Bandrik

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Bandrik
Re: Polar Bear Stare

If the aurora was more stylized than just a muddle of random colors, this would actually be pretty damn cool. If you resub, keep it simple and just use a few analogous colors, like greens and blues.

jasneko

quality posts: 33 Private Messages jasneko
Re: We're going to need a bigger whale.
lucky1988 wrote:very sweet!!

Thank you lucky!

uniique wrote:Saw this pre-derby in the forum. Turned out nice! Well done

Glad to hear it, thanks uniique!

Bandrik

Re: Pouncing Fox

I love how foxes can pounce through snow and snag a meal. Sadly, this design's execution didn't fully work out. I still really appreciate the design though. From the fox pouncing "through" the shirt to the little rodent scratching and "pulling" on the front of the design, it's an overall nifty idea.

But I've rarely ever, EVER seen woot do a front-and-back design, and NEVER for a derby entry. I think they've done a front/back just a couple of times. It's about as rare as the glow-in-the-dark and metallic shirts.

As for combining the images, I really don't know how that could work out and still have the same killer effect. It's strength WAS the front/back. Oh well, nice try though.

Finally, fox butt. Haha.

Bandrik

Re: Beware Of The Yeti

I did really like the design. Consider holding onto it for another derby, sometime. It could easily be relevant someday, given woot's often crazy derby themes.

Pyro1910

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pyro1910

I like it. It's nice to see something with an on-topic message.

It's also nice to see something that is the exact opposite of Ramyb's cutesy crap.

Bandrik

uniique wrote:I thought gradients are okay if done in Illustrator?

I've noticed that some derbies, they've specifically asked for AI to have the gradients intact, but it's only been a few. I would assume that unless they specifically ask for AI gradients to be left intact, by default I would remember to create them as a halftone.

Bandrik

Re: Arctic - Like a Fox

Neat, but it's not on one of woot's shirt templates. It may get the rejectionator.

Bandrik

Re: Arctic - Like a Fox

Edit: nevermind, perhaps an official woot template isn't necessary. If so, my bad.

Tyranitar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tyranitar
Re: Don't even ask

People who hate on RamyB are obviously just jealous of his success. It saddens me that it's manifested in a hate-mongering spamfest.

You know what, people like his shirts. They're cute, funny, and it's what sells. It's not "progressive" and "creative" enough for you elitists. And you know what? Being a shirt.woot elitist is one of the saddest things you could possibly be. It's just a contest for people to make shirt designs that people like. It's not the frickin' Oscars.

Keep it up, RamyB. I support you just on principle. Let the people who never win Derbys embarrass themselves.

InkWiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages InkWiz
Re: Blood Feathers

Poachers want to sell the snowy owl's feathers, and its easier to kill them and take the feathers off than catching them and trying to pull off the feathers.

We hope you all like it.

http://threadless.com/submission/323515/Blue_Books_Of_Sorrow

Bandrik

Re: Blizzard

I like it. Even the subtitle is nice -- the font choice is good.

My only concern is if similar shirts exist. The catchphrase is commonly known, after all.

Tyranitar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tyranitar
Re: Snow Angels

Cute. Amazing. GMV.

hashimotoyoshio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
Re: North Pole Nom Nom

So, this is a very simple design. Trying to get a feel for what sort of thing people here like to see. I can make it much more elaborate, but simple things seem to do well.

ApeLad

quality posts: 65 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Beware Of The Yeti

Do a google image search for Expedition Everest postcard and see what happens.

Salinga

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Salinga
Re: Don't even ask

What saddens me is that ramy is capable of drawing good bunnies.
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=26057
Is he just getting lazy now?

lintor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lintor
Re: Outfoxed

I don't quite understand how it suits the theme... but I dunno if I quite understand the theme anyways.

That said... wow, its freakin cute, I'd vote if... you know, I could.

Phillystyle

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Phillystyle

Surely Polar Bears would frown upon high-fructose corn syrup.

homestarrunner21

quality posts: 2 Private Messages homestarrunner21
Tyranitar wrote:People who hate on RamyB are obviously just jealous of his success. It saddens me that it's manifested in a hate-mongering spamfest.

You know what, people like his shirts. They're cute, funny, and it's what sells. It's not "progressive" and "creative" enough for you elitists. And you know what? Being a shirt.woot elitist is one of the saddest things you could possibly be. It's just a contest for people to make shirt designs that people like. It's not the frickin' Oscars.

Keep it up, RamyB. I support you just on principle. Let the people who never win Derbys embarrass themselves.

No, you're obviously just jealous of their refined taste in shirts. Good thing you're so much better than those jolly elitists.

/kinda kidding

ninthWHEEL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninthWHEEL
Re: North For The Winter.

Thanks guys.

littlebubbles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlebubbles
Re: Polar Bear licking his chops

*Awww* super cute. I defitely will pick up one. And then I'll have a lot of hugs, I know that.

cdg ♡.

ellathorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellathorn
Re: Hibernation Love

My second sub evah ^^; Still kinda new to this.

These two polar bears are getting all snuggly during hibernation.

Hope you like <3

~Ella

littlebubbles

Re: WILD LIFE SUPPORT

My personal favourite. It's the only one in the top which in fact is taking serious the derby's topic. I hope it gets print.

cdg ♡.

littlebubbles

Re: Gunnbjørn Fjeld

Great style. I really like it.

cdg ♡.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Tyranitar wrote:People who hate on RamyB are obviously just jealous of his success. It saddens me that it's manifested in a hate-mongering spamfest.

Forget winning derbies. I want a shirt that deserves $1,000 to win, that's what it's all about. In a heartbeat! Rehashing old designs is boring.

foolyweakums

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foolyweakums
Re: melting away

melting away

lissateeaun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lissateeaun
Re: non-snow globe

First-time entrant. Tips are welcome.

Votes would also be encouraging!

lissateeaun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lissateeaun
Re: non-snow globe

My thumbnail got a bit squished. Is there a way to submit a new thumbnail?

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
ramyb wrote:It's really amazing the way that biases can work. Out of the entire derby, there are exactly 2 entries so far that aren't tied to the theme by "animals that live in the arctic." My interpretation of the theme was exactly the same as every other designer that chose to enter, and if you haven't figured out that bunnies are my favorite yet, I will just tell you right now that they are

and you still haven't figured out what they look like?

JiggaWagga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JiggaWagga

This design makes me want to puke up my guts, wrap my intestines around my neck and hang myself with them. No more bunnies.

hashimotoyoshio

megsck wrote:why couldnt you just shrink the design and put it on one shirt? you wont get as many votes with two shirts, and woot most likely wouldnt print a companion shirt from the derby, maybe a daily yes, but most likely not from a derby.

Yes. I thought about it. However, if I do that then the positioning wouldn't be correct. It's 45 degrees off and accurate for both sides. So if I just put it below then the legs would be backwards, if I flipped the image horizontally then it would still be off by 45 degrees. Can't win on this one. Wish I knew. Ah well. Fox butt!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Spirits of the Mountain

completely excellent work, loop!

hashimotoyoshio

Re: The Great Bear Teaches

Stop me if I'm wrong here but, isn't that a gradient? which is a no no?

Eudocia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eudocia
ThunderThighs wrote:Pro Tip: Don't use special characters in your Derby title. It causes the quote code stuff to truncate in posts like you see above. That kinda cheats you out of some free advertising in the combined derby thread.

The " got you here. Since it hasn't been posted for long, you might consider taking it down and reposting it.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to repost.

Eudocia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eudocia
Re: The real Polar Bear Club

Resubmission with a better title. Thanks to the comments from the previous submission about shirt title etiquette. Hope you still like the design.

rainbowconfetti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rainbowconfetti

Seriously people- as one other commenter said...it's a darn t-shirt okay. Why is everyone so obsessed with what this guy does or doesn't do??? If you don't like it , don't vote for it. People must have sad lives if they can get so concerned and enraged about a shirt with bunnies on it.

dsgnGrl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dsgnGrl
Bandrik wrote:I've noticed that some derbies, they've specifically asked for AI to have the gradients intact, but it's only been a few. I would assume that unless they specifically ask for AI gradients to be left intact, by default I would remember to create them as a halftone.

Last week they said to do leave Illustrator gradients in for all Derbies going forward.

SirGecko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SirGecko
ApeLad wrote:Do a google image search for Expedition Everest postcard and see what happens.

Lol, even worse than off theme! Blatant stealing!

SirGecko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SirGecko
Re: The real Polar Bear Club

I like it! Very cute.

walmazan

quality posts: 72 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Blizzard

ha! I love it!

walmazan

quality posts: 72 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Spirits of the Mountain

yes! and looks fantastic! incredible color palette!

+1