WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If you’re a shirt nerd, you may be familiar with the recent woes of American Apparel. Indeed, no sooner had they shed their super pervy exec than the whole company fell to pieces, and long story short: AA is about to be 86’d here. It’s a real bummer. We’ve been searching for a viable replacement, and frankly sourcing a domestic partner who makes blank tees in the quantities we need has proven well nigh impossible. Again, if you’re a shirt nerd, that won’t surprise you either.

All this is to say we’re introducing a new ~~*premium*~~ brand. We’re not changing our prices - that would be lame. We’ve just gotta source new blanks, and we really like the AA replacement: Bella + Canvas. In terms of fit, it’s pretty close to AA, while still offering a snugger, more “modern” fit than the roomy Anvil counterparts. These new blanks are softer and lighter to the touch, too. It’s like wearing nonfat yogurt. To give ‘em a proper trial run, we put a bunch in the laundry about a billion times (or like 15) and they held up very well - just a little puckering in the collar. Not bad.

Some of you are undoubtedly wondering about country of origin. As we intimated above, we just couldn’t make a domestic manufacturer work. Although some Bella blanks are made in the US, they also come from Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Vietnam and Bangladesh. We’re sorry that we can’t guarantee your shirt will be manufactured in this great nation anymore. (But they’ll all still be printed in Dallas, obvs.)

By April 4th, AA will be “off the menu.” By then, if not sooner (today), we’ll have updated the sizing charts, FAQs, features text, and all the other places we foolishly boasted about AA. We’ll make sure you’ve got all the important info to help you make a smart shirt investment. And just in case we were unclear, we’re still offering Anvil as our standard option, so that won’t be impacted by this news. Literally nothing changes there.

QUICK NOTE: As totally cool people with MBAs say, there are “a lot of moving parts” with a transition like this. As such you MIGHT receive a Bella shirt if you ordered AA recently. Life is like a roulette wheel.

That’s it. We’re really sorry we’ve gotta do this. We were so thrilled to bring AA back for y’all, and we know how much that meant to the community. Hell, we even had to rent an eagle costume for the occasion. But these new blanks really feel nice and durable, and we think you’ll like them.

So now we’re in transition, and like all businessy things, this is a journey. Take our hand. Join us on this new adventure. Shirts.

Narfcake

quality posts: 381 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

A couple weeks ago, I was given an invite.
To test these out, to see what's left and what's right.
I wear men's large, a little loose, not tight.
One cared, one not, varied as one might.
I wore it during the day, I wore it during the night.
I wore it as undershirts, or just plain in sight.
And I can say that they passed alright.
-----
Disclaimer: I am not staff and my comments and perspectives are of my own.

Tags compared. AA's tags were always of the woven variety and permanent. The Bella/Canvas tags are of the paper variety; akin to the current Anvil tags, they aren't as soft and intended to be removable.

Necklines compared. Although looser than AA and current Anvil shirts, it's not as loose as the Anvil shirts of yore.

-----
New Canvas vs. AA. The AA shirt has been worn a few times before, cold washed/line dried. This compares well.

New Canvas vs. well worn AA. The AA shirt is over 5 years old and a thrift store purchase.

New Canvas vs. slightly worn Anvil. The Anvil is about a year and a half old and also a thrift store purchase.

AA (top) vs. Canvas (middle) vs. older Anvil (bottom). The AA and Anvil have each been worn over a dozen times and always been line dried; the Canvas has been washed/dryer-dried three times.

Same against a moderately used/dryer-dried AA:

Versus the "control copy":

Basically, they compare very well against AA when it comes to length and shrinkage (or its lack thereof).
-----
While the body of shirt's body compares well with AA, both pre- and post-wash, the shoulder and sleeves do differ a bit. For these, the black is an unwashed AA shirt, the green is an unwashed Canvas.

Longer on the upper:

Shorter on the lower:

Wider opening at the seam:

Its taper also differs from AA, but it's not as pronounced as the current Anvils, nor is its overall length as short as those sleeves either. It does make a difference when arms are fully extended upwards, but at no point did I feel it pinch my armpits like the Anvils do. Indeed, the longer cut at the body means it was less likely to ride up.

I approve of these, with the caveat that I still have some personal hesitation over what happened at Threadless several years back -- but that's me. Everybody's body is different, and it's great that Woot is still offering options.

If you have questions, post away.

-----
ETA #2: Expect that some colors may differ a bit. Here's a comparison pic of the kelly green for each manufacturer.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Narfcake wrote:A couple weeks ago, I was given an invite.
To test these out, to see what's left and what's right.
I wear men's large, a little loose, not tight.
One cared, one not, varied as one might.
I wore it during the day, I wore it during the night.
I wore it as undershirts, or just plain in sight.
And I can say that they passed alright.

Over this weekend, I'll be updating this post with pics and some of my thoughts.

In the meantime, if you have questions, post away.

fit? neck hole? length? soft?

how do they taste?

jaquadro

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaquadro

I'll be more curious to see how consistency and quality hold up as a bunch of these shirts start going out.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but AA seemed to be failing on the metric near the end. With a third of my AA shirts having worse armpit pinching than Anvil, and one of my AA shirts starting to unthread itself in the wash.

Speaking of the armpit issue...

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:fit? neck hole? length? soft?

how do they taste?

Yes. Slightly looser. About the same. Soft to softer.

I did not try to eat my catshirts. I'm not Alf.

(BTW, I edited your post to reflect my edited post.)

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

rglee129

quality posts: 29 Private Messages rglee129

I was heartbroken when we went away from AA originally, but this sounds great. Thank you for transitioning over so thoughtfully.

challisora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages challisora

Awesome, I prefer those, actually

meep116

quality posts: 1 Private Messages meep116

Does this mean there's a chance of getting orange shirts again?

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

meep116 wrote:Does this mean there's a chance of getting orange shirts again?

I'm actually hoping more for creme.

ppeoney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ppeoney

Any chance of carrying V-necks now that you are changing sources?

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 32 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

ppeoney wrote:Any chance of carrying V-necks now that you are changing sources?

I haven't heard any discussion of that option. Sorry.

bendb

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bendb
Narfcake wrote:
I approve of these, with the caveat that I still have some personal hesitation over what happened at Threadless several years back

I read the linked post, but not the pages of comments below it.

Could you provide two or three sentences of explanation as to how it relates to things here? You have made me curious!

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

bendb wrote:I read the linked post, but not the pages of comments below it.

Could you provide two or three sentences of explanation as to how it relates to things here? You have made me curious!

The Threadless blanks in context were supplied by Bella/Canvas at the time. Having also noticed subsequent variances between blanks made in different countries, I personally still hold a "proceed slowly" stance. I don't "avoid them" like some other blanks (coughcough), but I haven't purchased so many (yet) to have my QC fears fully eased either.

Buddha's Forum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Buddha's Forum

Any chance we can get size "Tent" for us "Larger Than Life" Guys? Even the 3 X's were insulting....#CasualMaleWoot

Security through Obscurity is not a valid control...

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 43 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Approval from narfcake means a lot to me. I'll give 'em a chance.

I also noticed faster ink damage on my last few AA shirts, so I'm hoping this is less of an issue going forward as well.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Buddha's Forum wrote:Any chance we can get size "Tent" for us "Larger Than Life" Guys? Even the 3 X's were insulting....#CasualMaleWoot

Not that I'm aware of -- but I'm not staff. While the standard Anvil has a wider body, it does shrink more and has shorter sleeves.

ChronoSquall14 wrote:Approval from narfcake means a lot to me. I'll give 'em a chance.

I also noticed faster ink damage on my last few AA shirts, so I'm hoping this is less of an issue going forward as well.

I do need to edit my post above with comparison pics at the shoulder; the reason for the longer sleeve cut is because from shoulder-to-shoulder, they are narrower. Again, it doesn't bother me (versus armpit pinching), but it is a difference.

Since the Threadless issues, I maybe have 10 shirts that are printed on Canvas blanks, which isn't much of a personal sample base -- hence my hesitation ... which is probably trivial, since I suppose I could just write into CS if I really had issues. But that's in comparison to AA, in which I have hundreds and hundreds of since some of my early-2000s shirts from Cartoon Network Studios -- so I've been very very very familiar with their fit, feel, and expectations (like hems that weren't fully pressed flat all the time).

The print issues are all on Woot; although the majority has been fine, I do have some that have not held up either.

AiRTiMe34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AiRTiMe34

It'd be nice if we could get a coupon or something to try out the new brand, to see if we like it before we drop full price on a shirt that we could potentially never wear.

ChronoSquall14

I've grabbed up two for me and one for my kid. I'll report back once I get them!

fablefire

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fablefire

I've had a few Bella/Canvas shirts from other sites and they seem to vary in quality. Some last awhile and others fall apart. They're always super soft and delightful to wear at the beginning.

Thanks for continuing to offer another option, as Anvil does not work well on my body. Please keep an eye on quality control, though.

Inatangle

quality posts: 127 Private Messages Inatangle

I was just looking at the design catalog, and noticed that eggplant (purple) has vanished from the catalog.

Does this means no more purple, ever?

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Inatangle wrote:I was just looking at the design catalog, and noticed that eggplant (purple) has vanished from the catalog.

Does this means no more purple, ever?

Eggplant has never really been in the back catalog.

Purple is an available color for both brands, but AA's eggplant is a deeper and very unique shade.

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn

I ordered 2. I do prefer removable tags, and the sizes look good. Is the grass green a little duskier, or just me? I didn't have time to compare.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

fablefire wrote:I've had a few Bella/Canvas shirts from other sites and they seem to vary in quality. ...

Incidentally, I have recent Canvas shirt I need to write into CS about, albeit not shirt.woot's support. Collars should not be discoloring on its second wash.

Definitely not shirt.woot's issue or problem (gold isn't even used here), but it is a manufacturer's QC aspect.

Mavyn wrote:I ordered 2. I do prefer removable tags, and the sizes look good. Is the grass green a little duskier, or just me? I didn't have time to compare.

It is. AA's and Anvil's lean towards a warmer and brighter kelly green. There are hints of it in my sleeve comparison pics above, but I'll post some direct comparison pics this weekend.

Inatangle

Mavyn wrote:I ordered 2. I do prefer removable tags, and the sizes look good. Is the grass green a little duskier, or just me? I didn't have time to compare.

It definitely is a duskier shade. I just came here to post about the same thing. Actually, the word that came to my head when I first saw my shirt was "muddier."

Fortunately, the cheery colors in the design that I picked help overcome the new shade.

The new brand is very comfortable to wear, but the fit seems to be little snugger than I'd prefer. (Although I could be retaining water so I'm not sure about that.)

If another shirt comes up that I want to purchase in grass green, I'm not sure what I will do. I quit ordering Anvil shirts a long time ago because the designs seem to fade off of them more quickly.

It's a quandary.

ChronoSquall14

Well, everyone has worn their new shirts, and we're all reasonably pleased with them. I think the collar is a bit looser, but not egregiously so (and I'm pretty uptight about collars), the fit is solid, the feel is good, it's similar enough to AA that I feel comfortable buying these in the future.

cyenobite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyenobite

Just got my latest 'premium' shirt, and I'm not really a huge fan of the fabric. It feels thinner to me. I've been a long time customer of shirt.woot, and almost all my shirts now come from shirt.woot. I'm very picky now as to the feel of my shirts (thanks to you guys). I hope you'll continue to search for a new vendor, or at least push your current vendor for a closer match to AA.
Thanks for listening.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

cyenobite wrote:Just got my latest 'premium' shirt, and I'm not really a huge fan of the fabric. It feels thinner to me. ...

4.2oz fabric weight vs 4.3oz, so yes, these are slightly thinner/lighter.

greeneking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeneking

oops...I posted this in a separate thread, but adding here also:

Just got some Bella Canvas tees, now I can weigh in: they are just as soft as AA, they have really nice necklines like AA. The shoulder/armpit contstruction is not QUITE as good as AA but it's close....and best of all they are still LONG enough for tall guys!! Hooray!

My only complaint---it's a small one--- is that the light blue Bella Canvas are not as nice a color as the AA light blue. The label says baby blue but they're really more of a pale dusty grayish blue.

All in all pretty pleased with the new ones, and that my tall family members can continue to wardrobe themselves in Woot.

Will add more if there's anything of note to mention after washing them a few times.

lordbowen

quality posts: 830 Private Messages lordbowen

After reading all the above posts, I have a sinking feeling the new brand will not work for me. There is a premium shirt on its way here from the Wootoff. If it's the new brand, I'll have my answer in a few days. Keeping my fingers crossed, because Anvil is not an option and I do not want to have to give up my Woot shirts!

Inatangle

greeneking wrote:

.....My only complaint---it's a small one--- is that the light blue Bella Canvas are not as nice a color as the AA light blue. The label says baby blue but they're really more of a pale dusty grayish blue...

A few posts up from here I mentioned that the grass shade in Bella is not the same as AA's. I'm not thrilled with the current grass shade, but I can live with it if the design is good enough.

I'd like very much to know about all of the color differences (if any) between the two brands.

Narfcake, (or anyone else) would it be possible for you to post some photos showing the differences between Bella and AA shades?

Inatangle

lordbowen wrote:After reading all the above posts, I have a sinking feeling the new brand will not work for me. There is a premium shirt on its way here from the Wootoff. If it's the new brand, I'll have my answer in a few days. Keeping my fingers crossed, because Anvil is not an option and I do not want to have to give up my Woot shirts!

Don't worry... they're not so bad... once you get used to them.

My lone tee from Bella is comfortable, even if the color isn't quite as nice. I hope they work out for you.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Inatangle wrote:A few posts up from here I mentioned that the grass shade in Bella is not the same as AA's. I'm not thrilled with the current grass shade, but I can live with it if the design is good enough.

I'd like very much to know about all of the color differences (if any) between the two brands.

Narfcake, (or anyone else) would it be possible for you to post some photos showing the differences between Bella and AA shades?

I've updated my original post with a comparison pic of the Kelly Green; I'll post up comparison pics of Royal Blue this weekend as I have a few (cat) shirts on their way.

lordbowen

quality posts: 830 Private Messages lordbowen
Inatangle wrote:Don't worry... they're not so bad... once you get used to them.

My lone tee from Bella is comfortable, even if the color isn't quite as nice. I hope they work out for you.

Thanks! My Bella shirt arrived; it looks great and the material is very soft and comfortable. But the undersides of the sleeves ride up in an annoying way. I'll wash and wear the shirt a few times before deciding if I'll buy any more.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13

How can I figure out if a recent shirt I bought was on Anvil or the new Bella+Canvas blank? I like the fit of it a lot actually and haven't bought a shirt for a couple years so I'm way out of the loop on blanks and sizes and all that. The sizing chart looks like the two blanks are drastically different fit for women's sizes.

Edit: It was the Cat Nouveau, around St Patrick's day 2017

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

runnerfrog13 wrote:How can I figure out if a recent shirt I bought was on Anvil or the new Bella+Canvas blank? ...

Look back at your order history. Standard = Anvil. In March, the other option would be American Apparel, in which case the premium option (Bella/Canvas) is the replacement.

AiRTiMe34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AiRTiMe34

I took the plunge and bought a few of the new premiums. They're pretty soft, comparable to the AA. The deal breaker for me is the collars are super loose. Like way loose. So lame.