Derby #63: Art as Text
+182

80's Player

80's Player
add a comment

Comments

Maximillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian
Re: 80's Player


I miss the 2-button days of gaming. I used to be a gaming rock-star. A real player.


(The comp doesn't show the cables as black, but they are. JPEG compression seems to have shifted the color slightly.)

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: 80's Player


I like it! (and they look black to me)


testure


quality posts: 0 Private Messages testure
Re: 80's Player


bleh, another NES cash in. they need to make NES-shirt.woot.com and get it over with so we can see some original designs in these derbies.

Maximillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian
testure wrote:bleh, another NES cash in. they need to make NES-shirt.woot.com and get it over with so we can see some original designs in these derbies.


Are you outraged when bird shirts do well too?

lexingtondk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexingtondk

As far as NES designs go, this one is especially appealing to me. GMV. The only thing I'd have done differently is avoid putting two zappers on there.

Maximillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian
lexingtondk wrote:As far as NES designs go, this one is especially appealing to me. GMV. The only thing I'd have done differently is avoid putting two zappers on there.


I tried and tried to come up with a way around that, but I like the way it turned out. I didn't want to mix NES with anything else, so I was stuck playing with controllers and cartridges.

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

original ideas and original designs are apparently not allowed here. it's all about taking other peoples' proven creations and rehashing them in the name of 'nostalgia'. it's just wrong; and yet it gets the votes. who's really to blame here--the "artists" (and i use this term very loosely) who are merely trying to cash in on someone else's work, or woot for allowing it? i say both.

Maximillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian
byrbwr wrote:original ideas and original designs are apparently not allowed here. it's all about taking other peoples' proven creations and rehashing them in the name of 'nostalgia'. it's just wrong; and yet it gets the votes. who's really to blame here--the "artists" (and i use this term very loosely) who are merely trying to cash in on someone else's work, or woot for allowing it? i say both.


For someone who likes to complain, you don't seem to actually do anything creative. At this point, any "art" or "creativity" can be called "rehashing" as it's all been done before.

Why would you come to a site and instead of being helpful or supportive, carp on people's ideas and rant? If you have something to add, go for it, but it seems like a big waste of time for you and us if you're not looking to be helpful.

Thanks for pumping up awareness of my shirt even if you hate it.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
Maximillian wrote:For someone who likes to complain, you don't seem to actually do anything creative. At this point, any "art" or "creativity" can be called "rehashing" as it's all been done before.

Why would you come to a site and instead of being helpful or supportive, carp on people's ideas and rant? If you have something to add, go for it, but it seems like a big waste of time for you and us if you're not looking to be helpful.


I have no feelings for or against your shirt. However, I disagree strongly with your rancorous remarks to those who negatively criticize your design. I would say that sometimes (certainly not all), the negative remarks are helpful. Sometimes (again, not all), they point out things that should be addressed.

I also agree with you that originality will never truly exist.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Maximillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian
kylemittskus wrote:However, I disagree strongly with your rancorous remarks to those who negatively criticize your design. I would say that sometimes (certainly not all), the negative remarks are helpful. Sometimes (again, not all), they point out things that should be addressed.


testure and byrbwr seem to only be here to stir up trouble and tear everyone down for no reason. I feel like if anyone comes and posts a comment, negative or not, on a shirt that I've posted, I'm fully within my right to call them on any BS that they're slinging around.

I mean no disrespect to the community and don't mean to turn anyone off with my comments. It's just frustrating that people are here only to bait and harass the artists.

testure


quality posts: 0 Private Messages testure
Maximillian wrote:harass the artists.


don't flatter yourself.. anybody can trace a nintendo zapper and arrange it into a shape that resembles a letter. Your stupid cord idea isn't even original, I've already lambasted another moron using the same concept (see "legacy"). If I really wanted to do a joke submission that rivals yours I could, but honestly- it's not really worth the 10 minutes of my time it would take to rip off 'your' idea and present it as my own.

Fact: NES/Cake/Post-it/etc references gets votes on woot. everybody knows it. One in maybe a hundred actually makes it to the fog, one in maybe two hundred actually wins a derby. Your 'design' isn't even built with the intention of winning.. it's built to buttress your ego and get some internet back-pats for having such a clever idea. I'm here to tell you it's neither original nor clever, and I reserve back-patting for designs that are original, or at the very least compelling. Yours is neither.

I'm not here to stir up trouble for no reason. I'm here as quality control, and I can assure you that my critiques are genuine and not 'flame bait'.

If you take anything from this post, make it the following advice: Give up the gimmicks, and don't copy other people's bad ideas.

Maximillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian
testure wrote:Re: 80's Player

don't flatter yourself.. anybody can trace a nintendo zapper and arrange it into a shape that resembles a letter. Your stupid cord idea isn't even original, I've already lambasted another moron using the same concept (see "legacy"). If I really wanted to do a joke submission that rivals yours I could, but honestly- it's not really worth the 10 minutes of my time it would take to rip off 'your' idea and present it as my own.

I'm not here to stir up trouble for no reason. I'm here as quality control, and I can assure you that my critiques are genuine and not 'flame bait'.


Clearly you're not going to change anyone's mind about this and pretending you can best everyone by saying you could do better in a few minutes is just childish. Saying you're quality control is another joke.

I'm still in not convinced that you're here to do anything beyond talk big and be the center of attention.

DexterousCerebrum


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DexterousCerebrum
Maximillian wrote:Clearly you're not going to change anyone's mind about this and pretending you can best everyone by saying you could do better in a few minutes is just childish. Saying you're quality control is another joke.

I'm still in not convinced that you're here to do anything beyond talk big and be the center of attention.


Quit bickering, you guys sound like 9-yr olds. If people do not like the shirt, or if the idea has 'been done' or it's not creative enough, they won't vote for it, and they won't buy it. The end.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
DexterousCerebrum wrote:Quit bickering, you guys sound like 9-yr olds. If people do not like the shirt, or if the idea has 'been done' or it's not creative enough, they won't vote for it, and they won't buy it. The end.


That has been proven to be untrue for 60+ derbies. In fact, much the opposite.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
AdderXYU wrote:That has been proven to be untrue for 60+ derbies. In fact, much the opposite.


I was wondering where you were.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
testure wrote:bleh, another NES cash in. they need to make NES-shirt.woot.com and get it over with so we can see some original designs in these derbies.


I'd much rather have this than more original Birds, Octupus, Scared food, Trees, Turtles, or clip art.


Anyways, GMV.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

kjdal88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjdal88
kylemittskus wrote:I have no feelings for or against your shirt. However, I disagree strongly with your rancorous remarks to those who negatively criticize your design. I would say that sometimes (certainly not all), the negative remarks are helpful. Sometimes (again, not all), they point out things that should be addressed.


There is a difference between constructive criticism and negative criticism. Constructive points out things that could have been done better and negative just criticizes for the sake of being hateful. What people are saying about this shirt doesnt help make future designs better, it just bashes current ones. If what you are going to say isnt positive or in the least bit helpful, take it somewhere else.

I personally think this shirt is great and I will continue to vote for any Retro Gaming shirts I see, regardless of the derby they are in, and if one happens to win, I will be one of the people buying it.

Awesome shirt Maximillian. Keep up the sweet retro gaming work!

vizzle07


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vizzle07
Re: 80's Player


Man, there's a lot of j e r k s on woot. Nice shirt man, gmv.

cre7286


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cre7286
vizzle07 wrote:Man, there's a lot of j e r k s on woot. Nice shirt man, gmv.


Love the design, would have liked to see the power glove utilized...

midorichi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages midorichi
cobolisdead wrote:I'd much rather have this than more original Birds, Octupus, Scared food, Trees, Turtles, or clip art.


Ditto to the birds... *giggles*

Love the Zapper as the Y! =]

thatrobert


quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail