Derby #125: Birds
+181

Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)

Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)
add a comment

Comments

TheyKilledKenny


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


Still Awesome... GMV

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

marzipanapple


quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


It's fantastic. I love your use of line strokes and colors/negative space. Plus, I LOVE shirts that utilize the entire space given. Also, I'm a sucker for owls...

lindab53


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


I definitely want this one!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


Not gonna lie, based on some of your previous work, I would never have expected depth like this from you, but it's really impressive. that said, though, As my eyes travel the line from owl to owl, they veer off toward the halftones at the side, and, well, it just looks wrong with the rest of the piece, to me. There's a lot of very impressive stuff here, but I personally find that jarring.

BlindShooter


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlindShooter
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


Damn nice, even though I agree with Adder on the halftones. Maybe if you had crosshatched it, it would blend a little better.
Nevertheless, it is awesome and gmv. =]

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
marzipanapple wrote:It's fantastic. I love your use of line strokes and colors/negative space. Plus, I LOVE shirts that utilize the entire space given. Also, I'm a sucker for owls...


Thank you very much! This was the first design I did that used up so much space (although, I must admit, my actual comp is only 12x16, so sorry if that's a little misleading! >_<; ). And even though it was a lot of work with the cross-hatching and such, I think it's one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with woot designs so far.

AdderXYU wrote:Not gonna lie, based on some of your previous work, I would never have expected depth like this from you, but it's really impressive. that said, though, As my eyes travel the line from owl to owl, they veer off toward the halftones at the side, and, well, it just looks wrong with the rest of the piece, to me. There's a lot of very impressive stuff here, but I personally find that jarring.


Hah, well, I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or if I should be slightly offended. Either way, I kinda chuckled when I read your comment. I don't know what kind of person you took me as with my previous designs, but I was always designing things that I liked and would have worn myself, and I know I'm never going to stop, whether I get printed or not. Still, I find it a little amusing that I surprised you with this one - gotcha! ;]

And about the halftones, you may be right, but I still think they have a really nice way of helping the sky fade out in a way that I don't think would have worked out the same way if I had cross-hatched it out as well. Hm. Thanks for your opinion, nonetheless.

walmazan


quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


wow!, very nice work! I love it

Veetz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Veetz

nyren


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


Wow. Though I'd be happier with the shirt if the illustration was smaller, I can't not vote for this shirt now. The artwork is gorgeous.

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
walmazan wrote:wow!, very nice work! I love it

Thanks walmazan! I have always enjoyed your designs, so I appreciate the compliment!

Veetz wrote:amazing

Thank you!
nyren wrote:Wow. Though I'd be happier with the shirt if the illustration was smaller, I can't not vote for this shirt now. The artwork is gorgeous.


Nah, it's like I told marzipanapple - the design is only 12x16, so it won't fill up the whole shirt, if that makes you feel better. Thanks so much for your vote !

bro3of4


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
avhienda01 wrote:Hah, well, I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or if I should be slightly offended. Either way, I kinda chuckled when I read your comment. I don't know what kind of person you took me as with my previous designs, but I was always designing things that I liked and would have worn myself, and I know I'm never going to stop, whether I get printed or not. Still, I find it a little amusing that I surprised you with this one - gotcha! ;]

And about the halftones, you may be right, but I still think they have a really nice way of helping the sky fade out in a way that I don't think would have worked out the same way if I had cross-hatched it out as well. Hm. Thanks for your opinion, nonetheless.


This is actually the first I've seen of your work, and I'm pretty impressed. I think Adder was saying the roundness of the halftones doesn't work with the rest of the piece. It doesn't mesh well with the vertical and horizontal strokes in the composition. I think crosshatching would work much better, especially if you make it look as if it was pine needles or hatched leaves framing the work.

The wings on the flying owl also seem just a little too short. I believe they should look about 3 times the body width.

I really like the subtle hint of the fire using the lighting and smoke.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

SJCarlson22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SJCarlson22
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


Very impressive illustration, avhienda01. gmv.

Oldyeller89


quality posts: 18 Private Messages Oldyeller89
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


First shirt in a while that I would seriously consider buying. Too bad it's not in the fog.

Bunnies Ogling Carrots#39;s:
4/1/10: 2.5 lbs---2/25/10: 5.6 lbs
12/25/09: 22.4 lbs---10/28/09: 5.4 lbs
9/25/09: 8.2 lbs---4/1/09: 3.2 lbs
9/22/10: 18.4 lbs---12/1/10: 2.1 lbs

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
bro3of4 wrote:This is actually the first I've seen of your work, and I'm pretty impressed. I think Adder was saying the roundness of the halftones doesn't work with the rest of the piece. It doesn't mesh well with the vertical and horizontal strokes in the composition. I think crosshatching would work much better, especially if you make it look as if it was pine needles or hatched leaves framing the work.

Yeah, after some thought I think I agree with Adder too. There's just some things an artist doesn't think about themselves until someone else points it out. Ah well. Thanks for your input!

SJCarlson22 wrote:Very impressive illustration, avhienda01. gmv.

Thank you!
Oldyeller89 wrote:First shirt in a while that I would seriously consider buying. Too bad it's not in the fog.

Thank you! Yeah, it's too bad. I'll just have to keep trying.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


Color me surprised as well. I've enjoyed some of your previous work, but I didn't know you had these kinds of skills. Well done

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
IndependentVik wrote:Color me surprised as well. I've enjoyed some of your previous work, but I didn't know you had these kinds of skills. Well done


Thanks Vik! Yeah, I remember you commenting on some of my stuff. I appreciate it

Micro1331


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Micro1331

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
Micro1331 wrote:SIMPLY STUNNING


Thank you!

j0naht


quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0naht
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)


I thought this would win when I saw it on the forum before the derby opened. Just amazing for only a few colors! I sure hope you try submitting it to print somewhere else.

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
j0naht wrote:I thought this would win when I saw it on the forum before the derby opened. Just amazing for only a few colors! I sure hope you try submitting it to print somewhere else.


Thank you! You never know what people are going to like, so all you can do is try. I'll be sure to post this on Mysoti later. Thanks again !

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail