sittle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle

Hello wooters,

Long time no chat! My last couple of shirt purchases were all Direct To Garmet printing.

I'm not a fan of the DTY, I find that the edges come out soft and slightly blurred.

Are all the shirts from shirt.woot going to be printed DTG or will screen printing come back still be used?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1002 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sittle wrote:Hello wooters,

Long time no chat! My last couple of shirt purchases were all Direct To Garmet printing.

I'm not a fan of the DTY, I find that the edges come out soft and slightly blurred.

Are all the shirts from shirt.woot going to be printed DTG or will screen printing come back still be used?


Most of our shirts now are DTG. We use screen print when we have a large quantity of orders and for some special items such as glow-in-the-dark and metallic inks.


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sittle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
ThunderThighs wrote:Most of our shirts now are DTG. We use screen print when we have a large quantity of orders and for some special items such as glow-in-the-dark and metallic inks.



.... bummer. Is there anyway it can be denoted on pre-sales?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1002 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sittle wrote:.... bummer. Is there anyway it can be denoted on pre-sales?


No. It depends on the sales. It's an operations decision based on the number they have to print.


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sittle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
ThunderThighs wrote:No. It depends on the sales. It's an operations decision based on the number they have to print.



Double bummer.

greeneking


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeneking

Same here....and my DTG shirts don't do as well in the washing machine either, they start to look weathered long before the screen prints.

I wonder....since we can see how many are sold, would it be possible to have a " tipping" number available to purchasers, after which it'd be a screen print? Might encourage folks to buy....

benwyeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages benwyeth

Staff

Howdy, folks! Thanks for bringing this up, sittle.

If we could, we’d love to screen print all of our designs. But for now, ThunderThighs is right. A vast majority of our orders are printed DTG because it's simply more cost effective at our current volume of sales.

To your point, greenking, the labor, materials, & set-up time for screen printing typically don't become profitable until we receive at least 200 orders of a particular size set.

For screen printing, most designs require different size screens for different shirt sizes, since a design that will look good on a men’s large, will be too big for a woman’s small, and even more so for kid sizes.

This means that even though we typically receive more than 200 orders for something like a Daily design, those orders are split between men's, women's and kids, so the individual size sets don't often reach the 200-order threshold needed to be bumped off of DTG and over to the screen presses. Does that make sense?

All that said, now that our team consists of more than just Audrey (may she ever be praised for keeping the lights on all alone for so long), we’re working on some plans to start increasing traffic to the site so that we can start increasing sales, and start increasing the frequency that we are able to use our screen printing presses.

In the meantime, know that we’re also working on ways to make our DTG prints look even better.

Well, I’ve droned on long enough. Hopefully this helps clarify why we do things the way we do them! And as always, feel free to reach out to me directly if you ever need help or have questions: benwyeth’at’woot.com

Thanks!

BEN WYETH
Art Director - Shirt.Woot

Narfcake


quality posts: 381 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benwyeth wrote:If we could, we’d love to screen print all of our designs. But for now, ThunderThighs is right. A vast majority of our orders are printed DTG because it's simply more cost effective at our current volume of sales.


This may be one part that has been forgotten. Traffic has diminished here since "the change" 5 years ago on this very day, along with other bumps along the way, so sales aren't what they used to be.

The "share it to win" model has seems to work for several other daily shirt sites.

I also wonder if the pricing remains a confusing or deciding point for potential wooters; there are still occasions of "I'm not paying $5 to ship a $7 shirt.", not understanding that it's EXACTLY THE SAME as $12 with free shipping.

(I sort of brought up a while back too and was discussed in one of the Nice Shirt podcasts.)

5 years later, I think the standard blanks are still a major sour point. With AA having been bought out by Gildan (and to be dismantled) , the days of having an option is probably finite anyway. The purchasing decision may be out of Woot's hands, but IMHO, reverting to one supplier that fits well AND holds up may do much much much more wonders to continuing sales.

In the meantime, know that we’re also working on ways to make our DTG prints look even better.


I've been posting pics of some of my recent purchases in the shirt threads so other Wooters can see what the end result is. Long term durability may still be an issue, but my (early) DTG copy of Night and Day is still presentable ... once you look past all the holes in the shirt itself.

(I have since repurchased a copy on AA.)

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

transformingegg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages transformingegg
benwyeth wrote:

All that said, now that our team consists of more than just Audrey (may she ever be praised for keeping the lights on all alone for so long), we’re working on some plans to start increasing traffic to the site so that we can start increasing sales, and start increasing the frequency that we are able to use our screen printing presses.



Great to hear a little bit more about what is going on behind the scenes at shirt woot! Keep that sort of info coming! I'm looking forward to seeing the new developments in action. Hoping you settle well into the new role as Art Director!

benwyeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages benwyeth

Staff

Thanks, transforming egg! Lots of good things to come.

BEN WYETH
Art Director - Shirt.Woot

jaquadro


quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaquadro

Thanks for the most detailed explanation so far. For a while I've tried to use the listed sale count as a guide for whether a shirt might screen or not, but I didn't consider the different size issue.

My biggest problem with DTG is that I have never seen it reproduce vibrant colors on a shirt I bought. I've passed on some designs for that reason.

sittle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
benwyeth wrote:Howdy, folks! Thanks for bringing this up, sittle.

If we could, we’d love to screen print all of our designs. But for now, ThunderThighs is right. A vast majority of our orders are printed DTG because it's simply more cost effective at our current volume of sales.

To your point, greenking, the labor, materials, & set-up time for screen printing typically don't become profitable until we receive at least 200 orders of a particular size set.

For screen printing, most designs require different size screens for different shirt sizes, since a design that will look good on a men’s large, will be too big for a woman’s small, and even more so for kid sizes.

This means that even though we typically receive more than 200 orders for something like a Daily design, those orders are split between men's, women's and kids, so the individual size sets don't often reach the 200-order threshold needed to be bumped off of DTG and over to the screen presses. Does that make sense?

All that said, now that our team consists of more than just Audrey (may she ever be praised for keeping the lights on all alone for so long), we’re working on some plans to start increasing traffic to the site so that we can start increasing sales, and start increasing the frequency that we are able to use our screen printing presses.

In the meantime, know that we’re also working on ways to make our DTG prints look even better.

Well, I’ve droned on long enough. Hopefully this helps clarify why we do things the way we do them! And as always, feel free to reach out to me directly if you ever need help or have questions: benwyeth’at’woot.com

Thanks!



Thanks Ben, I really appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Great points to Narfcake, I've noticed the same thing too about my screen prints, they look better, wash better and stand up to wear and tear better.

I understand Ben's points about the economics, there are tonnes of shirt sites like this, the competition is fierce and I understand how every dollar counts....

@benwyeth .... I understand that the back catalogue is DTG, are the dailies subject to the same sales thresholds as well?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1002 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sittle wrote:Thanks Ben, I really appreciate your feedback.
...
@benwyeth .... I understand that the back catalogue is DTG, are the dailies subject to the same sales thresholds as well?


Not @ben but yes, the dailies are subject to the same thresholds. With all shirts, there are 3 sizes for the designs - mens, small mens and womens, and kids - because the shirts are different sizes.

For screen print, that means 3 different sets of screens. A design size would need to sell 200 or so to qualify for screen.

And I should qualify that to say if the screen print machines are occupied, they could still to DTG.


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sittle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
ThunderThighs wrote:Not @ben but yes, the dailies are subject to the same thresholds. With all shirts, there are 3 sizes for the designs - mens, small mens and womens, and kids - because the shirts are different sizes.

For screen print, that means 3 different sets of screens. A design size would need to sell 200 or so to qualify for screen.

And I should qualify that to say if the screen print machines are occupied, they could still to DTG.



That's all bad news.... What is with you TT?? LOL!

Thank you for the information ThunderThighs!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1002 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sittle wrote:That's all bad news.... What is with you TT?? LOL!

Thank you for the information ThunderThighs!


Honesty and Transparency.


To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Narfcake


quality posts: 381 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

FWIW, my previous posts were not denials of issues, as I have had issues myself, but I still feel they're not production-wide issues.


(Three copies; one of these isn't going to hold up.)

Narfcake wrote:... Long term durability may still be an issue, but my (early) DTG copy of Night and Day is still presentable ... once you look past all the holes in the shirt itself. ...



No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

toastisart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toastisart

I have to agree with the folks on here but also say... I'm disappointed. Quality should be king vs. quantity.

ymmij1759


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ymmij1759

That is unfortunate. Sadly, I made my last Shirt.Woot purchase last week. It's only DTG, the shirts themselves feel cheap and do not fit well anymore. I refuse to support cheap, sloppy work, especially at the listed prices. Shame on you Shirt.Woot, you have lost a long term customer.

Narfcake


quality posts: 381 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

ymmij1759 wrote:... the shirts themselves feel cheap and do not fit well anymore. ...


Are you buying the standard (Anvil) or American Apparel (AA)? If it's the latter -- well, they're the same manufacturer/cut as the shirts offered from shirt.woot's inception back in 2007 to early-2012. If it's the former ... well, I've kvetched about it A LOT already; I think there were only a few pages in which I didn't have a post in on the mega Anvil thread + the mutant Anvil thread + many many many other threads.

The DTG copy of Night and Day posted above is over 3 years old; as you can see, the print is still presentable even though the shirt itself (Anvil) is pretty worn. Yes, there have been print issues, but they are still not the norm (IMHO); in my experiences, it's proven itself to be more durable than some other shirt site's (TL, TF, TT, SP) screen printed shirts.

Shirt.woot's prices are still among the lowest of any major crowdsourced daily shirt sites, compensates the artists the best, and no other major shirt site offers the option to purchase the shirts on USA-made blanks.


No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Narfcake wrote:...no other major shirt site offers the option to purchase the shirts on USA-made blanks.



in light of aa's sale to gildan, any opinions you'd like to share on the outlook for aa-blanks, and/or usa-made blanks in general?

Narfcake


quality posts: 381 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:in light of aa's sale to gildan, any opinions you'd like to share on the outlook for aa-blanks, and/or usa-made blanks in general?


Short term, there's still supply but I hope there are contingency plans in place already by Amazon/Woot. Seeing how Amazon was eyeing AA anyway, maybe they have plans on their own manufacturing? I don't know.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.