WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

This week, we want you to play with all the colors of the rainbow! [Within certain parameters.] Let your imagination run wild! [And then temper those ambitions a bit.]

-No Crème tees.

-Only 6 print colors allowed, so be crafty.

-In Estonia, they that believe if you point at a rainbow, your finger will fall off.

STAY RIGHT THERE, SALLY. WE'VE GOT A DERBY #373 PREVIEW FOR YOU.

Derby #373's theme: Heavy Metal

From hair bands to butt-rock and everything in between. Metallic Ink allowed but not required. If you do use metallic ink, here are the rules:

-One color per design! Silver or gold!

-Use either gold (#b69624) or silver (#c5c7c9) metallic shimmer ink for your design - only one, not both. Here is a swatch for reference.

-No halftones or gradients.

-The smallest line we can print using metallic ink is a 4 point line in Illustrator, or an 8 pixel line in Photoshop. (Those numbers are based on your artwork at full size.)

GUESS WHAT? No crème tees.

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn

*prepares for 78 DSOM 'parodies'*

Please, prove me wrong. Avoid the obvious!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:*prepares for 78 DSOM 'parodies'*

Please, prove me wrong. Avoid the obvious!

Doctor side of the Who, most likely.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

paxdomino

quality posts: 6 Private Messages paxdomino

Thanks for the preview!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 13 Private Messages benjaminleebates

DSOM?
Oh, yeah dark side of the... got it...

oakenspirit

quality posts: 110 Private Messages oakenspirit

YAY RAINBOWS!

So- early question on next week-

If we DON'T pick gold/silver ink, are 6 colors and halftones allowed?

Thanks for the headstart!

leslieh01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leslieh01

Lovin the headsup!

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
oakenspirit wrote:
If we DON'T pick gold/silver ink, are 6 colors and halftones allowed?

The wording seems to suggest that, kind of like one of the old Gold derbies where you didn't HAVE to use gold ink but if you did, you could only use that color.

baloubetdurouet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baloubetdurouet

another one I'm gonna have to sit out. can't wait to see the designs that everyone does, though.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
j5 wrote:Doctor side of the Who, most likely.

nevermind

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tjschaeffer

So sad that I plan to do a DSOM inspired design....

Grimgate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grimgate

I'm just pumped Woot has been previewing the future derbies. Makes the designs stronger as a whole I think.

benjaminleebates

tjschaeffer wrote:So sad that I plan to do a DSOM inspired design....

As do I...
I very different twist, tho...

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 30 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

The metallic ink thing is pretty dumb. Not being able to use multiple colors alongside it is unsatisfying sounding.

Ah well, 'heavy metal' is totally not my thing anyway, so, eh.

Woot's Men's Smalls: A speck on a shirt that might be art. Don't bother...

caramelarrow

quality posts: 16 Private Messages caramelarrow

Derby#372 really needed a "no Pink Floyd" rule. Woot has already printed seven shirts that directly reference the cover of DSOM and several others that could possibly be seen that way. Artists, please be more original and artistic than that. And if not, hopefully the "similar shirts exist" rule will be used.

07/11/14

benjaminleebates

caramelarrow wrote:Derby#372 really needed a "no Pink Floyd" rule. Woot has already printed seven shirts that directly reference the cover of DSOM and several others that could possibly be seen that way. Artists, please be more original and artistic than that. And if not, hopefully the "similar shirts exist" rule will be used.

While I agree with your pessimism, I disagree with a rule like that. Coming up with a design that references DSOM a still brings something original will truly be something to behold...

caramelarrow

quality posts: 16 Private Messages caramelarrow
benjaminleebates wrote:While I agree with your pessimism, I disagree with a rule like that. Coming up with a design that references DSOM a still brings something original will truly be something to behold...

Well, I'll hope that you and the others can surprise everyone.

07/11/14

leslieh01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leslieh01

Ok. Here's my first offerings. Haha. Took me all day because I was busy with life! Haha. I had a grand idea of a fully drawn white dove with rainbow paints dripping down and outward a bit. Anyhow wanna draw that for me? Haha So let the most excellent criticisms begin!

oakenspirit

leslieh01 wrote:Ok. Here's my first offerings. Haha. Took me all day because I was busy with life! Haha. I had a grand idea of a fully drawn white dove with rainbow paints dripping down and outward a bit. Anyhow wanna draw that for me? Haha So let the most excellent criticisms begin!

It's a pretty cool idea- I currently don't love the main body of the dove- the bottom half seems clunky or something, but I like the overall look and the head and feathers. Not a huge fan of the paint splats as a generality, so I wonder if there is some other colorful thing you could have in their place- that may just be me though...

:D GL!

oakenspirit

Here is what I have so far- not my usual fare but it was fun to make. Is this too... I don't know...

ALSO- should I drop the text- wife just related it to Lady Gaga, which was not my intent....

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
leslieh01 wrote:Ok. Here's my first offerings. Haha. Took me all day because I was busy with life! Haha. I had a grand idea of a fully drawn white dove with rainbow paints dripping down and outward a bit. Anyhow wanna draw that for me? Haha So let the most excellent criticisms begin!

Dramatic on black, interesting on white.
Could we see a bit o' beak? The dove head is not obvious.

I'm going to sit this one out, possibly stop wooting altogether for the semester. School has started and I should be doing a lot of other things now.

tjschaeffer

oakenspirit wrote:Here is what I have so far- not my usual fare but it was fun to make. Is this too... I don't know...

I think there may be a context, not a bad context, mind you, but a context nonetheless, that could be taken from this piece.

EDIT: Really well done and funny, though.

oakenspirit

tjschaeffer wrote:I think there may be a context, not a bad context, mind you, but a context nonetheless, that could be taken from this piece.

EDIT: Really well done and funny, though.

If you mean it could be interpreted as Pro-same-sex relationships, I am fine with that interpretation and it was created with that openness to interpretation in mind- if, however, it comes across as mocking or negative to that viewpoint, I don't want that at all...

Glad you like it!

brostephhhx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brostephhhx
oakenspirit wrote:Here is what I have so far- not my usual fare but it was fun to make. Is this too... I don't know...

ALSO- should I drop the text- wife just related it to Lady Gaga, which was not my intent....

I definitely thought of Lady Gaga. It's adorable, though.

remo28

quality posts: 32 Private Messages remo28

I think he's pretty cute. I prefer shirts without text personally. But on this shirt I'd still wear it.

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

This literally popped into my head as I was trying (and failing) to fall asleep, so I figured I may try making something out of it since I can't sleep. I'll finish it in the mornin'.

FoxSonic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FoxSonic

To me the 'dove' looks more like the Native American 'thunderbird' depiction. The black bgd looks better too.

[/quote]

-Thae-

lowkey88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lowkey88

If you mean it could be interpreted as Pro-same-sex relationships, I am fine with that interpretation and it was created with that openness to interpretation in mind- if, however, it comes across as mocking or negative to that viewpoint, I don't want that at all...

As a proud member of the pink mafia I can tell you with confidence that it does not come across as mocking or negative at all.

I love it, would vote/buy/wear it with a happy smile!

The text is maybe a little Lady Gaga, but that wasn't my first thought. Once it was pointed out I thought 'oh yeah...', so make of that what you will.
I like the text, and while I'm not usually a text on shirt person I think it adds, but I think the cute lil' guy is strong enough to stand alone too.

How do I make the image smaller?

Edit: thank you Oakenspirit!
I tried pretty much every variation but that! >.<

oakenspirit

Thanks everyone- I may simply shift the wording to "I evolved this way" or "I evolved like this" or just drop the text entirely- I'll stew on it-

lowkey88 wrote:

How do I make the image smaller?

If you change the image code to (for example) {IMG=100x100}{/IMG} , it will force the image to that size- Also, of course, change the {'s to ['s...

:D

oakenspirit

anemality wrote:

This literally popped into my head as I was trying (and failing) to fall asleep, so I figured I may try making something out of it since I can't sleep. I'll finish it in the mornin'.

That's rad! I really like the drawing style and how they have such different hair styles- and I am certain your colors will amaze-

I immediately wondered where they got their paint from and thought there should be a bucket in one of the clouds (or colored clouds they are using for "paint") but that is likely needless and would possibly clutter a nice design-

treblesinger72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72

here is mine, is a Zenzontle (common mockingbird, but i like the Nahuatl better, and the idea came from a poem of an Aztec Emperor...
"I love the song of the Zenzontle, bird of 400 songs..."

as always comments, and critiques always welcome

treblesinger72

anemality wrote:

i like it!!! very cute and love "painting" attempts of your characters :-)

oakenspirit

treblesinger72 wrote:here is mine, is a Zenzontle (common mockingbird, but i like the Nahuatl better, and the idea came from a poem of an Aztec Emperor...
"I love the song of the Zenzontle, bird of 400 songs..."

as always comments, and critiques always welcome

OH! Lovely- I really like the ink and wash look you have going with that- Excellent work!

At first I thought the green/yellow on the right-top cactus was distracting (as it is the only one) but it is neat how the birds song is coloring the picture- I wonder if that could be played up a step further so it seems more obvious on first glance-

treblesinger72

I love it! it is adorable, an affirmation that is OK to be different :-) and I didn't even realize the Lady gaga connection...

treblesinger72

oakenspirit wrote:OH! Lovely- I really like the ink and wash look you have going with that- Excellent work!

At first I thought the green/yellow on the right-top cactus was distracting (as it is the only one) but it is neat how the birds song is coloring the picture- I wonder if that could be played up a step further so it seems more obvious on first glance-

Thanks! I did try coloring more to make it more obvious that the song is coloring the landscape, but looked a bit weird since the head of the bird is turned in the other direction... but I can always try and see what happens :-) maybe and more of a horizon and color that... oh the possibilities...

treblesinger72

oakenspirit wrote:OH! Lovely- I really like the ink and wash look you have going with that- Excellent work!

ok, tried it with a bit more color...

tjschaeffer

oakenspirit wrote:If you mean it could be interpreted as Pro-same-sex relationships, I am fine with that interpretation and it was created with that openness to interpretation in mind- if, however, it comes across as mocking or negative to that viewpoint, I don't want that at all...

Glad you like it!

I don't think it comes off as negative or mocking. And the more I think about it the less I think it is necessarily the case that most people will immediately see the same-sex relationship context.

Funny thing is when I first looked at it I immediately thought about the mantis shrimp, but that's probably due to the fact that I was reading a comic from The Oatmeal about it earlier in the night...

jnolen85

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnolen85

funny to follow up rainbow and spectrums with heavy metal... Good thing though. I've been sitting on a design that I HOPE gets more than 4 or 5 dang votes.....may preview it on here to see if I can get any feedback from you folks.

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn

I thought of Lady Gaga too, but am ok with that. Think the dino is uber cute, very RAWR!

treblesinger72 wrote:ok, tried it with a bit more color...

What are the designs above the bird, in the color washes? I don't understand them.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

treblesinger72

Mavyn wrote:What are the designs above the bird, in the color washes? I don't understand them.

Since I was inspired by an Aztec poem, I wanted to use something that reference that directly... If you ever looked at an Aztec codex the pictures of people talking had bubbles, but the ones that are singing or reciting poetry (for the Aztecs music and poetry are represented the same way) are very much adorned... In cuicatl, in xochitl... Flowered music... So that it is what it is...