Derby #46: Green

Vine

Rejected because: Too similar to a previous produced shirt: Grow

add a comment

Comments

monkeywithshotgun


quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeywithshotgun
Re: Vine


Yes.

Great artsy shirt, GMV.

nyadolla


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyadolla
monkeywithshotgun wrote:Yes.

Great artsy shirt, GMV.


sorry, but kinda boring...

slcinc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slcinc
Re: Vine


Wow, you are brave to open up the previous discussion about simple growing green leaves.... but than again, that 'other' green leaf sold some shirts-

crayzass1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crayzass1
Re: Vine


i didnt think woot printed on the shoulder.

StrawberryJuice


quality posts: 0 Private Messages StrawberryJuice
Re: Vine


Sweet!! If you missed grow, here it is again!

Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
StrawberryJuice wrote:Sweet!! If you missed grow, here it is again!


HAR HAR

pennglendinning


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennglendinning
Re: Vine


Vector clip art to the rescue!!



riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
pennglendinning wrote:Vector clip art to the rescue!!


I'm perfectly comfortable with people hating this shirt, but it's not clipart.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

emerica


quality posts: 0 Private Messages emerica
Re: Vine


You can print on the shoulder like that?

erll, i'm ogg yo trsf snf dlrrp

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
emerica wrote:You can print on the shoulder like that?


Yes, they can print pretty far up, just not to the seam. I forget the title of the lightning bug shirt from a while back, but it was nearly to the seam.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
riffmaster18 wrote:I'm perfectly comfortable with people hating this shirt, but it's not clipart.


It may not be clip art but it really looks like it. It looks like something that took no time, fabrication, or creativity.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
kylemittskus wrote:It may not be clip art but it really looks like it. It looks like something that took no time, fabrication, or creativity.


Cool, as long as we agree it's not clipart.

On a side note, here's an entry that took me a lot longer:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=17236


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

cdncarlie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdncarlie
riffmaster18 wrote:Yes, they can print pretty far up, just not to the seam. I forget the title of the lightning bug shirt from a while back, but it was nearly to the seam.


that's right. I have the "What Dreams are Made Of" shirt and the angel is fairly high up in the corner but it's not as close as this leaf design.

My shirt.woots: When Doughnuts Fly, Kawaii, Random Shirt x3 (Dino Wino, Killer Bees, Unfriendly Locals),Do the Math, Zombie Season, What Dreams are Made of, Random Shirt x3 (Ghosts!, Dramatic Jackalope, Man-Boy)

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
slcinc wrote:Wow, you are brave to open up the previous discussion about simple growing green leaves.... but than again, that 'other' green leaf sold some shirts-


Prussian Blue sold some CDs. You tell me if sales = value.

And besides the fact that I hate carp like this, I really don't think this will be in the print range. Not that that will stop voting, tho. Wooters want what they want, regardless of copyright, printability, or otherwise.

toastarstrudel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toastarstrudel
kylemittskus wrote:It may not be clip art but it really looks like it. It looks like something that took no time, fabrication, or creativity.


the amount of time it took to make a design isnt going to stop me from finding it appealing.

StrawberryJuice


quality posts: 0 Private Messages StrawberryJuice
riffmaster18 wrote:I'm perfectly comfortable with people hating this shirt, but it's not clipart.


It was a slip of the tongue; please forgive. They meant paintbrush. Same thing, only easier. I have a few paintbrushes, if that's all it takes to win, sweet! I'll be busy tonight! -- it took hours.

haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
Wow, this is gonna be a fun thread to watch. Riffmaster, you are certainly skilled in a variety of styles. It's interesting to see that this design's demographic is still well-represented on woot.

AdderXYU wrote:Prussian Blue sold some CDs. You tell me if sales = value.


What does equal value?

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
StrawberryJuice wrote:It was a slip of the tongue; please forgive. They meant paintbrush. Same thing, only easier. I have a few paintbrushes, if that's all it takes to win, sweet! I'll be busy tonight!


ha ha... Yes, that would have been slightly easier than drawing it - which was also very easy.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
haxrox wrote:
What does equal value?


Value needs to have substance to back it up. It's going to be a melange of opinions cut with respectability and knowledge. Or, to put it another way, if 50 out of 50 reputable graphic designers say Grow looks like a corporate logo, they're more likely to have appraised its actual value better than the 1000+ people who bought the damn thing.

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
AdderXYU wrote:Value needs to have substance to back it up. It's going to be a melange of opinions cut with respectability and knowledge. Or, to put it another way, if 50 out of 50 reputable graphic designers say Grow looks like a corporate logo, they're more likely to have appraised its actual value better than the 1000+ people who bought the damn thing.


Fascinating how you still cannot get off your Grow soapbox Adder.

It was submitted, it placed, it sold, it was delivered, and people like their shirts - and still do after they arrived. So, what was value again?

Oh yeah. Something wanted for the money spent for it.

So, let the 1000+ enjoy what they got, and let the viewers vote for (or not for) this one also, the picture is not going to have it's way with your family or pets, it is just an image.

btw: People who make business logos make a ton of money. You should totally go into that marketplace with your superior knowledge and ride that gravy train. (/sarcasm.)

WarholBot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages WarholBot
Re: Vine


a little too bland for my tastes

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Vine


Oh my... how did this get so many votes?

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Vine


I am surprised by the number of votes, since it looks feminine to me. I guess it's not, but I doubt my husband would wear it.

rufishinjr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rufishinjr
mjc613 wrote:I am surprised by the number of votes, since it looks feminine to me. I guess it's not, but I doubt my husband would wear it.


But it's not too feminine. I think it's successfully unisexy

dsgnGrl


quality posts: 5 Private Messages dsgnGrl
2thFairy wrote:Oh my... how did this get so many votes?


I am wondering the same thing. It is ok, but compared to so many other shirts entered it looks so simple and plain.

fablefire


quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Vine


Nice to know this type of design still has a niche. One of these days when one of my shirts is reckoned, I'll have to try my hand at this minimalism.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
fablefire wrote:Nice to know this type of design still has a niche. One of these days when one of my shirts is reckoned, I'll have to try my hand at this minimalism.


if/when you do, try to make it a minimalist design, and not just some carp slapped on a shirt.

SeedUvPain


quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
AdderXYU wrote:if/when you do, try to make it a minimalist design, and not just some carp slapped on a shirt.


Don't underestimate the power of a carp on a shirt

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
SeedUvPain wrote:Don't underestimate the power of a carp on a shirt


I never do. It has the power to upset my stomach from 80 paces

haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
AdderXYU wrote:Value needs to have substance to back it up. It's going to be a melange of opinions cut with respectability and knowledge. Or, to put it another way, if 50 out of 50 reputable graphic designers say Grow looks like a corporate logo, they're more likely to have appraised its actual value better than the 1000+ people who bought the damn thing.


Except that appraisers use what people will pay to evaluate the actual value, and they use units of money, not imaginary essence-of-art points. If purchases don't make the value, there's no point being frustrated by Grow's (or this) success, because that's all the derby goes by. If you sort the entries by real artistic value, you'll see this near the bottom. (wink)

fablefire


quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
AdderXYU wrote:if/when you do, try to make it a minimalist design, and not just some carp slapped on a shirt.


I'll try, but no guarantees. It'll be done with a 10-15min time limit.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
fablefire wrote:I'll try, but no guarantees. It'll be done with a 10-15min time limit.


guaranteed win, then. Even better, people will defend it by insisting it took hours.

Definitely add leaves. People love leaves. It'll be a unique statement, too... woot's never printed any minimalist leaf designs. They haven't even printed trees.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
haxrox wrote:Except that appraisers use what people will pay to evaluate the actual value, and they use units of money, not imaginary essence-of-art points. If purchases don't make the value, there's no point being frustrated by Grow's (or this) success, because that's all the derby goes by. If you sort the entries by real artistic value, you'll see this near the bottom. (wink)


To the same degree, appraisers aren't always right. The average person might never want an item, making the appraised value low, but you could get lucky and find one dolt who loves it enough to spend 10 times what you spent originally.

On the other hand, if you have a used car that is still valued at $20,000, it doesn't mean you'll ever find anyone willing to buy it at $15,000. Value as you state it is individual. Just because it WILL sell doesn't make it good, or even worth selling. Woot's had plenty of shirts that could have sold like crazy if they'd let them print, but they axed them for not fitting their standards. If value is only about trucking in money, I'd think woot would have a much looser set of standards.

Though this is really a moot point to argue with someone who got a bestselling shirt by slapping some text over a picture and pressing "enter" a bunch of times until it formed a raven.

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
Re: Vine


yikes...I didn't realize what I was getting into when I did this. I thought it looked nice and subtle on a tee but didn't mean to anger anyone.
I certainly don't claim that this took hours - it took one or two minutes. I apologize if it seems like a cheap entry - I expected the ones I put effort into to do much better than this one.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

Raikus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raikus
riffmaster18 wrote:yikes...I didn't realize what I was getting into when I did this. I thought it looked nice and subtle on a tee but didn't mean to anger anyone.
I certainly don't claim that this took hours - it took one or two minutes. I apologize if it seems like a cheap entry - I expected the ones I put effort into to do much better than this one.

Hey, you tapped into something people obviously like. Don't apologize for it. I know what you mean about the designs you put your blood and sweat into not performing well, but the Woot voter is a psychological mystery.

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
Re: Vine


Wow, just reading through some of these comments, alot of people take this stuff way too seriously.

It's a t-shirt for the love of God, a t-shirt.

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
riffmaster18 wrote:yikes...I didn't realize what I was getting into when I did this. I thought it looked nice and subtle on a tee but didn't mean to anger anyone.
I certainly don't claim that this took hours - it took one or two minutes. I apologize if it seems like a cheap entry - I expected the ones I put effort into to do much better than this one.


I agree with the other poster who said no need to apologize. You had an idea and entered it, people happen to like it. I say congrats.

Jambando


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jambando
AdderXYU wrote:Value needs to have substance to back it up. It's going to be a melange of opinions cut with respectability and knowledge. Or, to put it another way, if 50 out of 50 reputable graphic designers say Grow looks like a corporate logo, they're more likely to have appraised its actual value better than the 1000+ people who bought the damn thing.


Too bad those 50 reputable graphic designers don't determine who wins the derby.
I think you miss the point that value is up to the individual. You are always angry at the woot collective because of this. Value in the sense of these contests is not measured by time, energy, skill, or anything other than... VOTES! If Grow looks like a corporate logo, but sells more than your shirt design, he wins. He has the money, you don't. End of story. The individuals who voted for/bought the shirt though it was worth a value of $10 and that is why it sold.

fablefire


quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
Jambando wrote:Too bad those 50 reputable graphic designers don't determine who wins the derby.
I think you miss the point that value is up to the individual. You are always angry at the woot collective because of this. Value in the sense of these contests is not measured by time, energy, skill, or anything other than... VOTES! If Grow looks like a corporate logo, but sells more than your shirt design, he wins. He has the money, you don't. End of story. The individuals who voted for/bought the shirt though it was worth a value of $10 and that is why it sold.


I think the point he's saying is - It's a sad state of affairs for those wanting to up the ante at shirt.woot.

Woot will never be the artistic site that DBH or even Threadless is. It's the poorman's shirt site where the voters enjoy shirts one might find at Hot Topic or K-mart. They, more often than not, reward shirts that have little artistic value. They do it because they like it though. When you can't change the audience, you either change your designs to the lowest common denominator so to speak, or you leave.

Really, I'm glad that this easy, no-effort junk wins on this site. It means that I can make an easy $1000 too.

If I want cool and artistic I'll go to DBH.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
fablefire wrote: When you can't change the audience, you either change your designs to the lowest common denominator so to speak, or you leave.


There's a third option also, but it's way less profitable: do what you do anyway and hope that some day, the votes align. It's a pretty carp way to make $1000, but if anyone is seriously reliant on woot for a paycheck and doesn't have a little staff square by their name, that's kinda sad.

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
riffmaster18 wrote:yikes...I didn't realize what I was getting into when I did this. I thought it looked nice and subtle on a tee but didn't mean to anger anyone.
I certainly don't claim that this took hours - it took one or two minutes. I apologize if it seems like a cheap entry - I expected the ones I put effort into to do much better than this one.



If you were around when Grow was in the Derby (and I think you were probably lurking somewhere), you are keenly aware.

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
snarkygal wrote:If you were around when Grow was in the Derby (and I think you were probably lurking somewhere), you are keenly aware.


I was not aware of the impending drama, nor was I aware that we knew one another.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
Re: Vine


Way too much drama. Can we change the topic to 90's sitcoms?

I always liked Step By Step, and Full House was one of my all time favorites, because that Michelle always had the cutest things to say. Thinking of her spouting out, "How Rude" brings a smile to my face.

What about you guys?

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
TurboGraphx16 wrote:Way too much drama. Can we change the topic to 90's sitcoms?

I always liked Step By Step, and Full House was one of my all time favorites, because that Michelle always had the cutest things to say. Thinking of her spouting out, "How Rude" brings a smile to my face.

What about you guys?


Good ol' Jesse and the Rippers. Saved by the Bell, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers - all the cheesiest and most amazing television you could pack into your childhood.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
riffmaster18 wrote:Good ol' Jesse and the Rippers. Saved by the Bell, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers - all the cheesiest and most amazing television you could pack into your childhood.


The greatest thing about Perfect Strangers was the theme song, I'd have that stuck in my head for days after it played.

We also can't forget Who's The Boss, as Tony Danza taught all of us that even former baseball players aren't above doing domestic work for a living. Plus, the show had Alyssa Milano, and she grew into a woman who looks darn hot as a genie ...



riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
TurboGraphx16 wrote:The greatest thing about Perfect Strangers was the theme song, I'd have that stuck in my head for days after it played.

We also can't forget Who's The Boss, as Tony Danza taught all of us that even former baseball players aren't above doing domestic work for a living. Plus, the show had Alyssa Milano, and she grew into a woman who looks darn hot as a genie ...


Ha ha...Great points. On the topic of that era, I should also compliment the fact that your screenname is Bonk's Adventure compatible - for me, he was right up there with Sonic and Mario.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
riffmaster18 wrote:Ha ha...Great points. On the topic of that era, I should also compliment the fact that your screenname is Bonk's Adventure compatible - for me, he was right up there with Sonic and Mario.


It really is an underrated system. I'm thrilled that so many of its games are being released on the Wii Virtual Console so that younger audiences can enjoy them.

Speaking of video games from the 90's, know what was awesome, NBA Jam. I liked Arch Rivals too, but Jam was so much better, specifically because it allowed you to be Bill Clinton. I love any game that allows me to nail 3 pointers with a Commander In Chief.

Basketball games nowadays lack that feature.

Spyder228


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spyder228

Absolutely HATE the placement. I don't think I'll ever like a shirt with placement like this.

Lhyzz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhyzz
Re: Vine


I'm pretty sure this is outside the print area... but I guess we'll wait for the say-so of the wootmasters.

Meanwhile, if you like this shirt, check out this one: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=17185

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Lhyzz wrote:I'm pretty sure this is outside the print area... but I guess we'll wait for the say-so of the wootmasters.

Meanwhile, if you like this shirt, check out this one: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=17185


Don't advertise your shirt in someone else's thread!

Lhyzz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhyzz
2thFairy wrote:Don't advertise your shirt in someone else's thread!


I didn't know that was frowned upon. My bad.

cyradis2003


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyradis2003
fablefire wrote:Nice to know this type of design still has a niche. One of these days when one of my shirts is reckoned, I'll have to try my hand at this minimalism.


I hope Scurvy is never reckoned. It is an animated fruit pirate ... it started the landslide and deserves a place in eternity for that.

Plus, I love mine and I am often afraid to wear it anywhere messy in case I stain it

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail