Back to Amazon.com

walmazan


quality posts: 72 Private Messages walmazan

Alex, this is a totally kickass work! I'm in for one!

Congrats!

djtheatre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre

Congrats on the print Alex... It looks awesome!!!

witchywmn277


quality posts: 0 Private Messages witchywmn277

This is a great design! It's about time something like this appears on woot instead of silly childlike, cartoonie, nonsence animals. Great job! Can't wait to get mine

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

That's some real Kracka-lacken art work there!
Congrats on your first print. I hope sells very well and reckons for a long time.!

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 61 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Yay! Congrats, Alex.











RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
NameyMcName wrote:Krake is singular and Kraken is plural. Or maybe it's the other way; not sure.

Edit: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken says Kraken is plural and Krake is singular, but it isn't talking about the mythical creature.



"The Kraken." There can be only one.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

shiva4921


quality posts: 2 Private Messages shiva4921

do NOT taunt the octopus!

daaave33


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daaave33

Looks a little like there may be some architectural coitus involved.

mrapropos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrapropos

UGH! If that building said "Welcome to Rapture" it would be like gold.

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC

Hey folks, this is my first printing at Woot! Thanks a lot for all the comments. When I came up with this idea, I was thinking, "wouldn't it be awesome if?" Those who know me know I love octopai and giant monsters destroying things, so this shirt was an inevitability for me.

jgh33jgh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jgh33jgh

Fried Calamari

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Prep Time:
10 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
20 min

Level:
Intermediate

Serves:
6 servings

Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1 pound clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rings
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, cut into wedges
1 cup simple tomato sauce, recipe follows or jarred marinara sauce, warmed

Directions

Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Mix the flour, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Working in small batches, toss the squid into the flour mixture to coat. Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and very pale golden, about 1 minute per batch. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the fried calamari to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.

Place the fried calamari and lemon wedges on a clean plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with the marinara sauce.


Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Mon Apr 25 2011

© 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved
Advertisement will not be printed

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
jgh33jgh wrote:Fried Calamari

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Prep Time:
10 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
20 min

Level:
Intermediate

Serves:
6 servings

Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1 pound clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rings
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, cut into wedges
1 cup simple tomato sauce, recipe follows or jarred marinara sauce, warmed

Directions

Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Mix the flour, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Working in small batches, toss the squid into the flour mixture to coat. Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and very pale golden, about 1 minute per batch. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the fried calamari to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.

Place the fried calamari and lemon wedges on a clean plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with the marinara sauce.


Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Mon Apr 25 2011

© 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved
Advertisement will not be printed



Delicious! I love calamari, squid is super tasty.

shlamele24


quality posts: 15 Private Messages shlamele24

First a "Hollywood" movie, then a Woot Shirt? It seems there is no stopping abnormally large octopi.

Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus Trailer. (classic)
Wikipedia article.

magyargirl


quality posts: 16 Private Messages magyargirl

Kraken is the German word for octopus, as someone sort of mentioned earlier with a link. Kraken is definitely singular, and Krake is plural!

rayray099


quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
SunflowerPrincess wrote:Can someone tell me what the womens shirts look like? Are they basically the same as the mens shirts, just sized differently?



You can see examples over at this thread:
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2419588&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=1724

Float410


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Float410

This tee would have been a lot cooler, except the Kraken wasnt a squid. Might want to watch the original Clash of the Titans again...

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Float410 wrote:This tee would have been a lot cooler, except the Kraken wasnt a squid. Might want to watch the original Clash of the Titans again...



Wasn't it a giant walking sea monster thing? I want a mechanized owl all over again now that you mentioned the movie.

NameyMcName


quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
magyargirl wrote:Kraken is the German word for octopus, as someone sort of mentioned earlier with a link. Kraken is definitely singular, and Krake is plural!



Are you sure? The articles used appear to be "der" Krake and "die" Kraken, which would mean Krake is masculine singular.

KristinHoward


quality posts: 1 Private Messages KristinHoward
SunflowerPrincess wrote:Can someone tell me what the womens shirts look like? Are they basically the same as the mens shirts, just sized differently?



They're cap sleeve tees. I'm 5'6, 130 lbs, 34C and I order Mediums.

Slydon


quality posts: 19 Private Messages Slydon
Float410 wrote:This tee would have been a lot cooler, except the Kraken wasnt a squid. Might want to watch the original Clash of the Titans again...



I loved it too, but that movie isn't really a good source for actual, historical non-Hollywood mythology.

can't make a living as a bay man any more

Dillsnik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dillsnik

Finally, A shirt without an "inside" joke!

So many of the designs that come through, while clever and well laid out, involve a tie to some obscure reference (usually so obscure that no girls i am trying to impress will ever get it, even if i find it funny lol). However, that "style" to me is not art, it's sunday morning cartoony...clever yes, but i hate shirts i have to explain. To me, there is nothing to explain in this shirt. Oh i know some will ask what it means...that's why I love it.

In for one!

Dillsnik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dillsnik

Ha, Just realized this will now make 2 shirts with an Octopus on them i own...can anyone beat that?

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Dillsnik wrote:Ha, Just realized this will now make 2 shirts with an Octopus on them i own...can anyone beat that?



hey thanks a lot dude! I own a few octopus shirts, and have an octopus tattoo. I designed my tat. It's a red octopus pouring a beer and eating sushi... once again, just like this shirt, I don't know where it came from or why I did it. I just like it.

Dillsnik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dillsnik
DJTweekNYC wrote:once again, just like this shirt, I don't know where it came from or why I did it. I just like it.



= Art

zekecatz


quality posts: 213 Private Messages zekecatz

Where are the pilotfish in their biplanes?

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
zekecatz wrote:Where are the pilotfish in their biplanes?



NYS Budget cuts

Randomfactor42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Randomfactor42

Looks like the creature survived the teleport process. That could be a problem. I'll get back to you. --Oz

macgeek30


quality posts: 0 Private Messages macgeek30
magyargirl wrote:Kraken is the German word for octopus, as someone sort of mentioned earlier with a link. Kraken is definitely singular, and Krake is plural!



I must object. I was born and raised in Germany, and I know "Krake" is singular, and "Kraken" is plural. Where do you get your information?

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 303 Private Messages Spiritgreen

If you need to exclaim that there is more than one Kraken heading towards you, you're so screwed that finding that right word really doesn't matter. ;)

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Spiritgreen wrote:If you need to exclaim that there is more than one Kraken heading towards you, you're so screwed that finding that right word really doesn't matter. ;)



I must agree

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
DJTweekNYC wrote:Hey folks, this is my first printing at Woot! Thanks a lot for all the comments. When I came up with this idea, I was thinking, "wouldn't it be awesome if?" Those who know me know I love octopai and giant monsters destroying things, so this shirt was an inevitability for me.



Congrats, Alex! It's really good to hear that your first print is something you hold dear and really care about. I am stoke for you, and I am always stoked when woot selects an original, independent design. This one rocks!

With all that said, I'm in for one!

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
chumpmagic wrote:Congrats, Alex! It's really good to hear that your first print is something you hold dear and really care about. I am stoke for you, and I am always stoked when woot selects an original, independent design. This one rocks!

With all that said, I'm in for one!



Thanks a lot Cole! Your the man!

reinzige


quality posts: 0 Private Messages reinzige

Not bad. You referenced the Algonquin Round Table, the Beatles, King Kong and the Marx Brothers all in one post.

eviledtee


quality posts: 1 Private Messages eviledtee
macgeek30 wrote:I was born and raised in Germany, and I know "Krake" is singular, and "Kraken" is plural.


Well, I am German and have lived in Germany all my life - and I can tell you macgeek30's information is correct:

- "Krake" is definitely singular (interestingly it's grammatically male whereas in colloquial language it's normally female)

- "Kraken" in German definitely is the plural form of "Krake"

Now, that being said, I remember having heard the word "Kraken" in an American movie I watched with English sound (I refuse to watch dubbed versions) being used in an English sentence and with an American English accent. In this case it was referring to only ONE octopus, not more than that.

My German-English dictionary translates the German word "Krake" to English giving the following options:
a) (Tintenfisch - that's German for cuttlefish or "squidd"): octopus;
b) (Meeresungeheuer - that's German for "marine monster") kraken.

So... According to the dictionary I used "kraken" should be an English word for "marine monster" - and it should be singular in English... Is that correct?

Dictionaries are never perfect... But like I said I remember the term being used in an American movie too (Pirates of the Caribbean 2 or 3 I think)...

So, the mythical creature would be "kraken" in English and the actual marine creature would be 8-legged and called squidd, right?

Cheers! ^^
edDy

xsolar47


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xsolar47

Anyone else think this shirt is phallic?

ainecful


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ainecful
eviledtee wrote:
Now, that being said, I remember having heard the word "Kraken" in an American movie I watched with English sound (I refuse to watch dubbed versions) being used in an English sentence and with a clearly American English accent. In this case it was referring to only ONE octopus, not more than that.
But from the thread here I gather it's not actually used in English language??
My German-English dictionary translates the German word "Krake" to English giving the following options:
a) (Tintenfisch - that's German for cuttlefish or squidd): octopus;
b) (Meeresungeheuer - that's German for marine monster) kraken

So... According to the dictionary I used "kraken" should be an English word for "marine monster" - and that it is singular in English...

Dictionaries are never perfect... But like I said I remember the term being used in an American movie (Pirates of the Caribbean 3 maybe??) - so is it possible the term actually also exists in English? Maybe used a couple of centuries ago rather than nowadays? Is that possible? :-?

Cheers! ^^
edDy



In English, 'kraken' is a singular term for a type of marine monster- a giant squid/octopus, often depicted with giant teeth and enormous tentacles. It originated in old mariners' tales, from tales of giant squids and destroyed ships.

Although I'd imagine it probably originated from the German (I'm not German, I wouldn't know), it is and has been for hundreds of years an English singular noun.

It was referenced in Pirates of the Caribbean, in the part where Davy Jones summons the kraken to take down the ship (and Captain Sparrow with it). Although they 'movie-d' it up a bit, it was a fairly accurate depiction of the legend of the kraken.

Here's two pictures of the traditional kraken, as it is used in English language/literature:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9py6IgNlFak/TFuGseNmLUI/AAAAAAAAAjI/qMu7dN6J9nw/s1600/Kraken.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/463/PreviewComp/SuperStock_463-7293.jpg

eviledtee


quality posts: 1 Private Messages eviledtee
xsolar47 wrote:Anyone else think this shirt is phallic?


Not quite - nowehere near that. Can't even figure out where that might come from... :D Sorry... ;)

Cheers! ^^
edDy

eviledtee


quality posts: 1 Private Messages eviledtee
ainecful wrote:In English, 'kraken' is a singular term for a type of marine monster- a giant squid/octopus, often depicted with giant teeth and enormous tentacles. It originated in old mariners' tales, from tales of giant squids and destroyed ships.

Although I'd imagine it probably originated from the German (I'm not German, I wouldn't know), it is and has been for hundreds of years an English singular noun.

It was referenced in Pirates of the Caribbean, in the part where Davy Jones summons the kraken to take down the ship (and Captain Sparrow with it). Although they 'movie-d' it up a bit, it was a fairly accurate depiction of the legend of the kraken.

Here's two pictures of the traditional kraken, as it is used in English language/literature:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9py6IgNlFak/TFuGseNmLUI/AAAAAAAAAjI/qMu7dN6J9nw/s1600/Kraken.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/463/PreviewComp/SuperStock_463-7293.jpg


Thanks! That's more precise than what I found out myself in the mean time - after which I edited my posting, sorry... I did because I realized I should have read all the thread instead of only the last page before posting... :D

Nice reference pictures! The first one especially! )

And yupp, it was Davy Jones that I head in the back of my head saying "kraken", hehe... :D

It's quite likely that the English term "kraken" originates in the German language - or in their mutual roots... But I'd have to look that up, wouldn't just know it from the top of my head... ;)

Thanks for all the information, mate! ^^

Cheers! ^^
edDy

xsolar47


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xsolar47
eviledtee wrote:Not quite - nowehere near that. Can't even figure out where that might come from... :D Sorry... ;)



Seriously??? It doesn't look like the octopus is polishing the knob of that skyscraper?

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
xsolar47 wrote:Seriously??? It doesn't look like the octopus is polishing the knob of that skyscraper?



I think you should file that complaint with the actual designer of the Empire State Building. Though I must warn you, I heard William F. Lamb nearly beat the last person who accused him of this to death.