Back to Amazon.com

DogHater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DogHater

Yeah, so? Your point is?

acraigl wrote:Wait -- so you're using an alias to make this criticism?

acraigl

quality posts: 231 Private Messages acraigl
DogHater wrote:Yeah, so? Your point is?

Why hide? if you're worried about these comments negatively affecting your own entries, then you must know you're being inflammatory. Most of us are open to criticism, as long as it's done in a constructive way.

VOTE! >

DogHater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DogHater

Evidently, I am not concerned with whether anyone is "open" to criticism or not, or how "thin one's skin" might be.

Aside from that, I think that a certain amount of animosity has far greater impact than tying a ribbon around my words and sprinkling some fairy dust over them.

I'm not one for coddling the weak or stupid.

acraigl wrote:Why hide? if you're worried about these comments negatively affecting your own entries, then you must know you're being inflammatory. Most of us are open to criticism, as long as it's done in a constructive way.

princessbunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princessbunny
DogHater wrote:

I'm not one for coddling the weak or stupid.

And yet you expect others to extend this courtesy to you, hmmm.

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
Re: Philadelphia Football

Another awesome piece. gmv

jschrock182

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jschrock182
MrBignell wrote:For the dual citizens out there, support the overly-polite half of your heritage ;). GOOOO CANADA!

Well, I guess I'm showing the northern half of my dual citizenship by voting for this but not the other...

lorinda1717

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorinda1717
Re: Anyone but New England

Is the backwards "N" an intentional/significant thing?

simic

quality posts: 24 Private Messages simic
DogHater wrote:Ah, the brigade of white knights are arriving. I expect the rest of his "following" will be here once their cats lick them in the face and wake them up.

The same face, same sharpie drawings... such diversity! Let's reward "Captain Crayon" for dipping into his reservoir of coloring book artwork and gifting us with the same stuff every week. Hey, if we can get a few in at a time, we can call it a "series"!

I totally understand your frustration. You put a lot of time and effort into your design and it seems unappreciated. Lashing out at a fellow artist is not really productive, though. It's actually the other artists who truly appreciate all of your hard work and talent.

Also, Walmazan has over 8,000 followers on Facebook and he pretty much branded Woot with his style. I am more shocked when he is NOT in the fog. And the voter turnout is pretty low in the winter time, so people who can summon their loyal supporters end up in the fog at first, but then they might start dropping out as more votes accumulate.

Just keep at it. Try to see it as a fun competition where you get to experiment with different styles and maybe get a free tshirt out of it.

simic

Re: FOOTBALL DNA

I think we got a winner here!

acraigl

So I'll just leave this one "get off my lawn" post and move on...

With the big game coming up, this derby is in honor of sports (of all kinds)! Designs should avoid jokey/silly territory, and steer toward designs that legit sports nuts and mega fans would want to wear... This derby is less "Go Sports!" and more bonafide Sports Fan

Recognizing that this is a particularly challenging theme for the woot audience (and artists, likely, as well) I feel like there's a number of designs in this derby that made little or no attempt to follow the rules. I'm still seeing all the same tropes we're used to around here.

I'm not saying a mega sports fan WOULDN'T wear a sci-fi/pop culture mash-up or a sarcastic slogan, but I am saying that's not what was requested in the prompt -- at least my interpretation of it.

In the end, I'm probably just a little annoyed that I didn't have the foresight to stick to what "works", but I'll see if/how others respond and figure out if it's just me.

VOTE! >

MrBignell

quality posts: 21 Private Messages MrBignell
Re: Olympic Support 1 (winter games)

Woohoo! I am so excited for the Olympics to start! +1

MrBignell

Re: A Heart for Volleyball

Ooo, I think I like this one best. How are you going to pull off a heart for hockey?

Bohsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bohsky
acraigl wrote:

I'm not saying a mega sports fan WOULDN'T wear a sci-fi/pop culture mash-up or a sarcastic slogan, but I am saying that's not what was requested in the prompt -- at least my interpretation of it.

In the end, I'm probably just a little annoyed that I didn't have the foresight to stick to what "works", but I'll see if/how others respond and figure out if it's just me.

It's not only you. I am also upset and annoyed that most designs in the fog don't follow the rules.

There are several works which in my opinion are amazingly good. The artists got great ideas and implemented them in splendid designs. And I'm frustrated that there is a chance they would lose because of other artists who decided to go with classical methods (mashups, sarcastic slogans, jokes) instead of following the requirements.

Bohsky

simic wrote:I think we got a winner here!

Second that. Fingers crossed this one would be a winning design.

Bohsky

princessbunny wrote:You should have been around for Ramyb.

What is with Ramyb? I have seen him mentioned on forum several times lately in the context of "repeatability", if I got it right. But his catalog doesn't look repeatable as for me. So what was that about?
Don't get me wrong I'm just curious

Narfcake

quality posts: 395 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Bohsky wrote:What is with Ramyb? I have seen him mentioned on forum several times lately in the context of "repeatability", if I got it right. But his catalog doesn't look repeatable as for me. So what was that about?
Don't get me wrong I'm just curious

He is (was?) shirt.woot's #1 volume seller, and he liked drawing bunnies. A lot. And turtles. A lot. And penguins. A lot. And other cute animals. A lot. Why? Because Wooters loved them and voted for them. A lot. He didn't win every time, but his style garnered a good number of fans -- and critics.

I will say he did diversify more after splitting up with what's-her-thief. And was even helpful, with a good tutorial on halftones.

His success also shows how the derby allows for anyone from any background to practice shirt designing. At the time, he was majoring in neuroscience and aspiring to be a doctor (which all changed, of course). Granted, the audience isn't what it used to be, but nowhere else can an aspiring artist actively participate and (hopefully) hone their skills.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

Bohsky

Narfcake wrote:He is (was?) shirt.woot's #1 volume seller, and he liked drawing bunnies. A lot. And turtles. A lot. And penguins. A lot. And other cute animals. A lot. Why? Because Wooters loved them and voted for them. A lot. He didn't win every time, but his style garnered a good number of fans -- and critics.

I will say he did diversify more after splitting up with what's-her-thief. And was even helpful, with a good tutorial on halftones.

His success also shows how the derby allows for anyone from any background to practice shirt designing. At the time, he was majoring in neuroscience and aspiring to be a doctor (which all changed, of course). Granted, the audience isn't what it used to be, but nowhere else can an aspiring artist actively participate and (hopefully) hone their skills.

Oh my, such a story! Thanks for the information, Narf!

simic

Narfcake wrote:

I will say he did diversify more after splitting up with what's-her-thief.

Hold up! There's a new layer to this. Who did he split with and what's the thief comment?

Bohsky

simic wrote:Hold up! There's a new layer to this. Who did he split with and what's the thief comment?

I have just jumped into that ocean of drama and now I know a little bit . As I understand "what's-her-thief" is sekiyoku, girlfriend (at that time) of Ramy. As I read they were accused of getting too much "inspiration" from other artists too frequently.

MrBignell

Re: One Handed Catch

+1. I love the negative space bleed.

MrBignell

Re: Canada Support

Yay Canada! It should be interesting to see the hockey this year without the NHLers dominating.

MrBignell

Re: Team Spirit

For some reason I feel like this fan would boo a lot ;)

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 14 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Re: FOOTBALL DNA

@acraigl: LOL you should have seen my sketch. Works well enough with the concept at least XD

@Bignell Simic & Bohsky: Thanks guys, so nice of you to say
Looks good for you this week too, Simic!

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry
Re: TEAM Spirit

Decided to join this derby with an addition to my TEAM series.

kg07

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kg07
Re: Victory or Valhalla

Thought it was Valhalla for sure.

kg07

lorinda1717 wrote:Is the backwards "N" an intentional/significant thing?

The design is a play on vintage Soviet style propaganda posters and the backwards N gives a bit of the Cyrillic feel.

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry
Re: TEAM Spirit

Oops, I forgot to distress the first on. Here it is for real. This is the second in my TEAM series

Inatangle

quality posts: 150 Private Messages Inatangle
Re: Porguins Hockey Team

spikeani wrote:They may be small but the force is with them

Wow... you aren't kidding. In the fog...the force must be with them... lol Good luck in this Derby!

Answered your PM, btw

Inatangle

quality posts: 150 Private Messages Inatangle

(I sent a few other PMs out too... might want to check your mail)

kg07

acraigl wrote:So I'll just leave this one "get off my lawn" post and move on...

Recognizing that this is a particularly challenging theme for the woot audience (and artists, likely, as well) I feel like there's a number of designs in this derby that made little or no attempt to follow the rules. I'm still seeing all the same tropes we're used to around here.

I agree. However, since rejections are few and far between, I cannot blame artists for stretching the boundaries. I can only recall a handful of shirts rejected from the fog- a few for being already available on other sites and one for being mean to Mr. Trump. I am sure that I am missing one or two, but as long as the derby themes are not enforced, perhaps they can be interpreted more as vague suggestions.

pd23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pd23

This is brilliant! Please print

acraigl

Re: Demodogs

FYI, this may not print:
1. Not on a woot blank
2. Can't print on back
3. Lots of other similar designs out there (but still well done).
4. Doesn't follow the prompt -- but that's a loose rule of late.

VOTE! >

acraigl

Re: It's Official

Like. +1

VOTE! >

acraigl

Re: Victory or Valhalla

I really like the way this looks like an inked stamp. But Vikings, meh. Except for that last play

VOTE! >

acraigl

Re: Textball II

All of these are really good. Nice work!

VOTE! >

gwbids

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwbids
Re: S.F. QB

Looks orange on the shirt comp (on some monitors) but that's San Fracisco 49ers gold.

Narfcake

quality posts: 395 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

gwbids wrote:Looks orange on the shirt comp (on some monitors) but that's San Fracisco 49ers gold.

Since a lot of teams have trademarked their colors, it's "gold".

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

chachachino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chachachino
Re: Tears of my enemies

Hahaha this is excellent work

MrBignell

Re: GOOOO USA!

So close to the fog! GOOOO Vote!

MrBignell

Re: Textball I

Ooo, I like this series. Do you have a hockey one in the works?