Back to Amazon.com

jasneko

quality posts: 33 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Never Gets Old

I love the way you drew this! Adorable - and funny

Also I couldn't find a place at the sale to post - huge congrats on Artist of the Year!!!! :D You are most deserving. (And PS. Cupcake Science is one of my favorite pj shirts, I have 2 in different colors)

simic

quality posts: 24 Private Messages simic
poopycakes wrote: so funny! I mentioned it in my blog

Thanks for the blogging!

simic

stanwillis wrote:Simic, now that the truth is out...I've got this weird thing on my neck. What is it?

It's a tum'ah! (Say it with a Boston accent)

jasneko

quality posts: 33 Private Messages jasneko
Re: An exchange that will haunt them
MrBignell wrote:This is my daughter's fav in the fog, Jansenko!

Sadly, she didn't get my dad joke. (To her credit, she's 4 and has no idea what pop is) ...We have miles to go young padawan.

MrBignell wrote:Seriously. "Read it again! "Read it a hundred times". I +1ed for her. She really wants you to win.

Awwwww!! So awesome to read this MrBignell!!! I love the thought of her asking you to read it over and over hehe. Thanks for sharing:D

ApeLad

quality posts: 70 Private Messages ApeLad
stanwillis wrote:Thank's KG. That's very nice of you, though I disagree completely with your skill level comment. It's fun to see everyone's different approach.
Honestly, I'm just kind of unsure as to how to market my own work. I post my design on here and leave it at that.
Without sharing any super secret trade secrets, does anyone advertise outside of the derby to draw business (and votes) in each week? What do you do to develop a following of your own work?

PS...thanks in advance for sharing all your super secret trade secrets. ;)

I do everything but facebook (including tumblr, flickr, and google+ sometimes). Facebook hides my posts, so screw them. I posted comics there for a full year, then stopped (but kept going elsewhere) and no one said a peep, because fb had been hiding them.
One thing that helps a lot is a mailchimp newsletter. Start with family and friends (but never sign people up without their consent) and build it from there. It takes time. I've been at this for 10 years and there's no such thing as a guaranteed win. I've had entries shared on big blogs and retweeted by big accounts, but sometimes even that doesn't push the needle.

flemtone

quality posts: 17 Private Messages flemtone
Re: Rules are rules

...because every day is a good day with Alan Rickman...

acraigl

quality posts: 231 Private Messages acraigl
flemtone wrote:...because every day is a good day with Alan Rickman...

Was. *sniff*

VOTE! >

acraigl

Re: The Raven

Can't believe this fell out of the fog. Get back in there, crow!

VOTE! >

cdrewlow

quality posts: 17 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: What do you call a cow that plays the guitar?

Is he playing bullero music?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 302 Private Messages Spiritgreen
jasneko wrote:I love the way you drew this! Adorable - and funny

Also I couldn't find a place at the sale to post - huge congrats on Artist of the Year!!!! :D You are most deserving. (And PS. Cupcake Science is one of my favorite pj shirts, I have 2 in different colors)

Aww thanks Jas!!

It's a tremendous honor and such a surprise. Cheers ^__^

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 98 Private Messages daveinwarshington
Re: Outlook Not So Good

What a silly one. It's great!

MrBignell

quality posts: 21 Private Messages MrBignell
Re: Bad Puns

Cute. Nice texture too!

MrBignell

jasneko wrote:Awwwww!! So awesome to read this MrBignell!!! I love the thought of her asking you to read it over and over hehe. Thanks for sharing:D

No problem. I like talking about the derby with her. I think it feeds her own creativity; however, the downside is she wants me to buy just about every shirt for her

benwyeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benwyeth

Staff

schlegelse wrote:Lol, thanks...

A mystical I.T. shaman recently gave us a ancient talisman that (in theory) bestows upon its wearer the power to change pictures in a derby entry without needing to delete and resubmit it. If you'll post the picture, I can give it a shot. Otherwise, we'll need to reject the post. Thanks, @schlegelse.

BEN WYETH
Art Director - Shirt.Woot

chachachino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chachachino
acraigl wrote:Congrats on the new artist spot! Well deserved!

Thanks guys!
I just found out today. I'm really glad the work is well received. Gonna need a few days for the ego to deflate tho. It's made me a real nuisance around the house especially around doorways.

stanwillis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanwillis
Narfcake wrote:Shirt.woot actually sold this design before, albeit under a different title.
White. Just White.

I work too hard.

stanwillis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanwillis
ApeLad wrote:I do everything but facebook (including tumblr, flickr, and google+ sometimes). Facebook hides my posts, so screw them. I posted comics there for a full year, then stopped (but kept going elsewhere) and no one said a peep, because fb had been hiding them.
One thing that helps a lot is a mailchimp newsletter. Start with family and friends (but never sign people up without their consent) and build it from there. It takes time. I've been at this for 10 years and there's no such thing as a guaranteed win. I've had entries shared on big blogs and retweeted by big accounts, but sometimes even that doesn't push the needle.

Thanks a lot everyone for taking your time to share some of your experience/insight. I'll need to look into the mailchimp thing. That's new to me. I'm sure a lot of it is just plugging along and finding my niche. I learn a ton from seeing each of your approaches on a weekly basis.

MrBignell

Re: Sith Happens

This is awesome!!! I'm sure it will do well, but would do a lot better if it were submitted on Thursday. Not everyone keeps the derby hourly (like me).

MrBignell

Narfcake wrote:Shirt.woot actually sold this design before, albeit under a different title.
White. Just White.

@Narf: they're totally different though. That one is white wash on an anvil tee. My design is bright and funny on a P&C tee. 🔆

@Stanwillis: your hard work is obvious and suits your style. Keep it up! But be warned. Derbies can break hearts. We'll all inevitably lose to a stick figure cat (or Llama).

MuteMagic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MuteMagic
Re: Brown and Sticky

"What's brown and sticky?"
"....."
"A stick!"
"We aren't friends anymore."

spacemart

quality posts: 17 Private Messages spacemart

schlegelse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlegelse
benwyeth wrote:A mystical I.T. shaman recently gave us a ancient talisman that (in theory) bestows upon its wearer the power to change pictures in a derby entry without needing to delete and resubmit it. If you'll post the picture, I can give it a shot. Otherwise, we'll need to reject the post. Thanks, @schlegelse.

I sent the art file and can resend. How do I send the new pic?

sketchyTK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sketchyTK

What about Minters?

Re: Rules are rules

Narfcake

quality posts: 395 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

MrBignell wrote:@Narf: they're totally different though. That one is white wash on an anvil tee. My design is bright and funny on a P&C tee. 🔆

@Stanwillis: your hard work is obvious and suits your style. Keep it up! But be warned. Derbies can break hearts. We'll all inevitably lose to a stick figure cat (or Llama).

Actually that "design" was "printed" on American Apparel. It was offered around the dark times 6 years, one month, and one week ago.

As for losing to a stick figure cat, one aspect to keep in mind about t-shirts is that folks want to be able to grasp the entire design within seconds -- and that's why sometimes, a design that looks like it was done in less than an hour outranks designs that an artist spent days on.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

MrBignell

Narfcake wrote:Actually that "design" was "printed" on American Apparel. It was offered around the dark times 6 years, one month, and one week ago.

As for losing to a stick figure cat, one aspect to keep in mind about t-shirts is that folks want to be able to grasp the entire design within seconds -- and that's why sometimes, a design that looks like it was done in less than an hour outranks designs that an artist spent days on.

You are an encyclopedia of woot shirts. I didn't mean any offence; I'm just trying to throw off the rejectionator.

Also I fully understand that designs need viewers to "get it" instantly. I'm just acknowledging to @StanWillis that you can pour your soul into a design for months and then not gain the public's support on it. There are ups and downs to the emotional rush of the Derby.

MrBignell

MuteMagic wrote:"What's brown and sticky?"
"....."
"A stick!"
"We aren't friends anymore."

Potty humor

Narfcake

quality posts: 395 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

MrBignell wrote:You are an encyclopedia of woot shirts. I didn't mean any offence; I'm just trying to throw off the rejectionator.

Also I fully understand that designs need viewers to "get it" instantly. I'm just acknowledging to @StanWillis that you can pour your soul into a design for months and then not gain the public's support on it. There are ups and downs to the emotional rush of the Derby.

No offense taken. FWIW, most of my posts in that thread were on the negative side.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

simic

schlegelse wrote:I sent the art file and can resend. How do I send the new pic?

Schlegelse, put the Pickle Rick on a shirt template and post it as a comment right here.

schlegelse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlegelse

i reposted the shirt in the derby. Thanks for the help! I'm learning...

MuteMagic

MrBignell wrote:Potty humor

Gotta doo whatcha gotta doo!

I'm a little embarrassed that my first entry is a poop joke but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MuteMagic

Re: Boba Fettuccine

This one is my favorite!! The art is killer and so is the wordplay. Nicely done!

acraigl

MuteMagic wrote:Gotta doo whatcha gotta doo!

I'm a little embarrassed that my first entry is a poop joke but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One of my earlier works, and best sellers, is poop-related, so don't feel badly.

VOTE! >

benwyeth

Staff

schlegelse wrote:I sent the art file and can resend. How do I send the new pic?

Was able to grab it from your second submission. Should be fixed now!

BEN WYETH

benwyeth

Staff

benjaminleebates wrote:Yeah, they are pretty cool, not to be offended, but they usually enforce this rule pretty regularly. Just wanted to be sure you (and others) knew.

Meant to weigh in on this earlier. Thanks for chiming in @benjaminleebates. This is indeed usually our general approach to Woot-themed designs. That said, maybe it's all the pollen in the air, but we talked it over and decided to let this one slide... because it's a joke derby and we like a good Woot joke as much as anyone...and it's a great design. Also, allergies.

BEN WYETH

peggyhacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peggyhacker

This is my co-workers FAVORITE joke - you must make this shirt so I can buy it for her!!!!!!!!!

Nicoleonyoutube

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nicoleonyoutube

Cute one

ReCHICKEN BUTT

benwyeth

Staff

Re: Ten Tickles

Love the art! So good. Don't even think it needs the text!

Also, this has been a great discussion to watch unfold. Thanks for the great question, @stanwillis, and thanks to everyone else for the insights.

BEN WYETH

benwyeth

Staff

Re: Who is there?

So lovely! Simple and delicate lines, fun play on pop culture. Also, it sorta reminds me of the Morton Salt girl.

BEN WYETH

benwyeth

Staff

Re: CHICKEN BUTT

Haha! This was a staple joke in my family! Used to drive my mom crazy... she's still trying to ban my siblings and me from using "that crude 'B' word!" Lol... maybe that's why butt-themed designs always make me chuckle! ;)

BEN WYETH

benwyeth

Staff

Re: Chicken Courier Services

So good!

BEN WYETH