omarfeliciano

quality posts: 48 Private Messages omarfeliciano
lyons8804 wrote:When Chris looked back...

...which was why I hoped this would fit within Woot's rules...

...we also added a backup entry...

...he deleted the "backup" before the 24-hour limit.

So..., how many of you are out there?

lyons8804

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lyons8804
omarfeliciano wrote:So..., how many of you are out there?

We have "Shirt Design Thursdays", and depending on whose idea it is (and who would split the money if we win), is who will submit the design. Makes it a whole lot easier than telling Woot's accountants - for this design, send the money to this person, and for this design send it to this address, and for this design deposit it in this account.

Since we work on them together, we don't really care who of us gets the credit. Chris does most of the final composition, but if it requires drawing or other design work, we pitch in, in different ways.

As for the question about this design, it doesn't mention Obama, and lots and lots of politicians made this particular promise. Plus, the whole "If you like your _______, you can keep your ______" has become a meme of its own.

[edit: Just realized I didn't answer your question.]

I think all seven of us have split money from various shirts, but not everyone has submitted a design of their own.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 40 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Visit Outside

Thanks so much for all the great comments, everyone. I was really pleased with how this one turned out.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Freak Show

Thanks for all the wonderful comments!

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 10141982

thank you very much for the reply...

wunschkinz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wunschkinz
Re: La Marche Futile

I really like this design. Great Monty Python ref.

wunschkinz

Re: Trust Us (Healthcare Version)

Timely and well done!

wunschkinz

Re: Vintage Trooper

Deeply disturbing, yet oddly compelling. Well done

wunschkinz

Re: Mother

Nice use of shadows and symmetry. your attention to detail is evident.

wunschkinz

Re: Join the Attack

Also deeply disturbing, but brilliant in executuion. +1

wunschkinz

Re: Join the Attack

Unlike my spelling ;)

cdrewlow

quality posts: 17 Private Messages cdrewlow
lyons8804 wrote:As for the question about this design, it doesn't mention Obama, and lots and lots of politicians made this particular promise. Plus, the whole "If you like your _______, you can keep your ______" has become a meme of its own.

I could make a shirt saying "Who loves ya, baby?" and not mention Telly Savalas, and even though lots of people have used that quote and there's this, (which is adorable, btw) people still know I'm referencing Telly Savalas, or more specifically, Kojak.

wunschkinz

Re: Hipsterland

I would buy this as a poster in a splut second! Great styling, palette, and humor-crafft.

wunschkinz

Great styling, great message! I need this shirt so I can wear it in front of my screen-addicted daughters. +1

oakenspirit

quality posts: 114 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: In the Stars

Thanks so much for the comments and votes! I'm proud of this one. ;)

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

I must have this!!

Re: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
EssenGrabow wrote:Remeber?

Yeah stupid mistake I really need to clean my key board and update my illustrator program. Or better yet hire a proof reader. My little one spelled better than me. LOL sad

thepiedpiper24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepiedpiper24

Considering my screen name I REALLY hope this wins! I want one so bad!

Re: The day the piper pied

JadenKale

quality posts: 186 Private Messages JadenKale

I can't wait to see this one win!

nimrond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond
briancurtis wrote:It's a modern day Don Quixote

...named Lord Christopher Monckton, maybe? >

flemtone

quality posts: 17 Private Messages flemtone
lyons8804 wrote:We have "Shirt Design Thursdays", and depending on whose idea it is (and who would split the money if we win), is who will submit the design. Makes it a whole lot easier than telling Woot's accountants - for this design, send the money to this person, and for this design send it to this address, and for this design deposit it in this account.

Since we work on them together, we don't really care who of us gets the credit. Chris does most of the final composition, but if it requires drawing or other design work, we pitch in, in different ways.

As for the question about this design, it doesn't mention Obama, and lots and lots of politicians made this particular promise. Plus, the whole "If you like your _______, you can keep your ______" has become a meme of its own.

[edit: Just realized I didn't answer your question.]

I think all seven of us have split money from various shirts, but not everyone has submitted a design of their own.

For some odd reason, I find this troubling. Collaborations I completely dig, but this sounds more like design by committee. How is this different from a commercial graphics shop?

The thing I love most about this place is that individual artists get the chance to test the waters (as a rookie) and/or perfect a particular style (Apelad, Kevlar & Spiritgreen come to mind). I just don't see the 'group hug' thing - an artist (or group of artists) who has their hands on an illustration should attach their names to it, be it a solo act or a cabal.

Hey, I'm not a graphic artist, though. As a musician, I would want to know who plays 3rd bassoon in the soundtrack to 'Forbidden Planet'. I would assume a graphic artist would want their contributions recognized as well.

flemtone

Re: To Boldly Go

C'mon, baby - Daddy needs a new baby-blue...

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
flemtone wrote:For some odd reason, I find this troubling. Collaborations I completely dig, but this sounds more like design by committee. How is this different from a commercial graphics shop?

The thing I love most about this place is that individual artists get the chance to test the waters (as a rookie) and/or perfect a particular style (Apelad, Kevlar & Spiritgreen come to mind). I just don't see the 'group hug' thing - an artist (or group of artists) who has their hands on an illustration should attach their names to it, be it a solo act or a cabal.

Hey, I'm not a graphic artist, though. As a musician, I would want to know who plays 3rd bassoon in the soundtrack to 'Forbidden Planet'. I would assume a graphic artist would want their contributions recognized as well.

What didn't get mentioned is that we're all in the same family - aged 14 - 46 - with one in-law. I'm an engineer and a musician, myself, and my daughter (17) is the primary true artist among us.

So it's more like "design-by-family-with-one-set-out-of-state" than a commercial design firm.

amanoxford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amanoxford
novels22 wrote:thats a funny story. Thats ok. As a futurama nerd, I totally love this. It would be cool if you made a soviet era style poster of MOM and mom corp. Very cool. I will totally vote for that one. I would hurry though.

That idea will have to wait - I do love a good parody of the soviet propaganda posters though!

bouldert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bouldert
Re: Just Sayin'

A huge pet peeve of mine is "Just Sayin'!". I'd wear this shirt.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 295 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Hipsterland

Thanks everyone. :^)

eehad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eehad
lyons8804 wrote:(..) As for the question about this design, it doesn't mention Obama, and lots and lots of politicians made this particular promise. (..)

so, as a non-american.. is this shirt meant pro or contra universal health care?

Zyada

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zyada
Re: Mother

I want this shirt!

scruz78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scruz78

Love this! Great message and fun shirt!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
eehad wrote:so, as a non-american.. is this shirt meant pro or contra universal health care?

It could be either, actually.

The current healthcare program (ACA, or "Obamacare") was sold as something between a free market system and universal care. The tag line from many politicians was "If you like your plan, you can keep it." (which has turned out for many to be untrue).

For those on the left, who would prefer a universal system, the loss of trust in selling the current system is a big issue.

For those on the right, who would prefer a free-market system, the false advertising used to sell the ACA is the big issue.

So, it's not really pro- or contra- universal health care, but more about lies politicians tell, and the degradation of trust when that happens.

I suppose if I'd designed this 20 years ago, the line at the top would be "Read my Lips"

flemtone

lyonscc wrote:What didn't get mentioned is that we're all in the same family - aged 14 - 46 - with one in-law. I'm an engineer and a musician, myself, and my daughter (17) is the primary true artist among us.

So it's more like "design-by-family-with-one-set-out-of-state" than a commercial design firm.

Thanks for that. I feel better about it now. I had images of a smoky basement room with artists gathered around a converted poker table furiously sketching while a small pot-bellied stove with a meager chunk of coal smoldered in a corner. A family thing I can get behind.

wootfast

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wootfast
Re: Freak Show

yes please

melquam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
Re: Jabba's Palace

Cool, except for the shadow of the um.. thingie in the back I can't unsee.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain

I like this, but the design is just too big on the shirt for my taste.

Re: To Boldly Go

camg3606

quality posts: 0 Private Messages camg3606
Re: Beware!

WANT!!!! MAKE SHIRT NOW PLEASE!!!

eehad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eehad
lyonscc wrote:It could be either, actually.

(..)

Thanks for the explanation
and sorry for missing out on the Top 9, still very good place!

aspire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aspire
Re: Join Today!

It makes me sad that I can't buy this...

-Andrew Makk

nimrond

Re: Tesla Live

This should've made print.

nimrond

Re: Mother of Ones

Hahaha, why didn't I see this in time?!
From the thumb I had a hard time figuring out what that smear of mustard was supposed to be. Perfect!