Derby #77: Alternate History
+550

LPod- Analog won the format war

LPod- Analog won the format war
add a comment

Comments

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


As a major fan of vinyl, I think this would be the only way portable audio would work in the analog age. I seem to remember an LP player that was "portable"- you slipped the album in a side slot and it would play internally using a tracking arm. Bet it wasn't unskippable

justmissliz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmissliz
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


I really like this, can you make the design bigger? I think it would be more effective.

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


Nice execution. But sadly I can not vote for an apple shirt. I dispise that company and all of there capitalist products...

okay i voted, but i still hate the company and decided I can't take it out on you.

[MOD: No advertising please]

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


@justmissliz- I'm afraid if I make it real big, folks won't want a large chick on their chest. Smaller, it just seems more subtle

@lkackman- I understand. I did not like these ads when they came out either, and I understand people not liking how Apple has always run their ship as a monopoly, but I thought it was a striking image and supported analog sound.

Thanks folks!

carlover323


quality posts: 0 Private Messages carlover323
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


very original!!! GMV!! i'm (hopefully) in for 2!!!
AWESOME!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SkekTek wrote:As a major fan of vinyl, I think this would be the only way portable audio would work in the analog age. I seem to remember an LP player that was "portable"- you slipped the album in a side slot and it would play internally using a tracking arm. Bet it wasn't unskippable


So it's real? I was going to suggest that someone should build this.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
eHalcyon wrote:So it's real? I was going to suggest that someone should build this.


No, it's not real... but there was a "portable record" player once upon a time (ran on 9V batteries). This was in the 80's- our local public library had one when I worked there as a "page", though I never remember it being used.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SkekTek wrote:No, it's not real... but there was a "portable record" player once upon a time (ran on 9V batteries). This was in the 80's- our local public library had one when I worked there as a "page", though I never remember it being used.


In that case - someone should build this.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

wats8976


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wats8976
eHalcyon wrote:In that case - someone should build this.


LP - od

clever, clever.

waacodemon


quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


very clever, GMV

I once ate a cricket.

AnnaJo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


My fav so far. Congrats on using the silhouette with the red!

bbsohh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbsohh

i love it.

i need it.

ssbaudi


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ssbaudi
SkekTek wrote:@justmissliz- I'm afraid if I make it real big, folks won't want a large chick on their chest. Smaller, it just seems more subtle


Thanks folks!


big shirts are in, and the design here is detailed enough to be blown up quite a bit. i suggest that you make it a lot bigger and resubmit it because IMO it looks awkward with a small image right in the middle.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
ssbaudi wrote:big shirts are in, and the design here is detailed enough to be blown up quite a bit. i suggest that you make it a lot bigger and resubmit it because IMO it looks awkward with a small image right in the middle.


I might try it, but I'm afraid that I'll dilute the vote if I sub a second design... wondering if I should do it on orange

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


I seriously hope this gets back in the fog, as I'd definitely buy this ...

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 18 Private Messages PhilSandifer
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


I like smaller, but my objection (nitpicking, I am well aware) is that the record player has a rounded style that is in sharp and unsatisfying contrast both with the ads being parodied and the rest of the shirt. We are imagining an Apple-made portable record player. So the aesthetic of the player should be Apple-like, and iPod like. That would entail rounded corners and edges, but still basically straight edges - the edges would not curve.

The contrast makes the joke less sharp to me. It's a funny concept, but it doesn't have the punch it should.

christodd87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages christodd87
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


WOW! I hope this wins, but seriously, can you make it a tad bit bigger? I love the concept! As far as making it look like an apple product,, why? Apple is digital, this is analog, run with the concept.


my opinion,
Chris

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
christodd87 wrote:WOW! I hope this wins, but seriously, can you make it a tad bit bigger? I love the concept! As far as making it look like an apple product,, why? Apple is digital, this is analog, run with the concept.


my opinion,
Chris


There's a version that's bigger... it was submitted a few hours ago...

Thanks for your opinion!

zea3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3
eHalcyon wrote:So it's real? I was going to suggest that someone should build this.


Ask your mom about the Close and Play! Cool little battery operated record player that played 45's. Most of the over 30 crowd should remember this!

JadenKale


quality posts: 186 Private Messages JadenKale
zea3 wrote:Ask your mom about the Close and Play! Cool little battery operated record player that played 45's. Most of the over 30 crowd should remember this!


My mother had one of those. I've seen it a few times when we've moved around. She took it to school to play some old kid-songs records near Halloween, along with our copy of Thriller on LP to lend to another teacher (yes, I own a copy of Thriller on LP XP ). A little boy from her class was absolutely in awe of it, and when his mom came to pick him up, he blathered on and on about how the teacher had an old fashioned CD player.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
PhilSandifer wrote:I like smaller, but my objection (nitpicking, I am well aware) is that the record player has a rounded style that is in sharp and unsatisfying contrast both with the ads being parodied and the rest of the shirt. We are imagining an Apple-made portable record player. So the aesthetic of the player should be Apple-like, and iPod like. That would entail rounded corners and edges, but still basically straight edges - the edges would not curve.

The contrast makes the joke less sharp to me. It's a funny concept, but it doesn't have the punch it should.


Eh? The original iBook is curvy.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
eHalcyon wrote:Eh? The original iBook is curvy.


The iToiletseat?

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 18 Private Messages PhilSandifer
eHalcyon wrote:Eh? The original iBook is curvy.


And is not terribly iPod like. The closest to this sort of heavy rounding on the iPod line (or really, any line launched after 2000) is the nano and the mini, and even those have a clean rectangular shape from the dimension the record player is being looked at.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
PhilSandifer wrote:And is not terribly iPod like. The closest to this sort of heavy rounding on the iPod line (or really, any line launched after 2000) is the nano and the mini, and even those have a clean rectangular shape from the dimension the record player is being looked at.


No, it's not iPod-like. It's not even similar to second and third generation iBooks. But that's the point - this is an LPod. Vinyl is as "first gen" as you're going to get, so why not stick to that?

Probably not Skek's intention, but it still makes sense. You could argue that a trademark feature of Apple products is their tiny size and lightweight portability. But would it make sense to make the LPod tiny? Not really.

This is stupid. I know you're just nitpicking (since you said so yourself), so I don't know what compelled me to nitpick your nitpicking. My apologies.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

nitrousoxide52


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nitrousoxide52
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


The hair ruins it for me on this one. It looks like the person hasn't showered in weeks.

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 18 Private Messages PhilSandifer
eHalcyon wrote:No, it's not iPod-like. It's not even similar to second and third generation iBooks. But that's the point - this is an LPod. Vinyl is as "first gen" as you're going to get, so why not stick to that?

Probably not Skek's intention, but it still makes sense. You could argue that a trademark feature of Apple products is their tiny size and lightweight portability. But would it make sense to make the LPod tiny? Not really.

This is stupid. I know you're just nitpicking (since you said so yourself), so I don't know what compelled me to nitpick your nitpicking. My apologies.


Oh, come on. If you can't nitpick design decisions, what can you nitpick? Design is the art of nitpicking.

For me, the issue is one of a sharp joke. The record is the incongruous part of the joke. So it should be the lone incongruity in the parody. Now, that spills over to other things - the record player is necessarily the wrong size for an Apple device. And in that regard, the cumbersome backpack is brilliant.

But the shape of the device is not something that descends from the incongruity. So it should remain congruous. Otherwise you dilute the impact of the funny incongruity.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
PhilSandifer wrote:Oh, come on. If you can't nitpick design decisions, what can you nitpick? Design is the art of nitpicking.

For me, the issue is one of a sharp joke. The record is the incongruous part of the joke. So it should be the lone incongruity in the parody. Now, that spills over to other things - the record player is necessarily the wrong size for an Apple device. And in that regard, the cumbersome backpack is brilliant.

But the shape of the device is not something that descends from the incongruity. So it should remain congruous. Otherwise you dilute the impact of the funny incongruity.


For some reason I find this whole line of dialogue extremely funny. I'm glad I hit a cord strong enough with folks that they're willing to endlessly decompose the concept.

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


Such a tight race this week, I really hope this stays in the fog though ...

nitrousoxide52


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nitrousoxide52
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


Is it me or does this look kind of like clipart? I don't mean it's made of clipart, just the style is very clipart-ish.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
nitrousoxide52 wrote:Is it me or does this look kind of like clipart? I don't mean it's made of clipart, just the style is very clipart-ish.


If you consider silhouetted humans clip artish, then yes, I guess it would evoke that look. But I was simply trying to recreate those iPod ads without actually having any in front of me to bias it... The whole design is 100% original though, and drawn without any references (which probably explains the hair ) But I'm very happy with the end look.

chamelean75


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chamelean75
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


This is my fav shirt. I hope it wins!!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
chamelean75 wrote:This is my fav shirt. I hope it wins!!


Thanks! Unlikely it'll claw its way back into the fog, but the good news is that if it slips off the print and HM lists I can eventually offer this myself in a wide range of t-shirt colors... I love optimism!

ersamia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ersamia
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


I agree that this should be at least a little bigger. If you're worried that it'll be too feminine and won't appeal to men, you should've made it less feminine. (replacing the heels w/ other footwear might have done the trick)

otherwise very nice

ersamia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ersamia
ersamia wrote:I agree that this should be at least a little bigger. If you're worried that it'll be too feminine and won't appeal to men, you should've made it less feminine. (replacing the heels w/ other footwear might have done the trick)

otherwise very nice


nevermind, saw v2

KessiTheNinja


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KessiTheNinja
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


Okay I really like this one a lot!!! Pretty much epic! but is everything on anyone else's computer showing up as "rejected"? Cause every single one of the entrys on mine are rejected!?!?!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
KessiTheNinja wrote:Okay I really like this one a lot!!! Pretty much epic! but is everything on anyone else's computer showing up as "rejected"? Cause every single one of the entrys on mine are rejected!?!?!


Thanks for the props!

It's been a brutal derby. I haven't seen your entries, but if it's got a sniff of fiction or something not historical, it's booted out. Unless it's in first place.

schirfmt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schirfmt

Damn I'm REALLY sad to see this didn't make it because I really wanted one. Definitely keep this around for a resub.

Stexe


quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe

Eh, this was a good design, but it should have been larger.

I don't care about wearing a dancing girl on my shirt, I like people to be able to SEE what I'm wearing...

Anyway, good job and maybe next time you'll win!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Stexe wrote:Eh, this was a good design, but it should have been larger.

I don't care about wearing a dancing girl on my shirt, I like people to be able to SEE what I'm wearing...

Anyway, good job and maybe next time you'll win!


There was a larger version submitted as a v2 which ended up around 21st place...

Since it didn't get selected as an HM, I'll be offering both designs on my own on a variety of shirt colors...

megedwar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megedwar
Re: LPod- Analog won the format war


Great Design... I want it!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.