Derby #81: Heartbreak
+741

Loss

add a comment

Comments

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
Re: Loss


Alternate title: Your loss is my lunch

This is a tale of loss, tragedy... And sacrifice.
I would like to thank all the fish out there who have given up their loves to bring me this delicious meal.
Let me know what you think! My challenge was not to use any hearts this week, hah. :o



Updated closeup, Click for full size.

parrotworks


quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: Loss


The true beauty of illustration is the ability to get a fish to cry underwater

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
Re: Loss

I saw this in the thread before it was put up and I like how you took out the ring. I would really love this shirt since I love sushi (eel is my favorite!), however, there's something bothering me about the green accent on the nori. Maybe it is too bright green? I think it would have been better as just black with the white accent.

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
Zenverse wrote:I saw this in the thread before it was put up and I like how you took out the ring. I would really love this shirt since I love sushi (eel is my favorite!), however, there's something bothering me about the green accent on the nori. Maybe it is too bright green? I think it would have been better as just black with the white accent.


Thank you i do appreciate peoples' suggestions; sometimes it's hard for me to critique my own work properly. T_T I do agree that taking out the ring helped!

Eel is my favorite, too, haha.

mybell


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell
Re: Loss


how very tragic, I love it, I want it, I hope it wins, so I can part with ten bucks and wear it.

sailormoontsu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu
Re: Loss


This just rocks! I laughed so hard when I saw the initial sketch...and this is just even better. Great job!

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
Re: Loss


love it, very nice illustration


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: Loss


I love the use of colors in this! I had no idea that this would look so good. Great Job!

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
sailormoontsu wrote:This just rocks! I laughed so hard when I saw the initial sketch...and this is just even better. Great job!


Thanks! :O for anyone curious, this is what the original sketch looked like:



Things i changed based on peoples' suggestions: took out ring.. also added some white lines to emphasize areas that would normally be a bit dark. It's amazing how much tweaking you can do when you think you're already done T_T

kitcatbrat


quality posts: 23 Private Messages kitcatbrat
Re: Loss


wow....morbid

ack154


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
Re: Loss


Not sure I would actually buy it (don't like sushi and I really don't need another brown shirt) but the colors on this are awesome.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Loss


No offense, because I think it's a very good illustration, but can someone explain to me the love of the tortured food shirts where the whole one somehow recognizes the one that has been chopped, sliced, diced, etc., i.e. Jimmy is that you? Seems there are so many of them.

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
heartluce wrote:No offense, because I think it's a very good illustration, but can someone explain to me the love of the tortured food shirts where the whole one somehow recognizes the one that has been chopped, sliced, diced, etc., i.e. Jimmy is that you? Seems there are so many of them.


I don't know; I wasn't previously aware of this? I tend to have a pretty cynical/dark sense of humor, so many of my designs are a little bittersweet. Lots of them involve others' misfortune.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
lokklyn wrote:I don't know; I wasn't previously aware of this? I tend to have a pretty cynical/dark sense of humor, so many of my designs are a little bittersweet. Lots of them involve others' misfortune.


No, I believe you and I know you're new here, so welcome, but, we've had a lot of them here - printed and submitted. People seem to like tortured food I guess ;-) (When Life Gives You Lemons, and Donut Panic are/were also very popular).

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
heartluce wrote:No, I believe you and I know you're new here, so welcome, but, we've had a lot of them here - printed and submitted. People seem to like tortured food I guess ;-) (When Life Gives You Lemons, and Donut Panic are/were also very popular).


Yeah, I guess it's some weird phenomenon @_@ it's one of the first things I think of for animations, at least, and it's prob natural for me to think of them for shirts as well.
ps i have a fascination with microwaving peeps.. and this youtube video about a poor chocolate bunny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26j9oU7eaI

DrkRonin


quality posts: 12 Private Messages DrkRonin
lokklyn wrote:Yeah, I guess it's some weird phenomenon @_@ it's one of the first things I think of for animations, at least, and it's prob natural for me to think of them for shirts as well.
ps i have a fascination with microwaving peeps.. and this youtube video about a poor chocolate bunny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26j9oU7eaI


this is amazing!

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Loss


Coming from a fairly inexperienced sushi eater, do they actually make any sushi out of goldfish? I don't know if I could eat that.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
tgentry wrote:Coming from a fairly inexperienced sushi eater, do they actually make any sushi out of goldfish? I don't know if I could eat that.


Goldfish are basically carp, and they eat carp in japan, so hypothetically...

It's a distraught creature looking at a food item made of the same sort of creature. Don't put so much thought into it. The voters sure aren't.

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
tgentry wrote:Coming from a fairly inexperienced sushi eater, do they actually make any sushi out of goldfish? I don't know if I could eat that.


They typically do not - as far as I know??? Not the tiny goldfish I'm thinking of at least. For the purpose of the design, I made the fish pink. I'm not sure what kind of fish this is, but the sushi fish is most certainly either tuna or salmon. I would be extremely grossed out by goldfish sushi. T^T Don't worry though, the pictured sushi is delicious.

This fish is also way too big for the bowl, but I couldn't justify making a huge tank for the sake of realism. T^T

magicalchuchutrain


quality posts: 1 Private Messages magicalchuchutrain
Re: Loss

Too adorable. I love the concept. Also love how it is not seasonal like some of the other designs. I like to wear my shirts more than twice a year

tehrara


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehrara
Re: Loss


This is so cool. I can feel his pain

whoisjeb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whoisjeb
Re: Loss


Ha! This one got a chuckle out of me. I love the artwork and the choice of colors, though I haven't decided yet if this is something I would wear.

Honored


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Honored
Re: Loss


I think there's something wrong with me.. I could NOT stop laughing when I saw this shirt! XD

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
heartluce wrote:No, I believe you and I know you're new here, so welcome, but, we've had a lot of them here - printed and submitted. People seem to like tortured food I guess ;-) (When Life Gives You Lemons, and Donut Panic are/were also very popular).


ahuhu, his join date is about 21 days before yours...almost 2 years ago.

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse

I think the type of fish in the tank is really irrelevant to the design. Although, the color and the lines in the sushi make it look kinda like salmon (almost dark enough to be tuna). Maybe the fish could be perceived as a salmon??

I'm still on the fence about this one...it's that nori! XP

But I wish you goodluck!

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
Re: Loss





no offence to the artist, but this should be rejected for being a fish in a bowl.
i mean sokowa got rejected out of the fog because one cant have a fish in a bowl, its only fair.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
elwayman02 wrote:ahuhu, his join date is about 21 days before yours...almost 2 years ago.


Sorry, meant to say she just started submitting (I think) recently.

Reaper621


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Reaper621
Re: Loss


I like this one, it's clever. Got my vote.

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
peppersabaddog wrote:no offence to the artist, but this should be rejected for being a fish in a bowl.
i mean sokowa got rejected out of the fog because one cant have a fish in a bowl, its only fair.

Summation of the following argument: fish in a bowl ≠ fish playing golf/baseball in a bowl.
I am unsure why the Sokowa shirt is the archetypal rejected design to which all (of mine?) are compared. I shouldn't need to defend myself on this one, but here's a quick thought anyways:

I looked up the shirt, and it's clear to me that the alleged issue was the design's striking similarity to a Far side comic in which fish were playing sports/breaking glass inside a bowl. Mine is several levels removed from this concept; what seems more important to me is what the fish is DOING inside the bowl, not its placement in a bowl.

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
Re: Loss


Re: heartluce: You are correct. I've been a long-time Woot member, but have never been active in the Shirt.Woot community until three or four weeks ago. I'm not really aware of the history of the derbies, but am gradually learning as I go.

Re: Honored: Thank you! :')) Glad to know I made you laugh a lot!

Re: Reaper: Thanks :o

Re: whoisjeb: You should wear it :') unless you are deathly allergic to sushi, or really hate fish. Actually, you should wear it if you hate fish. Maybe you shouldn't if you really love fish - or maybe you should just wear it regardless.

Re: Magical: Yeah, my MAIN concern with this derby was that it'd turn into a bunch of literally broken hearts.. everywhere. D: Which I'm not personally ok with wearing. This would signify that I am upset about a love lost - which would never be true, as I am a robot and uncapable of feeling sad.

Sorry if I missed anyone. I'm too lazy to use the quote feature. T_T reposted this because it made my other entry really huge T_T

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
lokklyn wrote:Alternate title: Your loss is my lunch

This is a tale of loss, tragedy... And sacrifice.
I would like to thank all the fish out there who have given up their loves to bring me this delicious meal.
Let me know what you think! My challenge was not to use any hearts this week, hah. :o



Sorry, that's a placeholder "detail" image T_T I left the file at home, will update when I get back.


I could have made that goal too.
But then I was noodling about last night, made a second, and completely blew it.

Excellent design, great art, great subtext, I voted for it.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
heartluce wrote:No offense, because I think it's a very good illustration, but can someone explain to me the love of the tortured food shirts where the whole one somehow recognizes the one that has been chopped, sliced, diced, etc., i.e. Jimmy is that you? Seems there are so many of them.

It is not unusual for people to use humor to deal with a difficult emotional topic. In addition, some people just prefer humorous shirts. The designs show up because the voters have enjoyed and voted for them in the past.

veemon147


quality posts: 0 Private Messages veemon147
Re: Loss


Oh, wow. Regardless of which shirts win the fog, after seeing this entry I'm sure I'll be sorely tempted to get at least one of them. I love the shirt, but I think it would be much better without the knife. It detracts from the central focus on the bowl and table, there's enough "horror" to the design already, and the ginger and wasabi are the only extra touches necessary to make the shirt seem authentic.

The thing that would bother me every time I wear it, though, is the blood pooling away from the knife. Why is there blood? It's sushi.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Loss


awesome concept and illustration!

prateeko


quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko
veemon147 wrote:Oh, wow. Regardless of which shirts win the fog, after seeing this entry I'm sure I'll be sorely tempted to get at least one of them. I love the shirt, but I think it would be much better without the knife. It detracts from the central focus on the bowl and table, there's enough "horror" to the design already, and the ginger and wasabi are the only extra touches necessary to make the shirt seem authentic.

The thing that would bother me every time I wear it, though, is the blood pooling away from the knife. Why is there blood? It's sushi.


Yeah, this is a sweet design but the blood on the knife is a bit much/unnecessary. That said, I'll prolly get it when it prints

Navidson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Navidson
Re: Loss


I didn't notice this was yours until I saw you comment on mine, and great work! Took me a sec to "get it" but I really like the illustration. I don't see any goldfish either, so I wouldn't worry about it. Nice use of colour too.

EinnaFK


quality posts: 8 Private Messages EinnaFK

Ha! This is spectacular. VOTED. I want to wear this to my favorite sushi restuarant.

Guntasaurus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Guntasaurus

I had hope when you first came a few weeks ago, but everything you design is juvenile, cartoony, piles of dung.

Could you please stop? We have enough cutesy, cartoony, junk already.

friderspog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages friderspog
re: loss


I love the shirt, except for the bloody knife. just a knife would be okay, but I think the blood goes to far.

rockhopper323


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockhopper323
Re: Loss


i think the blood on the knife is a tad too much

woot x 7
shirt.woot x 9

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
lucky1988 wrote:awesome concept and illustration!


Thank you! :') And thanks everyone for your support.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
AdderXYU wrote:Goldfish are basically carp, and they eat carp in japan, so hypothetically...

It's a distraught creature looking at a food item made of the same sort of creature. Don't put so much thought into it. The voters sure aren't.


Not trying to start fights, since I like the picture that I'm linking too...

But are you going to shun InfinityLoop forever for this:http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=27530 or is it somehow more clever so it's okay?

Guntasaurus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Guntasaurus
sekiyoku wrote:Not trying to start fights, since I like the picture that I'm linking too...

But are you going to shun InfinityLoop forever for this:http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=27530 or is it somehow more clever so it's okay?


IMO, it all looks like CR.A_P. All the same. Just look at the fog, it's all childish kid cartoony bullsH_t.

Talk about "heartbreak". Outside the fog sits Drakxxx, tgentry, and (pre-ramy)boots.

Appropriate derby theme.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: Loss


I really like this. It's amazing what you can do with just six colors! great job!


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

EinnaFK


quality posts: 8 Private Messages EinnaFK
rockhopper323 wrote:i think the blood on the knife is a tad too much


The fish guts n' blood on the knife is one of my favorite parts xD It's all just so tragic, yet delicious. Mmmm, sushi.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
sekiyoku wrote:Not trying to start fights, since I like the picture that I'm linking too...

But are you going to shun InfinityLoop forever for this:http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=27530 or is it somehow more clever so it's okay?


InfinityLoop at her worst has more creativity in a strand of hair than you two at your best have in your combined bodies.

thesis4eva


quality posts: 1 Private Messages thesis4eva
Re: Loss


This would make me cry too. I will be in for one when it wins.

rob9000


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rob9000
Re: Loss

LOve these colors too!
Masterful.


hookemhorns212


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212

This shirt cracks me up and I like the colors. For the first time since I have gotten addicted to shirt.woot there is more than one shirt in the fog I would buy!

cainja1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cainja1

Funny design, but I think it belongs in a comic strip rather than on a t-shirt. Besides that A+'s all around

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
Guntasaurus wrote:IMO, it all looks like CR.A_P. All the same. Just look at the fog, it's all childish kid cartoony bullsH_t.

Talk about "heartbreak". Outside the fog sits Drakxxx, tgentry, and (pre-ramy)boots.

Appropriate derby theme.

Whoa, take a chill pill man. So maybe the designs aren't for everyone, but let's be civil now and not resort to cursing over a shirt.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Zenverse wrote:Whoa, take a chill pill man. So maybe the designs aren't for everyone, but let's be civil now and not resort to cursing over a shirt.


Zen, you will notice that Guntasaurus has a low post count (7 last time I looked) One reason for that is because woot deletes his nastiest posts. You will also note that he has no purchases.

Shenorock


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shenorock
rockhopper323 wrote:i think the blood on the knife is a tad too much


I agree, I could do without the blood on the knife or the knife altogether but I still really like the shirt. Great use of only 6 colors.

Reawen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
Re: Loss


Wow, I laughed so hard when I saw this!! I really want one - although I'm slightly nervous about the reactions I'd get, because most people know I'm a vegetarian (but not for "save the animals" reasons)... Hopefully people would see that I were wearing it for the humor, not because I'm trying to make a statement about butchering fish. I feel this would put a damper on my new fun shirt. o_o Oh well, I want one anyway!

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Loss


One of my fav's....Better to have two in the fog huh?


cabbit56


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbit56
Re: Loss


I had this idea too! sad fish looking at sushi from the fish bowl. But I thought sushi fish are from the sea, and so the fish in the bowl wouldn't necessarily feel sad looking at some strangers... I guess I was being too technical. Anyway, even if I made it the outcome wouldn't be half as good as yours, so good job! It looks so colorful yet there're only 6 colors! Very nice~ gmv~

SarahPants5


quality posts: 6 Private Messages SarahPants5
Re: Loss


Wow. I really feel for the fish...and that knife is so bloody!!

This is beautiful!! Love the colors. GMV.

Bmop


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Bmop
I have a friend who loves sushi, so I'm gonna get one for him... I have a friend who loves to breed fish, so I'm gonna get one for him. The last one is for me. Great design!

Re: Loss

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
mjc613 wrote:Zen, you will notice that Guntasaurus has a low post count (7 last time I looked) One reason for that is because woot deletes his nastiest posts. You will also note that he has no purchases.

Noted. Will remember DNFTT for next time!

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
AdderXYU wrote:InfinityLoop at her worst has more creativity in a strand of hair than you two at your best have in your combined bodies.


Adder, I'm curious about what your answer to her question is. This concept is essentially the kiwi concept. The only twist on the kiwi concept is that one is a bird and one is a fruit instead of both being fish, and the bird is sad instead of frightened. Are those differences enough for you to not deem the Kiwi shirt as bad for the same reasons you deem this shirt as bad?

moran31


quality posts: 0 Private Messages moran31
Re: Loss


love it, and i will buy.
nice work, love the colors

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
HeartlineTwist wrote:Adder, I'm curious about what your answer to her question is. This concept is essentially the kiwi concept. The only twist on the kiwi concept is that one is a bird and one is a fruit instead of both being fish, and the bird is sad instead of frightened. Are those differences enough for you to not deem the Kiwi shirt as bad for the same reasons you deem this shirt as bad?

Perhaps the issue is that few know me as an artist (or my body of work), whereas Loop has demonstrated a pretty wide range of versatility.

I really like the Kiwi shirt, personally. It's very sweet, and I think it connects with New Zealanders - when you can make something that appeals to people on a fairly national level, you're brilliant. She did a great job with it.
I'm semi-worried that this will turn into a comparison between me and other artists. Realistically, though, any comparison will be difficult or incorrect, as I don't have a huge body of work to point back to.

If you want to see what I'm up to, this is my art blog. And this is my website that's less frequently updated, but has some of my 3D texture stuff in it.

gcollette


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcollette

As a sushi lover, I think this is a great design. My only criticism is the bloody knife. It adds a level of macabre that just isn't necessary for such a creative design.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
HeartlineTwist wrote:Adder, I'm curious about what your answer to her question is. This concept is essentially the kiwi concept. The only twist on the kiwi concept is that one is a bird and one is a fruit instead of both being fish, and the bird is sad instead of frightened. Are those differences enough for you to not deem the Kiwi shirt as bad for the same reasons you deem this shirt as bad?


The fact that Loop's takes a more absurd view is in and of itself more creative. I also enjoy how the textures on both the fruit and the bird match up, bringing a true connection besides just the names. Would I like it even more had she made the fruit another bird which, when sliced open, had the flesh of the fruit inside? Of course! It'd have been a way stronger concept. But this is woot, and that would have been too edgy.

But there is also a matter of being bored to tears by sushi designs. I've been at woot long enough, and have browsed enough other sites, to simply be unimpressed with the plays on sushi. I've seen many cannibal fish eating sushi. I've seen a big fish eating a raw human. I've seen sushi about to chop you up. I've seen a samurai sliced up by another samurai and falling into place as sushi. I've seen countless octopus sushi concepts, from octopi eating themselves, to octopi with cleavers attacking people eating sushi, to cho's sashimi hunters last year, featuring divers diving to get sushi straight from an octopus. And I've seen just as many foods-scared-because-another-food-has-been-cooked shirts. There is nothing about this concept that feels fresh, and while the kiwi comparison isn't a new one either, it is a far rarer concept, and one I don't think I've ever seen printed.

But I don't think I needed to defend myself in the first place. TheInfinityLoop is an artist, and anyone who denies it needs some new eyes. Whether it's with votes or verbal support, that's the horse I run with in an ART and DESIGN contest, not just anyone who can slap something cute on a shirt. Open your eyes. Regardless of whether anyone is cheating or not, regardless of the fact that four of the top 6 entries are shirts by people associated with one specific user (because yeah, NO ONE should be suspicious of that, I TOTALLY agree! It's so easy to explain away!) the fact is that the derby is broken when people who can do mind blowing work are only able to succeed when their work is incredibly dumbed down. I obviously believe there is something wrong with the users in question, and I feel there is enough evidence that that dialogue should not be dropped, but this is deeper than Ramy and Seki and any other kawaii piece of trash entered into the derby. If you truly can look at the average derby and say "yeah, this shirt is worth $1000 bucks", I pity you.

That has ALWAYS been my gripe, from LONG before these particular hack jobs showed up. This isn't a lottery ticket. It is a design contest, and there is a lot on the line. The designers entering deserve to know their hard work puts them at an advantage. right now, the opposite is true. To me, having to defend that opinion is the equivalent of being told that hard work SHOULDN'T pay off, and that disgusts me. Loop is playing the game. Ramy and Seki ARE the game. Because if they leave woot, they'll keep doing the same desu work and keep signing up friends for tables at artist alleys in various conventions so they can make more money, but if InfinityLoop leaves, she will start putting out the best of herself at places that will appreciate it. God forbid I support someone struggling to compete on an uneven playing field over the people who snuck in at night with a backhoe to make it less level.

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
AdderXYU wrote:The fact that Loop's takes a more absurd view is in and of itself more creative. I also enjoy how the textures on both the fruit and the bird match up, bringing a true connection besides just the names. Would I like it even more had she made the fruit another bird which, when sliced open, had the flesh of the fruit inside? Of course! It'd have been a way stronger concept. But this is woot, and that would have been too edgy.

But there is also a matter of being bored to tears by sushi designs. I've been at woot long enough, and have browsed enough other sites, to simply be unimpressed with the plays on sushi. I've seen many cannibal fish eating sushi. I've seen a big fish eating a raw human. I've seen sushi about to chop you up. I've seen a samurai sliced up by another samurai and falling into place as sushi. I've seen countless octopus sushi concepts, from octopi eating themselves, to octopi with cleavers attacking people eating sushi, to cho's sashimi hunters last year, featuring divers diving to get sushi straight from an octopus. And I've seen just as many foods-scared-because-another-food-has-been-cooked shirts. There is nothing about this concept that feels fresh, and while the kiwi comparison isn't a new one either, it is a far rarer concept, and one I don't think I've ever seen printed.

But I don't think I needed to defend myself in the first place. TheInfinityLoop is an artist, and anyone who denies it needs some new eyes. Whether it's with votes or verbal support, that's the horse I run with in an ART and DESIGN contest, not just anyone who can slap something cute on a shirt. Open your eyes. Regardless of whether anyone is cheating or not, regardless of the fact that four of the top 6 entries are shirts by people associated with one specific user (because yeah, NO ONE should be suspicious of that, I TOTALLY agree! It's so easy to explain away!) the fact is that the derby is broken when people who can do mind blowing work are only able to succeed when their work is incredibly dumbed down. I obviously believe there is something wrong with the users in question, and I feel there is enough evidence that that dialogue should not be dropped, but this is deeper than Ramy and Seki and any other kawaii piece of trash entered into the derby. If you truly can look at the average derby and say "yeah, this shirt is worth $1000 bucks", I pity you.

That has ALWAYS been my gripe, from LONG before these particular hack jobs showed up. This isn't a lottery ticket. It is a design contest, and there is a lot on the line. The designers entering deserve to know their hard work puts them at an advantage. right now, the opposite is true. To me, having to defend that opinion is the equivalent of being told that hard work SHOULDN'T pay off, and that disgusts me. Loop is playing the game. Ramy and Seki ARE the game. Because if they leave woot, they'll keep doing the same desu work and keep signing up friends for tables at artist alleys in various conventions so they can make more money, but if InfinityLoop leaves, she will start putting out the best of herself at places that will appreciate it. God forbid I support someone struggling to compete on an uneven playing field over the people who snuck in at night with a backhoe to make it less level.


Yikes.

Does this mean that anyone who engages in kawaii art or anything vaguely japan-inspired is not working hard or making a serious effort with their work?

I'll admit that over the last couple of derbies I have gone with cuter submissions. My redo of Bifrost (a design I did 10x better back in the 90's) was too cutesy to be any good. I'd diluted the concept. This time out, pluto kawaiis with the best of them. But... Planets just aren't as cute as other things, and there are the other issues you mentioned when I asked you to comment.

I've seen which way the wind blows and have tried to turn my hand that way to see what happens. Do I do it again? Maybe, if the concept feels like it will communicate better as a kawaii comic than anything else, I will. But I've been hanging about long enough that It's clear that it's not ALL I do.

I'm not a fine artist. I'm a designer, cartoonist and visual communicator. So do I think I can stand up to Draxx or Tgentry or TheInfinityLoop in a test of sheer artisitc technique and visionary skill? Of course not. I'm a mildly clever bugger who likes a challenge. And even if I never get printed, The three of them, as well as FableFire, Lokklyn, DavidShenoda, JadenKale and others push me to improve and try and bring more each week. It's a sharpening experience.

As to the state of the field... Well, I can only take to the field as I find it. And you've been here much longer than I. And I don't know how I feel about all the drama and accusations and how things seem to occur. I'm uneasy but lack the concrete proof required to inform a screed on my own part in any direction. I never approach the fog anyway.

So is woot to be written off? It's a valid question if you feel it's become a kawaii-sinkhole.

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
AdderXYU wrote:
But I don't think I needed to defend myself in the first place.

God forbid I support someone struggling to compete on an uneven playing field over the people who snuck in at night with a backhoe to make it less level.


I feel super lucky that I've had some success over the past 3-4 weeks, without the support of an established fan base. It's been spotty, at best though, and I've never had a true victory outside an HM. I think it's early to pin me down as a terrible person/artist/hazardous threat, given my lack of actually winning.

Extra super thanks if you can keep me out of any ensuing drama. I'm not here to be a jerk or make enemies, and would genuinely prefer to be on friendly or neutral terms with everyone.

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
lokklyn wrote:I feel super lucky that I've had some success over the past 3-4 weeks, without the support of an established fan base. It's been spotty, at best though, and I've never had a true victory outside an HM. I think it's early to pin me down as a terrible person/artist/hazardous threat, given my lack of actually winning.

Extra super thanks if you can keep me out of any ensuing drama. I'm not here to be a jerk or make enemies, and would genuinely prefer to be on friendly or neutral terms with everyone.


I expect you're safe unless you win the next three derbies or something like that. ;)

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
godfreytemple wrote:I expect you're safe unless you win the next three derbies or something like that. ;)


hah, yeah. I don't know why i'm getting the flak now when I haven't really won anything yet. I can only imagine what will happen if I actually get printed one of these days. Also, thanks for being nice to me. T^T

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
lokklyn wrote:hah, yeah. I don't know why i'm getting the flak now when I haven't really won anything yet. I can only imagine what will happen if I actually get printed one of these days. Also, thanks for being nice to me. T^T


I expect the math works like this:

Ramyb is evil
Sekiyou is evil

Lokklyn knows Ramyb and Sekiyou

Therefore Lokklyn is evil

Possibly on the premise that evil only associates with evil, is catching, or that you are in fact a front for more of their work.

Not to worry. These things tend to clarify themselves over time.

For example, I'm slowly working on my reputation as an utter turnip-head.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
DrkRonin wrote:this is amazing!


Is it?

blukat44


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blukat44
This is a very awesome design. I love it.

Re: Loss

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
Re: Loss

I actually like the bloody knife there. It makes it more sadistic! Muwhahaha!

lorenlin77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorenlin77
lokklyn wrote:Thanks! :O for anyone curious, this is what the original sketch looked like:



Things i changed based on peoples' suggestions: took out ring.. also added some white lines to emphasize areas that would normally be a bit dark. It's amazing how much tweaking you can do when you think you're already done T_T


This is so cool. I love sushi, but I never really thought about the fish's feelings. So deep! GMV

jessmah8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessmah8
Re: Loss


I like the shirt. It reminds me of the Nemo sushi pictures that came out around the same time Finding Nemo was released.

pankay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pankay
Re: Loss


this made me smile when I first saw it. It's so cute and tragic at the same time. I love ittttt, definitely going to buy it if it wins.. which I'm sure it will!!

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
pankay wrote:this made me smile when I first saw it. It's so cute and tragic at the same time. I love ittttt, definitely going to buy it if it wins.. which I'm sure it will!!


Not sure if it will, but I'm hoping for good luck :') Thank you for your support.

Re: Jessmah: Thanks, and yeah, that was a hilarious picture :O
Re: Lorenlin: I think part of me was subconsciously inspired by... SEA KITTENS! Peta's anti-fish cruelty attempt. Sea Kittens. It made me laugh, even though I enjoy eating fish. :o
Re: Zenverse: Glad you like the knife! :D was hoping I didn't make a poor decision. T_T It was a compositional/mean element that I didn't really think twice about.
Re: Blukat: Thanks
Re: godfrey: Thanks for clarifying the math. I was never good at the subject. As an aside, I'm pretty much pure evil and a horrible person out of my own volition. Hope time will reveal my badassery! Just kidding, I'm usually pretty nice, with a huge dollop of cynicism/sarcasm.

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
lokklyn wrote:Re: godfrey: Thanks for clarifying the math. I was never good at the subject. As an aside, I'm pretty much pure evil and a horrible person out of my own volition. Hope time will reveal my badassery! Just kidding, I'm usually pretty nice, with a huge dollop of cynicism/sarcasm.


Well that sounds like the better sort of evil, then.

All one can do is keep at it and not let any one person or group dictate what you do or don't submit or whether you submit anything at all.

You can never please everyone. And some people are permanently displeased.

bobichka


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka
Re: Loss


I really like the design, but I also think that the blood on the knife just doesn't belong. Fish don't bleed when you make them into sushi...

lorenlin77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorenlin77
Re: Loss


I really hope this wins. I like the vibrant colors and style.

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
bobichka wrote:I really like the design, but I also think that the blood on the knife just doesn't belong. Fish don't bleed when you make them into sushi...

Not unless you catch the fish yourself, then bleed it and gut it. Just imagine...that fish could have been swimming around in that bowl only 30 minutes ago...hehe.

bobichka


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka
Zenverse wrote:Not unless you catch the fish yourself, then bleed it and gut it. Just imagine...that fish could have been swimming around in that bowl only 30 minutes ago...hehe.


Disturbing... and not entirely possible. The color of the flesh suggests salmon or certain kinds of trout, neither of which could have been in that bowl. I'm being picky, I know .

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
bobichka wrote:Disturbing... and not entirely possible. The color of the flesh suggests salmon or certain kinds of trout, neither of which could have been in that bowl. I'm being picky, I know .


Let's just assume, for the purpose of the image, that the fish was fresh when it was cleaned. My friend, who is a sushi chef, tells me that frozen fish usually doesn't bleed; fresh fish, prepared for filleting, does bleed.

These were mostly stylistic choices though. :o

bobichka


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka
lokklyn wrote:Let's just assume, for the purpose of the image, that the fish was fresh when it was cleaned. My friend, who is a sushi chef, tells me that frozen fish usually doesn't bleed; fresh fish, prepared for filleting, does bleed.

These were mostly stylistic choices though. :o


Well, now, since you brought in an expert opinion, I can't complain anymore :^).

Onigiri


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Onigiri
Re: Loss


This is one of my favorite designs. I'd definitely buy this one even though I can't vote yet? Does this mean this picture still get a chance to be on a shirt? I want it.

I want to wear it to go eat sushi at a sushi house ahuhu. I'm not sadistic, just want to make the people at the shop feel sick

Onigiri


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Onigiri
Re: Loss


This is one of my favorite designs. I'd definitely buy this one even though I can't vote yet? Does this mean this picture still get a chance to be on a shirt? I want it.

I want to wear it to go eat sushi at a sushi house ahuhu. I'm not sadistic, just want to make the people at the shop feel sick

xjacekx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages xjacekx
Re: Loss


I want this shirt so bad it hurts! It better be released tonight >_< I love it!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail