Warning WARNING Will Robinson, no journal template means DQ

lonelypond

quality posts: 677 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Words Create Worlds

Lovely

stevegoll68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevegoll68
Re: THE NOVELIST

I like the idea, but the size and placement are really off.

KadyBS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KadyBS
stevegoll68 wrote:I like the idea, but the size and placement are really off.

thanks for the comment, I will work on that

kharmazero

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: cheshire cat

spikeani wrote:Excellent job GMV

Thanks a lot

kharmazero

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: cheshire cat

mlevari wrote:great design! love it

Thank you very much

stevegoll68

Re: Fire Swamp 1

Helpful comments on these two would be appreciated. Any improvements that can be made in the future? I'd hoped these would get a lot more votes. But I guess every artist hopes that LOL

acraigl

quality posts: 212 Private Messages acraigl
Re: Stop Talking

For the last derby?

BUY! >>

acraigl

stevegoll68 wrote:Helpful comments on these two would be appreciated. Any improvements that can be made in the future? I'd hoped these would get a lot more votes. But I guess every artist hopes that LOL

As far as subject matter goes, that movie (and presumably the book) is a good choice and well-loved here. I've personally won 2 derbies using it as inspiration.

I'd say pick a font and roll with it. As a designer you should be confident in your choices. The two, very similar versions, at best going to split votes, at worst, come off confusing to the voters.

Specifically:
- The design/layout/colors aren't bad, but I think there's not enough to connect the viewer. The image of the swap is well-done, but where's the narrative? Maybe a prominent R.O.U.S. somewhere? Or a body in the sand? Something like that might be better visually. Even "lightning sand diving contests" or something makes it humorous and interesting.

- Is it a "Visit" poster, marketing travel to the swamp? Or a comic book cover? Something else? Not clear to me.

- The tagline at the bottom is hard to read

- Not sure if you have clever halftoning going on, but I'm seeing as many as 8 or 9 colors. There's still a 6 color limit-rule in effect.

- Make the image larger in the detail view, and shirt comp smaller. Might have helped. It was tougher to do that this derby with the journal comp added in, but you still had more room to work with.

Hope that's useful!

BUY! >>

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Re: Words Create Worlds

Love this!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 60 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
transformingegg wrote:Good one fb! GMV!

Thanks, transformingegg!

fishbiscuit5

Re: book club reunion

Great design!

fishbiscuit5

Re: (Nasty) Peter Rabbit

Perfect style!

l0c0ryan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages l0c0ryan

I forgot the journal. Oops! Here it is:

fishbiscuit5

Re: Can Haz Courage

Cute! +1

fishbiscuit5

Re: Dark & Stormy

This is a perfect journal cover for writers. +1

moonbeamchaos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moonbeamchaos
Re: The Great Catsby

Perhaps SIMILAR items are available, this is a great graphic, clear bright colors, and I REALLY WANTED ONE, DAMMIT!
Not to mention that you print every cutesy meatloaf kitten, 3 thousand
Ravens, Groot ad nauseam, Starry Starry Night ANYTHING. I know I have no status, but I think you blew this one.
Who submitted it, please? If Woot rejected it, perhaps I can purchase it elsewhere.
Thanks and GRRRRR
Maggie

PixelPants

quality posts: 74 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Moby

Great depiction of the page coming to life.

marceepauff

quality posts: 24 Private Messages marceepauff
Re: A Sucker for Words

This is beautiful and brilliant. <3

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 18 Private Messages benjaminleebates
stevegoll68 wrote:Helpful comments on these two would be appreciated. Any improvements that can be made in the future? I'd hoped these would get a lot more votes. But I guess every artist hopes that LOL

i'll bite.
There really isn't a subject in the composition, to draw in the viewer. The colors are all very muted, it has a 1980's comic book feel, but this design choice does not make it stronger. The font choices are compelling, and the writing at the bottom is hard to read. Less text is always better. If you can't say it in a few words, you may have not purified it to it's most basic element.
On a more subjective note, the community on woot usually goes for something very short and punchy, or super cute. Style is key. Only a few specific styles categorically do well. What they are... I can't put it into words.
If your style cant win, then go for clever. Less is more! Remember this!

You can find my shirts for sale HERE or THERE!

graffd02

quality posts: 2 Private Messages graffd02
moonbeamchaos wrote:Perhaps SIMILAR items are available, this is a great graphic, clear bright colors, and I REALLY WANTED ONE, DAMMIT!
Not to mention that you print every cutesy meatloaf kitten, 3 thousand
Ravens, Groot ad nauseam, Starry Starry Night ANYTHING. I know I have no status, but I think you blew this one.
Who submitted it, please? If Woot rejected it, perhaps I can purchase it elsewhere.
Thanks and GRRRRR
Maggie

Thanks, but Woot knows what it's doing. I will add it to my redbubble account for sale in a few days.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/graffd02/shop

stevegoll68

benjaminleebates wrote:i'll bite.
There really isn't a subject in the composition, to draw in the viewer. The colors are all very muted, it has a 1980's comic book feel, but this design choice does not make it stronger. The font choices are compelling, and the writing at the bottom is hard to read. Less text is always better. If you can't say it in a few words, you may have not purified it to it's most basic element.
On a more subjective note, the community on woot usually goes for something very short and punchy, or super cute. Style is key. Only a few specific styles categorically do well. What they are... I can't put it into words.
If your style cant win, then go for clever. Less is more! Remember this!

I appreciate the input. I would agree about the text at the bottom, I guess. It only lists the three terrors, so it's not overly wordy compared to what I used to have there. Perhaps making them larger in a different font? Suggestions on a font anyone?
As to the muted colors... Perhaps I'm being too specific, but it's a swamp. Not a lot of vibrant colors in a swamp.

And in terms of "less is more" I would normally agree, but I've seen designs get lots of votes that are very cluttered and wordy. So yes to the subjective portion of your comments, as well

I want to get better at understanding how to best put my ideas to work here, so keep the comments coming!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 18 Private Messages benjaminleebates
stevegoll68 wrote:I appreciate the input. I would agree about the text at the bottom, I guess. It only lists the three terrors, so it's not overly wordy compared to what I used to have there. Perhaps making them larger in a different font? Suggestions on a font anyone?
As to the muted colors... Perhaps I'm being too specific, but it's a swamp. Not a lot of vibrant colors in a swamp.

And in terms of "less is more" I would normally agree, but I've seen designs get lots of votes that are very cluttered and wordy. So yes to the subjective portion of your comments, as well

I want to get better at understanding how to best put my ideas to work here, so keep the comments coming!

Woot had "no text" rule for many years. It forced the designer to design over just slapping some text on a shirt and walking away with a grand. Not saying you did this, just a bit of perspective.
Text is actually one of the hardest elements to use in a design. Some people are really good at it, most of us are not.
I am commenting on yours because you asked and I see my early mistakes (and some i still make) in your work. I once over-designed all my stuff. It's the visual equivalent of the need to explain a joke.
When I say less is more, I mean you must purify your design to the most minimal elements needed to convey the concept. Then go back in and decide if you want to add more.
There are not any rules for winning, btw. Things that used to be rules to live by, have fallen away with number of voters.
But you must be willing to grow. That has always been true, you can't just do the same style every week and expect people to grow to like it. That is what is at the core of my tips. Always grow.

You can find my shirts for sale HERE or THERE!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 114 Private Messages oakenspirit
thatquietgir1 wrote:Love this!
lonelypond wrote:Lovely

Thanks a ton guys. Starting my Nano Novel today! AHHHHH!

simic

quality posts: 18 Private Messages simic
Re: Necronomicon

I'm so close to the fog, I can taste it!

acraigl

Impressed with the increased number of votes the derby has been getting lately. Maybe the email marketing is working?

BUY! >>

stiluk35

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stiluk35

Very cool!

Re: book club reunion