Derby #140: Things That Start With the Letter S
+690

Split Spirit of Steam v.2

Split Spirit of Steam v.2
add a comment

Comments

dietotaku


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dietotaku
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2

i'm really surprised this doesn't have more votes @__@

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

This was one of my favorite designs from the 2 derby! Glad to see it show up again! Good Luck! GMV!

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Very nice, feels like a plying card. GMV

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Wow, this is really cool. I have always wanted to try a design like this here! Great character drawing, reminds me of Danger Girl, which I've always been a fan of. :D +1!

MadamAtom


quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Woohoo, I remember this! Voted!

dualityofone


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dualityofone
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


fantastic drawing, however, i have a strong aversion to wearing shirts with anime characters on them.

Please vote:


kaseyfleming


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
dualityofone wrote:fantastic drawing, however, i have a strong aversion to wearing shirts with anime characters on them.


it has some anime throw back to it but it doesn't read anime to me. It reminds me more of a michael turner illustration.

keelhaulkate


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate

TheyKilledKenny


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Very creative... GMV

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

Mordiceius


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mordiceius

I am all about some steampunk! Bring it on! Best of luck in the derby. I hope you win!


  • 29 woot.com (9 bouncing orange cats)
  • 47 shirt.woot.com

Karrde86


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karrde86
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Very good entry and well done. Sadly, it's not the type of thing I would wear. Good luck tho.

NOTE: It looks a little high on the shirt, with the top head almost reaching the collar. I'm not familiar with Woot's printing area, but could this be a problem?

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


this reminds me of a character in a computer game i used to have. I wish i could remember the name of it.

tlivingd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlivingd
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2



Bad ass. I wouldn't buy it on a T-shirt. However this would be sweet on the back of a woman's mechanics type work shirt.

meldavidson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages meldavidson
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


I like steampunk, cool design. But this image looks like each character is grabbing the others crotch.

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


As clean as this illustration is, it really bothers me that her eye is in front of her hair. I'm also not crazy about the mirrored image. Sorry. This one's not for me.

dmaz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz

[quote]Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2
[/quo

GMV, but would really REALLY prefer the original without the upsidedown girl...

Sachmoe64


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64

Hey everyone! Thanks for the votes. I'm honored to be in the fog. I can't tell you how much it means to me to read all these kind comments. I love the critiques and suggestions! Keep it up! You all rock!

almostrelly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages almostrelly
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


I really like the art and the idea behind this shirt, but I'm not fond of the way that you mirrored it. Back to back would've made it more ascetically pleasing.

flamespear


quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
cmdixon2 wrote:As clean as this illustration is, it really bothers me that her eye is in front of her hair. I'm also not crazy about the mirrored image. Sorry. This one's not for me.


The eye isn't in front of the hair... you can see through hair that's why you can see the eye. It would probably look worse if there was a clump of hair completely blocking out that part of the eye.

flamespear


quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear

I wish i could edit...so i could add more without posting two in a row...

Anyway about the mirroring i might like it more also if it was done side to side. I think you could appreciate both drawings more that way...but this is still really cool.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
flamespear wrote:I wish i could edit...so i could add more without posting two in a row...


For future reference:
This post also appears in the derby thread. You can edit it there, and it will show up here.
Click on "community at the top of the page, then on derbies, then on the thread for the derby you are interested in. If you are like me, you will realize that you need to fix your post right afterward, so you might be the last post and can get to it right away.

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
flamespear wrote:The eye isn't in front of the hair... you can see through hair that's why you can see the eye. It would probably look worse if there was a clump of hair completely blocking out that part of the eye.


A thick strand of hair like that would not be transparent. With the insane amount of detail in this piece it just looks like a layering mistake. He could've just placed the hair so it's not directly in front of the eye?

MajorCrash


quality posts: 2 Private Messages MajorCrash
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


I knew this looked familiar.

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=33901

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
MajorCrash wrote:Man, I thought I was going crazy thinking I had seen this before. Turns out, it's only been slightly changed from the previous submission.

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=33901


only slightly? he changed the entire bottom half. (well, not the "Entire" half, but you understand me, right?) Other artists have certainly gotten away with significantly fewer changes.

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Sachmoe64 wrote:Hey everyone! Thanks for the votes. I'm honored to be in the fog. I can't tell you how much it means to me to read all these kind comments. I love the critiques and suggestions! Keep it up! You all rock!


NO! YOU ROCK!!!! B^) im so glad you brought this back!! its the only shirt in the fog that i would buy right now so i hope it wins!!

redsugar


quality posts: 1 Private Messages redsugar
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


This is awesome. Love steampunk and this juxtaposition of engineer vs flower of society.

Since it's a playing card type design, would you consider putting a "suit" where the ace would normally go? Not a spade or club or anything -- maybe a gear? Anyway, I'd buy it as is. Gorgeous.

DivineAna


quality posts: 9 Private Messages DivineAna
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


WANT.

Man, I want this shirt so badly.

haezoo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages haezoo
almostrelly wrote:I really like the art and the idea behind this shirt, but I'm not fond of the way that you mirrored it. Back to back would've made it more ascetically pleasing.


I agree - I think I would like it better if the two figures were back to back. Love the style tho!

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
haezoo wrote:I agree - I think I would like it better if the two figures were back to back. Love the style tho!


This. Still voting and hoping to buy, though!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

SubBass49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


This is really well-done! As with many of the fogged entries, I could never pull off wearing it, but the artwork is friggin' awesome!

Sachmoe64


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
cmdixon2 wrote:A thick strand of hair like that would not be transparent. With the insane amount of detail in this piece it just looks like a layering mistake. He could've just placed the hair so it's not directly in front of the eye?


Idid try a solid mass of hair rather than transparent, but I think the beauty of the eye is more important than realism so I decided to have the eye show. I understand the issue with it though and I went with what I thought looked best.

redsugar wrote:This is awesome. Love steampunk and this juxtaposition of engineer vs flower of society.

Since it's a playing card type design, would you consider putting a "suit" where the ace would normally go? Not a spade or club or anything -- maybe a gear? Anyway, I'd buy it as is. Gorgeous.


If i could I would have had a Q and a cog in the opposite corners, but no text, and the cog by itself look out of place. Thanks a lot though.

I have also been thinking of making a full playing deck. I have Steampunk, zombies, WWII, vampires, icepunk (I may have made that up, not sure), etc. in mind for the suits so far... not sure what I would go with though.

Thanks everyone for keeping this in the fog so far!

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Sachmoe64 wrote:If i could I would have had a Q and a cog in the opposite corners, but no text, and the cog by itself look out of place. Thanks a lot though.

I have also been thinking of making a full playing deck. I have Steampunk, zombies, WWII, vampires, icepunk (I may have made that up, not sure), etc. in mind for the suits so far... not sure what I would go with though.

Thanks everyone for keeping this in the fog so far!



Bloody hell ... if you did a whole deck of cards in this style, I know I'd personally line up to buy one in a heartbeat. (Well, two, I suppose ... one to play with, and one to keep free of people's dirty, grimy fingerprints.)

Sachmoe64


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
endangeredomega wrote:Bloody hell ... if you did a whole deck of cards in this style, I know I'd personally line up to buy one in a heartbeat. (Well, two, I suppose ... one to play with, and one to keep free of people's dirty, grimy fingerprints.)


really? how much would a reasonable price be for it? and what would you like the other suits to be?

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Sachmoe64 wrote:really? how much would a reasonable price be for it? and what would you like the other suits to be?


I have to say, I'm very intrigued by your mention of "icepunk".

Maybe an elemental sort of theme ... Steampunk, Icepunk, Firepunk, Dirtpunk, Scubapunk, or so on? (Or maybe I'm just sick and overstressed and tossing out random rubbish? I can't tell the difference this weekend!)

As far as pricing goes ... it'd probably depend a lot on your production costs, I suppose. :/

Tomatoed


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tomatoed
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


I hate to nitpick, not really, but I see the theme of the shirt is steampunk, but this week's derby theme is the letter s. What on this shirt starts with the letter s?

Sachmoe64


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
Tomatoed wrote:I hate to nitpick, not really, but I see the theme of the shirt is steampunk, but this week's derby theme is the letter s. What on this shirt starts with the letter s?


Steampunk starts with S. Also it is the two sides of the same person (Split) with the two majorities of steampunk (workers and victorian high class) (Spirit). I focused on ideas and genras that start with S rather than objects and actions.

Stellardig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Very well designed. GMV

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Nice artwork man. The character looks great!


Schlagwerk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Schlagwerk
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


Great design, but it doesn't belong on a shirt.

kmh2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmh2
Tomatoed wrote:I hate to nitpick, not really, but I see the theme of the shirt is steampunk, but this week's derby theme is the letter s. What on this shirt starts with the letter s?


It may be just me, but it looks like the line of the arms from the two ladies follow an S shape. (This may be accidental, but it still looks interesting.) With such an open-ended theme as "S words" there is a lot of room for interpretation and I think this one does a great job of that. Beautiful art!

Shoppingdingo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shoppingdingo
kmh2 wrote:It may be just me, but it looks like the line of the arms from the two ladies follow an S shape. (This may be accidental, but it still looks interesting.) With such an open-ended theme as "S words" there is a lot of room for interpretation and I think this one does a great job of that. Beautiful art!


I think there is a growing group of people tired of "well, theres always some room for interpretation..."

no, theres a theme.. and this is a reprint with a new title and an upside down girl..
no S..
just a big wrench.. if this was W, you'd call it wrench wench.. H, hard working hottie.. etc..

seriously..

short cuts.. thats the S word for all these interpretations..

sad..

flamespear


quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Sachmoe64 wrote:really? how much would a reasonable price be for it? and what would you like the other suits to be?


playing cards...hmmm 5-10 dollars for a super artsy deck like that probably? if you got them mass produced you could probably make a ton of money.

flamespear


quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Shoppingdingo wrote:I think there is a growing group of people tired of "well, theres always some room for interpretation..."

no, theres a theme.. and this is a reprint with a new title and an upside down girl..
no S..
just a big wrench.. if this was W, you'd call it wrench wench.. H, hard working hottie.. etc..

seriously..

short cuts.. thats the S word for all these interpretations..

sad..


wow ...you're a mean spirited sad little person. It's steampunk anyone can see that it starts with an s get over yourself. It's a tshirt site.

walmazan


quality posts: 63 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2



I love the style and the line for this one, great work!

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2


how did this not win???? im so disappointed its not even funny B^(

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail