Back to Amazon.com

acraigl

quality posts: 232 Private Messages acraigl

I swear, it seems like every other order, the image is improperly located on the blank. I contact customer service, they refill the order, and the second time it's fine. Happened again today:

For real, what's going on with QC over there? Is there some know issue with proper placement of the design?

VOTE >

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1038 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry about that. I've sent it to the shirt team so they can research it.

Sounds like you've already contacted CS.

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

acraigl

ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry about that. I've sent it to the shirt team so they can research it.

Sounds like you've already contacted CS.

Thanks TT. In the past I've only gone through support, so I thought I'd post to make sure it was visible. I can't be the only one getting these gravity-impacted designs.

VOTE >

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 19 Private Messages benjaminleebates
acraigl wrote:Thanks TT. In the past I've only gone through support, so I thought I'd post to make sure it was visible. I can't be the only one getting these gravity-impacted designs.

I just got my replacement for a shirt where the white base was omitted. In a different order I got two totally different shirts from what I ordered. They are awesome about getting you the right stuff, no questons asked. But I would hope they track some issue internally, so they can improve.

You can find my shirts for sale HERE or THERE!

Narfcake

quality posts: 397 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benjaminleebates wrote:... But I would hope they track some issue internally, so they can improve.

I'm sure it's tracked, but the bigger question is whether anything is being done to address it. And I'm not sure if that has happened. Or will ever happen.

As I see it, the QC checking is after it's arrived in your mailbox. Wrong size? Mailed anyway. Wrong shirt color? Mailed anyway. Wrong shirt brand? Mailed anyway. Defective blank? Mailed anyway. Wrong print? Mailed anyway. Wrong print location? Missing print location? Wrong print color? Missed colors? Poor registration? Streaks throughout the print? Ink elsewhere on the shirt? All were mailed out anyway. I should know -- because I've experienced them.

-----
In comparison ...

Number of shirt issues I've had at a different site from the past five years: 3 total. One for shipping (back when the warehouse was his apartment and operating hours was when he wasn't in class) and two for blanks. 100+ shirts, zero print issues.

Number of shirt issues I've had here last three months: 10+. Two for the blank, two for the wrong shirts, two for missing shirts in a multiple shirt order, and the remainder for the printing.

(This isn't a recent thing. There's a long running Quality Control Concerns thread from about 5 years ago too.)

A bad print should NOT leave the shop at all -- but they do. And that refects very poorly on shirt.woot. It makes folks think that no one cares about the product. And it makes folks think that ALL shirt.woot products are done this poorly.

And that makes for a horrible buying experience. Repeat business? That's very unlikely.

I still buy here because I know what to expect. I like the artists here. I like the mix of designs here. I like the mix of styles here. I accept the premium blanks here. I accept the print quality when things are going well. I dislike all the issues I've had -- and that it's so common for me that it makes it very hard for me to recommend shirt.woot to others.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

acraigl

In addition to the improper placement issues, I've experienced:

- wrong size blank
- right size blank, wrong gender
- improperly sized design
- wash-and-go prints (image doesn't survive a single trip in the wash)
- skewed or stretched image

Hopefully these get straightened out. Pun intended.

VOTE >

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

acraigl wrote:...
- wash-and-go prints (image doesn't survive a single trip in the wash)

Yeah, I've had some of those too.

I was hoping that all these issues were just my bad luck, but it seems that it's not.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

Krollig2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Krollig2

Staff

Thank you all for this kind of feedback; this is critical to our improvement efforts. We do keep track of all issues that our customers and artists provide and are working to fix them. The good news is that we have a solution for many of the issues you have all expressed that will be coming soon!

Please keep the feedback coming as it is critical for the growth and success of Shirt.Woot, which is something we all want!

Thanks!!!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 17 Private Messages cdrewlow

On a side note, that's a sweet shirt, acraigl. It's my new favorite of your stuff.

acraigl

cdrewlow wrote:On a side note, that's a sweet shirt, acraigl. It's my new favorite of your stuff.

Awesome! Thanks man. Got a fun one launching tomorrow. Stay tuned.

VOTE >

benjaminleebates

acraigl wrote:Awesome! Thanks man. Got a fun one launching tomorrow. Stay tuned.

How do you know? I only get a vague "soon." Do you press them?

acraigl

benjaminleebates wrote:How do you know? I only get a vague "soon." Do you press them?

Oh! I just meant in the derby. I don't have any inside info.

VOTE >

benjaminleebates

acraigl wrote:Oh! I just meant in the derby. I don't have any inside info.

launching for votes, not printing. Got it. My mind is GONE...
I was telling TT, that this is a week full of mondays.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

This is the kind of QC issue that IMHO, should not have left the print shop. Was the print head clogged? Was the ink not properly agitated? How many other shirts were printed on that particular run before being taken care of?

@jasneko tends to keep her designs on the smaller side, but I don't know if this got the right sized print file one or not. In the past, I've received incorrect sized prints, both undersized and oversized (on tanks).

The thing is, I know shirt.woot is capable of doing a good job, especially with the newer designs. This printed on the high side, but was otherwise fine:

And this came out very good, almost rivaling screen print quality:

This should be the level of print quality that leaves 99+% of the time.

Out of the 16 shirts in the past month, I've had one blank issue (not directly shirt.woot's fault, though it did slip past QC), one streaky print issue (above), and one which was the wrong print completely. I'm not furious, but buying shirts shouldn't require so much followup either -- both on my end and ultimately on Woot's end.

Wootoad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Wootoad

I've had my share of shirt issues over the years - I thought maybe it was just me. Wrong shirt, missing shirt, blank QC issues... Customer service has always been great about making things right, though.

That said, I just received a shirt with poor print quality, which is a new one for me. I bought a "Mu" shirt awhile back and loved it, but it had a hole in the neck seam after a wash or two - the fabric had not been caught properly when it was sewn. I hand-mended it, but then the hem started coming out after another wash or two. I ordered a replacement for it when the catalog shirts were 20% off. The blank on the replacement seems fine, but the print quality is not nearly as good as on the faulty blank one. The newer shirt's white printing is not as opaque - it has fine lines running vertically through it, especially through the cow's midsection. I haven't decided whether it's worth contacting CS over or not, but I am a bit disappointed, as I really like the art and was looking forward to having it on a shirt with no holes or hem issues.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Wootoad wrote:... The newer shirt's white printing is not as opaque - it has fine lines running vertically through it, especially through the cow's midsection.

Sounds like the same print issue I posted above. What was the batch number on yours? Mine was 264172.

benjaminleebates

They should give way Bundles of Crayonss when there print errors and mishaps. Or at least give them away randomly as an "Im sry" to those of us that have had these goofs.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benjaminleebates wrote:They should give way Bundles of Crayonss when there print errors and mishaps. Or at least give them away randomly as an "Im sry" to those of us that have had these goofs.

Yeah, we're not here to bankrupt them. They're owning up to the issues; the problem is that the issues happen too often IMHO.

benjaminleebates

Narfcake wrote:Yeah, we're not here to bankrupt them. They're owning up to the issues; the problem is that the issues happen too often IMHO.

I know, I was kind of being funny.
I just like random giveaways. It was crazy how high the derby number got, when they gave away some swag to voters.
Plus, I can never snag a Bundles of Crayons, I think I got one twice (two separate events) when they were giving them away for like hours on end.
The argument for more than just replacement is not to bankrupt, but to make more of a sting so that the frequency diminishes.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benjaminleebates wrote:I know, I was kind of being funny.
I just like random giveaways. It was crazy how high the derby number got, when they gave away some swag to voters.
Plus, I can never snag a Bundles of Crayons, I think I got one twice (two separate events) when they were giving them away for like hours on end.
The argument for more than just replacement is not to bankrupt, but to make more of a sting so that the frequency diminishes.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever posted what I got in that derby Bundles of Crayons. I remember the HP optical mouse from it, though; I still use it!

With other shirt sites, the "share it for a chance to win a free shirt" model has helped tremendously with their growth. I'm not sure if it's too late for shirt.woot now, however; with the QC issues, folks might be more apt to sharing their negative experiences instead. It also doesn't help that design thieves have gotten so brazen as to advertise stolen designs on FB and the like nowadays either.

Perhaps a "vote for a chance to win a free shirt" may be a better option IF the default sort gets reverted back to date or even random instead? I still dislike the default sorting by votes.

(Added to all this is that there are still Wooters that don't understand that there's a reason why the standard offering is cheaper and even more who seemingly ignore that sizing charts exist for a reason.)

benjaminleebates

Narfcake wrote:Come to think of it, I don't think I ever posted what I got in that derby Bundles of Crayons. I remember the HP optical mouse from it, though; I still use it!

With other shirt sites, the "share it for a chance to win a free shirt" model has helped tremendously with their growth. I'm not sure if it's too late for shirt.woot now, however; with the QC issues, folks might be more apt to sharing their negative experiences instead. It also doesn't help that design thieves have gotten so brazen as to advertise stolen designs on FB and the like nowadays either.

Perhaps a "vote for a chance to win a free shirt" may be a better option IF the default sort gets reverted back to date or even random instead? I still dislike the default sorting by votes.

(Added to all this is that there are still Wooters that don't understand that there's a reason why the standard offering is cheaper and even more who seemingly ignore that sizing charts exist for a reason.)

My first Bundles of Crayons got me the big letter.
It was a nice big box of goodies (and not so goodies) I use many of the items from the big box on a regular basis. Tea pot, mini jambox, pots, towels, etc.

acraigl

Sigh.
They replaced my Dante's Dark Roast with my Miracle Max shirt. Guess I have have another round trip to CS.

VOTE >

Wootoad

Narfcake wrote:Sounds like the same print issue I posted above. What was the batch number on yours? Mine was 264172.

Unfortunately, I pulled off the stickers from both shirts in my order in anticipation of washing them before I realized there was a problem with the printing. Trash day was today, so it's already gone. Sorry! I can try to post a picture of the two shirts together if that would be helpful.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

acraigl wrote:Sigh.
They replaced my Dante's Dark Roast with my Miracle Max shirt. Guess I have have another round trip to CS.

It says replacement on the label?

Wootoad wrote:Unfortunately, I pulled off the stickers from both shirts in my order in anticipation of washing them before I realized there was a problem with the printing. Trash day was today, so it's already gone. Sorry! I can try to post a picture of the two shirts together if that would be helpful.

It'd be helpful for CS, at least.

Oh, and one more QC issue I forgot about - front vs back print. I have an extremely "limited edition" of Some Motivation Required that was printed on the back of the shirt instead of the front!

ETA: when did the two-sided and catalog back prints go "out of print"?

Wootoad

I placed my order pretty late on Sunday night, September 3rd, if that info is of any use.

ThunderThighs

Staff

acraigl wrote:Sigh.

Talked with CS. Miracle was one of your orders. The replacement for Dante is in transit.

To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

acraigl

ThunderThighs wrote:Talked with CS. Miracle was one of your orders. The replacement for Dante is in transit.

I guess that's good news. Bad news is that the Miracle order must have been doubled on woot's end b/c I only ordered 2 (but I got 2 packages of 2). If you can hold the Dante replacement replacement, great.

Thanks for looking into it TT.

VOTE >

transformingegg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages transformingegg

I just got a light grey blank instead of black on an order and CS are sending a replacement. Surely this is costing woot a significant amount of money given how frequent the mistakes are.. :S

ThunderThighs

Staff

transformingegg wrote:I just got a light grey blank instead of black on an order and CS are sending a replacement. Surely this is costing woot a significant amount of money given how frequent the mistakes are.. :S

Keep in mind that the people reporting issues are relatively small in comparison to the number of shirts sold. People are more likely to post problems than when they're happily wearing their shirt.

That said, the shirt group is continually working to improve quality and quality control. Each issue is forwarded to them for investigation.

transformingegg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages transformingegg
ThunderThighs wrote:Keep in mind that the people reporting issues are relatively small in comparison to the number of shirts sold. People are more likely to post problems than when they're happily wearing their shirt.

Yes that's true. I happily wear the vast majority of the shirts I have ordered. But being someone who has ordered around 100 or so shirts now and having had mistaken orders (wrong products), bad looking stripe-y prints, the one wash disappears trick, the missing one colour in the print, the wrong color blank issues. It really is around 5% or so of what I have ordered.

Customer service really has been great fixing all of them, but loosing 5 shirts profit in every 100 can't be great for woot.

Or perhaps I am just very unlucky??? Given there are others here who order multiple shirts and have been presented with multiple issues over time, it's not just individual people here who are saying one shirt went wrong. They seems to be saying it isn't an isolated experience for them personally (multiple issues for individuals).

marceepauff

quality posts: 24 Private Messages marceepauff

Does this look like it printed too low to you?

Kids shirt - and the print is on her belly...

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

ThunderThighs wrote:Keep in mind that the people reporting issues are relatively small in comparison to the number of shirts sold. People are more likely to post problems than when they're happily wearing their shirt.

That said, the shirt group is continually working to improve quality and quality control. Each issue is forwarded to them for investigation.

That is true -- and that's a reason why I've been posting the ones that arrive fine in the shirt thread; the ones that are I judge as just acceptable or worse, I haven't. And it's good to know that issues are passed on.

Still, I feel the number of issues is rather disproportionate, as some of us here *cough*cough* buys lots of shirts. And based on the number of woot shirts that I'm finding second hand in thrift stores, I don't believe that every Wooter reports their issues and instead just chalks it up to "cheap shirts that I won't buy again". A fair number of finds are not for old worn out shirts that are weeks away from being a wash rag but for shrunken shirts (Anvil) under a year old. Even for under $2, I pass some up because of the print and/or shirt's condition. I don't know whether they wrote into support or not, but if I'm seeing them in a thrift store, they definitely were not satisfied to want to keep it -- and I would guess that not all of those customers will be returning to buy more shirts here.

The number of poorly DTG printed TeeFury shirts I've ran across doesn't bode well for them either -- though I think a fair number of folks have written them off already after failing to deliver holiday orders from November until the following February a couple years ago.

Discounting the blank and shipping issues here, I'm probably at about 1 print issue for every 12 shirts from this past year, some of which I have yet to report. This contrasts with zero print issues in 110+ shirts from a different site, and that includes a couple DTG prints. Yes, CS takes care of it, but that's not the true solution to any underlying issues that are being passed onto the customer; the best CS is the one that doesn't need to be contacted for anything at all.

You can do better, Woot. I used to be able to say to anyone asking that "It's shirt.woot; no problem ordering from them." For a while now, I have to say "It's shirt.woot; if you don't mind that the standard men's shirt fits awkwardly and will shrink two sizes in the wash, that you might get a belly print, a skewed print, a streaky print, the wrong print, or completely the wrong shirt, and be prepared to deal with CS and wait another week, no problem ordering from them." That gets awkward, y'know.

Besides, someone else is still cranking out new catshirts, even while being head deep with $1+ million in unicorns this past month.

ThunderThighs

Staff

marceepauff wrote:Does this look like it printed too low to you?

Kids shirt - and the print is on her belly...

Yeah, it shouldn't be printed that low. Please use the Woot Customer Service form for assistance. Let me know if you have any problems getting a replacement.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Are the operators regularly checking to see that ink is flowing well and hasn't settled? This is one that's borderline acceptable ...

... namely in the uneven application of the white underbase ...

I haven't washed it yet to see if it's an application/curing issue, which I believe is a cause of washability issues that some other shirts have suffered (that I need to write in about too).

Given the printing is computerized, why are there registration issues with DTG (left)? Look at the left edge. This was from an earlier order compared to my screened (right) copy.

The colors could be dialed in a little better, but it's not bad otherwise and is not something to write in about.

I'm not sure if this was too light of an application of the underbase, a print profile that's too light, and/or too light on the colors originally ...

Registration seems a slight bit off too ...

At least these two printed fine ...

... though I'll have to try on Anana! to see if it's "too low", as my other two copies were printed higher.

Krollig2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Krollig2

Staff

Let me start by apologizing for the issues that you all have experienced with our shirts; we value you and your feedback and want to deliver the best product(s).

As head of the shirt business for Woot, I take our business and the quality of our products very seriously. This means I work directly with our operations team to share our customer feedback and to create new magical wizardry to control the monkey's. We are currently implementing new processes that will address shirt blank size, image placement, and correct image to name a few. We work tirelessly to wrangle the animal farm to continue to deliver the unique shirts you expect from our talented artist community. Thank you for all of your feedback and continued support of Shirt.Woot! Now where did I put my glasses?

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Krollig2 wrote:Let me start by apologizing for the issues that you all have experienced with our shirts; we value you and your feedback and want to deliver the best product(s). ...

Thank you.

The big wrinkle in this is in the QC thread from 5+ years ago, and it seems that the (IMHO) common issues posted in that thread then still mirror the complaints in this recent thread. Seeing formerly active Wooters who are not active these days ... sigh ...

(Disclaimer: That was about that time in which I quit too ... until cake came back (on AA). I wasn't completely out of the loop, though, as Neuro was my GF at the time.)

Anyway ...
-- Implementing QC checks would go a loooong ways in reducing the number of issues that a customer faces and would allow for quicker corrective actions to the DTG or operation that needs to be adjusted. If a print head is clogged, the ink isn't flowing well or has settled, isn't it better to stop the printer after one or two shirts, fix it, and reprint those than to let it keep going for hundreds more, facing the cost of reprinting many more PLUS additional shipping PLUS CS time PLUS a disgruntled Wooter? If shirts aren't being properly loaded, isn't it better to pinpoint why when it's only a few affected shirts versus many? I'm pretty sure a reason the labels were put into place from last June was to be able to track the orders, which machine is printing, and who's operating the printer. Any misprints could be redistributed via Bundles of Crayons or explicitly stated misprinted randoms.

-- I feel that many of the newer designs have their color profiles dialed in well, but some of the older designs could really be better IMHO. Is anyone actively looking at what prints out when they're ordered? Does a Schrodinger's Cat ordered nowadays still look as muddy as it did 4+ years ago? I'll post some comparison pics on several DTG versus screened shirts later this week.

-- Reconsider the image sizes on shirts. The current design size/shirt size print range was put into place after "the switch" after complaints about how small prints the prints were on the women's Anvil blanks. This has changed, as since the move from the custom made ones to the shelf-stock ones, the women's Anvil blanks nowadays aren't "a men's shirt" size anymore. So how's about for K4/K6, use a small 50%-62.5%; K8 to WM or WL and tank tops, use a medium 75%-87.5%; WL or WXL to M3XL, use a full 100% print. This won't preclude an operator loading the wrong print file, but at the very least, implementing a new guideline should mean that prints are not so oversized that they're practically printing on the seams and hems.

-- CS refunding the customer should NOT be a default resolution when there are shirt issues. Folks ordered a shirt because they wanted a good printed shirt, not a poorly printed shirt for free.

-- A number of artists chimed in under this old thread.

-- When you're confident that any changes made a significant difference, make an honest apology. Show that shirt.woot is not a some faceless subsidiary under Amazon. Threadless did when their blanks were super crap. TeeTurtle did when shipping was taking over a month (as the warehouse was Ramy's apartment). Shirt.woot could do it too to win back folks who were turned off in the past.

Just my thoughts today ...

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Grrr!

Ordered:

Wise Creature

Arrived:

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

To add the last one, CS did respond back (thank you), but my frustration level still increased over the use of slate (vs. silver).

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

So I finally opened today's arrival -- The Infinite Universe on a sweatshirt. I ordered one copy on Monday.

It's the right product as ordered -- Yay!

It's not misprinted -- Yay!

It's just the like one I received yesterday! -- Uhhh ...

acraigl

Narfcake wrote:So I finally opened today's arrival -- The Infinite Universe on a sweatshirt. I ordered one copy on Monday.

It's the right product as ordered -- Yay!

It's not misprinted -- Yay!

It's just the like one I received yesterday! -- Uhhh ...

That's what happened to me for my Max design.
1. Ordered Dante's Dark Roast (OP)
2. Ordered Miracle Max's
3. Dante misprinted, contacted support
4. 2 packages arrived, 2 each of Max. Assumed CS mixed up the Dante replacement order, contacted them again.
5. 2 days later replacement Dante arrives
6. 3 days later replacement replacement Dante arrives

So all told I ordered 4 shirts (2 separate orders):
- 2 Dante, 2 Max.

I received 10 shirts:
- 2 misprinted Dante's,
- 2 Max,
- 2 Max (Duped order),
- 2 Dante replacement for misprint,
- 2 Dante replacement replacement - my error for thinking the duped Max (woot's error) was woot's error.

*whew*

VOTE >