Back to Amazon.com

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry

Many times when I come up with a derby entry I think "this has to exist elsewhere." I am always pleasantly surprised when I find that it doesn't. Most of the time there are multiple, very similar shirt designs already available and I figure the world certainly does not need another one. I see others do not necessarily feel the same and I have a feeling that this derby will have a lot of rehashing of existing designs/concepts.

lunchboxbrain

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lunchboxbrain
jupilberry wrote:Many times when I come up with a derby entry I think "this has to exist elsewhere." I am always pleasantly surprised when I find that it doesn't. Most of the time there are multiple, very similar shirt designs already available and I figure the world certainly does not need another one. I see others do not necessarily feel the same and I have a feeling that this derby will have a lot of rehashing of existing designs/concepts.

I'm biased but I think this one is pretty solid

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry

Yes, very solid. That is why there are so many variations already available. Yours is a different take, though, without spelling out the joke on the shirt.https://www.zazzle.com/fowl+language+tshirts

acraigl

quality posts: 230 Private Messages acraigl

I chose to do a little of each. I came up with (I hope) 2 original jokes with illustrations to match (8-ball and Sriracha-cha) and then found 2 "dad" jokes and tried to do a little more with them/put a new spin on them to make them more interesting than what I saw out there already.

In the latter case, I feel like this is like a new car. Does kinda the same thing but has more bells and whistles, and maybe more efficient?

I guess my point is as long as the execution is original, using an existing good (or bad) joke is OK, but it needs to be differentiated enough from what else might be out there to be acceptable (IMO).

kg07

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kg07
jupilberry wrote:Many times when I come up with a derby entry I think "this has to exist elsewhere." I am always pleasantly surprised when I find that it doesn't. Most of the time there are multiple, very similar shirt designs already available and I figure the world certainly does not need another one. I see others do not necessarily feel the same and I have a feeling that this derby will have a lot of rehashing of existing designs/concepts.

I think this is to be expected. It almost stopped me from submitting anything to the derby, but what the heck. We cannot blame the artists; as long as woot does not reject stuff that is just a rehash of what is already for sale elsewhere, they should continue submitting. On the other hand, if you can do a significantly better job at representing an existing idea, maybe that is good enough. This type of derby topic invites this type of copy-cat design, but wait a week and we will again get some original designs.

MrBignell

quality posts: 21 Private Messages MrBignell

I try to research before designing. I don't want to waste my time on something that already exists. I found myself drawn to "what's brown and sticky?", but it's been done. Hence I went to my wheel house w Dad Jokes.

I think voters do the sifting for us too. They don't like seeing rehashes either.