Derby #92: Steampunk
+210

My Dog Breathes Steampunk

My Dog Breathes Steampunk
add a comment

Comments

hastethechariot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hastethechariot
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


wow. you suck. epic omgwin!....

thanks for wasting everyones time...

now go click reply and read what i really said... woot has word filters...

<3

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk

*swoons over epic steampunk dog of cuteness*


DiamondFace


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DiamondFace

Eh... this submission was funny the first time, but the joke's sort of lost its luster.

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
DiamondFace wrote:Eh... this submission was funny the first time, but the joke's sort of lost its luster.


No it has not lost its luster. Not as much as cutesy designs anyways...

EDIT: WHAT SHIRT COLOR IS THIS ON?

EDIT2: SORRY TO YELL

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
hastethechariot wrote:wow. you suck. epic omgwin!....

thanks for wasting everyones time...

now go click reply and read what i really said... woot has word filters...

<3


It's only wasting your time if you let it. You were the one who took the time to comment and show your disapproval. I don't see it as wasting my time if it's 1. making a joke and 2. it's trying to prove a point as to how many entries are not on theme.

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
hastethechariot wrote:wow. you suck. epic omgwin!....

thanks for wasting everyones time...

now go click reply and read what i really said... woot has word filters...

<3

Thanks for making me waste time by hitting reply.

DiamondFace wrote:Eh... this submission was funny the first time, but the joke's sort of lost its luster.

I disagree. I think there should be more of them.


LTU99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTU99
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Now that's funny. Adder wins.

lexaverial


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Hahaha. Fantastic.

SeraphSix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix

Very good execution. Perfectly on topic. GMV!

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
theinfinityloop wrote:I disagree. I think there should be more of them.


I agree - a derbyful! This one is particularly clever. Such originality is genius.

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


in for one. adder, you rule the world

cmdixon2


quality posts: 20 Private Messages cmdixon2

I get the point of this, but it really disappoints me that it's taking up a valuable space in the hotness where serious designs could be getting more exposure.

youfail


quality posts: 0 Private Messages youfail
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk




this is the greatest creation by anyone evar. you should get an award sir.

Icemank91


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk



I know I'm relatively new to woot, but has adder ever submitted a serious derby entry?

Teknikas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Even more epic with the dog and this actually makes me laugh :P Great man, great!

austrich


quality posts: 0 Private Messages austrich
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


stop.
it.
out.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


I actually much prefer this method of protest over bickering. Plus, it's funny

GMV.

iris420


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


My heart beats only for AdderXYU.

Carpe shirtem!

dpbowl842


quality posts: 10 Private Messages dpbowl842
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


No monocle or top hat?

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Icemank91 wrote:I know I'm relatively new to woot, but has adder ever submitted a serious derby entry?


Yup. In the professions derby, IIRC.

GMV.

I hate that damn fog with so much passion right now, it's not even funny.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
Icemank91 wrote:I know I'm relatively new to woot, but has adder ever submitted a serious derby entry?


Not under that name...

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
alfbo wrote:Not under that name...


Try again.

crackakillla


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crackakillla
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


perfect example of steampunk. GMV

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
2thFairy wrote:Try again.


Apparently I sit corrected.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Icemank91 wrote:I know I'm relatively new to woot, but has adder ever submitted a serious derby entry?


Are you implying that this is not a serious entry?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

iris420


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


I don't want to freak anyone out here, but I've voted for this design and every time I leave the page and come back to it later, it says I haven't voted for it. So, I try to vote for it again, leave the page, come back, same thing. No vote shown. Any ideas why? This hasn't happened to the other two designs I've voted on.

Edit: okay, looks like my vote has finally decided to stick around. that was really weird.

Carpe shirtem!

sefjwm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm

I say we do this every week in protest. We find one person who donates all winnings to charity. If we can keep stuff like this in the fog maybe we can get some sort of change here.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
iris420 wrote:I don't want to freak anyone out here, but I've voted for this design and every time I leave the page and come back to it later, it says I haven't voted for it. So, I try to vote for it again, leave the page, come back, same thing. No vote shown. Any ideas why? This hasn't happened to the other two designs I've voted on.


Sometimes weird stuff happens on the site. Give it an hour and check back again. Your vote may be registered by then, or if it isn't, you may be able to vote properly at that point. I've experienced the same thing on numerous other designs at various times in the past. Rest assured, this isn't some code monkey voodoo magic designed to keep votes away from Adder's entry.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

whisperatdaybreak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whisperatdaybreak
iris420 wrote:I don't want to freak anyone out here, but I've voted for this design and every time I leave the page and come back to it later, it says I haven't voted for it. So, I try to vote for it again, leave the page, come back, same thing. No vote shown. Any ideas why? This hasn't happened to the other two designs I've voted on.

Edit: okay, looks like my vote has finally decided to stick around. that was really weird.


That happened to me too the other day.

Beffy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beffy
sefjwm wrote:I say we do this every week in protest. We find one person who donates all winnings to charity. If we can keep stuff like this in the fog maybe we can get some sort of change here.


Change from what? What exactly do you want changed? To take away peoples free will to vote for who they please, or to sumbit what they please? xD

iris420


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
eHalcyon wrote: Rest assured, this isn't some code monkey voodoo magic designed to keep votes away from Adder's entry.


Haha! This is why I prefaced my comment. Conspiracy abounds! Thanks for the info.

Carpe shirtem!

mllemeranii


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


GMV again Adder.

marzipanapple


quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk



I have some legitimate questions I need answered here:

Why is that dog steaming from his mouth?

What is holding that gear up in the air?

Why does the dog look like an overdone pork chop?


If I'm going to vote for this, I need to know what you were thinking while you labored over this. Really, Adder, I don't even think pork chops have mouths.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
marzipanapple wrote:I have some legitimate questions I need answered here:

Why is that dog steaming from his mouth?

What is holding that gear up in the air?

Why does the dog look like an overdone pork chop?


If I'm going to vote for this, I need to know what you were thinking while you labored over this. Really, Adder, I don't even think pork chops have mouths.


I think the dog's name is porkchop.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
marzipanapple wrote:I have some legitimate questions I need answered here:

Why is that dog steaming from his mouth?

What is holding that gear up in the air?

Why does the dog look like an overdone pork chop?


If I'm going to vote for this, I need to know what you were thinking while you labored over this. Really, Adder, I don't even think pork chops have mouths.


And I believe he ate the same bad burrito that caused the steam from the armored dog in another derby entry.

Reaper621


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Reaper621
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk

What an wily crawdad.

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Needs more body armor.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


...the more i look at this now, the more i think it should be something other than white.

i don't know if you know much about woot, adder, or the online t-shirt world in general, but most people here prefer non-white shirts. ;)

Nightshooter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


this made my day, thanks adder

wootasourous


quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


I wonder what would happen if this actually got printed. LOL. I would buy it.

bobichka


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka
2thFairy wrote:And I believe he ate the same bad burrito that caused the steam from the armored dog in another derby entry.


ROFL!

BoredStiff


quality posts: 13 Private Messages BoredStiff

First time I really LOLed at an entry. There are maybe 3 entries that qualify as steampunk in this entire contest, and one of them was your rejected shirt.

God I hope this knocks that "other" dog entry out of the fog. This is obviously the real deal.

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


woot embrangles at making themes. And then they sleep until it's over.


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

masterxuln


quality posts: 1 Private Messages masterxuln
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Finally you got it right, Adder. At least you're on topic. Now if only you could draw...

greenmolloy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenmolloy
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Well this entry is utter tripe. I, personally, am a fan of steampunk and I think you oversimplify what it is.

With that said, I'm giving you a vote simply because all the shirts I do like are far from the fog or rejected (as far from the fog as you can get). I'm quite curious to see if woot will print this, and, if so, how many weeks it'll stay in the top 20. Good luck.

mlovesr


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mlovesr
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Your design only punctuates how well formulaic art does here at woot! Tired art rakes in the votes. How sad is that!

Adder, I hope this design prints. It'll be 1,000 cool bucks for you and almost as disappointing a print as "yay, brocolli" for all those who care about intelligent, well-executed, original art.

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


First time poster, wanted to wait until I had something worthwhile to say. My first thought when I saw the first version of this "protest shirt," or whatever it might be called, was "slightly funny, mostly stupid." But after thinking about it more, seeing the troubles of Drakxxx and others, and seeing the off-topicness and pandering (or at least cuteseyness) of the fog, I have come to fully support this entry. I believe this is the best (and only viable) way for those with similar opinions to try to influence the outcomes of these derbys. I believe that suggesting rule restrictions ("no flying penguins") or rejections based on relative off-topicness would be bad for a few reasons:
1. Not gonna happen
2. Restricts artistic freedom (much as I personally hate the cutesy animals)

So, good job Adder, let's just hope that people can be encouraged to vote more for on-topic and genuinely creative entries through satire, unlikely as it may be... GMV.

pavliktd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pavliktd
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Count me in, I like the use of cutesy animal - only thing missing is a really bad pun. Maybe the steampunk Willie artist can help you out...

thisisme84


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thisisme84
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Clown...shoes...

manticoreparade


quality posts: 0 Private Messages manticoreparade
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


The gear doesn't have enough personality. If I may make a minor suggestion...


krouth


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth
masterkraig wrote:Needs more body armor.


Oh man, you almost made me spit my coffee out... L O L

thisisme84


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thisisme84
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Clown...shoes...

KillerRamen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KillerRamen
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


Now only if it had a video game reference...

...A victory would be epic and I would wear this to the confusion of all mankind!

marzipanapple


quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
itoaseik wrote: I believe that suggesting rule restrictions ("no flying penguins") or rejections based on relative off-topicness would be bad for a few reasons:
1. Not gonna happen
2. Restricts artistic freedom (much as I personally hate the cutesy animals)

So, good job Adder, let's just hope that people can be encouraged to vote more for on-topic and genuinely creative entries through satire, unlikely as it may be... GMV.


In all seriousness, I agree with this. Having rules barring certain things from the derby(not including text, as that is a little different) isn't really a fair way to go. Especially since I'm sure everyone has *something* they'd like to ban.
Now, if only this would print. ;)

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
itoaseik wrote:First time poster, wanted to wait until I had something worthwhile to say. My first thought when I saw the first version of this "protest shirt," or whatever it might be called, was "slightly funny, mostly stupid." But after thinking about it more, seeing the troubles of Drakxxx and others, and seeing the off-topicness and pandering (or at least cuteseyness) of the fog, I have come to fully support this entry. I believe this is the best (and only viable) way for those with similar opinions to try to influence the outcomes of these derbys. I believe that suggesting rule restrictions ("no flying penguins") or rejections based on relative off-topicness would be bad for a few reasons:
1. Not gonna happen
2. Restricts artistic freedom (much as I personally hate the cutesy animals)

So, good job Adder, let's just hope that people can be encouraged to vote more for on-topic and genuinely creative entries through satire, unlikely as it may be... GMV.


Quality Post!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SeraphSix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix

The more I look at this, this more I think that the dog should have a master sword lying in front of it.

bobichka


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka
manticoreparade wrote:The gear doesn't have enough personality. If I may make a minor suggestion...


Sorry, you got it all wrong. The eyes need to be empty white circles for this to work.

humps411


quality posts: 0 Private Messages humps411
itoaseik wrote:First time poster, wanted to wait until I had something worthwhile to say. My first thought when I saw the first version of this "protest shirt," or whatever it might be called, was "slightly funny, mostly stupid." But after thinking about it more, seeing the troubles of Drakxxx and others, and seeing the off-topicness and pandering (or at least cuteseyness) of the fog, I have come to fully support this entry. I believe this is the best (and only viable) way for those with similar opinions to try to influence the outcomes of these derbys. I believe that suggesting rule restrictions ("no flying penguins") or rejections based on relative off-topicness would be bad for a few reasons:
1. Not gonna happen
2. Restricts artistic freedom (much as I personally hate the cutesy animals)

So, good job Adder, let's just hope that people can be encouraged to vote more for on-topic and genuinely creative entries through satire, unlikely as it may be... GMV.


Great Post. Great Shirt. Great F*ing Point!

How 'bout something as simple as a 2 week waiting period before a winner of a derby can resubmit a shirt into the competition? At least it'd springboard new ideas and add some variety to the fog.

humps411


quality posts: 0 Private Messages humps411
bobichka wrote:Sorry, you got it all wrong. The eyes need to be empty white circles for this to work.


Or at least make everything on the shirt look like it's made of rubber ducky plastic. Come one! Where's the shiny?

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


come on only ....800 more votes and it might make it into the fog!!! B^) man i wish this would get in there!!!

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
humps411 wrote:Great Post. Great Shirt. Great F*ing Point!

How 'bout something as simple as a 2 week waiting period before a winner of a derby can resubmit a shirt into the competition? At least it'd springboard new ideas and add some variety to the fog.


I don't think that the point is to try to "socialize" shirt.woot. Unfortunately the majority rules and many voters of the shirt.woot nation appear to usually like cute stuff and ignore the the rules and the "spirit" of the derby when they vote.

dangerhaus


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dangerhaus
manticoreparade wrote:The gear doesn't have enough personality. If I may make a minor suggestion...


o, my yess, what a improov... you givd it b**bs and furry lady parts. sexist weasel.

the ha is silent - i'm laughing on the inside

kittypoocaca


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittypoocaca
itoaseik wrote:First time poster, wanted to wait until I had something worthwhile to say. My first thought when I saw the first version of this "protest shirt," or whatever it might be called, was "slightly funny, mostly stupid." But after thinking about it more, seeing the troubles of Drakxxx and others, and seeing the off-topicness and pandering (or at least cuteseyness) of the fog, I have come to fully support this entry. I believe this is the best (and only viable) way for those with similar opinions to try to influence the outcomes of these derbys. I believe that suggesting rule restrictions ("no flying penguins") or rejections based on relative off-topicness would be bad for a few reasons:
1. Not gonna happen
2. Restricts artistic freedom (much as I personally hate the cutesy animals)

So, good job Adder, let's just hope that people can be encouraged to vote more for on-topic and genuinely creative entries through satire, unlikely as it may be... GMV.


Or maybe people should just vote for what they would actually buy as I'm pretty sure woot would like these shirt to sell.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
kittypoocaca wrote:Or maybe people should just vote for what they would actually buy as I'm pretty sure woot would like these shirt to sell.


Amen.

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
kittypoocaca wrote:Or maybe people should just vote for what they would actually buy as I'm pretty sure woot would like these shirt to sell.


I never said people should not vote for shirts that they want to buy. However, clearly not every vote equals a purchased shirt, or vice versa. So, I see no reason that people can't try to convince people to use their votes a little differently. Everyone wants the designs they like to win, and I think that this is a good way to try to achieve that. Ultimately, everyone is in control of their own vote. If you want to be able to vote for what you like, then of course the cost of that is that other people can do the same.

Obviously Woot is a business, and their ultimate goal is to make money. However, I think it is also clear that shirt.woot is not motivated only by money, or they would reject shirts only for copyright reasons, as has been stated by others. Frankly, I think it is in Woot's best long-term interest for unique designs to win. As more designs with similar themes get printed, the same people who bought those previous designs will run out of money/closet space ("I'd really like to buy this shirt that I voted for, but I just bought that other one last week"). Also, people who don't like those types of designs will go elsewhere.

I think I was a little harsh to use the word "pandering" to refer to some of the fog designs... my intention was not to hate on any particular designs or designer. For example, I like Sekiyoku's design almost enough to want to wear it on a shirt. However, I happen to also think that it does not really fit the theme, which to me is important for a couple reasons. I think the purpose of the themes is to encourage unique designs that are very different week to week. Failing to adhere to the themes is somewhat unfair to those who do, and leads to less variety in designs... I'm rambling now, so I'm going to stop.

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


[shameless promotion of my blog]
It’s Wednesday and I have made my list. If you are the least bit interested, come on over to the blog. If not, continue on to the next comment (unless it is a double/triple post by me, then ignore it).
[/shameless promotion of my blog]

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


This design makes me wish that Woot offered a negative vote option. I know this design was meant to be funny, but the fact that it's got so many votes is really disconcerting. Geez!

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
databit wrote:[shameless promotion of my blog]
It’s Wednesday and I have made my list. If you are the least bit interested, come on over to the blog. If not, continue on to the next comment (unless it is a double/triple post by me, then ignore it).
[/shameless promotion of my blog]


Because you insist on spamming the derbies with links to your blog, I will never vote for one of your designs.

Just saying. Put it in your sig, and stop there.

As for the shirt...It's humorous, it's probably as topical as anything else, but I suspect it might count as woot related.

I think it would be interesting to see the number of people who voted for a shirt that was printed and then failed to buy ANYTHING from that derby. I can see if you voted for all three shirts that got printed, and only bought one, but it seems to me that if you haven't bought ANY of the shirts you've voted for, then maybe you should get to vote again.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
mitchellp wrote:This design makes me wish that Woot offered a negative vote option. I know this design was meant to be funny, but the fact that it's got so many votes is really disconcerting. Geez!


It should be disconcerting. Its entire existence is based on how disconcerting it is that the designs this design is parodying are doing so well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Mavyn wrote:Because you insist on spamming the derbies with links to your blog, I will never vote for one of your designs.

Just saying. Put it in your sig, and stop there.

As for the shirt...It's humorous, it's probably as topical as anything else, but I suspect it might count as woot related.

I think it would be interesting to see the number of people who voted for a shirt that was printed and then failed to buy ANYTHING from that derby. I can see if you voted for all three shirts that got printed, and only bought one, but it seems to me that if you haven't bought ANY of the shirts you've voted for, then maybe you should get to vote again.


That's fine, I doubt you have voted that much for them anyway... They are not really that great of quality usually, though I have hit on a popular design once or twice. But for the most part I get happy when I break 50 votes on an entry.

Something I keep seeing in these posts on certain artists is: You people who vote on an entry just because of who the artist is are what is wrong with Woot!

I have a question though, and note this is purely a question and I offer no opinion of my own on this. Is it different to NOT vote on an entry just because of who the artist is (of course I know it is a stretch to refer to myself as an artist, so just remember this is just a question to think about. Not expecting any logical response because I think it is up for interpretation)

On the spam issue, I post the notice of the list only in the entries that I have included in my list and this is my way of notifying viewers and the artists that they are on my list. If they want to check what else is on the list, they can go check it out. If not, then on to the next comment. Sorry that I have horribly offended you.

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
SailorButterfly wrote:It should be disconcerting. Its entire existence is based on how disconcerting it is that the designs this design is parodying are doing so well.


Indeed. This is meant to mock the popular off topic entries that seem to have entrenched themselves in the fog.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
Mavyn wrote:Because you insist on spamming the derbies with links to your blog, I will never vote for one of your designs.

Just saying. Put it in your sig, and stop there.

As for the shirt...It's humorous, it's probably as topical as anything else, but I suspect it might count as woot related.

I think it would be interesting to see the number of people who voted for a shirt that was printed and then failed to buy ANYTHING from that derby. I can see if you voted for all three shirts that got printed, and only bought one, but it seems to me that if you haven't bought ANY of the shirts you've voted for, then maybe you should get to vote again.


Firstly, databit posting anything relating to his blog is no different than Thatrobert who owns the 'Best Losers' site. He's welcome to have his picks and write up why he likes them. And because of that, he posts that people should read his blog. NOW, he probably shouldn't do it the way he's been doing (because yes, it does look like shameless advertising, even how he notes it) but he could create an ICON or something that directly links to the write up (much like Thatrobert does for his write-ups.)


As for your second remark, I see nothing woot related in the design unless you feel that directly relating to someone else's design qualifies as woot related.

And Thirdly, you can see the vote #'s versus the sales of a shirt after the first 24 hrs or it sells out before then (which, if the top 3 do not sell out in their first 24 hrs, I'll again be on the bandwagon as to extra accounts voting for designs that shouldn't have printed in the first place). So if ramy and seki don't sell out, come forward and argue the case. Lord knows those of us who say something week after week seem to just be blowing smoke up people's asses.

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
databit wrote:That's fine, I doubt you have voted that much for them anyway... They are not really that great of quality usually, though I have hit on a popular design once or twice. But for the most part I get happy when I break 50 votes on an entry.

Something I keep seeing in these posts on certain artists is: You people who vote on an entry just because of who the artist is are what is wrong with Woot!

I have a question though, and note this is purely a question and I offer no opinion of my own on this. Is it different to NOT vote on an entry just because of who the artist is (of course I know it is a stretch to refer to myself as an artist, so just remember this is just a question to think about. Not expecting any logical response because I think it is up for interpretation)

On the spam issue, I post the notice of the list only in the entries that I have included in my list and this is my way of notifying viewers and the artists that they are on my list. If they want to check what else is on the list, they can go check it out. If not, then on to the next comment. Sorry that I have horribly offended you.


You know, I only have two artist on this site tht I don't vote for as a general rule, and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. However, if Boots or Jewelwing had submitted their entries, I wouldn't have voted for them either, because they are not steampunk. Heck, my wife could have submitted them, and I wouldn't have voted for them for the same reason. I have only ever liked two of their designs and I only own one of them because woot accidentally sent me one instead of the one I ordered.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
databit wrote:That's fine, I doubt you have voted that much for them anyway... They are not really that great of quality usually, though I have hit on a popular design once or twice. But for the most part I get happy when I break 50 votes on an entry.

...

I have a question though, and note this is purely a question and I offer no opinion of my own on this. Is it different to NOT vote on an entry just because of who the artist is (of course I know it is a stretch to refer to myself as an artist, so just remember this is just a question to think about. Not expecting any logical response because I think it is up for interpretation)


Not horribly offended, just annoyed.

I HAVE withheld a vote from one of your designs. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth mentioning.

And I agree--voting for something because of the who artist is just as silly. I don't vote that way, I vote on designs I'll either wear myself or give to someone.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JadenKale wrote:And Thirdly, you can see the vote #'s versus the sales of a shirt after the first 24 hrs or it sells out before then (which, if the top 3 do not sell out in their first 24 hrs, I'll again be on the bandwagon as to extra accounts voting for designs that shouldn't have printed in the first place). So if ramy and seki don't sell out, come forward and argue the case. Lord knows those of us who say something week after week seem to just be blowing smoke up people's asses.


Many, many shirt designs don't sell out despite a high number of votes. As long as the number of votes doesn't exceed the number purchased, there isn't much reason to suspect foul play. And even if it does happen, heck, it's happened to well-respected artists too. Unless designs are underselling repeatedly and consistently, the phenomenon can just as easily be chalked up to Woot's ever-shifting customer base.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
JadenKale wrote:Firstly, databit posting anything relating to his blog is no different than Thatrobert who owns the 'Best Losers' site. He's welcome to have his picks and write up why he likes them. And because of that, he posts that people should read his blog. NOW, he probably shouldn't do it the way he's been doing (because yes, it does look like shameless advertising, even how he notes it) but he could create an ICON or something that directly links to the write up (much like Thatrobert does for his write-ups.)


As for your second remark, I see nothing woot related in the design unless you feel that directly relating to someone else's design qualifies as woot related.


I was suggesting he do just that, sorry if that steps on your toes. Never said 'stop doing it' or 'why are you doing it'...Just, you do X, I do Y. My single vote is meaningless, in the larger scheme.

On the second point...I was kidding, thanks.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
eHalcyon wrote:Many, many shirt designs don't sell out despite a high number of votes. As long as the number of votes doesn't exceed the number purchased, there isn't much reason to suspect foul play. And even if it does happen, heck, it's happened to well-respected artists too. Unless designs are underselling repeatedly and consistently, the phenomenon can just as easily be chalked up to Woot's ever-shifting customer base.


I'm sure at this point you've pissed off nearly everyone with your insistence on always being reasonable

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
eHalcyon wrote:Many, many shirt designs don't sell out despite a high number of votes. As long as the number of votes doesn't exceed the number purchased, there isn't much reason to suspect foul play. And even if it does happen, heck, it's happened to well-respected artists too. Unless designs are underselling repeatedly and consistently, the phenomenon can just as easily be chalked up to Woot's ever-shifting customer base.


At this point, we're looking at over 1000 votes per entry in the fog (or pretty damn close.) In the past, once we hit the 1k vote number, chances were high that the design would sell out. Now, if they don't, I'd be interested to know why. The average of 2 and 3 shirt purchases still sit in the combined 5-10% of sales. If these votes are accurate, we should see close to no multiple sales (under 6% total) and sell outs before noon CST on at least 2 shirts, and the 3rd place selling out by no later than 5pm CST.

I don't think the customer base is changing at all. It's the same computer/technophiles who desire instant gratification that visited before. Part of our high numbers can be attributed to the new vote link on the main woot page (replacing the reckoning list link, since all that was doing was boosting seki's sales and pretty much nothing for the rest of the other 26 shirts for sale), but the purchasers will still be the same.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JadenKale wrote:At this point, we're looking at over 1000 votes per entry in the fog (or pretty damn close.) In the past, once we hit the 1k vote number, chances were high that the design would sell out. Now, if they don't, I'd be interested to know why. The average of 2 and 3 shirt purchases still sit in the combined 5-10% of sales. If these votes are accurate, we should see close to no multiple sales (under 6% total) and sell outs before noon CST on at least 2 shirts, and the 3rd place selling out by no later than 5pm CST.

I don't think the customer base is changing at all. It's the same computer/technophiles who desire instant gratification that visited before. Part of our high numbers can be attributed to the new vote link on the main woot page (replacing the reckoning list link, since all that was doing was boosting seki's sales and pretty much nothing for the rest of the other 26 shirts for sale), but the purchasers will still be the same.


"A Wonderful Day" received over 1000 votes but failed to sell out. Somebody posted a comment wondering if it was the first time a design failed to sell out after getting so many votes, and it turns out that it wasn't. I figure the third place design might not sell out simply because the customers get weary from the theme. It may also be that someone votes for two or three designs in the fog but decides to only buy one of them - whichever one happens to get put up for sale earlier. Given the sameness exuded by many of Seki's and Ramy's entries, I wouldn't be surprised if the highest-placing one sells out while the others have lack-lustre numbers at best.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
JadenKale wrote:At this point, we're looking at over 1000 votes per entry in the fog (or pretty damn close.) In the past, once we hit the 1k vote number, chances were high that the design would sell out. Now, if they don't, I'd be interested to know why. The average of 2 and 3 shirt purchases still sit in the combined 5-10% of sales. If these votes are accurate, we should see close to no multiple sales (under 6% total) and sell outs before noon CST on at least 2 shirts, and the 3rd place selling out by no later than 5pm CST.

I don't think the customer base is changing at all. It's the same computer/technophiles who desire instant gratification that visited before. Part of our high numbers can be attributed to the new vote link on the main woot page (replacing the reckoning list link, since all that was doing was boosting seki's sales and pretty much nothing for the rest of the other 26 shirts for sale), but the purchasers will still be the same.


I don't really have any investment in this since I'm not going to be printing, but Drakxxx certainly has enough momentum that he can potentially still print. (according to SDS) However, if he prints, he's definitely going to have over 1000 votes. So do you expect him to sell out, and if he doesn't are you going to accuse him of having a bunch of fake accounts?

As for the reckoning link - it did increase the sales for my music picture, but it also did so for practically ever other shirt in reckoning. And very significantly too, for example, Nevermore sold 246 compared to 115 the previous week, and Imposter sold 209 compared to 104. Just as examples. Also keep in mind that the link was only up for something like three days.

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Mavyn wrote:

And I agree--voting for something because of the who artist is just as silly. I don't vote that way, I vote on designs I'll either wear myself or give to someone.


Cool.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
sekiyoku wrote:As for the reckoning link - it did increase the sales for my music picture, but it also did so for practically ever other shirt in reckoning.


Completely and utterly off-topic, but it kind of irks me that you refer to designs, entries and shirts as "pictures". Just a weird pet peeve, I guess.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
eHalcyon wrote:Completely and utterly off-topic, but it kind of irks me that you refer to designs, entries and shirts as "pictures". Just a weird pet peeve, I guess.


I think someone else commented on this being annoying before. :p I'm used to referring to artwork as pictures, and also, I think almost all the entries fall under the category of a picture anyway, but I have actually been trying to cycle out that word from my t-shirt community vocabulary.

youfail


quality posts: 0 Private Messages youfail
sekiyoku wrote:I think someone else commented on this being annoying before. :p I'm used to referring to artwork as pictures, and also, I think almost all the entries fall under the category of a picture anyway, but I have actually been trying to cycle out that word from my t-shirt community vocabulary.




ftr, its never bothered me. in fact it was never noticed.
*makes mental note to stop calling everything a drawing or piece from now on*

lexaverial


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial
sekiyoku wrote:I don't really have any investment in this since I'm not going to be printing, but Drakxxx certainly has enough momentum that he can potentially still print. (according to SDS) However, if he prints, he's definitely going to have over 1000 votes. So do you expect him to sell out, and if he doesn't are you going to accuse him of having a bunch of fake accounts?


Nobody would accuse Drakxxx of that even if he didn't sell out. He doesn't have a reputation for scamming for popularity on Deviantart, nor does he have a bad reputation for being shameless money grubber who screws over other artists at conventions.

In short, Drakxxx has a pretty clean reputation. As Koronae said many pages ago, there is a saying about making one's bed and then laying in it.

Also, a lot of people are voting for Drakxxx solely to spite both you and Ramyb. The circumstances are drastically different. Even so, you can bet your butt that I'll be buying his design, and I bet a lot of others will as well, solely because they DO support Drakxxx and his awesome designs.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
lexaverial wrote:Also, a lot of people are voting for Drakxxx solely to spite both you and Ramyb. The circumstances are drastically different.


That's a terrible reason to vote for a design. I sincerely hope that people are voting because they would buy it, or at the very least because they like the design. Voting just to spite someone is shameful, regardless of who it is you're spiting.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

lexaverial


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial
eHalcyon wrote:That's a terrible reason to vote for a design. I sincerely hope that people are voting because they would buy it, or at the very least because they like the design. Voting just to spite someone is shameful, regardless of who it is you're spiting.


Oh, I certainly agree with you. I just suspect there is some truth to that. I genuinely like the design myself, and I think a lot of others do as well. But to say there aren't people who are voting out of spite is like saying that people don't vote for Ramy or Seki on name alone. It surely happens.

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
lexaverial wrote:Oh, I certainly agree with you. I just suspect there is some truth to that. I genuinely like the design myself, and I think a lot of others do as well. But to say there aren't people who are voting out of spite is like saying that people don't vote for Ramy or Seki on name alone. It surely happens.


There are plenty of people who vote for Drakxxx on name, or jamescho, or tgentry, and many of the other artists who perform well week in and week out. How is it ok for them to receive votes that way but not for certain other artists, just because you don't like them?

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


this entry is just sad.

lexaverial


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial
elwayman02 wrote:There are plenty of people who vote for Drakxxx on name, or jamescho, or tgentry, and many of the other artists who perform well week in and week out. How is it ok for them to receive votes that way but not for certain other artists, just because you don't like them?


Note that I said I agreed that voting to spite people is shameful. The opposite holds true as well, it is just as bad to vote on name alone. I was just stating that this sort of stuff does happen. I'm not condoning it on any level whatsoever.

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


The most sinister grin crawled across my face.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
lexaverial wrote:Note that I said I agreed that voting to spite people is shameful. The opposite holds true as well, it is just as bad to vote on name alone. I was just stating that this sort of stuff does happen. I'm not condoning it on any level whatsoever.


I disagree. Voting to spite is much worse than voting on name alone, because voting out of spite is a malicious attempt to sabotage an artist's chances at printing merely because you don't like them, whereas voting on name alone is merely supporting someone who you believe is talented or perhaps have a personal connection with. In general, though, I think most people at least look at the entries they are voting on before they vote. For example, I consider myself to be a friend of sekiyoku's outside of Woot (I knew her from elsewhere before she started entering derbies), but I don't always vote for her designs, especially if I see designs I like better that she is in competition with. However, if I am generally ok with all of the designs she is competing with, I'm more likely to vote for her design than someone else's, because I like to support my friends. This applies to other artists as well, not just sekiyoku. I've worked with sailormoontsu, fablefire, and drakxxx on varying numbers of collaborations in the past, so I tend to support their entries under the same system. I omgwin! to see how that is a bad thing.

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
elwayman02 wrote:I disagree. Voting to spite is much worse than voting on name alone, because voting out of spite is a malicious attempt to sabotage an artist's chances at printing merely because you don't like them, whereas voting on name alone is merely supporting someone who you believe is talented or perhaps have a personal connection with. In general, though, I think most people at least look at the entries they are voting on before they vote. For example, I consider myself to be a friend of sekiyoku's outside of Woot (I knew her from elsewhere before she started entering derbies), but I don't always vote for her designs, especially if I see designs I like better that she is in competition with. However, if I am generally ok with all of the designs she is competing with, I'm more likely to vote for her design than someone else's, because I like to support my friends. This applies to other artists as well, not just sekiyoku. I've worked with sailormoontsu, fablefire, and drakxxx on varying numbers of collaborations in the past, so I tend to support their entries under the same system. I omgwin! to see how that is a bad thing.


Well, it's not like this is going to pull into the fog or anything. It'll be lucky to get 19th place. But it's expressing a position, and a fact that it's not a fringe opinion.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
elwayman02 wrote:I disagree. Voting to spite is much worse than voting on name alone, because voting out of spite is a malicious attempt to sabotage an artist's chances at printing merely because you don't like them, whereas voting on name alone is merely supporting someone who you believe is talented or perhaps have a personal connection with. In general, though, I think most people at least look at the entries they are voting on before they vote. For example, I consider myself to be a friend of sekiyoku's outside of Woot (I knew her from elsewhere before she started entering derbies), but I don't always vote for her designs, especially if I see designs I like better that she is in competition with. However, if I am generally ok with all of the designs she is competing with, I'm more likely to vote for her design than someone else's, because I like to support my friends. This applies to other artists as well, not just sekiyoku. I've worked with sailormoontsu, fablefire, and drakxxx on varying numbers of collaborations in the past, so I tend to support their entries under the same system. I omgwin! to see how that is a bad thing.


A good friend you are.
I threaten my friends lives if they don't vote for me. Thursday is judgment day, there's usually a couple of asses kicked by the end of the day.

blahmcblah


quality posts: 5 Private Messages blahmcblah
jamescho84 wrote:I threaten my friends lives if they don't vote for me. Thursday is judgment day, there's usually a couple of asses kicked by the end of the day.


I can attest to the truth of this statement.


leelaaa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


i'm hoping for an honorable mention

leelaaa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk


i'm hoping for an honorable mention

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail