Back to Amazon.com

marceepauff

quality posts: 24 Private Messages marceepauff
Re: Sportsgiving

Lately, it seemed as if the rejectionator only bothered to reject if something seemed like it might win (which isn't fair, but with the personnel downsize, understandable)... The only reason I commented is because, in this case, I don't think it's fair for an obvious "similar shirt exists" to be sitting in the fog, potentially taking votes and views away from more original designs.

Inatangle

quality posts: 150 Private Messages Inatangle
acraigl wrote:Inatangle, your positive feedback is always appreciated, but you should understand that other artists have gotten rejected for SSE (similar shirts exist), regardless of how good the execution is. I'll point out a personal example:

I subbed this one for the springtime derby. I did a search (admittedly only on woot), and found nothing similar. Thought I had a winner on my hands.

https://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/100025/spring-cleaning-never-ends

Turns out another woot artist had thought of it before, years before, entered it in a derby and it never printed. The artist has since put it on his personal site.

https://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/56640/repetitive-task

But it was enough to have mine rejected, despite very different styles and no other similar items as far as I could tell.

I would personally find it unfair, but life isn't fair, and I certainly don't want an artists' efforts going to waste -- I would however, appreciate consistency from woot when it comes to these decisions.

And geekfactor12, no ill-will, I appreciate your designs and creativity, but making a point here. Hope that's ok.

Re: Sportsgiving

Yes, I know. I've seen designs get rejected for all sort of reasons, including plenty of SSE's.

There are exceptions made-- although I'm beginning to doubt this will be one of them.

The ironic thing about this is that I'm not even into football. I simply liked what it looked like, and enjoyed the humor. I compared this design with the other "football turkey" designs referenced. I honestly like this design for itself. If I were the judge, I'd give it the blue ribbon. Not only that, geekfactor12 is an established shirt artist. He doesn't strike me as shirt artist that would deliberately copy shirts from other websites for a contest. Many SSE's have been near or exact copies by people trying to get away with plagiarism.

All of that being said, I have to agree with you acraig. Life is not fair, so this design will probably ended up getting DQed, I guess Oh well...

btw, I remember that snail. I loved it, and was bummed when it got rejected.

PS. Here is an example on Shirt Woot about life not being fair. These two Woot Shirts are waaaaay to similar, imo. I was dismayed when it happened... and then stunned when Woot allowed the 2nd design in spite of the earlier one.

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/one-saber-two-saber

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/one-saber-two-saber-3

acraigl

quality posts: 234 Private Messages acraigl
Inatangle wrote:Yes, I know. I've seen designs get rejected for all sort of reasons, including plenty of SSE's.

There are exceptions made-- although I'm beginning to doubt this will be one of them.

The ironic thing about this is that I'm not even into football. I simply liked what it looked like, and enjoyed the humor. I compared this design with the other "football turkey" designs referenced. I honestly like this design for itself. If I were the judge, I'd give it the blue ribbon. Not only that, geekfactor12 is an established shirt artist. He doesn't strike me as shirt artist that would deliberately copy shirts from other websites for a contest. Many SSE's have been near or exact copies by people trying to get away with plagiarism.

All of that being said, I have to agree with you acraig. Life is not fair, so this design will probably ended up getting DQed, I guess Oh well...

btw, I remember that snail. I loved it, and was bummed when it got rejected.

PS. Here is an example on Shirt Woot about life not being fair. These two Woot Shirts are waaaaay to similar, imo. I was dismayed when it happened... and then stunned when Woot allowed the 2nd design in spite of the earlier one.

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/one-saber-two-saber

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/one-saber-two-saber-3

Yep, I think I called that one out on the same derby as a precedent for allowing my design. I think woot (shortstaffed even then) missed the obviously similarity -- even in their own catalog -- and it slipped in. Fortunately, that appears to be exception rather than rule.

jasneko

quality posts: 33 Private Messages jasneko
Re: A Forest Friendsgiving

@poopycakes - thank you! Happy you like it - at first I was coloring more neatly and then decided I liked the beyond the lines style with this one

@kg07 - thank you!! I changed the colors quite a few times so good to hear that! And haha well actually there was a 'no cats' rule this derby;)

@parrotworks - thanks very much! It went through a few different color combos till I stuck with this one.

@enaych - it's a grass green tee - kind of a limey/grassy lighter green color!

@inatangle - is there a big squirrel fanbase? Very interesting as I do like squirrels, hehe. Thanks

@acraigl And usually I create the design on the computer with a wacom tablet.. so all done on a computer. (well maybe a pencil sketch on a piece of paper to get a general idea down, but then I redraw it on the computer with my tablet).

@narfcake - yup! And thanks - I debated on sharing that , so validation is good!

@omar - awww much thanks omar!

Narfcake

quality posts: 397 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Inatangle wrote:Yes, I know. I've seen designs get rejected for all sort of reasons, including plenty of SSE's.

There are exceptions made-- although I'm beginning to doubt this will be one of them....

Well, Fractions are Hard printed too despite of the evidence posted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

acraigl

Narfcake wrote:Well, Fractions are Hard printed too despite of the evidence posted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's a good point. Pretty early in my relationship with shirt.woot. I did 4 designs that derby, added that last minute after not finding anything to that effect in the woot catalog. No one was more shocked than me that it won, let alone printed -- maybe because you can't claim that phrase as IP?

Regardless, I've learned a lot since then.

Narfcake

quality posts: 397 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

acraigl wrote:... maybe because you can't claim that phrase as IP?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I think the only take we can get out of this is that the rejectionator has and always will be inconsistent. Remember, the USA is fictitious and blessings by the original artist won't sway a decision.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 14 Private Messages thatquietgir1
unchaotic wrote:I guess being involved with it from start to finish a designer can fail to look at it that way. It’s based off of the fact that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and so many people (businesses) skip right over it and go straight into Christmas mode.

Probably could have worked on the message more.

I understood it, but it's not a message that I feel strongly enough about that I need to share on my shirt I guess. The color palette and illustration are a bit expected. Don't beat yourself up about votes, there's not a lot of traffic to the derby these days and a lot of artists already have a following. If you make cool art Woot will notice and often print as an honorable mention, which is nice.

acraigl

omarfeliciano wrote:I think this is brilliant!

Thanks man!

caityjean

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caityjean
Re: Camp Plymouth: You'll Be Thankful You Came!

Thank you spikeani, flemtone and gstah for the kind words!

jasneko

quality posts: 33 Private Messages jasneko
omarfeliciano wrote:I am thankful for the asteroids. If it wasn't for them, we would have a Small-Brain, Tiny-Hands, Tyrant-Predator as ruler... Oh... wait....

Hi everyone, I'm back (kinda)! 42 days after Hurricane Maria landed, I finally have electricity, no internet connection though. But I am grateful for what I have, there are others here (Puerto Rico) that still need a lot of help.

Hope you like my take on "being thankful". If you don't, please don't trow paper towels at me, we have enough of those thanks to Trump...

*Had to resub, typo...

Oh my goodness! So glad you are okay Omar. And hoping everyone gets the help they need...

PS - And nice job - a well put together design!

cinyum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cinyum
Re: My Kind Of Pie!

Is this a brown shirt or a black shirt? Please make it a brown shirt!!!

kg07

quality posts: 15 Private Messages kg07
acraigl wrote:That's a good point. Pretty early in my relationship with shirt.woot. I did 4 designs that derby, added that last minute after not finding anything to that effect in the woot catalog. No one was more shocked than me that it won, let alone printed -- maybe because you can't claim that phrase as IP?

Regardless, I've learned a lot since then.

I remember this one well as it beat out my simple question shirt in the math derby. It was very early in my woot experience, but suprises me still that this slipped through (although I think it sold pretty well so why not print it?). I agree with previous comments that this one is (very) similar to other shirts out there. More a great minds think alike situation than anything more problematic, but woot will make the final decision anyway.

lonelypond

quality posts: 683 Private Messages lonelypond

Really cute

fablefire

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Bunkin Pie

Thanks everyone! Glad you like it. :D

acraigl

Re: Eat More and Prosper

Something very similar showed up in the new thanksgiving designs side sale, FYI.

chachachino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chachachino
omarfeliciano wrote:I used to work for a paints & coatings company... this is hilarious!

Thanks man! That's a relief. It's kind of an old school logo. Some people I talk to have never seen it. Also glad to hear you're surviving ok and back on the derby. I couldn't believe the news I was hearing.

kg07

quality posts: 15 Private Messages kg07
acraigl wrote:Something very similar showed up in the new thanksgiving designs side sale, FYI.

Yeah, Ben told me my submission was second, but I think apelad executed the design better anyway. Just submitted it to the derby for laughs since they don’t need two of the same shirt.

poopycakes

quality posts: 17 Private Messages poopycakes
Re: Thanksgiving Bird

really hope this prints tomorrow

acraigl

poopycakes wrote:really hope this prints tomorrow

You and me both, brother! Thanks

transformingegg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages transformingegg

Ohh man missed out on a derby place by one vote. Cruel

caramelarrow

quality posts: 19 Private Messages caramelarrow

Aww, I thought for sure this would be printed in the editor's choice side sale this week. I'm bummed it was overlooked in favor of too many turkeys. I'm always thankful to see my forest friends in my backyard. Jasneko, I hope you can re-work it somehow for a future derby or daily submission. It's too nice not to print.

07/11/14