Back to Amazon.com

WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Derby #636: Portmanteaus!

What's a portmanteau, you ask? Let me explaborate (explain+elaborate)! It's the fusination (fuse+combination) of two words into one. Like motel (motor + hotel), and brunch (breakfast + lunch). Submentries (submit+entries) can be graphistrated (graphic+illustrated), textographical (text+typographical), or both. But avoiding cream designs is still requitory (required+mandatory).

AND PLEASE: EMAIL US YOUR ART FILE AT THE TIME YOU ENTER THE DERBY. THANK YOU!

HEY YOU! Yes you. Don't forget to email us your art file right after you submit your entry! $$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!! 

This Derby ends NEXT THURSDAY at noon. The 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place designs will be featured Friday - Sunday. Select designs will also be included in a sale that starts after the Weekend of Winners.

Next week's Derby preview: From The OTHER SIDE - Grass can be greener. Tables can turn. Mirrors reflect. UP has Down. Right has Left. Apples and oranges. Red and blue. Equal actions and opposite reactions. Next week’s derby should encompass art or thoughts or perspectives from the OTHER side.​​​

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 19 Private Messages benjaminleebates

How about we use this thread to talk about the next derby ideas!?
1. Create a brand new season!
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and BLANK. Season number 5. Imagine some cool nature stuff that happens during this new season!
2. New technology. Since all your Christmas Goodies have been delivered, think about some new technology that should be under the tree next year...
3. Food vs Exercise. Both or either. Thinking about resolutions, many people choose to reduce food or increase exercise, or both. Lets mash them up.
4. Mythological Cuisine. Imagine food that you would find in a mythological land. It could be food made by, or made of, your favorite legendary beings!

You can find my shirts for sale HERE or THERE!

Narfcake

quality posts: 396 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benjaminleebates wrote:How about we use this thread to talk about the next derby ideas!?

- January 13 is National Rubber Ducky Day, so that could be a theme.
- January 21 is National Hugging Day, so perhaps a heartfelt derby that shows care and respect for one another. Exclude "free hugs" signs, though ... there's plenty of those types already.
- February 20 is Love Your Pet Day. Granted, this should be everyday anyway, but how's about reflecting all of the positives versus "my hamster tried to kill me again" or something.
- The Hallmark Holiday? The Big Game?

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

acraigl

quality posts: 232 Private Messages acraigl

Can "The Other Side" derby next week NOT have any Stranger Things references? It would be nice to get some more originality based on the theme.

VOTE >

mcobutte

quality posts: 20 Private Messages mcobutte

Other side will probably have the empire as the rebels, Hillary as the crazy tweeter,and the climate cooling. Derby suggestion, christmas in summer for our southern hemisphere wooters, or illustrate jokes(but not chicken road crossovers please).

Bohsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bohsky
acraigl wrote:Can "The Other Side" derby next week NOT have any Stranger Things references? It would be nice to get some more originality based on the theme.

Actually, it could be really great if it was one of the rules

caityjean

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caityjean
Bohsky wrote:Actually, it could be really great if it was one of the rules

Yes, and no cats. I love cats - don't get me wrong - but there are already 771 cat shirts on Woot and they dominate the fog every derby which keeps the original thought designs down low. Maybe we should all cool it with the feline + theme designs for a bit?

I always assumed derbies were determined by whatever search terms they might be getting a lot of in their catalog search. Or maybe where they feel they need to freshen up popular categories. Like, maybe they see a lot of people search for hippo shirts but there isn't enough variety so they have a hippo themed derby. Its all about merchandising, after all. This is first and foremost a business so I assume what they ask for is based on some kind of analytics or to fill a specific need somehow. Maybe it really is random though.

MrBignell

quality posts: 21 Private Messages MrBignell

You're asking for a paradox, CATyjean (no offense intended. I just can't let a cat pun go unsaid). The reason cat shirts dominate, is because they are so heavily merchandised and searched. You can't have the egg without the chicken. On that note, go vote for Procrastinap! (the cat is relevant if it's just a cat nap)

Other theme ideas (if they haven't been done before)
Paradoxes
High school heroes
Childhood letdowns (things that don't live up to your memories)
Message in a bottle. Or a time machine that can go back and teach your youthful self.

Ps. I love that y'all high jacked the discussion to focus on next week's derby. Maybe Woot bot could feature 2 discussion boards (one for this, one for next)? I usually want to discuss next week's theme.

caityjean wrote:Yes, and no cats. I love cats - don't get me wrong - but there are already 771 cat shirts on Woot and they dominate the fog every derby which keeps the original thought designs down low. Maybe we should all cool it with the feline + theme designs for a bit?

I always assumed derbies were determined by whatever search terms they might be getting a lot of in their catalog search. Or maybe where they feel they need to freshen up popular categories. Like, maybe they see a lot of people search for hippo shirts but there isn't enough variety so they have a hippo themed derby. Its all about merchandising, after all. This is first and foremost a business so I assume what they ask for is based on some kind of analytics or to fill a specific need somehow. Maybe it really is random though.

acraigl

MrBignell wrote:You're asking for a paradox, CATyjean. The reason cat shirts dominate, is because they are so heavily merchandised and searched. You can't have the egg without the chicken. On that note, go vote for Procrastinap! (the cat is relevant if it's just a cat nap)

Other theme ideas (if they haven't been done before)
Paradoxes
High school heroes
Childhood letdowns (things that don't live up to your memories)
Message in a bottle. Or a time machine that can go back and teach your youthful self.

Ps. I love that y'all high jacked the discussion to focus on next week's derby. Maybe Woot bot could feature 2 discussion boards (one for this, one for next)? I usually want to discuss next week's theme.

They used to have 2 all the time, but it got a little confusing on what to post where. So they collapsed it to one. They put it back in this time as the derby was incorrectly named when it launched today.

VOTE >

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

MrBignell wrote:... The reason cat shirts dominate, is because they are so heavily merchandised and searched. ...

I feel the bigger reason is that they're easily relatable. Cute? Coy? Cunning? Caring? Creative? Catastrophic? It's easy to fit a cat in any of those situations and many more.

A poll here had 52% cat ownership too.

In spite of that, catshirts don't dominate and don't win every time. That has kept the numbers reasonable.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

benjaminleebates

There are a lot of good ideas here. While I agree with the cats, star wars, and other over used themes; I do understand that they sell what people buy.
It's odd, because even tho people vote and cats seems to win often (or at least fog) they don't seem to last very long in the top 20. Right now there is only .5 cats in the top 20. There are 5 star wars. So if you are going to be critical of over used subjects pick on star wars! lol
I get more annoyed that really great art does not get printed more frequently. Maybe they do not work as shirts. It's like great art only prints (sells) if it is a direct riff on pop culture.

acraigl

benjaminleebates wrote:There are a lot of good ideas here. While I agree with the cats, star wars, and other over used themes; I do understand that they sell what people buy.
It's odd, because even tho people vote and cats seems to win often (or at least fog) they don't seem to last very long in the top 20. Right now there is only .5 cats in the top 20. There are 5 star wars. So if you are going to be critical of over used subjects pick on star wars! lol
I get more annoyed that really great art does not get printed more frequently. Maybe they do not work as shirts. It's like great art only prints (sells) if it is a direct riff on pop culture.

Funny that you bring this up. While I can appreciate and admire some of the great artwork that shows up here, I do often think, "amazing art, not a great shirt". I still firmly believe simplicity and humor wins the day, but that's much easier to say than to do -- I would have a lot more wins if it were that easy.

VOTE >

benjaminleebates

acraigl wrote:Funny that you bring this up. While I can appreciate and admire some of the great artwork that shows up here, I do often think, "amazing art, not a great shirt". I still firmly believe simplicity and humor wins the day, but that's much easier to say than to do -- I would have a lot more wins if it were that easy.

I think simplicity can be more difficult than complexity. That is not to say we all pull this off. Sometimes the concept is so funny/different that the art is virtually irrelevant.
The funny bone does not reside in the same place all the time.

MrBignell

benjaminleebates wrote:
The funny bone does not reside in the same place all the time.

Amen to that. I never know who's going To come out on top because I have a weird sense of humour.

benjaminleebates

MrBignell wrote:Amen to that. I never know who's going To come out on top because I have a weird sense of humour.

I struggle with ideas that I think are funny, and might be, but I just can't make the joke. A shirt is often like the punch line and the viewer needs to put together the joke in order to make it clever. If the joke is too difficult too discern the viewer can be insulted. "Now how the hell would anyone get that" But you also don't want it so obvious that it could be found in the kids section at wal-mart. If the viewer gets to work just a little bit, they get to feel clever. Like a free self-esteem cookie!

caityjean

acraigl wrote:Funny that you bring this up. While I can appreciate and admire some of the great artwork that shows up here, I do often think, "amazing art, not a great shirt". I still firmly believe simplicity and humor wins the day, but that's much easier to say than to do -- I would have a lot more wins if it were that easy.

I agree with this. Sometimes something is super funny or has a lot of artistic merit but its not something people want to wear. It needs to make sense outside of the derby and be something an average adult would wear. I think people forget they're designing garments sometimes.

caityjean

benjaminleebates wrote:There are a lot of good ideas here. While I agree with the cats, star wars, and other over used themes; I do understand that they sell what people buy.

I agree that Star Wars is probably the most popular overall. Its popular with all generations and both genders so the audience is much larger. I feel like there are a lot of things to do with Star Wars and ways to reinvent it with new twists so I can see why it'd be so prevalent. I think cat shirts are fine as long as they have a purpose. As much as I love cats I wouldn't probably wear a cat shirt unless it had a specific joke or theme to make it unique. I appreciate shirts with a clever usage of the theme and am disappointed when the low hanging fruit is voted for over something more original.

caityjean

benjaminleebates wrote:I struggle with ideas that I think are funny, and might be, but I just can't make the joke. A shirt is often like the punch line and the viewer needs to put together the joke in order to make it clever. If the joke is too difficult too discern the viewer can be insulted. "Now how the hell would anyone get that" But you also don't want it so obvious that it could be found in the kids section at wal-mart. If the viewer gets to work just a little bit, they get to feel clever. Like a free self-esteem cookie!

Self-esteem cookies are the best!

benjaminleebates

closest i could find.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

caityjean wrote:... I think people forget they're designing garments sometimes.

This.

I have a good share of artistic shirts that I wear because I like them -- but other folks rarely "notice" them. Why? It takes time to see the details. It takes time to read them. It takes time to comprehend.

The "I can understand that in a second" designs? Folks notice those -- and it's a reason why such common design types and elements can do well over and over again while others are less noticed and voted for.

grayehound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound
Narfcake wrote:This.

I have a good share of artistic shirts that I wear because I like them -- but other folks rarely "notice" them. Why? It takes time to see the details. It takes time to read them. It takes time to comprehend.

The "I can understand that in a second" designs? Folks notice those -- and it's a reason why such common design types and elements can do well over and over again while others are less noticed and voted for.

Wow, I'm really glad you guys are having this conversation on here. It's not easy being funny with a quick visual, I don't know how some of the designers on here do it. I have yet to figure out the right mix of doing art in my own style with what appeals to the woot community. That and getting a design in on time...it see,s if you can't get it in by Friday, don't bother unless the idea is absolutely spectacular.

I think one of my problems is I don't like to do pop culture references, and that puts me a few laps behind here. What do you guys think?

acraigl

grayehound wrote:Wow, I'm really glad you guys are having this conversation on here. It's not easy being funny with a quick visual, I don't know how some of the designers on here do it. I have yet to figure out the right mix of doing art in my own style with what appeals to the woot community. That and getting a design in on time...it see,s if you can't get it in by Friday, don't bother unless the idea is absolutely spectacular.

I think one of my problems is I don't like to do pop culture references, and that puts me a few laps behind here. What do you guys think?

Getting the design in early is definitely a key aspect. Having a full-time job, I basically only have time to design on weekends, and that's around other responsibilities. If I can't do then, I basically just miss the derby.

Pop culture isn't the end-all and be-all of woot shirts. Sarcasm, laziness, and cats certainly make up a large share as well. Based on your last entry (which is freaking amazing BTW), all you need to do is figure out how to get it in earlier. And if you can't, just focus on subbing dailies, rather than entering the derby.

I have yet to figure out the right mix of doing art in my own style with what appeals to the woot community.

You and everyone else.

VOTE >

MrBignell

grayehound wrote:

I am in this boat with you and Andy. Full-time jobs, kids, it's hard to whip out a design in a week. To have it simple relatable and all the things that have been listed above. I haven't seen a single episode of stranger things, and don't follow superhero movies. Basically every other day I am googling a topic to make sense of the shirt. I did see Star Wars
two weeks after everyone else , so a lot of those references are picked over . I guess that's why I stick to puns and cats. They're what I know, and they're what I wear.

However, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. No one is twisting anyone's arm to design a shirt. It's a labor of love. And when i do click with a derby theme, I find I stay up all night brainstorming and can't shut my brain off.