Derby #32: Line Art
+558

grow

add a comment

Comments

mwm8180


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm8180
Re: grow


this is a change from my usual style and themes. I wanted to try something new for this derby. I think the end result is simple and clean.

comments and Crit welcome, and of coarse votes are always welcome too ^_^


DuctTapeHippie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DuctTapeHippie
Re: grow


I really like this design, and the color scheme. I'm glad the lines ended in a way that contained the design, but didn't make it feel cut off or limited.

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
Re: grow


Simple and gorgeous. Would make a very nice t-shirt.

Ashleyrah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ashleyrah

This is very clean - one of the best entries IMHO

mwm8180


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm8180
DuctTapeHippie wrote:I really like this design, and the color scheme. I'm glad the lines ended in a way that contained the design, but didn't make it feel cut off or limited.



bryozoan wrote:Simple and gorgeous. Would make a very nice t-shirt.



Ashleyrah wrote:This is very clean - one of the best entries IMHO


thanks everyone.... if it doesn't win, i think im going to use it as my new logo. hehehe


Shigwarm


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
Re: grow


Simple, yet beautiful. Nice work.

dekonstruct


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: grow


It really grows on me *slaps knee*

whitstheatre11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whitstheatre11

please let this one win..i really want to buy this one!!!

imthej


quality posts: 0 Private Messages imthej
Re: grow


excellent. The ONLY one i'd buy

origamimavin


quality posts: 1 Private Messages origamimavin
Re: grow


i like the simple awesomeness of it.

KENPARS0NS


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
Re: grow


Got my vote!

bethebike


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethebike

I want this shirt...VOTE!

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: grow


Very Simple...and wearable!


Beefcoat


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat
Re: grow


I think this is my favorite design this derby. As stated by others above, its very simple, but it is very beautiful. I enjoy the colors as well. Awesome job. Got my vote.

herman16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages herman16
Re: grow


Great color scheme - not enough shirts with that beautiful standout green ink.

veritasinvictus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages veritasinvictus

Perfect shirt simple yet elegant, you got my vote...

Shirt# 250,000

chodax


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chodax
Re: grow


in for one

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: grow


This looks very much like something I would find in Microsoft Word's clip-art gallery, and less like a shirt design.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bluchez wrote:This looks very much like something I would find in Microsoft Word's clip-art gallery, and less like a shirt design.


That's giving it a lot of credit.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
AdderXYU wrote:I'm not sure who decided to delete my last comment on the matter, but I find that makes this entry doubly sad.

The fact of the matter is, and I'm looking directly at the rejector here, this is a terrible design. There is nothing redeeming about it. It's not a new concept... we have a "grow" shirt already in the ranks of the unreckoned, and it's done brilliantly. We don't need this poor attempt at a tattoo to join it. Moreover, look at the sheer quality of so many of the efforts this week, the sheer effort, the inspiration, and then honestly tell me this is worthy. Honestly tell me a handful of vague strokes is more artistic and wearable than anything else here.

Woot staff, we all know you're reading... how do you really feel a design like this winning a derby theme like this will effect your chances of improving derby quality? How many new, good designers will come around after seeing THIS win THIS derby? How many old designers will stick around? How many will put in effort? If you're able to arbitrarily reject a good design for using stale subject matter without any warning, but you're not willing to do the same for a design with no strengths, the exact sort of design that drives good designers to use that stale subject matter you deleted without warning, then what do you really expect the derby to become?



so wait...you're saying you don't like it?

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
AdderXYU wrote:I'm not sure who decided to delete my last comment on the matter, but I find that makes this entry doubly sad.

The fact of the matter is, and I'm looking directly at the rejector here, this is a terrible design. There is nothing redeeming about it. It's not a new concept... we have a "grow" shirt already in the ranks of the unreckoned, and it's done brilliantly. We don't need this poor attempt at a tattoo to join it. Moreover, look at the sheer quality of so many of the efforts this week, the sheer effort, the inspiration, and then honestly tell me this is worthy. Honestly tell me a handful of vague strokes is more artistic and wearable than anything else here.

Woot staff, we all know you're reading... how do you really feel a design like this winning a derby theme like this will effect your chances of improving derby quality? How many new, good designers will come around after seeing THIS win THIS derby? How many old designers will stick around? How many will put in effort? If you're able to arbitrarily reject a good design for using stale subject matter without any warning, but you're not willing to do the same for a design with no strengths, the exact sort of design that drives good designers to use that stale subject matter you deleted without warning, then what do you really expect the derby to become?

Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday. If winners were only decided by the skill of the designer or the wow factor of the illustration, then I may as well pack it up and not try here. I know you may not care if I submit or leave, but I like to think that designs of all kinds and style help keep these derbys alive.
These designs are the "AC/DC" designs for me in that they are always picked on for being simple and "anyone could have wrote that"...but, people love them.
-Andy



geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: grow


This is probably one of the most interesting fog contenders I've seen in the derby, mainly because I don't fully understand what the voters are seeing. I mean no disrespect when I say that, it's honest curiosity.

I tend to really like simplicity, but for me the lines in this one don't feel resolved. The variation of line isn't smooth in places, and the curves aren't true. The placement also feels lacking, too- the height on the shirt is unlikely to look attractive on most wearers, and the width feels arbitrary (nip to nip? why?).

Again, no disrespect towards the artist- Clockwork Beetle is one of the best shirts I've seen in the derby. I'm just kind of bummed that out of all this guy's great work, his weakest entry is the one that's getting votes. Kinda frustrating :/

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Andy47240 wrote:Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday. If winners were only decided by the skill of the designer or the wow factor of the illustration, then I may as well pack it up and not try here. I know you may not care if I submit or leave, but I like to think that designs of all kinds and style help keep these derbys alive.
These designs are the "AC/DC" designs for me in that they are always picked on for being simple and "anyone could have wrote that"...but, people love them.
-Andy


I am all for the amateur part of this contest. I am nothing if not an amateur. However, if you can bring neither art nor concept to a piece, you've entered nothing but lines. Amateurs have done some great work... SkekTek, for example, has been giving us his best for four derbies in a row now. However, I feel effort and quality should win out. I don't care about complexity or professionalism if there's effort and concept and a feeling that someone said "yes, this is my vision". I can't possibly feel this here. To me, designs like this don't inspire amateurs to enter... they inspire entrants to be at their most amateur

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Andy47240 wrote:Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday. If winners were only decided by the skill of the designer or the wow factor of the illustration, then I may as well pack it up and not try here. I know you may not care if I submit or leave, but I like to think that designs of all kinds and style help keep these derbys alive.
These designs are the "AC/DC" designs for me in that they are always picked on for being simple and "anyone could have wrote that"...but, people love them.
-Andy

You know, I am by no means going to say I am any more skillful than any of the submitters here. Because if you look at what I started out with, since Derby #1 and now, I have vastly improved over the course of {almost a year} because I liked to do this as a hobby {print design} and wanted to get better. I'd like to owe my printed shirts thus far to the fact that I put effort into my stuff, not because I struck gold on some concept that everyone loves. I code and design user interfaces, and consult for a living. I'm not an illustrator, though I do love drawing in my free time.

I started in the derby as my first go in print design, and I love so much to where I'm spending a lot of time now doing entries, because it gives me some freedom from the corporate work I have to do for money. To say what you said makes me depressed {the I may as well pack it up and not try here part}, because I really hope i'm not, or anyone is winning simply because they can draw well - and it goes the same way with I hope people are not winning simply because they equate simple with being wearable.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Andy47240 wrote:Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday. If winners were only decided by the skill of the designer or the wow factor of the illustration, then I may as well pack it up and not try here. I know you may not care if I submit or leave, but I like to think that designs of all kinds and style help keep these derbys alive.
These designs are the "AC/DC" designs for me in that they are always picked on for being simple and "anyone could have wrote that"...but, people love them.
-Andy


Call me crazy, but i'd rather be able to compete because I improved, not because everything around me got worse.

erinlein


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
bluchez wrote:This looks very much like something I would find in Microsoft Word's clip-art gallery, and less like a shirt design.


yep... how irritating

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
jamescho84 wrote:You know, I am by no means going to say I am any more skillful than any of the submitters here. Because if you look at what I started out with, since Derby #1 and now, I have vastly improved over the course of {almost a year} because I liked to do this as a hobby {print design} and wanted to get better. I'd like to owe my printed shirts thus far to the fact that I put effort into my stuff, not because I struck gold on some concept that everyone loves. I code and design user interfaces, and consult for a living. I'm not an illustrator, though I do love drawing in my free time.

I started in the derby as my first go in print design, and I love so much to where I'm spending a lot of time now doing entries, because it gives me some freedom from the corporate work I have to do for money. To say what you said makes me depressed {the I may as well pack it up and not try here part}, because I really hope i'm not, or anyone is winning simply because they can draw well - and it goes the same way with I hope people are not winning simply because they equate simple with being wearable.


You are missing my point James. You know I love your work and I am not saying anything negative towards you or Jimiyo who is my second favorite artist here so I wish I would not have mentioned either one of you when I was making my point. But I am trying to defend the designs that irk everyone when they get lots of votes.
I know that you and Jimiyo put major effort in your work and I am not trying to say anything that suggest the opposite.
-Andy



Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
brizz wrote:Call me crazy, but i'd rather be able to compete because I improved, not because everything around me got worse.


That's not what I am saying, but o.k. I'll call you crazy.



brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Andy47240 wrote:That's not what I am saying, but o.k. I'll call you crazy.


That's exactly what you said: Seeing simplistic five minute designs win gives you hope that you might be able to come up with something crappy that people will like and vote for because you aren't skilled enough to do more complex design. Well, as cho said, he wasn't either a year ago, but now look at him. Using something like Let It Grow as an inspiration is not suggestive of a desire to improve, but to figure out the easiest way to win.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
brizz wrote:That's exactly what you said: Seeing simplistic five minute designs win gives you hope that you might be able to come up with something crappy that people will like and vote for because you aren't skilled enough to do more complex design. Well, as cho said, he wasn't either a year ago, but now look at him. Using something like Let It Grow as an inspiration is not suggestive of a desire to improve, but to figure out the easiest way to win.


I did not say that.



jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
Andy47240 wrote:You are missing my point James. You know I love your work and I am not saying anything negative towards you or Jimiyo who is my second favorite artist here so I wish I would not have mentioned either one of you when I was making my point. But I am trying to defend the designs that irk everyone when they get lots of votes.
I know that you and Jimiyo put major effort in your work and I am not trying to say anything that suggest the opposite.
-Andy


Andy, truly, it was just my soapbox. Your comment wasnt taken as negative, just a way for me to twist your words into me starting off on my rant.

;j

I appreciate your confidence in me.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Andy47240 wrote:I did not say that.


yes you did:

Andy47240 wrote:Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday. If winners were only decided by the skill of the designer or the wow factor of the illustration, then I may as well pack it up and not try here.
-Andy


but since you see something that took five minutes in the fog you are now inspired? Because anyone can do it? Because talent isn't required to win?

That is what you are saying.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
brizz wrote:but since you see something that took five minutes in the fog you are now inspired? Because anyone can do it? Because talent isn't required to win?

That is what you are saying.

Learn to read Brizz. "Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday".
At no point did i say anything about it being a crappy design or taking no time. I like the design, but it was being picked on for being too simple. I like simple and I create simple.
Do not tell me what I said.
-Andy



brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Andy47240 wrote:Learn to read Brizz. "Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday".
At no point did i say anything about it being a crappy design or taking no time. I like the design, but it was being picked on for being too simple. I like simple and I create simple.
Do not tell me what I said.
-Andy


I know how to read. Good simple designs quite often take far more talent than complex ones because they require an excellent concept to work. I guarantee Let it Grow took less than 10 minutes. look at the hotness now....I see a lot of similar ones now....are they all inspirational too? They are certainly simple. If simple is your goal, by all means have at it. But don't pretend it's not an approach driven by a desire to win over one to do good work.

fablefire


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
brizz wrote:I know how to read. Good simple designs quite often take far more talent than complex ones because they require an excellent concept to work. I guarantee Let it Grow took less than 10 minutes. look at the hotness now....I see a lot of similar ones now....are they all inspirational too? They are certainly simple. If simple is your goal, by all means have at it. But don't pretend it's not an approach driven by a desire to win over one to do good work.


Actually, you'd have to be insane to submit thing piece, and expect it to fog. If I was being a design whore this week, I would definitely not submit this, or those flowery things out of a desire to win. This is totally a surprise.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
fablefire wrote:Actually, you'd have to be insane to submit thing piece, and expect it to fog. If I was being a design whore this week, I would definitely not submit this, or those flowery things out of a desire to win. This is totally a surprise.


I wish I could agree, but week after week, I pick the worst design in the top 20, and it almost always closes in on, if not makes it into, the fog. Grow was my fog contender since the start. It's simple, has no concept, has no effort, but doesn't challenge the eyes or mind. I knew it'd fog. That's what woot likes as a community, and apparently woot as a business would rather be known for not having any quality control than for being a respectable shirt printer. It's an insult to the amateurs who are above that, and an insult to the designers who have to compete in a market that doesn't appreciate them.

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
Re: grow


I agree with Andy in that a simple design can be wonderful and I think the attention to detail in a simple concept is very well constructed in this piece. The delicate nature of the emerging plant and the lines tapering off to show growth imagery is beautifully demonstrated.

Based on the fact of having an overall impact and not a distracting feature, I am sure that this piece took a few hours of adjustment and balancing the various lines.

Recall line art is not defined as simply "outlines" but using only lines to give impact. This gets tougher the less lines you draw, as one can potentially lose the emotion of an object, lost in the outline of the factual shape..

I continue to be a huge fan of this delicate piece.

peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
Re: grow




would someone please explain to me why a feminine design that will look dreadfull on the feminine anatomy is garnering so many votes? i mean if you LIKE the design it's ok but you are supposed to vote for something you would WEAR. people with bewbies cant wear this, and what guy would? i dont get it.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bryozoan wrote:I agree with Andy in that a simple design can be wonderful and I think the attention to detail in a simple concept is very well constructed in this piece. The delicate nature of the emerging plant and the lines tapering off to show growth imagery is beautifully demonstrated.

Based on the fact of having an overall impact and not a distracting feature, I am sure that this piece took a few hours of adjustment and balancing the various lines.

Recall line art is not defined as simply "outlines" but using only lines to give impact. This gets tougher the less lines you draw, as one can potentially lose the emotion of an object, lost in the outline of the factual shape..

I continue to be a huge fan of this delicate piece.


If you think this took over an hour, you're unrealistic. I'd say it took less than ten minutes, but I'll allow up to an hour "to perfect it".

and you disprove your own point. Line art isn't just "outlines". it's about using lines to give impact. This gives no impact, and is basically just an outline

whitstheatre11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whitstheatre11
peppersagooddog wrote:would someone please explain to me why a feminine design that will look dreadfull on the feminine anatomy is garnering so many votes? i mean if you LIKE the design it's ok but you are supposed to vote for something you would WEAR. people with bewbies cant wear this, and what guy would? i dont get it.



i have "bewbies" and I would wear this in a second...in fact this is the only one I would buy.

and why does it matter how much time was spent on it

i really wanted to buy a shirt with a simple design...

i want this shirt!!

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
AdderXYU wrote:If you think this took over an hour, you're unrealistic. I'd say it took less than ten minutes, but I'll allow up to an hour "to perfect it".

and you disprove your own point. Line art isn't just "outlines". it's about using lines to give impact. This gives no impact, and is basically just an outline


No, I think my point is quite clear. This took a few hours.

If you cannot see the impact, that is your perspective, and you are welcome to it. I disagree with you and very much appreciate the calm impact of this design.

Iambusyeating


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Re: grow


I don't particularly like this, but judging a design based on how much time or skill it must have taken is ridiculous. A design should only be judged based on how good it looks.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Iambusyeating wrote:I don't particularly like this, but judging a design based on how much time or skill it must have taken is ridiculous. A design should only be judged based on how good it looks.


Which is exactly why I'm judging this as bad. It's not bad because it's simple. It's bad and simple. I'm only harping on this taking a matter of minutes because it is sheer insanity for anyone to believe this took longer.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
bryozoan wrote:No, I think my point is quite clear. This took a few hours.

If you cannot see the impact, that is your perspective, and you are welcome to it. I disagree with you and very much appreciate the calm impact of this design.


How do you know how much time it took? Are you the artist using an alias?

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
snarkygal wrote:How do you know how much time it took? Are you the artist using an alias?


The same way you are so very sure that you know how long it took. Observation and artistic assessment.

I am so sorry you assume your opinion is so much more important then mine.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
bryozoan wrote:The same way you are so very sure that you know how long it took. Observation and artistic assessment.

I am so sorry you assume your opinion is so much more important then mine.


Excuse me? I didn't say a word about how look it took. Here we go again. Attributing things to me that I never said or attitudes I never took.

That was the first post on the subject I made. I didn't even say whether I liked it or didn't.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: grow

I know there are hateful comments in this thread, but do not be disheartened by those who don't appreciate this, or any other simple design there is. With that said, I hope you can look past some of these posts and continue submitting your work - there will always be those who both approve and disapprove.

I know I responded to a post under this thread, admittedly without knowing it was yours. I think this design had thought and time put into it, and I believe those who voted believe the same.

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
snarkygal wrote:Excuse me? I didn't say a word about how look it took.


My apologies. I misread the author of the comment, assuming it was the continuing conversation topic from another poster. Mea Culpa.

jamescho84 wrote:
I think this design had thought and time put into it, and I believe those who voted believe the same.


Beautifully said, my thoughts exactly.

mwm8180


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm8180
Re: grow


To Everyone,
I wanted to say thank you for fogging my design. as i originally posted, this design is a departure from my usual style, and to have it so well received is very encouraging.

I hope this shirt makes it for everyone who likes it and has supported it.


to Cho,

I wanted to thank you personally for your remark

jamescho84 wrote:I know there are hateful comments in this thread, but do not be disheartened by those who don't appreciate this, or any other simple design there is. With that said, I hope you can look past some of these posts and continue submitting your work - there will always be those who both approve and disapprove.

I know I responded to a post under this thread, admittedly without knowing it was yours. I think this design had thought and time put into it, and I believe those who voted believe the same.


its always wonderful to get support from someone w/ as many victory's under there belt as you do.

I wanted to respond to your personally, to let you know not to fear about me stopping posting designs. I use shirt.woot as a way to improve my own personal skills in a controlled environment. winning has never been a goal for me, but it sure does sweeten the pot. even if i don't, i love having a weekly challenge to push me creatively and technically.

Thanks again to everyone. may the best designs win.
-mwm8180


haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

Great design, mwm, and I admire your patience with the criticism. I'm all for simple, clean designs and hope you'll continue to experiment with this sort of thing.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: grow


Aside from my feelings for or against this design, I am not sure how it fits the derby theme. The theme is line art which does not mean are made of only lines. Rather, it is a type of art that uses lines to make the piece of art, in this case, a shirt, look more complicated. The lines would provide depth or shading or replace fills. This design, although elegant, is just lines shaped in something that can be pretty. I just don't understand how this design has fit the derby.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
kylemittskus wrote:Aside from my feelings for or against this design, I am not sure how it fits the derby theme. The theme is line art which does not mean are made of only lines. Rather, it is a type of art that uses lines to make the piece of art, in this case, a shirt, look more complicated. The lines would provide depth or shading or replace fills. This design, although elegant, is just lines shaped in something that can be pretty. I just don't understand how this design has fit the derby.


Wikipedia.com

"Line art is any image that consists of distinct straight and curved lines placed against a (usually plain) background, without gradations in shade (darkness) or hue (color) to represent two-dimensional or three-dimensional objects. Line art can use lines of different colors, although line art is usually monochromatic.

"Line art emphasizes form and outline, over color, shading, and texture. However, areas of solid pigment and dots can also be used in addition to lines. The lines in a piece of line art may be all of a constant width (as in some pencil drawings), of several (few) constant widths (as in technical illustrations), or of freely varying widths (as in brush work or engraving)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_art

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
peppersagooddog wrote:would someone please explain to me why a feminine design that will look dreadfull on the feminine anatomy is garnering so many votes? i mean if you LIKE the design it's ok but you are supposed to vote for something you would WEAR. people with bewbies cant wear this, and what guy would? i dont get it.


This is the most sensible comment I've seen about this shirt. My husband would never wear this and it would look ugly on me. Usually simple shirts fit one of our wants/needs, but this doesn't.



kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
bryozoan wrote:Wikipedia.com

"Line art is any image that consists of distinct straight and curved lines placed against a (usually plain) background, without gradations in shade (darkness) or hue (color) to represent two-dimensional or three-dimensional objects. Line art can use lines of different colors, although line art is usually monochromatic.

"Line art emphasizes form and outline, over color, shading, and texture. However, areas of solid pigment and dots can also be used in addition to lines. The lines in a piece of line art may be all of a constant width (as in some pencil drawings), of several (few) constant widths (as in technical illustrations), or of freely varying widths (as in brush work or engraving)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_art


I would die before I used wikipedia as a referential source. Look at photos of line art. Don't read what pundits think they know about it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

maplewood81


quality posts: 1 Private Messages maplewood81
Re: grow


I just love this design! "Concisely full" is the way I'd describe it. Consider it bought if it wins - my compliments to the artist.

The second thought that came to my mind is the position of the design. I thought, people will be bending down so as to look up to see what the rest of the design is on us gals. Is there a way to move the design up a smidge? Hmm, that might require a slightly smaller design. But it might be worth it in order to look decent on curves.

I saw that other people noticed the same thing - too bad there couldn't be a guy's and girl's version of the same shirt.

blazeSpec


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blazeSpec
Re: grow


thank you so much for not putting skulls or super complicated images. we need more relaxed art on woot

fablefire


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
AdderXYU wrote:I wish I could agree, but week after week, I pick the worst design in the top 20, and it almost always closes in on, if not makes it into, the fog. Grow was my fog contender since the start. It's simple, has no concept, has no effort, but doesn't challenge the eyes or mind. I knew it'd fog. That's what woot likes as a community, and apparently woot as a business would rather be known for not having any quality control than for being a respectable shirt printer. It's an insult to the amateurs who are above that, and an insult to the designers who have to compete in a market that doesn't appreciate them.


Really? Alright, you give me the simple quickie concept, I'll give you the quickie art, and we'll rule the world. Sound good? =D

jbedwar1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Re: grow


Ok i've read through MOST of these comments for this shirt. And i must say .... you are all getting so worked up over what to me looks like a VERY simple solution.
Here's what you do.... please read this carefully, as i don't want you to get confused:

If you like the design.... vote for it. If you don't like it.... Don't vote for it.

Or go back to bashing each other .. i don't really care. I'll go back to my corner and continue to not enter the derby in peace.

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
kylemittskus wrote:I would die before I used wikipedia as a referential source. Look at photos of line art. Don't read what pundits think they know about it.


Re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_art

I added that particular link and quote for only one reason: woot used the same link in the contest description. I thought re-linking it might help resolve any confusion.

In any case, I am thrilled by how well "grow" is doing and look forward to purchasing my shirt.

Ashleyrah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ashleyrah
bryozoan wrote:Re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_art

I added that particular link and quote for only one reason: woot used the same link in the contest description. I thought re-linking it might help resolve any confusion.

In any case, I am thrilled by how well "grow" is doing and look forward to purchasing my shirt.


Thanks - I was about to reply the same thing to Kyle. I'm curious as to which "pundits" are nerfing the line art article....

A study was done that shows Wikipedia to be about as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica. (http://www.news.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html). And it's not like we're submitting our woot posts to academic journals.

Thanks for posting the link and reminding us of the definitions Woot is using for this derby.

FearTheGorgon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages FearTheGorgon
Re: grow


I don't like this shirt very much, but if you want to find out about how low class people can be read this thread. I'm sorry I bothered.

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
Re: grow




Maybe you folks should come out to the country. This looks like a logo on a horse feed bag at my barn.

I am not kidding.

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
Re: grow

brizz wrote:Using something like Let It Grow as an inspiration is not suggestive of a desire to improve, but to figure out the easiest way to win.

The same thing could be said for recreating a flying penguin design... ironically MWM8180 was the designer of "Penguins Last Dream" that placed 5th in derby #27, which was the root of much controvesry in this derby...
Although James Cho's design received much praise & many initial votes for a 3-D rendering in this derby... it could be viewed as pandering to the voters for a quick win instead of showcasing James' artistic talent & original vision from what I've seen of his work.
Anyway, just countering an attack on a design(er) that the voters seem to like for whatever reason... maybe they like it due to that similarity... not really intending to open fresh wounds.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with the way the votes fly on this site. But that's the way it goes. I just don't vote for or buy them. But I rarely criticize designs in the fog that I don't like or in which I cannot see artistic merit according to my personal standards. I just praise the ones I like, that's just me though.
Personally, I'd like to see all vote totals hidden for all designs and the Hotness and Fog removed. To me, it's the only way to get unbiased votes and truly let the designs speak for themselves.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
lunartan wrote:The same thing could be said for recreating a flying penguin design... ironically MWM8180 was the designer of "Penguins Last Dream" that placed 5th in derby #27, which was the root of much controvesry in this derby...
Although James Cho's design received much praise & many initial votes for a 3-D rendering in this derby... it could be viewed as pandering to the voters for a quick win instead of showcasing James' artistic talent & original vision from what I've seen of his work.
Anyway, just countering an attack on a design(er) that the voters seem to like for whatever reason... maybe they like it due to that similarity... not really intending to open fresh wounds.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with the way the votes fly on this site. But that's the way it goes. I just don't vote for or buy them. But I rarely criticize designs in the fog that I don't like or in which I cannot see artistic merit according to my personal standards. I just praise the ones I like, that's just me though.
Personally, I'd like to see all vote totals hidden for all designs and the Hotness and Fog removed. To me, it's the only way to get unbiased votes and truly let the designs speak for themselves.


To me, the Cho situation is the reason something like Grow is so dangerous, lunar. It's not even arguable at this point that designers are consistently giving us work that is below them, because when they give us their quality, they get beaten by, well... you see the gap. If shirts like Grow continue to win, the designers will start taking the hint, and either leave, or give us their own Grows. That's why this shirt is such a slippery slope, and why many of us who truly like shirts dislike it.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
FearTheGorgon wrote:I don't like this shirt very much, but if you want to find out about how low class people can be read this thread. I'm sorry I bothered.


Why is it that people who have a good sense of artistry and are artists themselves are all of a sudden "abusive" and "low class" when they are honestly critical of something? I just don't get it. I've not said much of anything about this one...but geekfactor, adder, and others are incredibly well versed in the art of shirt making (gf runs a blog that covers all tshirt sites) and as such their opinion is a valuable one. Her assessment that this particular design fails in it's attempt at evoking profundity with simplicity is just an honest opinion. nothing more, nothing less. Why does one negative comment generate so much hate here? why are people so sensitive to anything aside from "AWESOME! GMV!"

Frankly, it's almost like the derbies are part of the Truman Show, and anyone who doesn't smile and wave to every passerby is an evil classless interloper who must be removed lest he/she upset anyone. People have opinions, good and bad, and I see no reason why one should be banned from expression when it's done so reasonably. And every critique of this design has been fair and reasonable - whether you agree with it or not. The fact that anyone who expresses an opinion that so many of you don't agree with usually meets with various personal jabs and calls for censoring said opinions is really quite sad and a little frightening. Is the real world free of criticism? Have we gotten so soft that everyone has to like something or shut up? I certainly hope not....because it will be very sad, boring, and milquetoast world if we ever get there.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
brizz wrote:Why is it that people who have a good sense of artistry and are artists themselves are all of a sudden "abusive" and "low class" when they are honestly critical of something? I just don't get it. I've not said much of anything about this one...but geekfactor, adder, and others are incredibly well versed in the art of shirt making (gf runs a blog that covers all tshirt sites) and as such their opinion is a valuable one. Her assessment that this particular design fails in it's attempt at evoking profundity with simplicity is just an honest opinion. nothing more, nothing less. Why does one negative comment generate so much hate here? why are people so sensitive to anything aside from "AWESOME! GMV!"

Frankly, it's almost like the derbies are part of the Truman Show, and anyone who doesn't smile and wave to every passerby is an evil classless interloper who must be removed lest he/she upset anyone. People have opinions, good and bad, and I see no reason why one should be banned from expression when it's done so reasonably. And every critique of this design has been fair and reasonable - whether you agree with it or not. The fact that anyone who expresses an opinion that so many of you don't agree with usually meets with various personal jabs and calls for censoring said opinions is really quite sad and a little frightening. Is the real world free of criticism? Have we gotten so soft that everyone has to like something or shut up? I certainly hope not....because it will be very sad, boring, and milquetoast world if we ever get there.


QFT except for the part about me being well versed in shirt design. I feel I have a good eye for others' work, but I have never implied I was well-versed in shirt design.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
AdderXYU wrote:QFT except for the part about me being well versed in shirt design. I feel I have a good eye for others' work, but I have never implied I was well-versed in shirt design.


sorry adder. I do think you have a good eye for it though.

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
brizz wrote:because it will be very sad, boring, and milquetoast world if we ever get there.


you use awesome words Brizz. ive had to look up several words reading your work

milquetoast apparently... is song by Helmet.

heheh..

does this post link back to some shirt design?
wel... i dont know what it links back too if it does... but regardless

i think, whatever shirt... is AWESOME!

fablefire


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
brizz wrote:Why is it that people who have a good sense of artistry and are artists themselves are all of a sudden "abusive" and "low class" when they are honestly critical of something? I just don't get it. I've not said much of anything about this one...but geekfactor, adder, and others are incredibly well versed in the art of shirt making (gf runs a blog that covers all tshirt sites) and as such their opinion is a valuable one. Her assessment that this particular design fails in it's attempt at evoking profundity with simplicity is just an honest opinion. nothing more, nothing less. Why does one negative comment generate so much hate here? why are people so sensitive to anything aside from "AWESOME! GMV!"


This makes me lawl, considering you just called me bitter for saying I wouldn't buy any of the derby shirts because they don't strike me as wearable designs.

...but yeah, I have no idea why people like to jump all over other people's cases for posting an honest opinion. ;)

I still don't see this as being any worse than a coupons, starbucks, or IT shirt.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
jimiyo wrote:you use awesome words Brizz. ive had to look up several words reading your work

milquetoast apparently... is song by Helmet.

heheh..

does this post link back to some shirt design?
wel... i dont know what it links back too if it does... but regardless

i think, whatever shirt... is AWESOME!



Milquetoast may be a song, but before that is was part of an expression from the first half of the 20th century "Caspar Milquetoast". A Caspar Milquetoast was a guy with no backbone, who could easily be cowed. If you think of a piece of bread soaked in milk - he had that sort of soggy resolve.

Therefore a milquetoast world would be a rather bland place indeed.

More milquetoast info here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/milquetoast

FearTheGorgon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages FearTheGorgon
brizz wrote:Why is it that people who have a good sense of artistry and are artists themselves are all of a sudden "abusive" and "low class" when they are honestly critical of something? I just don't get it. I've not said much of anything about this one...but geekfactor, adder, and others are incredibly well versed in the art of shirt making (gf runs a blog that covers all tshirt sites) and as such their opinion is a valuable one. Her assessment that this particular design fails in it's attempt at evoking profundity with simplicity is just an honest opinion. nothing more, nothing less. Why does one negative comment generate so much hate here? why are people so sensitive to anything aside from "AWESOME! GMV!"

Frankly, it's almost like the derbies are part of the Truman Show, and anyone who doesn't smile and wave to every passerby is an evil classless interloper who must be removed lest he/she upset anyone. People have opinions, good and bad, and I see no reason why one should be banned from expression when it's done so reasonably. And every critique of this design has been fair and reasonable - whether you agree with it or not. The fact that anyone who expresses an opinion that so many of you don't agree with usually meets with various personal jabs and calls for censoring said opinions is really quite sad and a little frightening. Is the real world free of criticism? Have we gotten so soft that everyone has to like something or shut up? I certainly hope not....because it will be very sad, boring, and milquetoast world if we ever get there.


Oh, Geekfactor runs a site about other tshirts sites? He must be a world expert on creating tshirts! His opinion is so valuable. How many shirts have you, adder, and all the others that are always dumping on shirts and being abusive to designers actually had printed that makes your opinion so valuable? Bro, I hate this design, I just like how much you think it's an offense to art and good taste. Thanks for policing the forums for us to protect us from this kind of stuff.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Why can't we all just get along?

KS- Congrats!

haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

When you post a negative view in a non-technical way, using phrases like "just bad", "simple minded" or subtle insults, you only appeal to people who already agree with you. If you really want to persuade someone that their vote is misplaced or their design is lacking, use objective terms, give examples of what is better, find the things you like.

A positive comment, even as simple as GMV!, encourages the creator beyond what a vote will do. You designers know the feeling.

So brizz, adder, bluchez, etc., if your goal is to affect change or educate, practice persuasion techniques. If your goal is to insult or flamebait, carry on. We have freedom of speech, but I can read from your posts that even you think detrimental expressions (like this shirt) should be censored.

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
AdderXYU wrote:To me, the Cho situation is the reason something like Grow is so dangerous, lunar. It's not even arguable at this point that designers are consistently giving us work that is below them, because when they give us their quality, they get beaten by, well... you see the gap. If shirts like Grow continue to win, the designers will start taking the hint, and either leave, or give us their own Grows. That's why this shirt is such a slippery slope, and why many of us who truly like shirts dislike it.

Point taken, Adder. Truth be told, most shirts I really like on this site never get to the fog, place 4th, or get pushed out by ones I would not buy (steampunk army, raptor on the plane, treacherous waters, El Prospector Cansado are all unfortunate casualties imao). And looks like some awesome (imho) Jimiyo & Cho designs might suffer the same fate again this week, which I am truly bummed out about... again.
I can understand an artist adjusting their submissions in an attempt to try and figure out or hedge their bets on the voting tendencies to get a printing and some $ for their effort & time, be it for better or worse. I am glad that quite a few artists do continue to try and push the envelop and do still spend a lot of time on their designs and there's still a lot of quality/talent on the site. I salute them, as I am not artistically gifted. Yes, it's a scary thought if some of my favs left ~ I shudder the thought... I don't know too many sites where I can score some art on an AA T for only $10 to my door.
I'm not a real fan of any of the fog shirts currently (sorry, creamaphobe), but when a shirt gets to the fog, there's obviously an appeal, and unfortunately, not much will change that, and it saves me some $...
Yes, people have a right to express their opinions about the designs, but most banal criticism just seems counter-productive & possibly ends up getting the shirt in question more attention and more votes as a result... And it does irk me a tad when one designer gets criticized for something when another gets praised, but do agree that history, personal taste and perceived talent can influence the comments.
Again, I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
haxrox wrote:When you post a negative view in a non-technical way, using phrases like "just bad", "simple minded" or subtle insults, you only appeal to people who already agree with you. If you really want to persuade someone that their vote is misplaced or their design is lacking, use objective terms, give examples of what is better, find the things you like.

A positive comment, even as simple as GMV!, encourages the creator beyond what a vote will do. You designers know the feeling.

So brizz, adder, bluchez, etc., if your goal is to affect change or educate, practice persuasion techniques. If your goal is to insult or flamebait, carry on. We have freedom of speech, but I can read from your posts that even you think detrimental expressions (like this shirt) should be censored.


Seriously, why do I get included there? I've made maybe 10 posts that haven't been 100% positive on woot (total). If you break it down by words, something like 0.0001% of the words I've posted have been negative, or held with them any negative connotations (unless, you consider the hours I spent writing stories for a few select entries as negative). I made one post about this particular shirt. (ONE) It was clear, to the point, and not hateful, IMO. I was working on a document for my business, and was looking through word's clip art, and was just thinking that grow reminded me of the artwork I was using to decorate my documents, not my chest. I'm not arguing that I haven't gone overboard before, but I just don't understand how I'm so readily lumped into the group that people love to hate. Maybe it's my spectacular artwork that people fear. LONG LIVE THE ****CUTE**** BUNNY!!!!!!!!

erinlein


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
lunartan wrote:Personally, I'd like to see all vote totals hidden for all designs and the Hotness and Fog removed. To me, it's the only way to get unbiased votes and truly let the designs speak for themselves.


I love that idea, what can we do to persuade woot to try it out?

I usually end up buying dailies because I feel like people choose whatever poc everyone else voted for. And once the designs are in the fog, its virtually impossible for anything else to have a chance.

And as I learned from my guilt after voting for the lemmings, you should vote on what you would *buy*, not just what you would wear in theorhetical alter-existence world with a wardrobe full of woot shirts. Love the complicated Cho style, for example, but who would REALLY buy the penguin shirt, the death shirt AND the birdie shirt?

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
lunartan wrote:... I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^


What a great idea!

mehron


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mehron
lunartan wrote: I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^


I completely agree.

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
lunartan wrote:
Again, I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^


I disagree.

I really don't, but since everyone likes arguing in this thread, I figured I might as well join in.

haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
bluchez wrote:Seriously, why do I get included there? LONG LIVE THE ****CUTE**** BUNNY!!!!!!!!


I really like your entries, bluchez. I wasn't going on percentages, just experience, and I guess I've happened to see only those few critical posts of yours in the last derby. And I don't love to hate, I love to debate. To be honest, I kind of DO fear cute bunnies.

piccnikk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piccnikk
jbedwar1 wrote:Ok i've read through MOST of these comments for this shirt. And i must say .... you are all getting so worked up over what to me looks like a VERY simple solution.
Here's what you do.... please read this carefully, as i don't want you to get confused:

If you like the design.... vote for it. If you don't like it.... Don't vote for it.

Or go back to bashing each other .. i don't really care. I'll go back to my corner and continue to not enter the derby in peace.


I agree. Do people think that when I read their comments bashing a design I am going to see the light and go unclick my vote box? These forums seem to be all about ranting, and it makes me have less fun with the derbies.

Obviously people like it. It's in the fog. Complaining won't change their minds.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
haxrox wrote:I really like your entries, bluchez. I wasn't going on percentages, just experience, and I guess I've happened to see only those few critical posts of yours in the last derby. And I don't love to hate, I love to debate. To be honest, I kind of DO fear cute bunnies.


To make it honest, let's point out that my "critical posts" in the last derby were about woot and woot software, and not about an artist or design. I somehow got lumped in with the vocal hating crowd in that one, as well.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
lunartan wrote:Point taken, Adder. Truth be told, most shirts I really like on this site never get to the fog, place 4th, or get pushed out by ones I would not buy (steampunk army, raptor on the plane, treacherous waters, El Prospector Cansado are all unfortunate casualties imao). And looks like some awesome (imho) Jimiyo & Cho designs might suffer the same fate again this week, which I am truly bummed out about... again.
I can understand an artist adjusting their submissions in an attempt to try and figure out or hedge their bets on the voting tendencies to get a printing and some $ for their effort & time, be it for better or worse. I am glad that quite a few artists do continue to try and push the envelop and do still spend a lot of time on their designs and there's still a lot of quality/talent on the site. I salute them, as I am not artistically gifted. Yes, it's a scary thought if some of my favs left ~ I shudder the thought... I don't know too many sites where I can score some art on an AA T for only $10 to my door.
I'm not a real fan of any of the fog shirts currently (sorry, creamaphobe), but when a shirt gets to the fog, there's obviously an appeal, and unfortunately, not much will change that, and it saves me some $...
Yes, people have a right to express their opinions about the designs, but most banal criticism just seems counter-productive & possibly ends up getting the shirt in question more attention and more votes as a result... And it does irk me a tad when one designer gets criticized for something when another gets praised, but do agree that history, personal taste and perceived talent can influence the comments.
Again, I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^


I think, myself, that Woot needs to play with their voting scheme some other way. I'd love a bigger hotness... you can see proof every week... the hotness and fog self-perpetuate. There will always be the one new shirt that makes the hotness, then slows to a crawl immediately upon dropping out, and as anyone can witness, at least half the hotness spots at any given time are already in the fog, meaning the fog breeds hotness.

It's not like every week doesn't bring these same discussions, mainly because every week brings these same issues. I don't think a silent vote count will help, but a larger fog will. A hotness that doesn't include foggers, or else lists entries at random, will. Even making the default entry view a random sort would help... people would click on the derby and automatically see four big thumbnails from anywhere in the derby, as opposed to the four newest. Sure, most would switch views from there, but that could be all it takes to catch the eye of some voters. And if that random eye-catch is enough to boost that entry into the hotness, where it would have been ignored otherwise, we'll only see better shirts for it.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
erinlein wrote:I love that idea, what can we do to persuade woot to try it out?

I usually end up buying dailies because I feel like people choose whatever poc everyone else voted for. And once the designs are in the fog, its virtually impossible for anything else to have a chance.

And as I learned from my guilt after voting for the lemmings, you should vote on what you would *buy*, not just what you would wear in theorhetical alter-existence world with a wardrobe full of woot shirts. Love the complicated Cho style, for example, but who would REALLY buy the penguin shirt, the death shirt AND the birdie shirt?


I'm sure some people would, especially wooters who have been clamoring for something wearable after the quickly reckoned "dreams", the difficult (and ultimately mediocrity-ruled) "Trompe L'Oeil", and the completely frivolous "Leap Year". I haven't found a shirt i really cared about in a month, so the idea of buying the ostriches and the death shirt is incredibly appealing. As for the birdie, I want it to place too, despite my not wearing it, because it's simply that well done. I always root for very good designs, whether I vote for them or not. That's what improves the derbies... when people take a chance, put in effort, and are rewarded for it with votes. You're right, of course... most people wouldn't buy all three... but in a world where "designer" shirts cost 30 for one, it's not unthinkable to drop 30 on three.

I also, btw, am a much bigger fan of the dailies. I love the surprise of never knowing what's next, and I love how, since woot picks them, creative and well done designs actually get through (which is not to say woot doesn't also pick some doozies).

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
Re: grow


Wow. I just stumbled upon the comments page for JadenKale's "Swim, Little Nessie" from last contest. I didn't realize just how much assault a cute, simple, and/or not highly complex design would get on these forums! I was just poking aorund previous winners out of boredom/curiosity.

Anyway, wanted to make two comments based on that new viewpoint:
1) JadenKale: You epitomize grace under fire.
2) I now see that the woot forum community and the woot voting community are two very different things.

On that note, I think I will, in the future, leave my comments all positive and/or polite, as it adds more to shirt.woot derbies to encourage artists and not tear down this place as an artistic haven.

Pardon the short observations, just thought it had merit given the echo in the recently debated topics within the comments of this entry and the earlier simple (and darn cute) entry from last contest.

hunterkiller25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunterkiller25
Re: grow


Some of you have a lot to learn about design, flow, and RE-wearability. Designing something simple, well placed, pleasing to the eye, and not incredibly abstract increases the compatibility of this shirt with other clothes.

Yes some of the other designs in this derby are incredible and the designers are worthy of a lot of praise, but taking a good idea and continuously breaking it down further and further into its most simple components and executing that idea properly is by no means an easy task either. The design of this shirt is simple enough to be understood and APPRECIATED by almost anyone (who isn't pissed off about derbies) and attracts the eye.

Good job, I'll be buying one if it wins.

mychaelwithay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mychaelwithay

this one can get first place for all i care, just as long as the unicorn shirt gets printed...

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
hunterkiller25 wrote:Some of you have a lot to learn about design, flow, and RE-wearability. Designing something simple, well placed, pleasing to the eye, and not incredibly abstract increases the compatibility of this shirt with other clothes.

Yes some of the other designs in this derby are incredible and the designers are worthy of a lot of praise, but taking a good idea and continuously breaking it down further and further into its most simple components and executing that idea properly is by no means an easy task either. The design of this shirt is simple enough to be understood and APPRECIATED by almost anyone (who isn't pissed off about derbies) and attracts the eye.

Good job, I'll be buying one if it wins.


What is the "good idea" being broken into its "most simple components"? Seriously. I just see a leaf surrounded by curvature that was clearly added on at the last second to add space to the design. I say clearly because a designer who took as much time as many of you insist grow took would have either shortened the design so it didn't span nipple to nipple, or expanded it so it passed both.

I feel I've been very clear about what makes this design weak, but that its defenders can tell me nothing about the design itself, just that they like simple things and they like this. I really don't think the average person would understand this shirt. They wouldn't look twice at it. It blends in and while the color contrast might attract the eye, the design is forgettable. It's too safe, too simple, and looks too much like a commissioned icon for a healthcare service or life insurance or education aid. It doesn't look or feel inspired.

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
mychaelwithay wrote:this one can get first place for all i care, just as long as the unicorn shirt gets printed...


I'm with you. I don't actually have anything against this design and it looks like something one of my friends would wear, now that I think about it. Hmm...if it does place, I'll have tell her (she's on woot too but doesn't check the derby).

But...I really, really, really, really want the unicorn shirt, so someone in the fog is going to have to lose in order for me to get it! l o l

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

Pyra


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pyra

Yup, always the same argument every week. I am just an observer but I really hope the mudslinging stops

-Pyra-

goldenmomiji


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldenmomiji
Re: grow


"And sometimes I use my [insert male repro organ here] as a pogo stick"
~ From Patch Adams

The point is I hope to make a few people smile.
This thread seemed too heated...

Please vote on my design!

andrewlb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb
Re: grow


I think that for the majority of the people that dislike this design, it comes from the same roots as people hating modern art. When I walk through downtown and see various pieces with a few colored lines, I myself get pissed because I think "well I could have done that!" and these people are getting paid 1000's of dollars to do it. RIDICULOUS! And that is where I believe people seem to find hate here, they say "well I could have done that!" The simple fact is though, that you didn't, this isn't your design up here and your jealousy is reasonable, but unfounded because an artist just came up with something simple and eloquent that your "creative" minds couldn't. Although I think to myself, yes I probably could have designed something like this, I didn't, I accept that, and I vote for this piece because it would look cool on a shirt. SO for all of you that get angry for this reason, think again, sulk and get over it.

Not to sound harsh, but I think a few people really needed some reality checks.....

*throws some more wood on fire* *stands back to watch it burn*

I'm only human

emgibson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages emgibson

I have nothing against simple and elegant designs, although I generally prefer more complex ones. My issue with this design is more of wearability: I really don't feel comfortable walking around with a leaf sprouting between my bewbs. I don't mind the design, just not on my chest.

Although the design doesn't appeal to me as a t-shirt, obviously it appeals to some. I started reading this post to find out why people like it, but most of the posts either bash it's simplicity/design to smithereens or just state that they like it. Is it possible to be any more concrete about why this design appeals to people? I'm just wondering if I'm missing the point of the design, and would like to hear more from the people who voted for it. In general, I feel like I've been missing the boat on all the grow and tree derby submissions over the past few months, and would like to hear from people who buy these designs. Or is one of the problems with a simple design (or art in general) that it's hard to qualify WHY a design appeals to you?

Torvik


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Torvik
Pyra wrote:Yup, always the same argument every week. I am just an observer but I really hope the mudslinging stops


Yeah, it seems like every week there a new design to complain about. Yikes. Why are some people like that? Sincerely?
I was once a part of a forum (icybrians.com) and there were a bunch of people there who were just mean and angry all the time. They would sort of haze new people until they went away.
There, I went away. Here, I just stop reading comments. It angries up the blood too much.

But while we're talking about things that we dislike around here, I dislike it when simple designs get labeled as "5 min designs". I look at this design, and I know there's no way I could do that in 5 mins.

And way back near the beginning Adder talked about how intricate designs are so much more worthy than simple designs. But if that's true, then how come I would never wear an intricate design, but would wear a simple design. Besides, there's already a couple intricate designs in the fog. Should they ALL be intricate? Hope not.

Honestly: stop pissing and moaning about how bad the designs are. You wanna know what chases away designers? It's not the Woot staff as much as it's the people who flame designs week after week after week after week just because it's not their taste or style. Gee whiz. Get over it!

Sorry. Long stressful day. I'm gonna leave now. See ya in a week when I'll come back to throw a couple votes around. Try not to give yourselves too many ulcers over how terrible other designs are, eh?

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
emgibson wrote:I have nothing against simple and elegant designs, although I generally prefer more complex ones. My issue with this design is more of wearability: I really don't feel comfortable walking around with a leaf sprouting between my bewbs. I don't mind the design, just not on my chest.

Although the design doesn't appeal to me as a t-shirt, obviously it appeals to some. I started reading this post to find out why people like it, but most of the posts either bash it's simplicity/design to smithereens or just state that they like it. Is it possible to be any more concrete about why this design appeals to people? I'm just wondering if I'm missing the point of the design, and would like to hear more from the people who voted for it. In general, I feel like I've been missing the boat on all the grow and tree derby submissions over the past few months, and would like to hear from people who buy these designs. Or is one of the problems with a simple design (or art in general) that it's hard to qualify WHY a design appeals to you?


Honestly, sometimes you can't really explain why you like something.

I love this shirt, and would most definitely be getting it if it places, but I can't explain why. It's just appealing to the eye for me, and I can easily see myself wearing it.

I wish I could give you some well thought out explanation as to why I voted for this shirt, and why I would shell out $10 without hesitation for it, but I can't. I just like it, that's all.

Honestly, I don't put that much thought into my T-Shirts, and I somewhat feel sorry for people who do.

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
Re: grow


To me the history, short though it is, of T-Shirt art is more about subculture art rather than corporate art.

It's not about modern versus traditional art (representational art etc), it's largely because the design looks like an agri-business logo that I find it repelling.

There are several other elegant line drawings in this derby. Much flora as well. None speak 'logo' quite so loudly.

No worries, if it wins, kudos to the artist. I used to make my living as a video freelancer. My advice to the artists is a motto that served me well and enabled me to enjoy an excellent array of clients: You can't insult me.

Seems like the kibitzers will always be around. Big deal, it's a derby. Horse races are fun places to kibitz.

(I wonder how much of my text will be translated to some Irish jokey joke...)

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Jemmacakes wrote:To me the history, short though it is, of T-Shirt art is more about subculture art rather than corporate art.

It's not about modern versus traditional art (representational art etc), it's largely because the design looks like an agri-business logo that I find it repelling.

There are several other elegant line drawings in this derby. Much flora as well. None speak 'logo' quite so loudly.

No worries, if it wins, kudos to the artist. I used to make my living as a video freelancer. My advice to the artists is a motto that served me well and enabled me to enjoy an excellent array of clients: You can't insult me.

Seems like the kibitzers will always be around. Big deal, it's a derby. Horse races are fun places to kibitz.

(I wonder how much of my text will be translated to some Irish jokey joke...)


You've really summed up exactly how I feel. While Ken has summed up exactly how the grow voters seem to feel. This is a corporate logo. The words "Omaha Country Feed" or "Southcoast Assisted Living" or "Smithson Arbor Day Walk" are all that's missing. Apparently 400-500 wooters want a corporate logo without the bother of searching a thrift store or the hassle of supporting a corporation, because they sure can't articulate it further.

winterismyseason


quality posts: 0 Private Messages winterismyseason
Re: grow


Regardless of what people say, I believe that this is a very clean very well done design, and it's simplicity is what makes it so. Great work! =)

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: grow


I agree with everything AdderXYU has said about this entry. This being in the fog is just insulting to the other artists who came up with a cool design and worked hard at their entry. I think tgentry's design in this derby blows this entry away, AND it looks like he put some time and effort into his unlike this, but no one will be able to purchase his because this one will get printed instead. You say 'It's simple and Beautiful' but I could give my 4 year old a sharpie and get the same shirt in five minutes. I'll agree with you that is is simple, but it's not very artistic. I'm all for giving credit where credit is do, but this enrty doesn't deserve to win or come in 2nd or 3rd.

whitstheatre11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whitstheatre11
jenny78 wrote:I agree with everything AdderXYU has said about this entry. This being in the fog is just insulting to the other artists who came up with a cool design and worked hard at their entry. I think tgentry's design in this derby blows this entry away, AND it looks like he put some time and effort into his unlike this, but no one will be able to purchase his because this one will get printed instead. You say 'It's simple and Beautiful' but I could give my 4 year old a sharpie and get the same shirt in five minutes. I'll agree with you that is is simple, but it's not very artistic. I'm all for giving credit where credit is do, but this enrty doesn't deserve to win or come in 2nd or 3rd.


i totally disagree with you...again time and complexity is not a measure for artistic value

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
jenny78 wrote:I agree with everything AdderXYU has said about this entry. This being in the fog is just insulting to the other artists who came up with a cool design and worked hard at their entry. I think tgentry's design in this derby blows this entry away, AND it looks like he put some time and effort into his unlike this, but no one will be able to purchase his because this one will get printed instead. You say 'It's simple and Beautiful' but I could give my 4 year old a sharpie and get the same shirt in five minutes. I'll agree with you that is is simple, but it's not very artistic. I'm all for giving credit where credit is do, but this enrty doesn't deserve to win or come in 2nd or 3rd.


I respect the opinion of people who dislike this shirt, I truly do, but what I gripe with is the statement "this is insulting to other artists who came up with a cool design and worked hard at their entry".

The object of this and all Derbies is to come up with a design that people would like to wear. That's the bare bones of it, vote for a shirt you and others may like to wear, the designer of this shirt thought this was such a shirt, so he did it up.

Maybe it did take him five minutes to design, but if it did, so what? He had the idea, and figured he didn't have anything to lose by submitting it. Should he have just sat on his idea out of respect to the Tgentry's who spend hours on their designs? I don't think so.

Woot Derbies are an open forum for people who want to submit T-Shirt designs to enter, whether they're professionals or novices. If someone comes up with a cool concept, it doesn't matter to me whether or not the idea takes 10 minutes to design, or 10 hours ... both individuals have the right to submit it, and both should be equally congratulated if their idea placed.

A lot of classic T-Shirts are simple designs, some that pop into my head are the Animal House "College" shirt, the Napoleon Dynamite "Vote For Pedro", the WWE "Austin 3:16", or the "Life Is Good" shirts that I see all over the place.

All of those are simple designs, and all of those have generated millions of dollars for the creators. Should those people have not taken a chance at throwing those concepts out there because the design isn't up to par artistically with some other people? I don't believe so.

I say congratulations to the designer for his design being popular, obviously people like it, and he deserves the success because he came up with an idea that no one else did. I say keep your head up high and continue submitting.

I am curious whether or not the backlash for this shirt would be the same if one of the more "respected" designers threw this up for the heck of it. What if a TGentry or Cho had an extra 5 minutes, did something like this up, and then submitted it with success. Would they find themselves on the receiving end of a verbal lashing or would their past portfolio give them a pass ? I personally think the community would give them a pass, which to me is the definition of hypocrisy.

In closing, if anyone has a gripe, don't take it out on the designer, he did nothing wrong. If you're going to be annoyed, be annoyed at the Woot voting community for not sharing your feelings on T-Shirt design, they're the ones voting for the shirt. The designer did what he, and every other Woot member, has a right to do. To bash him, his skill, or anything else is low class and uncalled for.

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
KenSPT wrote:In closing, if anyone has a gripe, don't take it out on the designer, he did nothing wrong. If you're going to be annoyed, be annoyed at the Woot voting community for not sharing your feelings on T-Shirt design, they're the ones voting for the shirt. The designer did what he, and every other Woot member, has a right to do. To bash him, his skill, or anything else is low class and uncalled for.


here here, well said

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

parkermc


quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc
KenSPT wrote:........
I say congratulations to the designer for his design being popular, obviously people like it, and he deserves the success because he came up with an idea that no one else did. I say keep your head up high and continue submitting.

I am curious whether or not the backlash for this shirt would be the same if one of the more "respected" designers threw this up for the heck of it. What if a TGentry or Cho had an extra 5 minutes, did something like this up, and then submitted it with success. Would they find themselves on the receiving end of a verbal lashing or would their past portfolio give them a pass ? I personally think the community would give them a pass, which to me is the definition of hypocrisy.

In closing, if anyone has a gripe, don't take it out on the designer, he did nothing wrong. If you're going to be annoyed, be annoyed at the Woot voting community for not sharing your feelings on T-Shirt design, they're the ones voting for the shirt. The designer did what he, and every other Woot member, has a right to do. To bash him, his skill, or anything else is low class and uncalled for.


Exactly. Well done.

I happen to like this design. Don't like it? Don't vote for it. Simple as that. Hundreds of other voters managed to figure it out.

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
Re: grow


I totally disagree with the "if I had a sharpie club" because logos are VERY hard to design.

BUT, ('everyone has a big but, Simone'), the assumption that particular artists would get a pass due to their name recognition is a bit silly. If that were the case the fog, would be packed with one artist's work.

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Jemmacakes wrote:BUT, ('everyone has a big but, Simone'), the assumption that particular artists would get a pass due to their name recognition is a bit silly. If that were the case the fog, would be packed with one artist's work.


I think that if an artist who usually does detailed, intricate work were to submit something simple-looking like this, I could see them getting even more criticism from people saying things like "I didn't expect this from you," "I know you can do better", "you're a sellout," etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
Jemmacakes wrote:I totally disagree with the "if I had a sharpie club" because logos are VERY hard to design.

BUT, ('everyone has a big but, Simone'), the assumption that particular artists would get a pass due to their name recognition is a bit silly. If that were the case the fog, would be packed with one artist's work.


In the fog :

Cho - Why Can't I Fly Friend?

Cho - Spring Rebirth

Also in 7th place :

Cho - Sashimi Hunters Woodcut

I'm not claiming those aren't awesome designs, they are and I've voted for 2 of the 3, but to claim that there isn't a bit of favoritism on this board towards certain designers is silly. At one point all 3 of his designs were in the fog.

I stand by my statement, if he submitted this, the people bashing it would say, "Eh, it's not my favorite, but it's Cho".

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
SailorButterfly wrote:I think that if an artist who usually does detailed, intricate work were to submit something simple-looking like this, I could see them getting even more criticism from people saying things like "I didn't expect this from you," "I know you can do better", "you're a sellout," etc.


Touche ... now that I think about it a little more, I can see it going either way.

So I'll direct this to TGentry and Cho, to settle this dispute, next Derby I expect to see nothing but Clipart and cute kittens ... ;-)

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
SailorButterfly wrote:I think that if an artist who usually does detailed, intricate work were to submit something simple-looking like this, I could see them getting even more criticism from people saying things like "I didn't expect this from you," "I know you can do better", "you're a sellout," etc.


So, these guys can't win for losing? I honestly don't care how much perceived work goes into a shirt. I think the work by Lionelarthur is more interesting, to me.

Votewise, as an aside, I only voted for the Cho spring shirt. I can and will wear it. Sashimi hunters was better in its first version and I just don't get the humor of ostriches picking up poop. I have a horse, though and let's face it, I GET the whole "lift with the knees" thing.
;)


superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Jemmacakes wrote:So, these guys can't win for losing? I honestly don't care how much perceived work goes into a shirt. I think the work by Lionelarthur is more interesting, to me.

Votewise, as an aside, I only voted for the Cho spring shirt. I can and will wear it. Sashimi hunters was better in its first version and I just don't get the humor of ostriches picking up poop. I have a horse, though and let's face it, I GET the whole "lift with the knees" thing.
;)

You have no idea how funny this post is to me. (not in a bad way)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Jemmacakes wrote: I just don't get the humor of ostriches picking up poop. I have a horse, though and let's face it, I GET the whole "lift with the knees" thing.
;)


l o l! So many people have said it looks like that...but it's supposed to be shoveling coal into the steam engine on the other ostrich's back. ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
Jemmacakes wrote:I just don't get the humor of ostriches picking up poop.


heheheh

nycanuck


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nycanuck
Re: grow


Love the controversy!

GMV

kjmendoza


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjmendoza
Re: grow

I have to say that, if I hadn't seen the work "Grow!" as the title, I wouldn't have been immediately sure what the lines represented.

www.quilt-scrap.blogspot.com

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
SailorButterfly wrote:l o l! So many people have said it looks like that...but it's supposed to be shoveling coal into the steam engine on the other ostrich's back. ;-)


Oh. c.r.u.d....sorry!!!

gack!

I get it now!!!


a-hem...sorry JamesCho84...I didn't realize!!

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes

Double GACK!

I am sorry Jimiyo, it's your spring shirt So sorry!!!

I'm leaving with my tail between my legs....


parkermc


quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc
KenSPT wrote:...
I stand by my statement, if he submitted this, the people bashing it would say, "Eh, it's not my favorite, but it's Cho".


So true. A derby or so ago, it was, "Eh, it's not my favorite, but it's Edgar." And then it turned out to be a false Edgar.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
KenSPT wrote:In the fog :

Cho - Why Can't I Fly Friend?

Cho - Spring Rebirth

Also in 7th place :

Cho - Sashimi Hunters Woodcut

I'm not claiming those aren't awesome designs, they are and I've voted for 2 of the 3, but to claim that there isn't a bit of favoritism on this board towards certain designers is silly. At one point all 3 of his designs were in the fog.

I stand by my statement, if he submitted this, the people bashing it would say, "Eh, it's not my favorite, but it's Cho".


If there is favoritism toward someone like cho, or tgent as others have mentioned, or any of the designers who regularly end up in the top-10 or fog, it is because they have proven themselves time and again to come up with quality concepts with quality execution. It's not favoritism because it's based on designs. When Cho is on, like this derby, he gets praise for his detail, his skill, his ability to work in the timeframe allotted, his ability to work with many different themes... and one thing he ALWAYS gets praise for is his line work. There is no artist on woot who is more consistent with their linework, and as such Cho having two fog spots in a derby about linework is not only fair, but not shocking, even if this was his first derby. On the other hand, he has also had a number of ideas which, while interesting and well done, have been not as great, and they have languished for it. If Cho were to go the other way, and submit a lowest-common-denominator design, he'd very likely have so many people who normally praise his work saying "oh, cho... what the hell did you do?" There were already posts of the sort regarding the Penguin shirt, which was well done if topically bland.

If you're looking for a conspiracy, find a talentless designer who keeps making the top-10. Cho gets there on his skill. If you can't appreciate that he has enough skill to earn his fog spots fairly, your critiques are not informed enough to listen to.

EyeTeeGuy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages EyeTeeGuy
Re: grow


I like this shirt, hell, I voted for this shirt.

However, I too can't understand why it's so damn likeable.

I may retract my vote in hopes to get one of the two skull entrants to the FOG.

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
KenSPT wrote:next Derby I expect to see nothing but Clipart and cute kittens ... ;-)


dear KenSPT,

i call dibs on cute kittens.

it should be done by persons who truly love kittens. and although it makes me sound fruity. i love kitties.

i think Cho is a dog person.
not sure of Tgentry, but i feel my love for kitties would be greater.

ceiling cat is due to make an appearance, in every derby possible

regards
jimi benedict

vote for Death.http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10668

take it back for all other designs.
just a suggestion.

littlejetties


quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlejetties
jimiyo wrote:

vote for Death.http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10668

take it back for all other designs.
just a suggestion.



I second that. I'm taking back my other vote that's in the fog. I think this "grow" shirt looks like a tired old tribal "tramp stamp" tattoo. No offense to the designer. Just my opinion and I'm new here so my opinion doesn't amount for squat. Go Death!

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

jimiyo wrote:dear KenSPT,

i think Cho is a dog person.
not sure of Tgentry, but i feel my love for kitties would be greater.


No question there. I'm a dog person all the way. I tolerate cats, but I do not celebrate them. Also I may dabble in flying squirrel this go round.

nycanuck


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nycanuck
tgentry wrote:No question there. I'm a dog person all the way. I tolerate cats, but I do not celebrate them. Also I may dabble in flying squirrel this go round.


Regular flying squirrel or steam-punk style?

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
Re: grow


Dammit, I hope this makes its way back into the Fog, if for no other reason than to drive the haters of the shirt even more frickin' crazy ...

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
KenSPT wrote:Dammit, I hope this makes its way back into the Fog, if for no other reason than to drive the haters of the shirt even more frickin' crazy ...


That's better.

Yes, I'm talking to myself.

mwm8180


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm8180
Re: grow


hey all, wanted to give thanks to all my supporters one last time.
its a close race, and id love to end it in the top 3. but if i don't its been an exciting week with all the controversy.

Thanks again to all the 500+ people who got this shirt to the top and kept it there for most of the week.

see you w/ a new design tomorrow.


shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
Re: grow

I really like this design, the simplicity of it is what makes it look so great on the shirt. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of the top designs but looking at them all together they look so line-heavy, and this one is a nice alternative to some of the shirts that have the cluttered look. +1 from me! You've taken the controversy in stride, that is very commendable of you. I know from personal experience it's aggravating, just look at my sig. heh

Iambusyeating


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
shan24 wrote:I really like this design, the simplicity of it is what makes it look so great on the shirt. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of the top designs but looking at them all together they look so line-heavy, and this one is a nice alternative to some of the shirts that have the cluttered look. +1 from me! You've taken the controversy in stride, that is very commendable of you. I know from personal experience it's aggravating, just look at my sig. heh


I agree with Shan. You've handled the whole situation incredibly well considering. I'm sure I would have gone off the deep end if I was taking the abuse you took.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

nycanuck wrote:Regular flying squirrel or steam-punk style?


Everyone knows flying squirrels are nut powered, so it would of course be in a classic nut-punk style.

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
Iambusyeating wrote:I agree with Shan. You've handled the whole situation incredibly well considering. I'm sure I would have gone off the deep end if I was taking the abuse you took.


I agree... way to hold strong, and good luck in this race for 2-5. It seems pretty crazy in there.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

f0sman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages f0sman

The battle was ugly...Fog O War...
But i hope, i hope that when the fog clears, the seeds of hope will begin the GROW.
Tis spring time.

It'll be a great t-shirt to have!!

ALL THE BEST!!

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
KenSPT wrote:Dammit, I hope this makes its way back into the Fog, if for no other reason than to drive the haters of the shirt even more frickin' crazy ...


Er, it's a shirt design. "Hate" is such a strong word.

Repelled. Reminded of Archer Daniels Midland subsidiary. A bag of horse feed (without a horse!).

But hate?

No. Hate relies on loving something. And this was never a love affair.
;)

that wuz teh funneh

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
AdderXYU wrote:I think, myself, that Woot needs to play with their voting scheme some other way. I'd love a bigger hotness... you can see proof every week... the hotness and fog self-perpetuate. There will always be the one new shirt that makes the hotness, then slows to a crawl immediately upon dropping out, and as anyone can witness, at least half the hotness spots at any given time are already in the fog, meaning the fog breeds hotness.

It's not like every week doesn't bring these same discussions, mainly because every week brings these same issues. I don't think a silent vote count will help, but a larger fog will. A hotness that doesn't include foggers, or else lists entries at random, will. Even making the default entry view a random sort would help... people would click on the derby and automatically see four big thumbnails from anywhere in the derby, as opposed to the four newest. Sure, most would switch views from there, but that could be all it takes to catch the eye of some voters. And if that random eye-catch is enough to boost that entry into the hotness, where it would have been ignored otherwise, we'll only see better shirts for it.


I like many of your ideas, Adder. Really like excluding fog entries from the hotness.

I'd just like to see the fog bashing minimized, and rely more on praising good submissions in the forums to garner attention & votes. As well as encourage people to scroll down on the page and actually take the time to see the 100+ entries without relying on the hotness and the "Votes" filter to determine what's "worth" voting for.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Jemmacakes wrote:Er, it's a shirt design. "Hate" is such a strong word.

Repelled. Reminded of Archer Daniels Midland subsidiary. A bag of horse feed (without a horse!).

But hate?

No. Hate relies on loving something. And this was never a love affair.
;)

that wuz teh funneh


Now the real question is, if Ken roots for things to win out of spite, not out of talent or worthiness, why should we pay attention to his opinions?

It's amazing how many people will defend a terrible shirt not because they like it, but because people dared to call it bad. It happens every derby... someone votes for a horrible shirt, or a shirt they wouldn't have voted for otherwise, just out of spite that someone would dare ridicule it. And that, to me, proves more than anything just how useless the design is, let alone the opinion of that voter.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: grow


Two different people mentioned horsefeed logos, without posting pictures. One person mentioned Archer Daniels Midland, so I went on a search. The only thing I found was this:


I do not think that Grow looks like this, unless you think all leaves look the same.



grdaines


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grdaines
Re: grow


It's called a free market, what people like, sells. It doesn't matter what skill level or effort is involved. If poeple like it they buy it or vote for it, in this case perhaps both. As many might have noticed it's often the simplest designs that win or do well on shirt.woot.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail