Derby #81: Heartbreak
+670

Seppuku

add a comment

Comments

kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
Re: Seppuku


This design is simple, and while it does concern Japanese culture, weaboos won't understand it (because it doesn't say something like "kawaii!" or "neko!" or have a picture of a character from Naruto).

Very good work! I would wear this.

You got my vote!

Albireo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Albireo

I freaking love this.

You know what it would look really good on?

Pink.

Regardless. I love this design. UPWARDS. GO UPWARDS.

radiomode


quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode
Re: Seppuku


"shiiiiiing"

Doverhere


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doverhere
Re: Seppuku



Great design, but the red flyout would logically be only on the exit side of the cut STM.

But who am I to question 'artistic inspiration'.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Doverhere wrote:Great design, but the red flyout would logically be only on the exit side of the cut STM.

But who am I to question 'artistic inspiration'.


if there were no blood pressure, that might be true. But a minimum of 80 mm mercury is high enough that it would spurt out as soon as the cut started.

kcman011


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kcman011
Re: Seppuku


This isn't actually 'seppuku', as that involves thrusting a tanto into the midsection (seppuku actually means 'stomach-cutting')...but let's not get into semantics. Very interesting concept and GMV.

tehrara


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehrara
re: seppuku


This is awesome! Hope it wins.

Arso


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Arso
Re: Seppuku


I may be wrong but i believe seppuku was three cuts and also done in the bowl area. Even if i am right good concept GMV.

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
kcman011 wrote:This isn't actually 'seppuku', as that involves thrusting a tanto into the midsection (seppuku actually means 'stomach-cutting')...but let's not get into semantics. Very interesting concept and GMV.



Arso wrote:I may be wrong but i believe seppuku was three cuts and also done in the bowl area. Even if i am right good concept GMV.


Eh, either way, it's just the title. Since the text isn't on the shirt, the shirt is still freaking awesome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

kitcatbrat


quality posts: 23 Private Messages kitcatbrat
Re: Seppuku


Wow. Never would've thought of this one...I like

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
kcman011 wrote:This isn't actually 'seppuku', as that involves thrusting a tanto into the midsection (seppuku actually means 'stomach-cutting')...but let's not get into semantics. Very interesting concept and GMV.


Is it possibly figurative seppuku?

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
godfreytemple wrote:Is it possibly figurative seppuku?


don't think so. The 'cutter' is obviously cutting someone else's heart. seppuku is self inflicted. seppuku is also a gut shot, which prolongs the death- anything done to the heart is generally very fast, which lessens the pain. hence, not literal or figurative seppuku.

ignoring the title, though, it's a cool image. :^)

rob9000


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rob9000
Re: Seppuku


Really well executed.. ahem. Simple, Clean, Timeless. Hard to have a design with masculine appeal with a heart shape but this is close as I've seen...Smell the BRUT =)
GMV


cainja1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cainja1

I'm trying to decide if I really like the lack of detail and shading... Either way it is a very wearable shirt and I'd be in for one if it wins. Good luck!

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
Josephus wrote:don't think so. The 'cutter' is obviously cutting someone else's heart. seppuku is self inflicted. seppuku is also a gut shot, which prolongs the death- anything done to the heart is generally very fast, which lessens the pain. hence, not literal or figurative seppuku.

ignoring the title, though, it's a cool image. :^)


I can see where you're coming from.
And I agree.

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
cainja1 wrote:I'm trying to decide if I really like the lack of detail and shading... Either way it is a very wearable shirt and I'd be in for one if it wins. Good luck!


I think that actually lends to the appeal of the image, cuz it looks very classic, like James Bond images that are just a shadowy outline with a gun.

lokklyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn
cainja1 wrote:I'm trying to decide if I really like the lack of detail and shading... Either way it is a very wearable shirt and I'd be in for one if it wins. Good luck!


I like the simplicity and boldness of it. Great job on execution!

One thing that kind of bugs me is I can't figure out what the bump on his back is - is that his butt? An arm pulling back? Honestly it didn't bug me much until I realized the weird anatomy. T_T The butt is where the waist/belly button should be; unless it's an arm, and then I just can't visualize it at all. Sorry if this seems really nitpicky, i'm just a little confused. D':

animalluver6


quality posts: 0 Private Messages animalluver6
lokklyn wrote:I like the simplicity and boldness of it. Great job on execution!

One thing that kind of bugs me is I can't figure out what the bump on his back is - is that his butt? An arm pulling back? Honestly it didn't bug me much until I realized the weird anatomy. T_T The butt is where the waist/belly button should be; unless it's an arm, and then I just can't visualize it at all. Sorry if this seems really nitpicky, i'm just a little confused. D':


Hmm..it does look a little odd, now that you mention it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe it's from the outfit he's wearing? Regardless, I still love it and would definitely buy it! GMV!

r4diant


quality posts: 5 Private Messages r4diant
Re: Seppuku


God I hope this shirt wins.

picasserole


quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
Re: Seppuku

Nice One, good luck!

sfabro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfabro
Re: Seppuku


took me a minute to warm up to this one, but im diggin it!

great job!

great job!

kcman011


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kcman011
SailorButterfly wrote:Eh, either way, it's just the title. Since the text isn't on the shirt, the shirt is still freaking awesome.


Yeah, I was just messin' around (and providing some fairly useless info) when I posted. And the more I see this shirt, the more I want it. I bet it would print very well. Here's hoping it makes it to the fog...

Xanzibar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar
Re: Seppuku


Awesome!!! I never thought i'd see a samurai in the derby, but i guess i spoke too soon.

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

cooleyrw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cooleyrw
Josephus wrote:don't think so. The 'cutter' is obviously cutting someone else's heart. seppuku is self inflicted. seppuku is also a gut shot, which prolongs the death- anything done to the heart is generally very fast, which lessens the pain. hence, not literal or figurative seppuku.

ignoring the title, though, it's a cool image. :^)


I guess that the part of seppuku being shown is that of the assistant whose job it was to cut the head off of the samurai who had just committed seppuku. Taking that into account, it's not only accurate, it's a freaking rad shirt.

mad2rass


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mad2rass

Beautiful. Would prefer another colour, though. Yes, like pink.

fofmock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fofmock
Re: Seppuku


so simple but still so enticing... i like it :P

ottery


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ottery

About the "bump" on his butt; It's part of his kimono. :3 It may be his obi, but it could also just be his kimono moving a certain way.

kamz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kamz
Re: Seppuku
[/quote

Simply brilliant idea - I would wear it everywhere.

[quote]

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Josephus wrote:don't think so. The 'cutter' is obviously cutting someone else's heart. seppuku is self inflicted. seppuku is also a gut shot, which prolongs the death- anything done to the heart is generally very fast, which lessens the pain. hence, not literal or figurative seppuku.


Perhaps he's cutting his own heart, and not literally. Perhaps he had to break his heart in order to save his honor which is quite like seppuku.

Either way though, I've really warmed up to this design. I'd buy it.

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
ottery wrote:About the "bump" on his butt; It's part of his kimono. :3 It may be his obi, but it could also just be his kimono moving a certain way.


I could also visualize it being his left arm bent at his side.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

brandomization


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandomization
Re: Seppuku


this is freakin amazing! SEPPUKU!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Seppuku


Simple, yet very cool!


d4saken1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages d4saken1

Wonderful style, simple and clean. Though I have to agree that little anime boys and girls might not vote for it but its wonderful. I'd love to wear it.

CarpoMarx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CarpoMarx
Re: Seppuku


I think this is my favorite entry this derby. Definitely the only one with a heart on it that I would wear regularly. You're quickly becoming one of my favorite designers, radiomode. Best of luck to you.

radiomode


quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode
CarpoMarx wrote:I think this is my favorite entry this derby. Definitely the only one with a heart on it that I would wear regularly. You're quickly becoming one of my favorite designers, radiomode. Best of luck to you.


Thank you!

michaelwiggins


quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelwiggins
Re: Seppuku


Man this shirt really went in to beast mode. I voted for it when it was at about 60 votes, and I had no idea it would catch up so much when all of the ones in the fog had like 300.

Good shirt, by the way. Clever idea.

lastunicorn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lastunicorn

I love this design!!

PhantomSunsSong


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhantomSunsSong
Re: Seppuku


I really like it. It's a very cool shirt design, no doubt about it. I'd get it if it wins, pink or not.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail