Derby #132: Heart

SoulMates

Too similar to shirt we've already printed.

Rejected because: Too similar to shirt we've already printed.

add a comment

Comments

sakleehop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
Re: SoulMates


Copyright issues - G. Lucas intellectual property and probable rejection.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 50 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
sakleehop wrote:Copyright issues - G. Lucas intellectual property and probable rejection.


Really? I bought "It's a Trap" the other day and thought this would be ok because it is a parody.











sakleehop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Really? I bought "It's a Trap" the other day and thought this would be ok because it is a parody.


Parody is so subjective and Woot usually errs on the side of a conservative approach esp. with Lucas property. In the last derby alone - Popeye reference Olive Oyl, Disney Micky Mouse and Coco cereal mascot were rejected because not enough of a parody was presented.

You might get lucky though - it's Woots' call.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 50 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
sakleehop wrote:Parody is so subjective and Woot usually errs on the side of a conservative approach esp. with Lucas property. In the last derby alone - Popeye reference Olive Oyl, Disney Micky Mouse and Coco cereal mascot were rejected because not enough of a parody was presented.

You might get lucky though - it's Woots' call.


I certainly mean no harm to anyone. I'm new to woot and had an idea that made me laugh so I thought I would try it out. It's the learning curve :-) Thanks for your words of wisdom! I have some other ideas I am working on.











sakleehop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I certainly mean no harm to anyone. I'm new to woot and had an idea that made me laugh so I thought I would try it out. It's the learning curve :-) Thanks for your words of wisdom! I have some other ideas I am working on.


No problem at all - like I said - the design could make it through.

As far as It's a Trap is concerned, that was a daily shirt, not a derby shirt. It was designed by one of Woot's staff artists and the parameters for the staff artists are different - read wider - than for derby artists.

For example: there have been 3-4 designs in the history of Woot that have used glow-in-the-dark ink, the most recent a Halloween shirt. None of those shirts, however, were designed for a derby and, in fact, Woot has specified that derby entries cannot use special ink. A few designers have asked to use glow-in-the-dark ink, to no avail.

The designer of It's a Trap must have circumvented the copyright issue someway that Woot approved of but I don't imagine Woot wants to have to screen multiple derby entries for these issues week after week.

Good luck and enter more designs if you have them - the sooner the better.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I certainly mean no harm to anyone. I'm new to woot and had an idea that made me laugh so I thought I would try it out. It's the learning curve :-) Thanks for your words of wisdom! I have some other ideas I am working on.


Also, I'd suggest looking through this site to see what woot has already printed. While yours is much different in execution, it's similar in subject to a shirt woot has already printed. Last year a robot fell in love with a fire hydrant so it's unlikely that there's going to be a lot of love for a robot falling in love with a trash can.

However, I do gotta give you much love for using cranberry. That's a far underused color on this site. I like that you went for something less common right away.

sakleehop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I certainly mean no harm to anyone. I'm new to woot and had an idea that made me laugh so I thought I would try it out. It's the learning curve :-) Thanks for your words of wisdom! I have some other ideas I am working on.


Also - here is a link to some info about derbies in general http://shirt.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2279598 posted some time ago by eHalcyon. Has a lot of useful info for those who are new to Woot. Have fun...

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 50 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
sakleehop wrote:Also - here is a link to some info about derbies in general http://shirt.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2279598 posted some time ago by eHalcyon. Has a lot of useful info for those who are new to Woot. Have fun...


Thanks for the links and the great advice! I submitted another entry. I hope you like it. It's titled "The Monster Bunch".

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=39331











More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.