WootBot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Science Always Wins

Last Purchase:
4 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 38% of Shirt Woots
Top 8% of all Woots
Woots Sold:
687



Quality Posts


simic


quality posts: 14 Private Messages simic

Yay!
Congratulations!

lonelypond


quality posts: 667 Private Messages lonelypond

We can hope

lordbowen


quality posts: 830 Private Messages lordbowen

And that's why you want science on your side.

Congrats on the print, TQG1!



benson333


quality posts: 0 Private Messages benson333

Arsenic = As?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1006 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

benson333 wrote:Arsenic = As?


DOH! Firing off an email.


On vacation until 6/3. I will not answer private messages.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Inatangle


quality posts: 127 Private Messages Inatangle

Congratulations on your win, TQG!

mja1962


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mja1962

Science does always win, bit in this case, it won by cheating - along with Europium and Arsenic.

thatquietgir1


quality posts: 5 Private Messages thatquietgir1

YAY thanks for the votes everyone!

I just sent over a corrected art file to derby@woot.com, how embarrassing. Sorry about that!

tawyman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tawyman

Is the correction related to Arsenic? I am a science teacher and want this shirt, but my kids would definitely call me on it.

shanesny


quality posts: 4 Private Messages shanesny

Science is actually, quite often, wrong. The expanding Earth hypothesis, Fleischmann and Pons's theory of Cold Fusion, The Blank Slate Theory, Marshall Kay's geosynclinal cycle, even Einstein's own Static Universe theory -- all eventually proven wrong.

George Bernard Shaw once said, "Science is always wrong. It never solves a problem without creating ten more."

bobbyv003


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbyv003
shanesny wrote:Science is actually, quite often, wrong. The expanding Earth hypothesis, Fleischmann and Pons's theory of Cold Fusion, The Blank Slate Theory, Marshall Kay's geosynclinal cycle, even Einstein's own Static Universe theory -- all eventually proven wrong.

George Bernard Shaw once said, "Science is always wrong. It never solves a problem without creating ten more."



You can add the "Theory of Evolution" to this as well! God Bless!

Will do magic for bacon!

benwyeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages benwyeth

Staff

benson333 wrote:Arsenic = As?



It's been fixed. Thanks!

BEN WYETH
Art Director - Shirt.Woot

tshirtscribble


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tshirtscribble

Congratulations.

DrTorch


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DrTorch

Science always wins what?

This may be the dumbest woot shirt ever.

hilljx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hilljx

Apparently, Science is having to fight the woot comment wars. Strong work Quiet Girl. Congratulations on a witty shirt about something that shouldn't need to be said, but obviously does.

jjohnw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjohnw
bobbyv003 wrote:You can add the "Theory of Evolution" to this as well! God Bless!



You're a troll...

1075hoehn


quality posts: 5 Private Messages 1075hoehn
jjohnw wrote:You're a troll...



How so? I mean, not to get into a theological debate, but how does this make the comment troll related? Granted I may end up playing chess with a pigeon here, but please clear up this statement. Thanks.

rowdyred94


quality posts: 5 Private Messages rowdyred94

Love the shirt. Wish it was available in other colors.

Anyone bringing up the fact that evolution is "only a theory", then follows that trope with a tongue-in-cheek religious platitude, is a troll. For one thing, they don't know what a theory is. For another, they're obviously creationist, which is as far from scientifically literate as a person can get. In a discussion about science, that makes them a troll.

The shirt doesn't claim that science is always right. (For one thing, science isn't a body of knowledge, it's a process of understanding.) It basically states that nearly every significant improvement in the human condition has been due to science, and every debate that's ever been resolved between superstition and science has come out in favor of science. It is, without a doubt, our best means at arriving at the objective truth of a thing.

For one thing, science is self-correcting--scientists everywhere spend lifetimes trying to prove each other wrong. The best information persists, and the strongest explanations are developed into theories, such as that of gravity.

The hypotheses listed above as evidence of science's wrongness demonstrate a missed point: a hypothesis is presented as a test, not a result. Some of the most profound discoveries of science have been "accidents"--disproving hypotheses intended only as a means to discovery.

No other mechanism does this. Certainly not religion, which drags its feet at every turn in a vain attempt to preserve its status quo. Science always wins because it, at its essence, is pure and honest.

Wooting gleefully since 2008

geobas1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages geobas1
rowdyred94 wrote:Love the shirt. Wish it was available in other colors.

Anyone bringing up the fact that evolution is "only a theory", then follows that trope with a tongue-in-cheek religious platitude, is a troll. For one thing, they don't know what a theory is. For another, they're obviously creationist, which is as far from scientifically literate as a person can get. In a discussion about science, that makes them a troll.

The shirt doesn't claim that science is always right. (For one thing, science isn't a body of knowledge, it's a process of understanding.)




Yes yes yes. Science is the study of reality. The study of how things actually work and is the process by which we increase our understanding of our reality. It does not claim to instantly understand all of reality. Ideas are put forth, tested, retested and further understanding arrived at. Sometimes there is a complete misunderstanding of the facts , but science is also the means by which we prove that and discover the truth. Science assumes that it will be wrong and tries to prove itself so and only when it can't says "hey there might be something here"

Rejecting science is rejecting reality in favor of make believe. Take that any way you want.

DullBart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DullBart

Gravity is just a theory.
Join me in jumping off this building to disprove it!

soupgirl72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soupgirl72
rowdyred94 wrote: . . .



Thank you!!
Well Said.

Love This Shirt!
Nearly love this comment more :o)

arkytrash


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arkytrash

"You had me at Science"

paschendale69


quality posts: 2 Private Messages paschendale69

Unless of course you are Tom Brady vs the NFL.....

p2k2000


quality posts: 2 Private Messages p2k2000

Like the atom bomb! muahahahah

ckart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckart

I've noticed that it just says "premium" now. Is it no longer American Apparel?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1006 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ckart wrote:I've noticed that it just says "premium" now. Is it no longer American Apparel?


Correct. American Apparel is no more since it got bought up.

Here's our announcement.


On vacation until 6/3. I will not answer private messages.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Inatangle


quality posts: 127 Private Messages Inatangle

I'm posting here to report a glitch.

If I didn't know my way around Shirt Woot fairly well, I would think that this was still the featured shirt of the day, other than the new pricing. At this point in time, when you mouse over the top word "Shirt" in the green tool bar, this is the shirt that you see.

(The second place winner, "Cannon Ball Contest" does show properly in the box at the bottom of the page.)

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1006 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Inatangle wrote:I'm posting here to report a glitch.

If I didn't know my way around Shirt Woot fairly well, I would think that this was still the featured shirt of the day, other than the new pricing. At this point in time, when you mouse over the top word "Shirt" in the green tool bar, this is the shirt that you see.

(The second place winner, "Cannon Ball Contest" does show properly in the box at the bottom of the page.)


I'm seeing Cannon Ball in the upper navigation bar in both FF & Chrome.

Clear out your temps/cache?


On vacation until 6/3. I will not answer private messages.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Inatangle


quality posts: 127 Private Messages Inatangle
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm seeing Cannon Ball in the upper navigation bar in both FF & Chrome.

Clear out your temps/cache?



Oh golly... my computer is the glitch?

I use chrome. I don't exactly know how to clear my temps/cache, but my husband says he thinks he knows what you mean. Between him and I we'll give it a try.

(Now the 3rd place Derby winner is showing on the bottom of my screen, but "Science Always Wins" is still on top! I guess it is determined to win... lol )

thatquietgir1


quality posts: 5 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Inatangle wrote:Oh golly... my computer is the glitch?

I use chrome. I don't exactly know how to clear my temps/cache, but my husband says he thinks he knows what you mean. Between him and I we'll give it a try.

(Now the 3rd place Derby winner is showing on the bottom of my screen, but "Science Always Wins" is still on top! I guess it is determined to win... lol )



I am also seeing what you are, inatangle. If I am on any shirt.woot pages and I click Shirt, at the top, I can still see a preview of my design. However if I am on computers.woot or any other .woot and click Shirt, I see a preview of today's design. It seems to only be appearing that way on shirt.woot pages.

minnipie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages minnipie
rowdyred94 wrote:Love the shirt. Wish it was available in other colors.

Anyone bringing up the fact that evolution is "only a theory", then follows that trope with a tongue-in-cheek religious platitude, is a troll. For one thing, they don't know what a theory is. For another, they're obviously creationist, which is as far from scientifically literate as a person can get. In a discussion about science, that makes them a troll.

The shirt doesn't claim that science is always right. (For one thing, science isn't a body of knowledge, it's a process of understanding.) It basically states that nearly every significant improvement in the human condition has been due to science, and every debate that's ever been resolved between superstition and science has come out in favor of science. It is, without a doubt, our best means at arriving at the objective truth of a thing.

For one thing, science is self-correcting--scientists everywhere spend lifetimes trying to prove each other wrong. The best information persists, and the strongest explanations are developed into theories, such as that of gravity.

The hypotheses listed above as evidence of science's wrongness demonstrate a missed point: a hypothesis is presented as a test, not a result. Some of the most profound discoveries of science have been "accidents"--disproving hypotheses intended only as a means to discovery.

No other mechanism does this. Certainly not religion, which drags its feet at every turn in a vain attempt to preserve its status quo. Science always wins because it, at its essence, is pure and honest.



THANK YOU! I LOVE this evaluation/description/whatever of Science and (with your permission) would LOVE to put it on a shirt, a bumper sticker, a poster, anything else I can (not for profit), because you clearly, succinctly and calmly hit the Science nail on the head and I really think that people beyond woot! comments need to read, understand and share this!

Coming from a long line of scientists and science thinkers, you have made my day!

Brilliant! and Bravo!

minnipie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages minnipie
minnipie wrote:THANK YOU! I LOVE this evaluation/description/whatever of Science and (with your permission) would LOVE to put it on a shirt, a bumper sticker, a poster, anything else I can (not for profit), because you clearly, succinctly and calmly hit the Science nail on the head and I really think that people beyond woot! comments need to read, understand and share this!

Coming from a long line of scientists and science thinkers, you have made my day!

Brilliant! and Bravo!



P.S. I have always found it "a bit" hypocritical that Science sceptics and Science deniers have NO TROUBLE AT ALL in reaping the benefits of Science: modern medicine, cars, washing machines, electricity, power, cell phones, tvs, computers, air travel, modern construction methods, modern production methods (books, housewares, plastics, etc.)...to name only a few aspects], but scream a blue streak if Science is ever given any credibility.

Inatangle


quality posts: 127 Private Messages Inatangle
thatquietgir1 wrote:I am also seeing what you are, inatangle. If I am on any shirt.woot pages and I click Shirt, at the top, I can still see a preview of my design. However if I am on computers.woot or any other .woot and click Shirt, I see a preview of today's design. It seems to only be appearing that way on shirt.woot pages.



Thanks for letting me know! I haven't had a chance to try to "fix this" yet... now I'm thinking that it could be a Woot problem. I see what you mean about this shirt showing up at the top, but only on shirt Woot.

zenobia13


quality posts: 3 Private Messages zenobia13

I ordered 3 of these for my grandchildren, ages 8, 10 and 13. The oldest boy is very tall and thin, and the other 2 are on the solid side. I purchased a men's small, a women's medium and a youth 12, all in "premium". They arrived today and I'm almost certain they'll all be too small. The women's MEDIUM should hang on my pre-adolescent granddaughter, but I'm not sure she'll be able to get it over her head.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1006 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

zenobia13 wrote:I ordered 3 of these for my grandchildren, ages 8, 10 and 13. The oldest boy is very tall and thin, and the other 2 are on the solid side. I purchased a men's small, a women's medium and a youth 12, all in "premium". They arrived today and I'm almost certain they'll all be too small. The women's MEDIUM should hang on my pre-adolescent granddaughter, but I'm not sure she'll be able to get it over her head.


The premium brand in women's is a smaller fit that's popular in the garment industry.

Compare the size chart for premium to the standard.


On vacation until 6/3. I will not answer private messages.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items