WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How old were you when you discovered that Santa wasn't real?
  • 5.2% - 1 to 3 27
  • 12.6% - 4 to 5 65
  • 25.2% - 6 to7 130
  • 24.5% - 8 to 10 126
  • 7.2% - Over 11 37
  • 0.2% - Over 15 1
  • 25% - Just now... gee thanks Woot 129
515 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

PocketBrain

quality posts: 63 Private Messages PocketBrain

SANTA IS REAL!!!

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

ardubu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ardubu

Tomb of original Santa Claus discovered in Turkey

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr.
SDUT, 10/8/17

First the good news:
Whoever told you that Santa Claus was an impostor with a fake beard collecting a Christmastime check at the mall
or a lie cooked up by your parents to trick you into five measly minutes of quiet was, at minimum, misinformed.

The bad news: Santa Claus is definitely dead.

Archaeologists in southern Turkey say they have discovered the tomb of the original Santa Claus, also known as St. Nicholas,
beneath his namesake church near the Mediterranean Sea.

Saint Nicholas of Myra (now Demre) was known for his anonymous gift-giving and generosity.
People believed he’d put coins in the shoes of anyone who left them out for him on his feast day, Dec. 6.

As the story goes, he was a monk who gave away his hefty inheritance and instead chose to help the poor and the sick.
He’s also a patron saint of sailors and was, of course, especially fond of children.

(There’s one slightly bizarre story, more Halloween than Christmas, of St. Nicholas saving three children
who had been “lured into the clutches of an evil butcher.”)

He was so popular, according to History.com, that he survived the Protestant Reformation,
“when the veneration of saints began to be discouraged.”
It wasn’t until the 16th century that St. Nicholas began to take on his modern, candy-cane hued form in images and imaginations.
In Europe, he became known as Father Christmas.
He migrated to the Americas with the Dutch, who called him “Sinterklass” and
gathered every year on the anniversary of his death.

He started making appearances in stores in the 1840s, according to History.com.
The writer Clement Clarke cemented the American image of Santa Claus with his poem “A Visit from St. Nicholas,”
which begins with the words “ ‘Twas the night before Christmas.”

Now, Santa is all but entrenched in the Christmas lexicon, the rosy-cheeked face of Christmas who is the subject of movies,
perennial parental lies and debates about childhood materialism.

Wootson writes for The Washington Post.

Ah, the hell with it.

Cheatara45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cheatara45

About 4...I then promptly told every single kid in my mom's daycare, and all the kids on the bus, and all the kids in class...

For my kids, our oldest was never willing to believe in santa, but was absolutely willing to believe in fairies. lol My 13 year old was probably 8ish, our 10 year old was also 8ish, our 8 year old still believes as of right now.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 18 Private Messages benjaminleebates

We did not have much when I was little. So I think 4 or 5. But then tried to take it back a few years later when our financial situation got a little better.
I love Christmas, the idea, the time of year, everything. I think my parents had to behave a little better around Christmas, my relatives would have heard otherwise during holiday visits.
I got Chicken Pox for Christmas one year! Woke up Christmas morning with it. So much for lumps of coal.

You can find my shirts for sale HERE or THERE!

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 45 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I had a sudden obvious realization when I was ten. I am hoping my child figures it out before then but I think his wish for something magical to be real is overriding his common sense still at 9.