Derby #39: Motion

Spring FLing

Off topic

Rejected because: Off topic

add a comment

Comments

dea007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dea007
Re: Spring FLing


I like the design, but not the color. I would like it a lot more if it was on a darker red/maroon color!

rabbitjr


quality posts: 2 Private Messages rabbitjr
dea007 wrote:I like the design, but not the color. I would like it a lot more if it was on a darker red/maroon color!


Yeah, think maroon would give it a victorian sort of look.

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: Spring FLing


Yeah - playing an instrument and dancing....no motion involved in those.

puhlease

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

rres wrote:Yeah - playing an instrument and dancing....no motion involved in those.

puhlease

Somewhere someone mentioned something about seeing this image before. That may have also had something to do with it. I did not see said image.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
superspryte wrote:Somewhere someone mentioned something about seeing this image before. That may have also had something to do with it. I did not see said image.


that would be a neat trick.

mvw99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvw99
Re: Spring FLing


Why in the world is this rejected??? Dancing with the joy of spring has nothing to do with the topic of motion???

This is a really nice shirt, though the colors are wrong to really set it off.

frantix


quality posts: 2 Private Messages frantix
mvw99 wrote:Why in the world is this rejected??? Dancing with the joy of spring has nothing to do with the topic of motion???

This is a really nice shirt, though the colors are wrong to really set it off.


Completely agree... This shouldn't be rejected if it's only based on motion... tree's moving, people dancing?

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: Spring FLing


Thank you for noticing. Clearly this is not a proper reason for rejection. I appreciate your support,

ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
Re: Spring FLing


So this is the deal: This isn't your art. I knew this wasn't your art when you posted the design, but I wasn't going to say anything because your image was rejected. However, it irritates me that you continue to accept sympathy for the rejection, knowing that it's someone else's art. That's just unreasonably uncool.

Dance to the Pipe

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: Spring FLing


I never said this was my own design. I purchased the book a long time ago and scanned it from there. I have full legal authority to use it.

Additionally, even though I could have submitted it as is, I dramatically altered it so it would be relevant to the theme. Look at the differences yourself.

ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
rres wrote:I never said this was my own design. I purchased the book a long time ago and scanned it from there. I have full legal authority to use it.

Additionally, even though I could have submitted it as is, I dramatically altered it so it would be relevant to the theme. Look at the differences yourself.


Yes....you cut some of it off. Nice skills.

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
ilstu99 wrote:Yes....you cut some of it off. Nice skills.


Cut off, resized, reshaped, trimmed and recolored edges....

thanks for noticing.

like i said, I could used it in it's entirety...but I did put the time in

so I am right and you are wrong.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
rres wrote:so I am right and you are wrong.


Let us never say designers don't have eloquent debating skills.

ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
rres wrote:Cut off, resized, reshaped, trimmed and recolored edges....

thanks for noticing.

like i said, I could used it in it's entirety...but I did put the time in

so I am right and you are wrong.


It's still someone else's art.

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
ilstu99 wrote:It's still someone else's art.


for someone who has been around since 2005, you surprisingly do not get it.

eyeslikesugar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
rres wrote:for someone who has been around since 2005, you surprisingly do not get it.


That complaint certainly is old drama

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Spring FLing


when this was rejected for being off-topic, you could have chosen to redesign it and make the movement clearer. You chose to debate the rejection, and afaik no one has successfully appealed a rejection.

Regardless of the on-topic status, you will find that most artists/designers and voters prefer to see original art as opposed to clip art, regardless of the legality. You can see the Rejectionator's opinion about clip art on this derby entry.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
rres wrote:for someone who has been around since 2005, you surprisingly do not get it.


Apparently so. We all have our crosses to bear.

ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
mia3mom wrote:when this was rejected for being off-topic, you could have chosen to redesign it and make the movement clearer. You chose to debate the rejection, and afaik no one has successfully appealed a rejection.

Regardless of the on-topic status, you will find that most artists/designers and voters prefer to see original art as opposed to clip art, regardless of the legality. You can see the Rejectionator's opinion about clip art on this derby entry.


Thanks for getting it. The legalities weren't necessarily the issue. I've seen multiple rejections just based on the fact that it's not original art (even if not a copyright violation), or not changed enough to be considered your own.

There are so many great artists that enter these derbies. I feel some sympathy for the fact that voters can get bogged down in clip-art entries, and just get tired of looking.

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
eyeslikesugar wrote:That complaint certainly is old drama


Im addressing these few posts and then going to bed and putting this all behind me.

I assumed you were taking a shot at me but in realty your reference just adds to my point. Like I said, this stuff goes on here all the time....accept it or ban it, but don't reject it for some made-up, irrelevant reason.

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
mia3mom wrote:when this was rejected for being off-topic, you could have chosen to redesign it and make the movement clearer. You chose to debate the rejection, and afaik no one has successfully appealed a rejection.

Regardless of the on-topic status, you will find that most artists/designers and voters prefer to see original art as opposed to clip art, regardless of the legality. You can see the Rejectionator's opinion about clip art on this derby entry.



Thank you as well for supporting me. As you can cleary read and comprehend, they were tired of seeing the same old monkey 5 weeks in a row. They then specifically requested new clip art.

If it was truly banned for being clip art, then the other previous 4 weeks would have been rejected and they were not.

I never debated the rejection, just the reasoning for it. If they said they were banning all clip art then so be it. but to say this entry doesnt reflect motion...well I mean really, come on.

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
ilstu99 wrote:Thanks for getting it. The legalities weren't necessarily the issue. I've seen multiple rejections just based on the fact that it's not original art (even if not a copyright violation), or not changed enough to be considered your own.

There are so many great artists that enter these derbies. I feel some sympathy for the fact that voters can get bogged down in clip-art entries, and just get tired of looking.



Tell it to jimyo, alvin ping, klswoot, superpryte, etc. etc.
Modifying existing artwork is not outlawed or banned on here.....yet. If you don't like my take on it, so be it, but why would you ever be presumptious enough to claim that I was rejected for using artwork instead of for the reason that Woot claimed. Are you saying that woot is not capable of knowing why they reject soemthing or are you saying that my design does actually reflect motion and that woot is wrong?

Finally - and this is important for you all to understand - once and for all hopefully - this is a tshirt design derby, not an art contest. This contest is not to determine who the best freehand artist is. If it was, Cho would win 3 times a week every week. It is about designing tshirts relevant to a theme. Sometimes clip art pieces are allowed...sometimes not.

Let's just all move on with our lives. It's almost Taco Tuesday for crying out loud.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
rres wrote:Tell it to jimyo, alvin ping, klswoot, superpryte, etc. etc.
Modifying existing artwork is not outlawed or banned on here.....yet. If you don't like my take on it, so be it, but why would you ever be presumptious enough to claim that I was rejected for using artwork instead of for the reason that Woot claimed. Are you saying that woot is not capable of knowing why they reject soemthing or are you saying that my design does actually reflect motion and that woot is wrong?

Finally - and this is important for you all to understand - once and for all hopefully - this is a tshirt design derby, not an art contest. This contest is not to determine who the best freehand artist is. If it was, Cho would win 3 times a week every week. It is about designing tshirts relevant to a theme. Sometimes clip art pieces are allowed...sometimes not.

Let's just all move on with our lives. It's almost Taco Tuesday for crying out loud.


I know KLS uses vector brushes, spryte has been accused of photo use, and alvin's shirt plain sucked, but Jimiyo creates his own clip-art. Using any of the above (except alvin, again, because to me, his printing got all the effort he put into it) as an example is pretty petty to start, but you are confusing Jimi using clipart he drew himself (and at that, he usually seems to pull out entirely fresh work during the derbies) with you taking clip art from another location. Hugely different, wouldn't you say.

You are right, this is about shirt design, not exclusively art skills, but there's a difference between winning with simpler art and winning with someone else's art.

ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
AdderXYU wrote:I know KLS uses vector brushes, spryte has been accused of photo use, and alvin's shirt plain sucked, but Jimiyo creates his own clip-art. Using any of the above (except alvin, again, because to me, his printing got all the effort he put into it) as an example is pretty petty to start, but you are confusing Jimi using clipart he drew himself (and at that, he usually seems to pull out entirely fresh work during the derbies) with you taking clip art from another location. Hugely different, wouldn't you say.

You are right, this is about shirt design, not exclusively art skills, but there's a difference between winning with simpler art and winning with someone else's art.


I give. Anyone who thinks that this statement: "I think we're done with this monkey. Try buying some other clip art. Or as a novel idea, draw it yourself." is a specific request for MORE clip art....simply can't be helped.

eyeslikesugar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
rres wrote:I assumed you were taking a shot at me


Um, no.

rres wrote:but in realty your reference just adds to my point.


Exactly.

rres wrote:Like I said, this stuff goes on here all the time....


Indeed, it's a long standing Woot tradition of printing c l i p art.

rres wrote:accept it or ban it, but don't reject it for some made-up, irrelevant reason.


I can see the reason for the rejection, honestly. It would fit more a dancing theme or even Huckleberry Finn.. but I don't see movement in there.. I see still silhouettes. Still. This was not rejected for clip art.. so everyone who's complaining that's the sole reason needs to get over it.. clip art is been-there-done-that territory; just ask RobGlenn. But.. I do not appreciate you plugging your shirt and how you feel it's such an unfair rejection (bawww!) on my design's comments.. if you have some valid critique (I left examples in my reply post) I appreciate and encourage them.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

rres


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
eyeslikesugar wrote:I can see the reason for the rejection, honestly. It would fit more a dancing theme or even Huckleberry Finn.. but I don't see movement in there.. I see still silhouettes. Still. This was not rejected for clip art.. so everyone who's complaining that's the sole reason needs to get over it.. clip art is been-there-done-that territory; just ask RobGlenn. But.. I do not appreciate you plugging your shirt and how you feel it's such an unfair rejection (bawww!) on my design's comments.. if you have some valid critique (I left examples in my reply post) I appreciate and encourage them.


Sorry if I sounded a bit snarky. I first get nice feedback and a lot of votes (for me) then it gets rejected and the trolls start coming out of the woodwork to start bashing for all the wrong reasons.

As far as your entry, I was not plugging a rejected shirt, I assure you. What would the point be in that. It had no chance of winning when I first entered it and less chance now. As far as your entry, I did like it my only criticism being I didn't get the "motion" theme with it. It looked like the after the fact freeze to me, when someone stabs someone, then watches the look on the stabee's face, and the stabee freezes in disbelief that he just got stabbed. I have nothing negative to say regarding your line work or coloring etc.

Thanks for letting me clarify.

eyeslikesugar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
rres wrote:Sorry if I sounded a bit snarky. I first get nice feedback and a lot of votes (for me) then it gets rejected and the trolls start coming out of the woodwork to start bashing for all the wrong reasons.

As far as your entry, I was not plugging a rejected shirt, I assure you. What would the point be in that. It had no chance of winning when I first entered it and less chance now. As far as your entry, I did like it my only criticism being I didn't get the "motion" theme with it. It looked like the after the fact freeze to me, when someone stabs someone, then watches the look on the stabee's face, and the stabee freezes in disbelief that he just got stabbed. I have nothing negative to say regarding your line work or coloring etc.

Thanks for letting me clarify.



Ok.. I thought you were upset about your rejection, and latched onto the first "That looks even less like motion than MINE!" shirt you saw. Unfair (at least what the designer/others thinks is unfair) rejections happen, all the time. The "after-swish" shot would be my fault in not clarifying the motion lines, then. (you should have said that! =p)
DAMMIT! Could have been such a good shirt, otherwise. *sigh* Oh well, I'll try harder next time. =)

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
mia3mom wrote: when this was rejected for being off-topic, you could have chosen to redesign it and make the movement clearer. You chose to debate the rejection, and afaik no one has successfully appealed a rejection.

Regardless of the on-topic status, you will find that most artists/designers and voters prefer to see original art as opposed to clip art, regardless of the legality. You can see the Rejectionator's opinion about clip art on [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13282}this derby entry[/url].


rres wrote:Thank you as well for supporting me. As you can cleary read and comprehend, they were tired of seeing the same old monkey 5 weeks in a row. They then specifically requested new clip art.

If it was truly banned for being clip art, then the other previous 4 weeks would have been rejected and they were not.

I never debated the rejection, just the reasoning for it. If they said they were banning all clip art then so be it. but to say this entry doesnt reflect motion...well I mean really, come on.


I'm sorry you misunderstood. I wasn't supporting you. I don't think it reflects motion, because there is no clear motion. It looks more like a game of freeze tag where the kids are frozen in place.

Plus, I don't like the use of clip-art in derbies. My designs might not be perfect, but at least they are original. Woot has rejected a lot of clip art, so I would suggest entering original art.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
rres wrote:What exactly is original about live tracing a photo? That is rejected way more than clip art on here. Are you really going to stand up and say your entry is original? You must think people around here are pretty stupid.


Actually, I think people are very smart. I provided a link to one of the pictures I used as the basis, but I used 3 images and manipulated them, edited them, vector-magicked them, and tweaked them endlessly. It took quite a bit of time, and I got input from others here about showing motion and how to place the images on the shirt. I also took the pictures myself (so that was my own art), and I was honest from the beginning about where the basis for the entry originated.

if you say something is clip art from the beginning, people are more likely to be accepting. The folks here are VERY good at finding anything that is remotely similar to an entry, and it is better to be up front.

This is the end of my part of this discussion - you took the conversation away from the intellectual, and while I wanted to clarify my statement, I'm not going to discuss anything with someone being rude.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail