quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar
Re: Inspired by Christmas Jars

Nice idea.

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

Xanzibar

Re: Inspired by The Ultimate Balloon Book

I really like this , but the guys face looks like a giant nose. It's still pretty cool.

What is this?

Xanzibar

eHalcyon wrote:PSD also works, but then it should be at 16"x20" at 300 DPI.

I don't know which program you are using to do this, but if you're using a raster program ( like GIMP) i created a guide for people who need help submitting in a community thread: http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2813924&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=4
Check it out.

What is this?

Xanzibar

eHalcyon wrote:PSD also works, but then it should be at 16"x20" at 300 DPI.

I don't know which program you are using to do this, but if you're using a raster program ( like GIMP) i created a guide for people who need help submitting in a community thread: http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2813924&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=4
Check it out.

What is this?

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
eHalcyon wrote:WOW. You have some mad skills, sir. May I ask what you used for 3D modelling? I read that Photoshop CS4 has some new 3D modelling functions, though since you said you exported to PS/Illustrator I'm guessing that's not what you used. 3DSM?

Photoshop's "3D" functions are mostly designed to better integrate your PSD layers into After Effects - which is really "2.5D". After Effects can make things look 3D, but they're still 2D layers - just like Photoshop (except you can move those layers on the Z axis and control a camera through space in After Effects). So don't run out to get CS4 because it can establish vanishing points or anything. Adobe is still a while away from true, genuine 3D.

Try Google's Sketch Up. It's free, it fairly robust and the interface doesn't take that long to learn. It will take a lot of practice before you start building airplanes - but if you can find CAD files of basic airplane shapes and then start stretching and tweaking them, it goes MUCH faster.

Xanzibar

Re: Inspired by Soul Music ( Discworld)

Yay!! I've broken 60 votes!! Awesome!!
Thanks everyone for your votes and comments!!
See y'all in the next derby!!!

What is this?

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Inspired by the Call of the Wild

This needs to get back in the fog, kplzthx.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
Re: Inspired by: Where the Sidewalk Ends

Re: Inspired by: Where the Sidewalk Ends [resub]

Re: Inspired by: Oh, the places you'll go!

Just a quick thank you to all who supported any of my designs this week. I do appreciate it and I'll see you next theme.

nickmarino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickmarino
Re: Inspired by House of Leaves

Wow, this shirt is amazing. I may even go so far as to take back my other votes in the derby, just to try and help this one gain some ground. Too bad it was submitted so late! :-(

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
DeadFrog wrote:The paintbrush effect was actually pretty tough for me to figure out. At first I was sure photoshop would have a feature that could do it automatically, photoshop can do everything right? But I couldn't find anything, so I painted a piece of whiteboard like material with a thin layer of black paint with a really crappy brush. Then I took a picture of that. I increased the contrast until It was just black and white, not greyscale, black and white. I placed this picture in a layer of the picture of the lion witch and wardrobe.Then I used the select similar color areas function in photoshop and grabbed all of the white areas. I switched to the layer that my other artwork was on and deleted the selection. then I deleted the layer with the picture of the paint.

I was so sure that there would be a way to do It with masking layers that I spent 2 or 3 hours trying to figure that out. If any of you guys know a way to do it without actually deleting those pieces of the artwork, let me know.

Wow, that's how you got such an interesting brush effect. Very resourceful and unique. I like it a lot.

I think what you could do instead of deleting the selection on your art layer, is (with your art layer active) go to Layer Menu > Layer Mask > Reveal All. Then you would fill your selection with black on the layer mask. That would've left your original art intact. What's also nice about that is if you don't like the results or deleted too much, you can just get a brush with white fill and recolor the areas you didn't want to delete and it your original art will come back through. Does that help?

Congrats on the high chance of a print!

arcsus

dupe

arcsus

sorry for dupe post. I blame the woot-off

brwnrthanu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brwnrthanu
Re: Inspired By The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Love it. Looking forward to buying several of these!

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Inspired by One Fish, Two Fish

Reckoned in a week.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
Re: inspired by Where the Wild Things Are

thanks to everyone for the comments and votes this week. it was a fun derby but in many ways a disappointing one.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
eHalcyon wrote:Best Loser Awards are given by thatrobert, just another wooter who happens to run a site with the purpose of letting people know about losing designs that artists have had printed elsewhere. Nowadays though, it's mostly an unofficial way to recognize great designs that just weren't successful with the voters. Awards are given to designs that Robert personally liked, and often to designers that others liked if they took the time to send Robert some nominations.

Congrats on the BLA streak, lkackman!

Thanks 2 BLAs is okay by me... atleast I know some people like what I am doing!

[MOD: No advertising please]

marca2188

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marca2188

GRRR, so male that this design got knocked down to 7th, it's easily in the top three as far as creativity and artwork go (and I think its great on a shirt too...)

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
arcsus wrote:Wow, that's how you got such an interesting brush effect. Very resourceful and unique. I like it a lot.

I think what you could do instead of deleting the selection on your art layer, is (with your art layer active) go to Layer Menu > Layer Mask > Reveal All. Then you would fill your selection with black on the layer mask. That would've left your original art intact. What's also nice about that is if you don't like the results or deleted too much, you can just get a brush with white fill and recolor the areas you didn't want to delete and it your original art will come back through. Does that help?

Congrats on the high chance of a print!

thanks, I got so used to how layers work in Flash that trying to do masking in photoshop just frustrates me sometimes.

Thank you everyone for the votes and the advice.

marypuppe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marypuppe
nocturna wrote:I love Roald Dahl. I hope this miraculously makes it into the fog. Or else. XD

How did I miss this!!!

Now it's too late to vote

I love Roald Dahl.

I'm picky, I just don't always express it

Vote on Threadless!:

wizzdingo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo

I am insanely disappointed tha this is not going to get printed. This was a "I'm making sure I have $10 ready for friday" shirt.

Please let us know if it will be printed elsewhere.

Your art was amazing and you deseve a job well done.

Favs

choptop82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages choptop82
minrice2099 wrote:I was wondering about the ring myself...
Nevertheless, I'd definitely buy it.

Thanks minrice. In retrospect, if I had spent more time (as in, not trying to meet a derby deadline) I probably would've omitted the ring, but I didn't really think that much about it (probably because I'm so used to my own ring).

On the other hand, I also wasn't really intending the hand to belong to Ford or any other hitchhiker from the book, I was just trying to make an image that evoked the title.

C'est la vie.

marypuppe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marypuppe

I think that I like the plainness of the dove. It kinda makes a statement about simplicity and purity, things that our society in general lacks. It also looks kind of like the soul or essence of the dove. Definitely a conversation starter! I wish I had seen it before the voting ended, but (as someone said above) all I saw was a bird, so I didn't click.

I've gotta be more thorough with this obsession, l o l.

I'm picky, I just don't always express it

Vote on Threadless!:

Maeniel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maeniel

I have been watching this one all week... I have not bought a shirt in months and this is the one I wanted. I wish there was a way I could get the shirt printed for myself.

jsbrugg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsbrugg

From a purely artistic point of view, I think this was definitely one of the top two ro three designs. In recognition of that, I threw a vote down for it. However, I'm not sure that it's a great T-Shirt design, and the connection to the theme was a bit of a stretch (IMHO).

The image actually reminded me a lot of the Western/Native American art. It's not my style, but I think it's high quality and I look forward to seeing more submissions from you.

My only tip would be to change the contrast between the shirt image and the background. I didn't even realise that the smaller image was how the shirt would look until I had seen it up close quite a few times.

persephony4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages persephony4

Great Graphics. I love the story.. and to be able to wear a great statement would be great. Keep up the good work. Would love to see more from you!

sagerman4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sagerman4

Why didn't this win!? I had my credit card in my hand! All week it was in the fog, then that stupid harry potter thing got in. You've screwed me again, J.K. Rowling.

SmijinGT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SmijinGT

Nooooooooooooo!!!! This is the first shirt I've wanted in a long time! I was so so so excited to buy it. Ugh. It was in the fog from day one until I went to bet at 5am. I can't believe this. I'm so disappointed right now I can't even begin to express it. This is like my favorite woot shirt of all time. Bleh.

Nimara

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Nimara
SmijinGT wrote:Nooooooooooooo!!!! This is the first shirt I've wanted in a long time! I was so so so excited to buy it. Ugh. It was in the fog from day one until I went to bet at 5am. I can't believe this. I'm so disappointed right now I can't even begin to express it. This is like my favorite woot shirt of all time. Bleh.

D: yeah...I feel you. I haven't bought a shirt since the Urban Painter one. I wanted something nice to wear, not just funny. This was classy and witty. D: If you produce this shirt anywhere else, I'll buy it. Or! Hopefully there will be another derby that you can submit this too.

I think it was more of a feminine shirt and most people on woot are probably males so, funny-stupid-lookin'-shirts D: win first over nice ones like these

Fatstrat06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatstrat06
Re: Inspired by How to Draw 101 Animals

THIS IS SO COOOOOOL!

elwayman02

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: Inspired by Harry Potter

I'm pretty sure someone has already done this idea before on other sites. It's not very original. I've seen designs of bears making pottery in the past.

KZxBlades

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KZxBlades

Same, I didn't buy any other shirt since Urban Painter. I was looking forward to this shirt since it had such a great design. Now left with the draw a rabbit and the one fish, two fish that I might get.
Great Work! Hope this gets printed in the future or somewhere else!

ellielaramee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellielaramee
Re: Inspired by How to Draw 101 Animals

i reeeeaaaallly hope this one wins... i would buy it in a second.

thesis4eva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thesis4eva
Re: Inspired by: Paradise Lost

This. Is. Amazing. llo. I wish it had gotten into the fog. :/

anitka6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anitka6
Re: Inspired by Notes from the Underground

this is awesome. fantastic design!

shawnmason01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnmason01

I'll take 177th for my first derby posting.

aeidein

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeidein

i don't care for the pencil or the color, but cool idea.

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your support. I was hoping this would make it, but it just wasn't meant to be.

I'll definitely post in this thread if it's available somewhere else for purchase (unfortunately, I don't have a tshirt selling site or anything similar at the moment, so it might be a while, if ever). In the meantime, I hope you look forward to my future designs. ^^;

vykarius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vykarius
Stuntdummy wrote:You are ignorant because you think you can get away with blaming the failing economy on Bush, an easy scape-goat, when there are numerous factors including legislation by democrats like Carter and Clinton. It is stupid of you to think that you can make a cheap drawing so you can circle jerk with all the other Bush-haters. And Obama? It doesn't matter what I think of him. He is my president now, and I will give him the respect that position deserves (something that people like you have failed to do, which is quite unbecoming). It doesn't matter how much I might come to disagree with our next president; I will never resort to such disrespect. If you had a little more class, I'd give you more respect too.

Bravo, I was hoping you would respond with something a bit more interesting and explaining your position. I don't affiliate with either political party. Bush, Obama, McCain, hell even Nader... whichever, whoever. Doesn't matter. Bottom line is, it was just a design. My original idea was Bush with the monkey body jamming a fork into an electrical socket. Would that have been a better, more kosher way to depict Curious George? It wasn't very classy of you to make your comment without even inquiring about anything. You judged me right from the start, when in reality it was a bit of humor. Suppose to be amusing. Apparently it was not. So lets do each other a favor and lets both walk away from this nasty little debate about nothing. Can I see some of your designs? Send a link? Truce? Friends?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Inspired By Notes from Underground.

Oh gasp, I've blogged edgar again.

Seriously, if you stop being so good, other people can have a chance ;)

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: inspired by still life with woodpecker

I suppose there's only so far you can get by referencing smart liturature, but don't think it's gone unnoticed.