Derby #37: Greed

The New Highway Robbery

That's just wrong.

Rejected because: That's just wrong.

add a comment

Comments

tiaerman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Isn't that a copyrighted logo?

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
tiaerman wrote:Isn't that a copyrighted logo?


Parody

phreekonature


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
rres wrote:Parody


It should be far enough away to be considered parody.

This is really great. Not much I would buy. This... I'm in for 3!

Amach06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
phreekonature wrote:It should be far enough away to be considered parody.

This is really great. Not much I would buy. This... I'm in for 3!


Are you serious. This is the exact BP logo. To a t.

Well there is always next year....

caspianta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages caspianta
rres wrote:Parody


i agree that it's parody, but what bothers me is that in the comp itself, the bp logo looks low resolution...like it was swiped from a preexisting image off the internet rather than actually being rendered by the artist. in THAT case, i would call it copyright infringement simply for the actual use of someone else's digitally create file.

nathanpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanpm
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Looks awesome - I'd buy one for sure.

sozoones


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sozoones
Re: The New Highway Robbery

GMV! Everyone can relate

personnemaime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages personnemaime
Re: The New Highway Robbery


While I think this is acceptable as parody, you may get rejected for having a different detail and shirt background.

Psystal


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Psystal
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Awww, BP? They're at least sort of decent. I'd go for an Exxon-Mobil parody though!

Jack31081


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Seriously? We're going to take one of the most powerful photographs of the last 50 years and use it on a t-shirt about high gas prices?

I'd feel embarrassed to have this on my person.

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
Jack31081 wrote:Seriously? We're going to take one of the most powerful photographs of the last 50 years and use it on a t-shirt about high gas prices?

I'd feel embarrassed to have this on my person.


a-fracking-men

ugh.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Jack31081 wrote:Seriously? We're going to take one of the most powerful photographs of the last 50 years and use it on a t-shirt about high gas prices?

I'd feel embarrassed to have this on my person.


Hear Hear!

When you combine a copyrighted logo AND a copyrighted picture (if you tell me you drew those silhouettes freehand, I will find you and box your ears for lying) you have a stolen idea, a hackish design ethic, and a definite rejection. It's not parody if the only original art you bring to the table is turning a gun into a gas pump. It's flat out theft.

The fact that such a blatant sidestepping of basic copyrights is in the fog just gives me one more reason to distrust the average wooter's capability of judging shirts.

pstan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Reject please. You can't steal the BP logo or an existing image. Search BP on Google images and this image is one of the first results.

http://www.robertamsterdam.com/BP_art.jpg

surflunesta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages surflunesta
Re: The New Highway Robbery


The concept is great...the copyright issues are not

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Hilarious, though might di due to politics (you reference a very powerful photo, which might cheese some off.)


Check out my blog:Here!

scoobeedoobee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoobeedoobee

Its a GREAT shirt and Id buy 3 easy. Copyrighted or not. anyone worried about whether it should be rejected or not needs to quite worrying about other peoples designs and focus more on thier own soft bellied souls.
Besides its tons better than any of the shirts I've seen lately from woot. Really says alot in a small little design. Echos alot of peoples sentiments and speaks volumes to us all I think.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
pstan wrote:Reject please. You can't steal the BP logo or an existing image. Search BP on Google images and this image is one of the first results.

http://www.robertamsterdam.com/BP_art.jpg


Wow, so not only is the picture stolen, and the logo stolen, but the juxtaposition of the two is stolen as well?

scoobeedoobee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoobeedoobee

"If there's an ORIGINAL IDEA out there... I could use it RIGHT NOW!"
Bob Dylan said that.

YOU SHOULD STOP TRYING TO GET A GOOD DESIGN REJECTED.
Bunch of Pansy Wipes for trying if you ask me.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
scoobeedoobee wrote:Its a GREAT shirt and Id buy 3 easy. Copyrighted or not. anyone worried about whether it should be rejected or not needs to quite worrying about other peoples designs and focus more on thier own soft bellied souls.
Besides its tons better than any of the shirts I've seen lately from woot. Really says alot in a small little design. Echos alot of peoples sentiments and speaks volumes to us all I think.


Dear Scoobeedoobee,

Welcome to the "Reasons why woot needs to moderate their damn contest" convention. You'll find you're in what you'd probably consider great company, but the rest of the artistic world, from shirts to fine art and then back down to sketchy comics, would consider loathsome. Todd Goldman is down the hall holding a conference, but if you want to stay with your woot brethren, Rob Glenn will be starting a seminar in just a matter of minutes. We feel you will enjoy your stay, but beg you not to use the free wireless connection to vote on shirts.

scoobeedoobee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoobeedoobee

IT'S JUST A T-SHIRT LAST TIME I LOOKED.
THIS ONE IS FUNNY AND RELATES TO GREED I THINK.
SEEMS LIKE PEOPLE ARE GETTING TOO SERIOUS AND PICKY. MAYBE BECAUSE OF THE MONEY BEING PAID TO THE WINNER?!.

fablefire


quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
pstan wrote:Reject please. You can't steal the BP logo or an existing image. Search BP on Google images and this image is one of the first results.

http://www.robertamsterdam.com/BP_art.jpg


Hah! A new low? Stay tuned wooters to find out!

Amach06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
scoobeedoobee wrote:IT'S JUST A T-SHIRT LAST TIME I LOOKED.
THIS ONE IS FUNNY AND RELATES TO GREED I THINK.
SEEMS LIKE PEOPLE ARE GETTING TOO SERIOUS AND PICKY. MAYBE BECAUSE OF THE MONEY BEING PAID TO THE WINNER?!.


I disagree. I come here to buy original shirts that have some artistic ability to them. There are many artists here that fit in to that criteria. This is not one of them.

Well there is always next year....

Amach06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
derekfilley wrote:Hilarious, though might di due to politics (you reference a very powerful photo, which might cheese some off.)


Call me stupid but what photo are we talking about. Sorry... I only new the logo was stolen.

Well there is always next year....

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
Psystal wrote:Awww, BP? They're at least sort of decent. I'd go for an Exxon-Mobil parody though!


I agree... BP's not as bad as others...

Sadly, I also agree that the parody claim is kind of pushing it here, the logo looks pretty straight up stolen.

EDIT: Oops, hadn't read the tread far enough... the whole image is stolen?!? geez

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

surflunesta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages surflunesta
Amach06 wrote:Call me stupid but what photo are we talking about. Sorry... I only new the logo was stolen.


One of the most famous photographs ever. It was during the Vietnam war. Someone help with the scenario please.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU



That one. It's someone about to assassinate someone, so it's in questionable taste to start. It's pretty iconic, so it's obvious pandering through recognition. It's still under copyright, I'm certain, so if the photographer ever decided to sue, he'd likely win and win hard. And it's combined with a corporate logo... an oil company's, no less... so potential double lawsuit. There's too much infringement to fall under parody, and to top it all off, the whole juxtaposition of turning it into execution by gas (complete with gas logo) appears to have existed before this shirt did.

ETA: Not to mention the shirt itself and the thumbnail differ largely. This is so full of reject that it might as well go on celebrity survivor.

MHBoston


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
pstan wrote:Reject please. You can't steal the BP logo or an existing image. Search BP on Google images and this image is one of the first results.

http://www.robertamsterdam.com/BP_art.jpg

Just trying to make it more obvious this image is stolen.....
Have you Tattled yet?

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 24 | k.w ~ 1 |

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
scoobeedoobee wrote:Its a GREAT shirt and Id buy 3 easy. Copyrighted or not. anyone worried about whether it should be rejected or not needs to quite worrying about other peoples designs and focus more on thier own soft bellied souls.
Besides its tons better than any of the shirts I've seen lately from woot. Really says alot in a small little design. Echos alot of peoples sentiments and speaks volumes to us all I think.


You might not care if the image is copyrighted, but woot does:

Will Shirt.Woot really produce and sell the three designs that get the most votes in a given week?
Generally, yes. Unless:

* We determine that the design contains elements created and/or owned by someone other than the designer or Woot, or that would otherwise infringe on the intellectual property rights of third parties;



http://shirt.woot.com/WhatIsWoot.aspx#q7d

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: The New Highway Robbery


I really hope this gets rejected. Not only is it a stolen image, but it's on heather grey. Must we ALWAYS have some sort of grey shirt be in the fog? It seems like every week a grey shirts places. How about some color already. It's spring. Who wants to wear a dull grey right now?

scoobeedoobee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoobeedoobee

I just wish people could let things go instead of trying to get others designs rejected. If you dont like it dont buy it if it wins. No need to keep trashing it because of this or that.
I cant stand all those well designed shirts that looked as if they were some design program that exploded from the bottom corner of the shirt. Its almost all i see anymore on shirt designs from woot.
I also dont like many of the well intentioned but poorly done designs but i dont call for them to be rejected. If I like it I buy it. Easy. I dont like alot of things or people but i dont call for them to be done in.
SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IS CALLING FOR A JIHAD ON THIS DESIGN AND I THINK THATS WRONG. DONT BUY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT. OR MAYBE DESIGN A BETTER SHIRT... OR JUST SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY.

2005vette


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2005vette
Re: The New Highway Robbery


i would agree that this is a Parody, and should stay.

scoobeedoobee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoobeedoobee

YES, WOOT DOES... SO Why does everyone else feel the need to keep bringing it up. If only people would get so up in arms over what the current administration has done to our country and do something about it.

arsenicsauce


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arsenicsauce
scoobeedoobee wrote:Wah wah wah people who aren't me are complaining on the internet and I'm incapable of hitting the back button lest anyone else have the last word


They broke the rules, they're getting flack for it, why is this making your life so hard?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
scoobeedoobee wrote:I just wish people could let things go instead of trying to get others designs rejected. If you dont like it dont buy it if it wins. No need to keep trashing it because of this or that.
I cant stand all those well designed shirts that looked as if they were some design program that exploded from the bottom corner of the shirt. Its almost all i see anymore on shirt designs from woot.
I also dont like many of the well intentioned but poorly done designs but i dont call for them to be rejected. If I like it I buy it. Easy. I dont like alot of things or people but i dont call for them to be done in.
SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IS CALLING FOR A JIHAD ON THIS DESIGN AND I THINK THATS WRONG. DONT BUY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT. OR MAYBE DESIGN A BETTER SHIRT... OR JUST SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY.


1) If a design is against the rules, it should be rejected. If you disagree with this, then why have rules at all? Hell, why have a theme at all? This design is against the rules. We are making an outcry against it to make sure woot notices it and rejects it, because as you may have noticed, being such a person yourself, being against the rules does not stop people from voting things into the fog.

2) There are indeed a lot design explosion designs that get through. Most of these are way less "well designed" than you think. However, just because they're bad doesn't make them rejectable

3) Same as above for poorly executed designs. Even when poor execution fogs, it's not against the rules. We can plead and moan and shout, but Woot isn't about to be the quality police, as any given derby should prove to you.

4) This particular shirt isn't about quality tho. You can think it is wrong, but that doesn't make you right. This shirt is totally rejectable, and indeed should be rejected. That's not because we don't like it. It's because it doesn't follow the rules. We don't like it either, but the main issue is the rulebreaking. If you don't comprehend this you are a fool, and if you insist on shouting about how you don't understand this, you will only make yourself look more foolish.

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
AdderXYU wrote:
It's someone about to assassinate someone, so it's in questionable taste to start. It's pretty iconic, so it's obvious pandering through recognition. It's still under copyright, I'm certain, so if the photographer ever decided to sue, he'd likely win and win hard. And it's combined with a corporate logo... an oil company's, no less... so potential double lawsuit. There's too much infringement to fall under parody, and to top it all off, the whole juxtaposition of turning it into execution by gas (complete with gas logo) appears to have existed before this shirt did.

adder, the robert amsterdam image is clearly parody of the eddie adams photograph, and eddie died in 2004 although his heir(s) or the AP owns the rights to the photo for the next 66 yrs, i'm sure. but it is obvious, as jack pointed out, that this derby submission is a direct copy of the robert amsterdam image with a slimmed down gun/nozzle holder.

scoobeedoobee, if you want this printed, try contacting the original artist and see if he'll submit it to woot...

i'm sure this has been tattled on countless times for the direct rip-off as well as the comp variances. rejection has to impending.

EDIT: that wuz teh funneh, already rejected. controversy solved.

Jambando


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jambando
Re: The New Highway Robbery


I agree fully with Adder on this (that's new). Blatant copyright violation = blatant rejection

Explodinggreenllama


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Explodinggreenllama
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Wow, I read the thread all the way through and boy was that a long and hectic ride. In the end, it got rejected surprise surprise, copyrighted images and distinct rulebreaking just don't have a place in woot

"I'm Snug the joiner, and I'm a man."
-Daniel Parvis, Midsummer Nights Dream

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: The New Highway Robbery


Not that anyone cares at this point but I feel the need to clear my name or worsen the situation....whichever it may be.

First, I did borrow the idea from someone. Robert Amsterdam is not the artist. Nick Turner is and he is a close personal friend of mine. He has allowed me to use it on a blog I write but I did not ask to modify it and use it for a derby entry. I never expected to win or garner as much attention as I did in such a short amount of time, but it is what it is. I just loved the design and the statement it makes and I never forgot the way it impacted me when I first saw it. I also felt it was spot on target for the theme. Anyhow, my bad and I apologize.

To my defense ever so slightly, it was only my 3rd entry and I was not entirely clear what would be considered acceptable because I saw that old Starbucks Tshirt on here and it looked exactly like the real logo to me. I did modify this quite a bit if anyone cares to compare the two in detail, as his design would have been considered incomplete and Rejected for using gradients. Regardless - I just messed up and I assure you that I will not make that mistake again. I am going to tell Nick about this and you will all be sorry because then he will start entering the derby and everyone would have to wear a shirt designed by him, Tgentry, Jimyo, KlsWoot, or Cho.

What fun would that be? =D
Sorry again. I will hop off my pedestal now.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
rres wrote:Not that anyone cares at this point but I feel the need to clear my name or worsen the situation....whichever it may be.
..........
To my defense ever so slightly, it was only my 3rd entry .......... I am going to tell Nick about this and you will all be sorry because then he will start entering the derby and everyone would have to wear a shirt designed by him,.......

rres, I took the liberty to shorten your post, because I wanted to respond to the parts I left. This is not because the rest of your post is not important, but simply for brevity.

First, woot is an open forum with a lot of opinionated people. You sometimes need a very thick skin just to post here, but I assure you, the majority of the people here are looking to keep the level of shirt entries as high as possible. So if you saw negative comments, it was meant as constructive criticism. Some people could use more charm when making their criticism, but it is what it is.

Second, the group does not do the rejecting, the people who work for woot do. Judging from the statement about why your entry was rejected, I'd say it was not because of the BP logo, but because of the photo from Vietnam you used. When that was published on Time magazine years ago, it was a total shock to the system to look at it. For some people, it still carries that power. You have to be careful with violent visual images, since it can upset people. If this week's theme was aggression or class struggle, this might have been appropriate. But since it was greed this week, I am guessing that woot thought it was too strong a message.

Last, please tell your friend Nick that new talent is ALWAYS welcome. Competition is a wonderful thing when dealing with creativity, since it stretches everyone to greater heights. And as a tshirt buyer, I am always interested in new styles.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
Jack31081 wrote:Seriously? We're going to take one of the most powerful photographs of the last 50 years and use it on a t-shirt about high gas prices?

I'd feel embarrassed to have this on my person.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what photo is he using?

Still single, can't imagine why.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail