olcubmaster

quality posts: 33 Private Messages olcubmaster

There may soon be one less option when buying a shirt. Apparently American Apparel filed for banukruptcy (again) today.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Narfcake

quality posts: 378 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Gildan is looking to acquire them out of bankruptcy ... which means the large gets even larger. They bought Anvil 4 years ago and Alstyle back in May this year.

... Similarly, Gildan has asked for the opportunity to maintain certain of our manufacturing, distribution and warehouse operations in and around Los Angeles. ...

I do hope that remains true. Shirts made in the USA has been the biggest selling point for me. And I sincerely hope they don't f-up the fit of the 2001 like they already did with the 980.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and American Apparel (AA) options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

greeneking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeneking

ohhhhh noooooo..... been LOVING these AA shirts.

GILDAN? They are almost always very rough and scratchy on the skin. Maybe they are resistant to wash-wear, but they're not very comfortable. (This is why all my fave band tee shirts are getting stitched into a quilt rather than worn!)

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

greeneking wrote:ohhhhh noooooo..... been LOVING these AA shirts.

GILDAN? They are almost always very rough and scratchy on the skin. Maybe they are resistant to wash-wear, but they're not very comfortable. (This is why all my fave band tee shirts are getting stitched into a quilt rather than worn!)

The bankruptcy buyout has not been finalized yet; in the interim, it's business as usual with AA. The long term remains to be seen.

The standard Gildan 2000 and 5000 are about as soft as sandpaper. Their 64000 "softstyle" is their ring-spun shirt with the awkward cut that they've since inflicted onto Anvil also.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and American Apparel (AA) options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

greeneking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeneking
Narfcake wrote:The bankruptcy buyout has not been finalized yet; in the interim, it's business as usual with AA. The long term remains to be seen.

The standard Gildan 2000 and 5000 are about as soft as sandpaper. Their 64000 "softstyle" is their ring-spun shirt with the awkward cut that they've since inflicted onto Anvil also.

Thanks for the warning, Narfcake...that Anvil cut is terrible. If I lift my arms, I get instant epaulets at best, puffy Bo-Peep sleeves at worst!

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

greeneking wrote:Thanks for the warning, Narfcake...that Anvil cut is terrible. If I lift my arms, I get instant epaulets at best, puffy Bo-Peep sleeves at worst!

It's why I need to size up on them; in AA, I typically buy ML for some breathing room, but for the mutant Anvils, anything less than a MXL pinches my armpits.

Some folks are fine, some aren't. Offering choices is good ... because other sites don't, so I don't buy from them anymore.

Aracos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Aracos

Looks like Amazon might be a potential buyer. That could be a good thing for those of us that prefer the AA blanks here.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Aracos wrote:Looks like Amazon might be a potential buyer. That could be a good thing for those of us that prefer the AA blanks here.

Even with the misgivings here at Woot, of the four companies vying for AA, Amazon might just be their best bet. They have sufficiently deep pockets AND retail market share to be able to grow them.

SColburn

quality posts: 28 Private Messages SColburn

American Apparel no longer... American. I dunno, I usually like Gildan stuff. Reuters

x5

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

SColburn wrote:American Apparel no longer... American. I dunno, I usually like Gildan stuff. Reuters

Or rather, a full circle? The founder is Canadian and was Canadian owned for a while too.

Of the companies vying for AA, Gildan is not the worst, but knowing how they've been about the bottom dollar, I do question how much of AA's future will remain in America.

FWIW, in the last 5 years, Gildan has purchased:
2012 - Anvil, $88 million
2013 - New Buffalo, $7 million
2014 - Doris, $102 million
2015 - Comfort Colors, $100 million
2016 - Peds, $55 million
2016 - Alstyle, $110 million
2017 - American Apparel, $88 million

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 30 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

Narfcake wrote:Or rather, a full circle? The founder is Canadian and was Canadian owned for a while too.

Of the companies vying for AA, Gildan is not the worst, but knowing how they've been about the bottom dollar, I do question how much of AA's future will remain in America.

FWIW, in the last 5 years, Gildan has purchased:
2012 - Anvil, $88 million
2013 - New Buffalo, $7 million
2014 - Doris, $102 million
2015 - Comfort Colors, $100 million
2016 - Peds, $55 million
2016 - Alstyle, $110 million
2017 - American Apparel, $88 million

Narfcake, your knowledge of shirt brands and their inner workings is an inspiration. Seriously, how do you do it?!

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

TaylorSwiftsHaircut wrote:Narfcake, your knowledge of shirt brands and their inner workings is an inspiration. Seriously, how do you do it?!

By sleeping on it! Seriously, the typical t-shirt made with carded open ended cotton makes for horrible pillows because they're rough and not all that soft. So over the years, I've learned to be picky with brands I like (and dislike).

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 30 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

Narfcake wrote:By sleeping on it! Seriously, the typical t-shirt made with carded open ended cotton makes for horrible pillows because they're rough and not all that soft. So over the years, I've learned to be picky with brands I like (and dislike).

Instructions unclear. Just got yelled at for napping on the job.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

TaylorSwiftsHaircut wrote:Instructions unclear. Just got yelled at for napping on the job.

You were learning, not napping!

Osmosis

computermd82

quality posts: 38 Private Messages computermd82

Just found this article, immediately came over here of course. If everything laid out in this article is true, it is a sad day..

http://gothamist.com/2017/01/13/rip_american_apparel.php

"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

Inatangle

quality posts: 115 Private Messages Inatangle
computermd82 wrote:Just found this article, immediately came over here of course. If everything laid out in this article is true, it is a sad day..

http://gothamist.com/2017/01/13/rip_american_apparel.php

Oh no! This is awful!

If American Apparel dies, I don't know what I will do. There is NO WAY that I'd even consider going back to buying Anvils.