Back to Amazon.com

ShimmyTees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShimmyTees
Re: Peas and Love

My first entry into the derby! I've been lurking for a while, but decided to pull the trigger with this little pea-pun-picture! I hope you guys like it!

caityjean

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caityjean
ShimmyTees wrote:My first entry into the derby! I've been lurking for a while, but decided to pull the trigger with this little pea-pun-picture! I hope you guys like it!

Great illustration! I like your style!

Vote! → Buy! →
View My Catalog!

angelakb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelakb
Re: That's Hot

This is awesome!

stevegoll68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevegoll68
Re: All you need is...

Wow. Floundering at the bottom. Any constructive criticism for this one, folks?

sheri42lawson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheri42lawson
Re: Dog's Delight

What a great design. The ol dog chasing the car, and finally caught it. So clever!

acraigl

quality posts: 230 Private Messages acraigl
stevegoll68 wrote:Wow. Floundering at the bottom. Any constructive criticism for this one, folks?

Not that I'm doing so much better this derby, but you asked...

I personally don't think it's that strong a design. The concept is hard to connect with, and although I know the source, and I know "meh", I don't see how they relate (or anti-relate). Maybe if there was an illustration or something to relay this better?

I don't care for the color choice for the words -- they get lost in the flowers with a lack of contrast, and the typography itself needs work (like why is the middle line wider? And if that was intentional, why isn't it MUCH wider?).

Finally, the 4 flowers on each corner frames the whole thing in not a good way -- that level of consistency -- approximately the same size, color balance and layout, all contribute to a not very interesting design. I tend to find asymmetry, 3s and 5s, work better than even numbers when doing this kind of thing.

Hope that helps. One opinion, anyway. Remember, and I know this as well as anyone, they can't all be winners, no matter how much you like it. See what gets the most votes and decide for yourself what could be improved.

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
Re: Solo knows love

Thought I would take a chance on this one. Oh well nothing ventured, nothing gained. LOL

caityjean

spikeani wrote:Thought I would take a chance on this one. Oh well nothing ventured, nothing gained. LOL

This derby has a ton of entries and a lot of non-designers just don't scroll down very far so they miss everything. Thats why theres always a mad rush to upload the second the new derby opens. Late entries tend to sit low in the ranks just because they aren't seen and not necessarily because they aren't good. The good news is the benevolent Shirt Woot team assess everything for their Editors Choice sale in spite of their vote count. All is not lost.

Vote! → Buy! →
View My Catalog!

acraigl

caityjean wrote:This derby has a ton of entries and a lot of non-designers just don't scroll down very far so they miss everything. Thats why theres always a mad rush to upload the second the new derby opens. Late entries tend to sit low in the ranks just because they aren't seen and not necessarily because they aren't good. The good news is the benevolent Shirt Woot team assess everything for their Editors Choice sale in spite of their vote count. All is not lost.

The problem with the side sales is there are too many shirts available and it spreads sales way too thin. So you end up giving up your rights to the design in exchange for a handful of dollars. I've accepted that's just the way it is, but the side sales typically do not generate enough revenue to make it worthwhile (IMO).

caityjean

acraigl wrote:The problem with the side sales is there are too many shirts available and it spreads sales way too thin. So you end up giving up your rights to the design in exchange for a handful of dollars. I've accepted that's just the way it is, but the side sales typically do not generate enough revenue to make it worthwhile (IMO).

True - but for someone who isn't a derby winner or always in the fog it'd be really discouraging to do all that work for nothing each week. I bet participation would drop off and so would Woot's variety and new stock. I think if someone likes your design they'll probably buy it whether they offer 10 shirts or 20 in a side sale. An $8 shirt is super cheap and I would think variety is more valuable from a business perspective since it can attract many different customers with a variety of tastes rather than just those who like the style that fogs. You could probably look at doing non-exclusive contracts as others do if you'd like your design free for other uses.

Vote! → Buy! →
View My Catalog!

acraigl

caityjean wrote:True - but for someone who isn't a derby winner or always in the fog it'd be really discouraging to do all that work for nothing each week. I bet participation would drop off and so would Woot's variety and new stock. I think if someone likes your design they'll probably buy it whether they offer 10 shirts or 20 in a side sale. An $8 shirt is super cheap and I would think variety is more valuable from a business perspective since it can attract many different customers with a variety of tastes rather than just those who like the style that fogs. You could probably look at doing non-exclusive contracts as others do if you'd like your design free for other uses.

I get that, but keep in mind that there was a time when there was no catalog or side sales, only the top-20. There were lots more entries than this derby and winning shirts had hundreds of votes.

I know it's different now, but with a dwindling audience, 80 different shirt offerings (that's today -- there's been 140+ on some days) you can see how that might fracture sales, which again, only hurts the artists. Like I said, I've accepted it, but that doesn't make it any less so.

spikeani

Re: Solo knows love

Wait let me get some popcorn this is getting good. Do go on....

spikeani

Re: Can't Help Porgin' In Love

man these just can't a break. Poor little creatures. GMV

caityjean

spikeani wrote:Wait let me get some popcorn this is getting good. Do go on....

I'd be interested to hear your perspective on this since you're jumping in.

Vote! → Buy! →
View My Catalog!

spikeani

caityjean wrote:I'd be interested to hear your perspective on this since you're jumping in.

Oh no I have been in the middle of these conversations before and it usually ended up not going well for me. But that being said this conversation is on my design submission. I am still trying figure out it got this far. Lol. I love to compete and have a great time on Woot. But there are some issues and rules that I to have learned to swallow. Both of you have great points. But you can't please everyone. So that is why I have other web sites. Like a back up. Again great debate But this I am taking the fifth. LOL Also great designs from the both you.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 302 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Rainy Day Love

Thanks for the support!

I bet cats and dragons would be friends. Cats are essentially wingless dragons.

acraigl

acraigl wrote:I get that, but keep in mind that there was a time when there was no catalog or side sales, only the top-20. There were lots more entries than this derby and winning shirts had hundreds of votes.

I know it's different now, but with a dwindling audience, 80 different shirt offerings (that's today -- there's been 140+ on some days) you can see how that might fracture sales, which again, only hurts the artists. Like I said, I've accepted it, but that doesn't make it any less so.

FWIW, with the 2 new sales launched today, there's 141 different shirt options available, not including the shirt-off.

spikeani

acraigl wrote:FWIW, with the 2 new sales launched today, there's 141 different shirt options available, not including the shirt-off.

mmm, I see your point

patwile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patwile

Love it, the art work is excellent.

ddinapoli92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddinapoli92
Re: Probably Gonna Die

I need this NOW though.

extrafabulouscomics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages extrafabulouscomics

i need you to have it

cocatrix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cocatrix

Maybe a lighter cream in terms of color though !

Jonny500

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jonny500

Can somebody explain this design.
What does this have to do with this week's theme?
Also why is there an eye on his/it's sleeve?

ripley1942

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ripley1942

The shirt is designed by a webcomic artist. This shirt is a reference to one of his recent comics. He’s on Facebook and his page is called ExtraFabulousComics.

jrberger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrberger

This really has nothing to do with the theme. Plus the comp and thumb color don't even match.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 18 Private Messages benjaminleebates
jrberger wrote:This really has nothing to do with the theme. Plus the comp and thumb color don't even match.

reject bait?

You can find my shirts for sale HERE or THERE!

acraigl

jrberger wrote:This really has nothing to do with the theme. Plus the comp and thumb color don't even match.

I don't understand how the vote count got so high, so quickly. Lots of FB followers who are also wooters? Seems so unlikely.

EDIT: The page has 220k followers, so maybe??

dookieblood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dookieblood

I need this, for my body is naked.

darkangelaira

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkangelaira
Re: Because I love you

Love it. Totally reminds me of our Khal Boozer and the time he encountered a mouse and proved he gives a mouse's ass!

Astronomer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Astronomer
Bohsky wrote:Actually it doesn't refer to ASL. These are just common hand gestures (the middle one is Sign of the horns from Rock culture)

Ah, well, sure, that makes perfect sense, then. Thanks for explaining it to me.

yourmetalfriend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourmetalfriend

So when can I buy one?

spikeani

Re: Let's Take It Slow

OOoo, I like this one. GMMV

Astronomer

Re: Anglin' for Some Love

I want this shirt so I can use it to weed out the stupid people in my life since only smart people will laugh at it.

astrobat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astrobat
spikeani wrote:OOoo, I like this one. GMMV

Thanks, Spikeani!

Astronomer

Re: Your Face Is Stupid

I can't resist a pop culture reference filtered through an added layer of abstraction. GMV.

spikeani

Re: Porg's need love

Porg's need love too. Plus they are cuter than ewoks.

spikeani

Re: I Lava You

I like this design better anyway and it fits this contest GMV

PinkCupcake22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PinkCupcake22
Re: That's Hot

This is SO cute - love it!

ctryon03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctryon03
Re: Because I love you

It's funny because it's true. This is how pets show love.

Bohsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bohsky
Astronomer wrote:Ah, well, sure, that makes perfect sense, then. Thanks for explaining it to me.

You are welcome!