WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

​​

[Updated 3/2 - See penitent explanation below] 

Hey, we're going to test something this month and see how it goes. In March we're charging $5 standard shipping for everything on Shirt.Woot. Here’s you flipping a table in response: 

(°°)╯︵ 

BUT we will also be lowering the price of everything. Here’s you politely righting that table: 

-゜ノ)

If you shopped with us in February you know we were calling these “Bundle Sales” and they only applied to certain sales types. Basically, everything is a bundle sale in March. This may seem like underhanded hucksterism, but we’re actually pretty confident that it’s a good thing. Why? 

• If you buy one of the daily shirts, the price is exactly the same ($7 + $5 = $12)
  • If you buy more than one shirt in an order you will save money (see table below)
  • If you add a shirt to your cart, you unlock “free” shipping on an item from another Woot site.
  • BUT The price of buying a single Woot Plus or Catalog shirt goes up by $1 (as it did in February)

Here is an explanatory table we clearly screenshotted from Excel:

We’ve been in this “Internet” business long enough to know that some people will be upset with a change of this magnitude, so let us know in the comments exactly why you don’t like it (or why you do). Like we said, this is a test that we hope works out for everybody (especially you), but if it really sucks we'll go back to the old ways. 

UPDATE: 
So here’s the deal: We have raised the price of the Catalog shirts by $1 in this test. Basically, we miscalculated our shipping efficiency and underestimated how many Catalog shirts we’d sell. We recognize that this might seem a little crappy, and we encourage you all to keep us honest in the comments.

Quality Posts

lordbowen

quality posts: 837 Private Messages lordbowen

For those who only want to buy one shirt at a time, there's no total cost difference. For those who want two or more shirts, there's a nice savings. But rest assured, someone will complain simply because it involves a change.

You go, Woot!

computermd82

quality posts: 38 Private Messages computermd82

I just came here to post my 2 cents.. I think it's great!! Now when I buy shirts for myself and the Mrs., we actually save

Thanks!

Edit: Just bought 4 shirts (Daily plus 3 side sale shirts) and it came to $36 shipped. Before, that would have been $48. Sweet

"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

fablefire

quality posts: 37 Private Messages fablefire

That's awesome for all of the new folks just getting a start on their woot collections. And for Christmas time.

Will artists still get $2 per shirt?

lordbowen

quality posts: 837 Private Messages lordbowen
fablefire wrote:That's awesome for all of the new folks just getting a start on their woot collections. And for Christmas time.

Thought you got paid per fox.

drwootshirts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drwootshirts
WootBot wrote:

So... the daily limit is still 3, right? Or is there a plan to increase it to 5?

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca

i think this is fine as long as the prices of the shirts do not go up when you make this permanent.

sammydog01

quality posts: 61 Private Messages sammydog01

What about the random shirt sales? Are you tacking on shipping to the current price?

cosmicsecret

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmicsecret

It charges me $10 shipping now for one shirt and if i add one from another bundle it adds again $10 for shipping makes it $20 shipping for 2 shirts to germany.

Other daily shirt sites charge me for int shipping $4 for one shirt and $5.60 for 2 shirts.

Please explain. Thank you

Narfcake

quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

This is great news for the penny pinching folks and it will help move some volume, but as I see it, it's not volume that's the direct issue but quality ... and the race to the bottom dollar doesn't suggest that we'll see it improve.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

skemmis

quality posts: 24 Private Messages skemmis
cosmicsecret wrote:It charges me $10 shipping now for one shirt and if i add one from another bundle it adds again $10 for shipping makes it $20 shipping for 2 shirts to germany.

Other daily shirt sites charge me for int shipping $4 for one shirt and $5.60 for 2 shirts.

Please explain. Thank you

We always charged individual international shipping from orders containing many sales types. Basically, if you order a shirt from the Top 20 and a shirt form a Plus Sale, you'll get charged $7 + $10(shipping) + $10 + $10(shipping) = $37, which is what you always would have been charged ($12 + $5(shipping) + $15 + $5).

If you order two shirts from the reckoning, or two shirts from the same plus sale, you will only be charged international shipping once.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the feedback. We know this one is confusing.

skemmis

drwootshirts wrote:So... the daily limit is still 3, right? Or is there a plan to increase it to 5?

I knew I was gonna mess something up ;P

Yes, it's still 3.

skemmis

fablefire wrote:That's awesome for all of the new folks just getting a start on their woot collections. And for Christmas time.

Yes, artists will still get $2 per shirt (not per fox, unfortunately).

This is actually one of the biggest potential impacts of this change: Because we expect folks to buy more shirts for cheaper, that means we will pay artists more over a given time period (since y'all are paid per shirt, not, ahem, as a percentage of the price).

skemmis

Narfcake wrote:This is great news for the penny pinching folks and it will help move some volume, but as I see it, it's not volume that's the direct issue but quality ... and the race to the bottom dollar doesn't suggest that we'll see it improve.

Just wait...

caramelarrow

quality posts: 19 Private Messages caramelarrow

I'm curious how this will impact prices and sales of non-shirt items (mugs, aprons, "crates," sweatshirts, etc.).

I think this has the potential to be a good idea, as long as it's not followed by another change to higher shirt prices a few months later. The last time prices were changed, it was followed by an even bigger change in the actual shirts used. I pretty much stopped buying shirts at that point since I want to spend my limited "discretionary funds" on items of quality. I don't spend those funds at stores ending in "mart" and I won't spend them on shirts ending in "vil." Use better quality shirts and I'll buy again.

skemmis wrote:Just wait...

So is the quality of the printing going to be better (less off-center, skewed, etc.) or the quality of the shirts (something other than the current blank brand), or, hope of hopes, better quality on both!! Waiting........

07/11/14

Narfcake

quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

skemmis wrote:Yes, artists will still get $2 per shirt (not per fox, unfortunately).

I'm picturing Fable dropping her pencil over a large fox doodle design she was working on, going "darn".

This is actually one of the biggest potential impacts of this change: Because we expect folks to buy more shirts for cheaper, that means we will pay artists more over a given time period (since y'all are paid per shirt, not, ahem, as a percentage of the price).

Threadless changed their commission structure again, though I have no idea how many shirts they sell at the full $25 ($7 to the artist) versus when they have a sale ($1 minimum).

You mean it gets worse?!

caramelarrow wrote:... So is the quality of the printing going to be better (less off-center, skewed, etc.) or the quality of the shirts (something other than the current blank brand), or, hope of hopes, better quality on both!! Waiting........

Both is most preferable. Also, any announcements better not be exactly one month from today.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

pete1123

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pete1123

I think this is a more "fair" pricing schedule then the bundle sales of last month - at least it doesn't really change those of us who are running out of laundry space… and it certainly makes buying extras for gifts much more attractive. This… this idea I like.

Changes? Hmm… as a non-AA advocate (because breasts) I'm concerned. If it's shirts, I hope we get the multiple blank choice - when we've had the "choices" sales then everyone gets the fit they like and everyone wins. Of course if we can get the Hanes blanks another "site" is now using... (I need to find out what they are because they feel about 3x as heavy as the old "Beefy" tees. Seriously, these shirts could be winter coats!) I guess I'll be sitting waiting on more news as well.

skemmis

caramelarrow wrote:I'm curious how this will impact prices and sales of non-shirt items (mugs, aprons, "crates," sweatshirts, etc.).

We're still working this out, but for the most part it should approximate the other changes (lower price by $5, add $5 shipping). There are a few cases where the economics get squirrely but mostly on low-cost items (e.g. stickers).

lonelypond

quality posts: 667 Private Messages lonelypond

Thanks for not raising the price on the dailies. I too have been comforting myself with the 'might spend less than last Christmas' thought ; )

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 61 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

As someone who considers buying several of the same shirt for my kids, it would work out for me. I have passed several times because the design didn't rise to the "worth $36" level. But it might rise to $26 level.

Just in time for my kids to have outgrown the age when they let me dress them and won't wear the same shirts anymore...

Bandrik

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Bandrik

It sounds like you guys are applying the feedback you got on the "bundle sale" pricing ideas. Good job!

Overall I think this is a fine change. Dailies stay the same, and there are cost savings to savvy shoppers who know to buy in bulk.

But aside from cost savings, my biggest shout will continue to be to OFFER AMERICAN APPAREL SHIRTS AGAIN! I don't care if it's a price premium option. I'll pay it! Logistics headache you say? I prefer to pronounce it "buckets of money".

kalle3507

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalle3507

┻━┻︵ \(°□°)/ ︵ ┻━┻
┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

rangerlg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rangerlg

Are the armpit holes going to form quicker? The last three or four shirts I've gotten have developed armpit holes after 3 or 4 washes.

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn

I will remain cautiously optimistic. I like the new pricing structure, since I rarely buy more than one tee, but the current blanks are just 'short' of a disaster. I was ok with the anvil, and initially liked the cut of the 'mystery blanks' but post washing, they're really too short to be comfortable. So...fingers crossed for something better, please!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

lilamanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilamanda

I don't mind the new pricing and it may even be nice! My issue is with the new shirt quality. They are so short and not near as soft.

If I have any issue with the price it is because the new shirt quality isn't worth the price. Please go back to one of the other softer options.

Bandrik

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Bandrik
lordbowen wrote:Thought you got paid per fox.

Close. More like "paid per fox that orders her shirts."

Edit: I later realized that I was wearing a fablefire fox shirt at the time of original writing. I guess the statement above is true. =3

Beckybeq

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Beckybeq
rangerlg wrote:Are the armpit holes going to form quicker? The last three or four shirts I've gotten have developed armpit holes after 3 or 4 washes.

For my son, it's in the neck area. Little holes between the neck tape and the design. In EVERY SINGLE SHIRT.

kalee11

quality posts: 41 Private Messages kalee11

As someone who almost always only buys one shirt because I can't stand spending too much money at one time, I still love this change. It doesn't affect those who just buy one (except the woot plus shirts, but seriously if amidst all these potential savings you're upset about $1, you've got bigger problems) and it definitely saves those who buy multiples a significant amount of money. What a great change, Woot, thanks!

Kirpaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kirpaul

Is the $5 flat shipping not working if you buy the daily shirt with other shirts?

I have 3 shirts in my cart - and I'm getting charged $10 for shipping.

Anyone else have that problem?

Jordbaer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Jordbaer
lilamanda wrote:I don't mind the new pricing and it may even be nice! My issue is with the new shirt quality. They are so short and not near as soft.

If I have any issue with the price it is because the new shirt quality isn't worth the price. Please go back to one of the other softer options.

My problem was the weird cut of the shirts I bought in the latter half of 2014, especially around the shoulders/arms. I've seen some recent designs I liked, but I'm not willing to risk more shirts I can't wear.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 172 Private Messages agingdragqueen
Kirpaul wrote:Is the $5 flat shipping not working if you buy the daily shirt with other shirts?

I have 3 shirts in my cart - and I'm getting charged $10 for shipping.

Anyone else have that problem?

I checked and I'm not getting that issue, could you PM me a screenshot of your cart? You can upload to imgur here and then PM me here with the link. I'd really like to check in on that (and if anyone else has that problem too, please feel free to do the same).

skemmis

agingdragqueen wrote:I checked and I'm not getting that issue, could you PM me a screenshot of your cart? You can upload to imgur here and then PM me here with the link. I'd really like to check in on that (and if anyone else has that problem too, please feel free to do the same).

I fixed it which is why you're not seeing it, ADQ :/

We'll be following up with folks who got charged twice and refunding them.

Kirpaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kirpaul

Yup - fixed here. Went to take a screenshot and saw your response.

Thanks!

skemmis wrote:I fixed it which is why you're not seeing it, ADQ :/

We'll be following up with folks who got charged twice and refunding them.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 172 Private Messages agingdragqueen
Kirpaul wrote:Yup - fixed here. Went to take a screenshot and saw your response.

Thanks!

In the future, we will try to speak more amongst ourselves!

leandrahime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leandrahime

It's great if you buy more than one shirt at a time, but I usually don't. I usually only buy the shirt of the day or something on sale. So for me, I'm basically required to buy more than one shirt to get savings, and I don't always find more than one. I feel it's a shady ploy to get you to buy more than one at a time, and I disapprove.

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn
leandrahime wrote:It's great if you buy more than one shirt at a time, but I usually don't. I usually only buy the shirt of the day or something on sale. So for me, I'm basically required to buy more than one shirt to get savings, and I don't always find more than one. I feel it's a shady ploy to get you to buy more than one at a time, and I disapprove.

This is how I feel about the coupons that are only valid on purchases of $20 or more. If there were consistently single items priced at $20 or more, it would be swell, but there are not, and even when there are, odds on it's not a design or format I want.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 174 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Judging from the "All design/Catalog" sell out the last two days, it looks like a large chunk of the buyers are getting their two or more shirt bundles and cheap shipping.

thuja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thuja

You haven't shown all the data, but the changes sound to me like a firm's rational decision given what you have found out about your marginal costs of producing and shipping shirts versus the marginal demand for your shirts. It's what microecon says is best for your profits and is also best for society as a whole. Please profit maximize in this way!

tracieb1015

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tracieb1015
lilamanda wrote:I don't mind the new pricing and it may even be nice! My issue is with the new shirt quality. They are so short and not near as soft.

Thank you for mentioning softness. The main reason I became a Shirt Woot junkie was the coolness of some of the shirts and the fact that they were sooo soft. I don't order from too many other sites just because...well there's no room in my closet, but when I do they seem a little thinner and they are never as soft. Of course they are usually less expensive so you get what you pay for. Unfortunately I have become very selective in the shirts I buy because I just don't love the feel aa much, the quality of the shirt is not as good either. Plus, I haven't seen a whole bunch lately to tickle my fancy. That is not a complaint about the artists, I just have specific tastes, the art is still awesome. I'm very excited about the new pricing as I tend to supply my best friend with shirts and I usually like them also. Since she only gets a few a year I normally only buy the one, at under 20.00, I might get one too! I have to say I was very sad at the prices of the random shirt sale. I wanted a couple of them something fierce and then found out they were more expensive..on a sale. Ok sorry for the long post, being sick in bed makes me ramble...more than usual.

bronwyndevore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bronwyndevore

For me, this is not a good deal. I buy shirts one a time, as a general rule, both due to finances and finding a design I want while looking through the catalog. It's only a $1 increase, true, but this time, it was enough to keep me from hitting the "place your order" button.