Derby #139: Madness

Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta

Very confusing shirt mock up. I can't tell what's going on here.

Rejected because: Very confusing shirt mock up. I can't tell what's going on here.

add a comment

Comments

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


special bonus points for '80s album references!

YouKnowMyNameIsSimon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages YouKnowMyNameIsSimon
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


I don't want that drawering to be coming to life. It makes me want to hide away in me tub!

...and the things I drawer come true!

Kassiandora


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kassiandora

MasterWolf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MasterWolf

Hideous.

hl474


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hl474
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


It might've been pretty cool if you were allowed to have text. Otherwise, it literally looks like a bloody mess...

hewtab


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hewtab
AdderXYU wrote:When can the pucker be considered "woot lore"? Because seriously, no one is still voting for these things without the "woot lore" aspect coming into play.

Or basically, this shouldn't be in the fog. ever.


We do it for the lulz. At least kenney always follows the derby rules, unlike some other people who usually skyrocket to the fog.

Masticator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Masticator
AdderXYU wrote:When can the pucker be considered "woot lore"? Because seriously, no one is still voting for these things without the "woot lore" aspect coming into play.

Or basically, this shouldn't be in the fog. ever.


Do I sense "madness" in this comment? Because it looks like madness to me, which makes this a great entry!

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
hewtab wrote:We do it for the lulz.


This is the part I don't quite get, to be honest. Why is it funny to vote for the pucker no matter what it looks like? I could understand voting on ones that are truly well-done, or that do an excellent job of capturing the theme.

But just voting every week for a pucker seems pretty unfair to the other dozens of artists who are working hard to create original art that looks good on a shirt. It's especially vexing to see it fogged when people who worked harder on better designs are deprived of that spotlight- and who knows how high they'd climb if given the chance?

It's cool that kenney likes to make pucker designs. But voting them to the top every week like this is embarrassing. It points out all the things that can go wrong with the voting system- because I refuse to believe that 70+ individual people clicked the "I want one" button. All you guys messing around with extra accounts make the whole site look bad.

Again, nothing against kenney personally. But I really do wish Woot would take the initiative to ban some of the multiple accounts particularly in light of the fact that we watch them get abused every week.

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


Wow, Adder posted a comment and people are responding to it? Is this the week that MY entry hosts all the comments about art vs. popularity?

Awesome! Thanks for the kind words everyone, and have a super weekend!

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
geekfactor12 wrote:

It's cool that kenney likes to make pucker designs. But voting them to the top every week like this is embarrassing. It points out all the things that can go wrong with the voting system- because I refuse to believe that 70+ individual people clicked the "I want one" button. All you guys messing around with extra accounts make the whole site look bad.


I agree with everything you said, but out of fairness to Kenney, his designs pretty much never threaten to fog or print. This design shouldn't fog (and I doubt it'll finish near the top), but for the most part I think his designs are harmless fun, and this fogging (while it shouldn't) is an exception to the rule.

But yeah, I agree with you, especially your final sentence.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
jmmbell1987 wrote:I agree with everything you said, but out of fairness to Kenney, his designs pretty much never threaten to fog or print. This design shouldn't fog (and I doubt it'll finish near the top), but for the most part I think his designs are harmless fun, and this fogging (while it shouldn't) is an exception to the rule.

But yeah, I agree with you, especially your final sentence.


We must check the site at different times, because I seem to see the pucker fogged almost every Friday, usually for much of the afternoon. I have no object to making an entry for fun (heck, I do the same every week!). What I do object to, though, is the flagrant and repeated use of multiple accounts to push this stuff to the top. Even if it only lasts for the first day, it costs lower entries that visibility and is discouraging to people who are honestly making an effort to enter.

Pucker voters: I realize it seems fun to support a message board friend, but support the guy with your one account instead of your family's collective 12, you know? Heck, if his stuff was legitimately this popular, he could make a nice, regular paycheck from having a Spreadshirt or Cafepress account. But cheating is not cool, and it gets lemon juice in the eye to watch this happen so often.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


Every time I watch a new design drop from the fog and this remains, God kills a kitten.

Seriously, this has to be like 100 votes for this at this point. Do you guys realize it's not even remotely well done?

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
geekfactor12 wrote:We must check the site at different times, because I seem to see the pucker fogged almost every Friday, usually for much of the afternoon.


I tend not to check the new derbies until late friday/early saturday, so you've got me there.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
AdderXYU wrote:Every time I watch a new design drop from the fog and this remains, God kills a kitten.


I'm laughing and going 'ewwww' at the same time. I agree, this is horrible and shouldn't be that high up. Unfortunately, we aren't the ones who are pumping up the vote. >sigh<

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


Yes! INDEED THIS IS MY WEEK TO HOST THE ANGRY COMMENTS ABOUT ARTISTRY AND SELF WORTH! I AM TRULY LIVING THE SHIRT WOOT DERBY DREAM!

Thanks again for all the support! How totally fitting that this week's theme is "Madness," as I apparently struck a chord with this one.

I truly appreciate your kind words and affirmation. Have a super day out there today, folks!!

capedcrusader514


quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

Can someone explain this I have no idea what it is or what it's about.

lonelypond


quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond
kenney9226 wrote:Yes! INDEED THIS IS MY WEEK TO HOST THE ANGRY COMMENTS ABOUT ARTISTRY AND SELF WORTH! I AM TRULY LIVING THE SHIRT WOOT DERBY DREAM!

Thanks again for all the support! How totally fitting that this week's theme is "Madness," as I apparently struck a chord with this one.

I truly appreciate your kind words and affirmation. Have a super day out there today, folks!!


too bad you got rejected...looks like you did madness too well ; )

eye4spot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


Rejected: Very confusing shirt mock up. I can't tell what's going on here.

I thought it would be rejected for the Chinese text behind all the lips (producing the voices?) which is clearly against the rules....madness is confusion, and although the design is not to my personal liking, I "get it".

The rest of the ranting is unfortunate- ...shirt.woot derby is a popularity contest...and if someone can twit, IM, post to FB or mass email their friends, family and fans to vote for a shirt design sight unseen, those friends, family and fans will probably buy that shirt if it prints. We all see this every Friday when some designs are getting 30 - 50 votes within minutes of the shirt posting...it is not an art contest, it is retail business.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta

Why is everyone up in arms about THIS, when a shirt showing a cat being hacked with a hammer is still getting votes? And what if the voters want a shirt with a pucker on it? At least this isn't showing someone praying to the porcelain princess or hacking animals or any number of things that should not be here!

Admit it, this is a million times better than Jesus with a whip or tacos!!

CutieMcPretty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CutieMcPretty
Re: Pucker gets all Zenyatta Mondatta


That's what madness looks like. You can't tell what is going on. I think you bowed down to the comments of others.

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
eye4spot wrote:Rejected: Very confusing shirt mock up. I can't tell what's going on here.

I thought it would be rejected for the Chinese text behind all the lips (producing the voices?) which is clearly against the rules....madness is confusion, and although the design is not to my personal liking, I "get it".


Is it really Chinese text there? Because my intent was to make "an angry scribble," and any similarity to Chinese text, living or dead, is purely coincidental!

Happy Tuesday to all the fine wooters!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail