deezaldog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deezaldog

LOVE THIS!!

Re: Less Talking More Science

maraich

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maraich

So, when this one closes at noon tomorrow, does the new competition automatically start? I've never been clear on that.

petitjouet1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petitjouet1
Re: resolve to relax

Want more LOL cats shirts

reverseemf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reverseemf
Re: Finish One F'ing Death Star

Well, I'm new at this, and it's 2:30AM, and I wrestled, for hours, with getting a decent looking Halftone of this design (which uses color gradients to get some, hopefully, nice shading on the Death Star, and some cool shading on the explosion artifacts, and some wiz-bang shading on the Imperial Cruiser interiors (did I mention shading?!?)) -- I mean, they only allow 6 colors...SIX COLORS!!

So, the image of the shirt art is NOT a fair representation of what the shirt will, probably, actually look like! Just imagine what it would look like through a screen door.

Oh, and fun fact: -- computer keyboards make lousy pillows!! Personal experience!

mcobutte

quality posts: 20 Private Messages mcobutte

This one would have more votes, but little time left in this derby.

acraigl

quality posts: 213 Private Messages acraigl
maraich wrote:So, when this one closes at noon tomorrow, does the new competition automatically start? I've never been clear on that.

Yep. Sometimes there's a slight delay, but it usually happens automatically, right around 12pm CST.

BUY! >>

acraigl

quality posts: 213 Private Messages acraigl

Welcome! I agree with @mcobutte, this would have more looks had it not been submitted so late (derby closes at noon CST today). I'd suggest holding this for another derby (or sub as a daily) as it's pretty funny.

The feedback I'd offer is to change the font on the bottom -- the comic sans (only used ironically, I think, at this point) should be swapped for something more appropriate to the design -- more industrial, perhaps. Also, despite your use of SHADING , there's a lot of flat color in there too. It's hard to make out any detail (if there is any) in the Emperor's robe. Lastly, I think this design would be totally awesome if it blended into the shirt a little more. I don't know it needs to look like a sign on a shirt -- maybe if you lose the box, and use those kick-ass half-toning skills to imply a larger ship...

You're off to a great start! Keep going!

BUY! >>

reverseemf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reverseemf
acraigl wrote:Welcome! I agree with @mcobutte, this would have more looks had it not been submitted so late (derby closes at noon CST today). I'd suggest holding this for another derby (or sub as a daily) as it's pretty funny.

The feedback I'd offer is to change the font on the bottom -- the comic sans (only used ironically, I think, at this point) should be swapped for something more appropriate to the design -- more industrial, perhaps. Also, despite your use of SHADING , there's a lot of flat color in there too. It's hard to make out any detail (if there is any) in the Emperor's robe. Lastly, I think this design would be totally awesome if it blended into the shirt a little more. I don't know it needs to look like a sign on a shirt -- maybe if you lose the box, and use those kick-ass half-toning skills to imply a larger ship...

You're off to a great start! Keep going!

Wow, thank you for the feedback! Yeah, I did the Emperor in mostly flat colors, so he would be "clean" of any halftones, and thus "crisp" (since Emperors really like being crisp!)

And, yeah, the robe has no detail 'cuz, well deadline looming. I was hoping the silhouette would imply the inner detail (or maybe it's a special shadow obfuscating mind trick fabric... you no longer notice the lack of detail...)

But, I like Comic Sans...OK, I promise I'll make better font choices.

And, I finally figured out that the topic for the next derby is announced in advance (I started work on this one at the beginning of the derby :P) But, I've got an idea for the next one...oh, wait...!

Inatangle

quality posts: 146 Private Messages Inatangle

I didn't get a chance to comment on the entries in this Derby because of holiday craziness... way too much going on. I have, however voted, and have been checking back to see if any new entries showed up.

This entry is very promising. Acraig gave you some great advice about making it even better. I'm glad that he did. I couldn't have given you any suggestions like that since I am not a shirt designer.

There is one thing that kills it for me, however. I will never vote for any entry that uses the f word, or any derivation of it.

I mention this for two reasons.

imo the use of this word could cost you many votes. In a Derby, you need every vote you can get, especially if you are hoping for a win. I may be old fashioned, but I believe there are many other voters out there like me.

The other reason I mention it is that use of the f word in any way, shape, or form might get you a DQ. (I honestly don't know what they would decide in this particular case since you didn't use it straight out.)

Other than that, I really like your entry, and am very impressed. The talent is there. I look forward to seeing your work in future Derbies. Good luck!