Last Purchase:
7 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 44% of Shirt Woots
Top 26% of all Woots
Woots Sold:

lordbowen

quality posts: 848 Private Messages lordbowen

This shirt hits home! Still have some 8" disks in a closet. Well done, Fishbiscuit.

biwsoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biwsoc

Actually it pictures a flippy disk. Floppies were the 7 1/4".

bobrhoades

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobrhoades
biwsoc wrote:Actually it pictures a flippy disk. Floppies were the 7 1/4".

Actually, the disk picture is not a flippy. A flippy was a single side 5.25" disk that you flipped over to use the other side. It still is a floppy disk though. Flippy was more of a slang term.

source: I used to make my own flippies with a hole punch back in the day.

This is my original signature.

goldiesmarv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages goldiesmarv

I don't get the dates. Are they the first time anyone started thinking about them? They don't quite seem to be the first year each one was released, and they are certainly not the year each one became obsolete. I took some CAD courses in 2004 and 3.5" floppies were still the norm.

sonofafish

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sonofafish

Yes! My dad still has some old 8" I think. When I was a kid I thought the disc inside was an LP record.

Great design, FB! You seem to have taken us all back!

that's my time, folks

misdee17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misdee17

Normally the shirts I buy are for the men in my life, but this one is for me. I need this.

woottoady

quality posts: 51 Private Messages woottoady

Good morning shirt.woot!

Our lawyers will be contacting your lawyers to discuss infringement.

http://bigfloppydisk.com/

https://www.facebook.com/bigfloppydisk

wmoyer650

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wmoyer650
goldiesmarv wrote:I don't get the dates. Are they the first time anyone started thinking about them? They don't quite seem to be the first year each one was released, and they are certainly not the year each one became obsolete. I took some CAD courses in 2004 and 3.5" floppies were still the norm.

I'm trying to figure the dates out as well. Of course if you were getting classes on them in 2004 that was an issue. At that point you should have been using a small USB or some some sort of Iomega drive.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 61 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

I'm so excited this printed! Thanks for the votes and support.

fishbiscuit5

goldiesmarv wrote:I don't get the dates. Are they the first time anyone started thinking about them? They don't quite seem to be the first year each one was released, and they are certainly not the year each one became obsolete. I took some CAD courses in 2004 and 3.5" floppies were still the norm.

I researched the timeline of floppy disks and used this page as a reference for the dates. I have plenty of disks still sitting in a shoebox that I'm itching to use. http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=stor

CMHDave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CMHDave

Yea, I like this except for the dates. Clearly it's the dates they were introduced and not when they were obsolete. If I have to research the dates to make sense of it, someone on the street definitely isn't going to get it.

lckylbstr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lckylbstr

write up was awesome! been cleaning out my dad's basement and have found all of these old media: dissertation on punchcard, check; data from earliest published paper on huge reels of magnetic tape, check; early bank simulation software on cassette, check; big floppies with digdug and olympic games on them (actually, these are mine), double check; and finally, my own stuff from high school on 5.25 floppies and early zip. if only i had a computer with a drive to read them. sigh.

jasneko

quality posts: 33 Private Messages jasneko

Congrats Fishbiscuit!! I still love the retro look... and of course the subject matter is nostalgic;)

mbspell

quality posts: 43 Private Messages mbspell

When my husband and I started dating, we emailed a lot. Our courtship of emails are all saved... on floppy disk. I didn't realize I was that old...

philgonet

quality posts: 13 Private Messages philgonet

yeah, I remember these as well.
I find it funny/ironic, that the floppy is still the "save" function icon in Windows! Lots of young people don't get the reference (sort of like trying to explain 'clockwise'...) **SIGH**

philgonet

mbspell wrote:When my husband and I started dating, we emailed a lot. Our courtship of emails are all saved... on floppy disk. I didn't realize I was that old...

Yeah, you're old...
My wife and I had been married over 15 years before the term was even commonly used ...
** Double SIGH**

bfselby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfselby
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I researched the timeline of floppy disks and used this page as a reference for the dates. I have plenty of disks still sitting in a shoebox that I'm itching to use. http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=stor

Yea, the dates don't seem to match the "obsolete" tour label. It's like a reunion tour tshirt having the date the band started.

fishbiscuit5

lckylbstr wrote:if only i had a computer with a drive to read them. sigh.

I still have this if you want to borrow it for any 3.5" in your collection. We just need to find someone with a boot disk.

Also, if anyone wants to upgrade DOS, I'm your girl.

I honestly don't know why I still have all this stuff.

bradlinf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bradlinf

This shirt will be obsoloet tomorrow. (I'll still wear it though)

miguelgonzalez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miguelgonzalez

Technically, the 3.5", with its rigid casing, was not a floppy, but a diskette.

capsfanbryce

quality posts: 4 Private Messages capsfanbryce

Great design, in for one! Congrats on the print!!

walmazan

quality posts: 72 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats Naheed! Love it!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 114 Private Messages oakenspirit

One of my favorite designs you've made- Love it Fishbiscuit! Grats on the print.

philgonet

fishbiscuit5 wrote:I still have this if you want to borrow it for any 3.5" in your collection. We just need to find someone with a boot disk.

FWIW there are USB drives available for 3.5" diskettes. I just bought one to read some old disks that my son had used 20 yrs ago.
I have plenty of regular old 3.5" drives, but none of my current computers have the necessary pin-out to connect them!

misdee17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misdee17
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I still have this if you want to borrow it for any 3.5" in your collection. We just need to find someone with a boot disk.

You can get USB connected floppy drives. I have one and it works great.

ETA: Yep you said that, nevermind.

harlandb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harlandb

Great looking shirt.
I still use 3.5" floppies to back up a version of Peachtree Accounting that runs on DOS 6.22. Local store still uses it for monthly statements.

ohikennedy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohikennedy

~ siighh ~
Jeez I'd love to buy this, if it said "The World Tour" rather than "The Obsolete Tour"! According to the ComputerHistory.org timeline the artist referenced, the dates are the years when the respective disks were first available. As others commented & I can verify by my work history, the various memory disc sizes remained in use for decades after more advanced options were introduced.