greeneking


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeneking

Derby rules say no cats....last I looked there were no fewer than NINE cat- motif shirts. If these are going to be disqualified, someone should do it soon.

Nothing against cat lovers, but it seems as if Cat Shirt is the default option for EVERY derby theme. I think people see it as best chance of getting votes. Swap out one syllable for MEOW and there you go.

Narfcake


quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

greeneking wrote:Derby rules say no cats...


Next week. That's a rule for next week's derby.

Cats are fine for this week. =^.^=

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Narfcake wrote:Next week. That's a rule for next week's derby.

Cats are fine for this week. =^.^=



Both weeks. This week also has cats listed under the DON'Ts

benwyeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages benwyeth

Staff

Howdy! @narfcake is right. The "No Cats" thing was listed in the "preview" section of last week's derby. It wasn't associated with the CelebriTee theme. Thus the cat entries.

But it IS a rule for the derby that runs this week ("Let There Be ART!"), and the week after ("Darkness and Light"). Hope that helps clarify things.

Now all we have to do is decide if big cats (i.e.- lions & tigers) fall under the "no cats" rule. ~sigh~

BEN WYETH
Art Director - Shirt.Woot

Narfcake


quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benwyeth wrote:... Now all we have to do is decide if big cats (i.e.- lions & tigers) fall under the "no cats" rule. ~sigh~


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger

They're cats.

Remember, the rejectionator has rejected designs for far more obscure reasons. Like the USA is fictitious.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
benwyeth wrote:Howdy! @narfcake is right. The "No Cats" thing was listed in the "preview" section of last week's derby. It wasn't associated with the CelebriTee theme. Thus the cat entries.

But it IS a rule for the derby that runs this week ("Let There Be ART!"), and the week after ("Darkness and Light"). Hope that helps clarify things.

Now all we have to do is decide if big cats (i.e.- lions & tigers) fall under the "no cats" rule. ~sigh~



Hate to be debbie downer, but it is still in the write up for the NO NO or this week...
Design DON’Ts involve: Derivative works (no Starry Nights, folks). Cats. Cream tees.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

"a derivative work is an expressive creation that includes major copyright-protected elements of an original, previously created first work" - shouldn't entries that reference star wars, guardians of the galaxy, or other preexisting movies/tv shows/what have you be considered "derivative works" and thus rejected?

acraigl


quality posts: 188 Private Messages acraigl
no1 wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

"a derivative work is an expressive creation that includes major copyright-protected elements of an original, previously created first work" - shouldn't entries that reference star wars, guardians of the galaxy, or other preexisting movies/tv shows/what have you be considered "derivative works" and thus rejected?



I'd have to agree. If it's a reference, it's probably derivative, versus completely original ideas/art/interpretation.

VOTE! >>

stiluk35


quality posts: 3 Private Messages stiluk35

No offense to Cat lovers but I am loving the derby themes that say No Cats... Some things are just over done. The same cats win every week and then don't seem to touch the top 20.

Narfcake


quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

stiluk35 wrote:... Some things are just over done. ...


As much as I like catshirts (even though I don't have a cat), I agree that it can be "too much of a good thing". I can't blame the artists, though -- catshirts as a catergory sell better as they're easily relatable, and if it's easier to win with catshirts, then give the audience what they want, right? -- moar catshirts!

In the past, I've noticed minor trends here and there of submitted designs related to a recent derby win(s). Is it hive mind at play? I don't know.

With all that said, votes have never corresponded to sales. DT derbies and HM's that outsell and outlast placed designs? Multiple times.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

stiluk35


quality posts: 3 Private Messages stiluk35

Yeah I completely agree and I don;t blame the artists for doing whatever they can to get paid. I just want to throw props to whoevers making the decision at woot to Put "No Cats" on a few of these derbies just to give the rest of us a chance lol.

Narfcake wrote:As much as I like catshirts (even though I don't have a cat), I agree that it can be "too much of a good thing". I can't blame the artists, though -- catshirts as a catergory sell better as they're easily relatable, and if it's easier to win with catshirts, then give the audience what they want, right? -- moar catshirts!

In the past, I've noticed minor trends here and there of submitted designs related to a recent derby win(s). Is it hive mind at play? I don't know.

With all that said, votes have never corresponded to sales. DT derbies and HM's that outsell and outlast placed designs? Multiple times.



Narfcake


quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

stiluk35 wrote:... to give the rest of us a chance lol.


Or you could ... give in.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates