benjaminleebates

quality posts: 18 Private Messages benjaminleebates

So, serious sports shirts. Out of the comfort zone for many of us. Maybe we can get some great art from some hidden gems this week!

You can find my shirts for sale HERE or THERE!

benjaminleebates

I'm struggling here. Real sports fans do not want generic shirts. Humor, parody, spoof, clever works on a generic level; But if you are going to wear a sports theme shirt, it’s all about showing your support for a given team! Right?

benjaminleebates

Helmets Matter?
Stand for the flag?
An Eagle carrying a football?

caityjean

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caityjean

I think this will be a cool derby if people can follow the rules. I recall they wanted serious motivational workout shirts a few derbies back and people made it all jokes which was unfortunate. It would be cool if they allowed customers to select a shirt color for their chosen design when winners and editor's choice are published so they can pick their team's color. As long as the shirt color didn't act as the 7th design color that is.

Vote! → Buy! →
View My Catalog!

benjaminleebates

caityjean wrote:I think this will be a cool derby if people can follow the rules. I recall they wanted serious motivational workout shirts a few derbies back and people made it all jokes which was unfortunate. It would be cool if they allowed customers to select a shirt color for their chosen design when winners and editor's choice are published so they can pick their team's color. As long as the shirt color didn't act as the 7th design color that is.

The color comment is more difficult than you think. When I design a shirt, certain colors could be swapped, but some colors with completely destroy the design. So then you would need to design it with a slightly different color palette based on color choice.

I do agree that people should follow rules. I hope the rejection button works next week.

Bohsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bohsky
benjaminleebates wrote:So, serious sports shirts. Out of the comfort zone for many of us. Maybe we can get some great art from some hidden gems this week!

I have never tried (okay, let's say "almost never tried", have one sports themed design), but always wanted to design those witty, punny sports t-shirts. And now I thought: here is the chance... but it's not

Bohsky

benjaminleebates wrote:I'm struggling here. Real sports fans do not want generic shirts. Humor, parody, spoof, clever works on a generic level; But if you are going to wear a sports theme shirt, it’s all about showing your support for a given team! Right?

Among all the last derbies I entered this one is definitely a challenge for me. In previous derbies I've got several ideas almost immediately and some more from thinking a little bit longer. Now I have no idea what sports nuts want to wear, but I like it)

benjaminleebates

Bohsky wrote:Among all the last derbies I entered this one is definitely a challenge for me. In previous derbies I've got several ideas almost immediately and some more from thinking a little bit longer. Now I have no idea what sports nuts want to wear, but I like it)

I'm thinking the winners will not be big sellers for woot. Maybe even low votes.

Narfcake

quality posts: 394 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benjaminleebates wrote:I'm struggling here. Real sports fans do not want generic shirts. Humor, parody, spoof, clever works on a generic level; But if you are going to wear a sports theme shirt, it’s all about showing your support for a given team! Right?

I'm getting the same feeling from the theme preview also. I'm mentally prepared to skip voting for anything already.

Hopefully it won't be the case, though.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

acraigl

quality posts: 225 Private Messages acraigl

I think I can get there -- at least a design that is non-jokey. I think leaning towards artsy or cool might skirt some of the single-team biases.

VOTE >

benjaminleebates

Is there any way to use the word Olympics without getting rejected?

Olympus? Olympic (single)? Olympian?

I mean how can the copyright a term that has a historical component? I guess I could see the argument, the word apple is OK to use if not referring to a computer...

Are there any words that could be used to refer olympic events without using bannable phrasing?

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 61 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Be careful with colors. Pro and college team colors are trademarked. If you make a football shirt with Philadelphia Eagles colors, expect to hear from them.

Not really sure what to do for a serious sports design since sports aren't super popular around here.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Be careful with colors. Pro and college team colors are trademarked. If you make a football shirt with Philadelphia Eagles colors, expect to hear from them.

Not really sure what to do for a serious sports design since sports aren't super popular around here.

Yep. A quick search on Google resulted in this article:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/12/01/trademark

Beyond that, certain other colors and color schemes are trademarked also:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/colors-that-are-trademarked-2012-9

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

caityjean

acraigl wrote:I think I can get there -- at least a design that is non-jokey. I think leaning towards artsy or cool might skirt some of the single-team biases.

I agree. I'm interpreting it as asking for pro-sports messages and not ironic type shirts. The tone should be more about sports as a positive thing and not like mocking sports or enthusiasts. Like, no designs that make eating pizza into a sport or something nonsensical like that. I'm thinking more motivational or maybe even something an athlete might wear while training.

Vote! → Buy! →
View My Catalog!

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry
Narfcake wrote:I'm getting the same feeling from the theme preview also. I'm mentally prepared to skip voting for anything already.

Hopefully it won't be the case, though.

With a possible low overall vote total, think of how important your votes are. I would say to be mentally prepared to vote for as few as only one design.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

jupilberry wrote:With a possible low overall vote total, think of how important your votes are. I would say to be mentally prepared to vote for as few as only one design.

Generally, I only vote for what I would actually want to buy, so I don't vote very aggressively as it is. And contrary to potential belief, catshirts do NOT automatically get votes.

acraigl

Narfcake wrote:Yep. A quick search on Google resulted in this article:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/12/01/trademark

Beyond that, certain other colors and color schemes are trademarked also:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/colors-that-are-trademarked-2012-9

I got a design going I'm pretty happy with, but now a little concerned about possible infringement. It is obviously NOT the original, nor does it use the the same shade of colors. In addition, I've added elements to it to further reduce confusion.

I want some similarity though, to keep the connection... hmmm.

VOTE >

acraigl

Feels like the rules are being skirted a bit. I shouldn't be surprised, but looking at some entries, "Sports mega fans" wouldn't wear them, IMO. A few are outright jokey. Oh well. We'll see what the rejectionator does or doesn't do this week.

VOTE >

caityjean

acraigl wrote:Feels like the rules are being skirted a bit. I shouldn't be surprised, but looking at some entries, "Sports mega fans" wouldn't wear them, IMO. A few are outright jokey. Oh well. We'll see what the rejectionator does or doesn't do this week.

I noticed that too. This one was challenging to me since I'm not a sports person which is showing with my low votes. Hard to stay generic and serious but make it wearable. Realistically though wouldn't a superfan buy an actual jersey over a non-specific generic sports shirt? I guess I'm the wrong person to forecast sales on this one. I wonder of the rejectionator would ever be bold enough to reject shirts with lots of votes if it doesn't fit the theme or actively does what the brief said not to do.

Vote! → Buy! →
View My Catalog!

Bohsky

caityjean wrote:
I wonder of the rejectionator would ever be bold enough to reject shirts with lots of votes if it doesn't fit the theme or actively does what the brief said not to do.

Don't want to be that person, but it looks like almost all designs in the fog do not match the requirements of the derby. But maybe it's all about "should avoid" formulation in the rules, so it's not like it's absolutely forbidden. It's like "you should avoid it, but if you really want - you can do it"

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Bohsky wrote:Don't want to be that person, but it looks like almost all designs in the fog do not match the requirements of the derby. But maybe it's all about "should avoid" formulation in the rules, so it's not like it's absolutely forbidden. It's like "you should avoid it, but if you really want - you can do it"

"Eventually you reach the point where you don't even read the Derby theme before you submit stuff."
-- llandar on a @ramyb design for Derby #248 HMs.

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry
Bohsky wrote:... it's all about "should avoid" formulation in the rules, so it's not like it's absolutely forbidden.

Lawyered!