Derby #140: Things That Start With the Letter S

Starbucks Squirrel

So conceptually there's something similar, but the rejection is for the title.

Rejected because: So conceptually there's something similar, but the rejection is for the title.

add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Starbucks Squirrel



RESUB- Please click

Otherwise known as Sleepy squirrel solemnly stares as starbucks squirrel spazzes

I think mostly everyone can relate to one of these two critters. I personally am definitely the one on the right when I eventually roll out of bed in the morning (or mid-afternoon, depending on the day :P )

keelhaulkate


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


so cute!!!!!!!

ccazabon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon

rossianvance


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rossianvance
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Awesome Ramb, there is something about your designs that make me want to stop entering these contests. I bow to you.

-luna

NameyMcName


quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
Re: Starbucks Squirrel

I feel like that squirrel on the right.

I think I'd prefer this on a lighter color, but still- would buy.

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
NameyMcName wrote:I feel like that squirrel on the right.

I think I'd prefer this on a lighter color, but still- would buy.


Agreed, asphalt is just soooo overused, and this design would work on a lot of different colors. Red, cranberry, kelly, grass, baby blue...

colinm09


quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09

I hate chibi eyes; they are SO ugly.

-Matt Colin

paramecium10


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paramecium10
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


I like the idea, but if it weren't for the title I don't think it would be very clear that the squirrel is drinking coffee. Some kind of green logo on the cup ring would have made it clearer I think. Or steam coming from the cup. It kind of looks like he's chewing on something.

streetwalkincheetah


quality posts: 1 Private Messages streetwalkincheetah
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Kinda reminds me of this




PotatoLegs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PotatoLegs
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


I don't get it.

MusingMouse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MusingMouse
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Oh shock! Oh awe! Another original design. Not.

The idea of being jazzed up on coffee is overdone. The chibi animal is overdone. Yawn.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


It does look like he's eating the cup. From a distance both of those cups kinda merge and it looks like he's holding an inhaler, or smoking a bong.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

colinm09


quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09
bluetuba wrote:It does look like he's eating the cup. From a distance both of those cups kinda merge and it looks like he's holding an inhaler, or smoking a bong.


When I look at the shirt comp, it kinda looks like the squirrel is eating a human foot wearing a cast/sock.

-Matt Colin

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


learn some new tricks.

please.

Misskari


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Hey, lookit that. You attempted an expression.

Adam7986


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


It is incredible that when nothing is wrong with the design people stretch so far to bring ramy down. The inhaler and the human foot in a cast...Really? It's pretty obviously a coffee cup.

It's not something I will buy but seriously the ramy hating is getting ridiculous.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Misskari wrote:Hey, lookit that. You attempted an expression.


-guffaw-

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Adam7986 wrote:It is incredible that when nothing is wrong with the design people stretch so far to bring ramy down. The inhaler and the human foot in a cast...Really? It's pretty obviously a coffee cup.

It's not something I will buy but seriously the ramy hating is getting ridiculous.


I don't know that the "this is the same thing as always" critiques are stretching. As for the others, Wooters regularly have illegitimate critiques of what things look like on all tees. That's how woot works.

The coffee squirrel, however, looks like a drippy faced person from Close to Home with anime eyes. So maybe you could argue it ISNT the same exact thing as always.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Doesn't woot sell the designs using the artist's title?

Just seems like this would run afoul of the whole use of someone else's trademark rule.

edit: cool how drinking a Starbucks' latte makes your tail about 30% longer than your poor, uncaffeinated buddy's tail.

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Adam7986 wrote:It is incredible that when nothing is wrong with the design people stretch so far to bring ramy down. The inhaler and the human foot in a cast...Really? It's pretty obviously a coffee cup.

It's not something I will buy but seriously the ramy hating is getting ridiculous.


I'll give you that the complaints about the appearance of the coffee cups are a little bit of a stretch, but I would hardly say there's "nothing wrong" with this design.

My biggest problem (aside from the usual and/or what's already been said) is that the tail of the squirrel on the right looks stunted. Like the edge of the paper/canvas was reached and that was the end of it. It looks less than squirrel-like, consequently. If it was at least the same length as the other squirrel's it wouldn't be an issue. Call it nitpicking, but when you include a detail like Mister Sleepy carrying his breakfast (I actually think it's a nice touch!) but fall through on something simple, it brings a design down.

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Josephus wrote:Doesn't woot sell the designs using the artist's title?

Just seems like this would run afoul of the whole use of someone else's trademark rule.


Woot will change titles if they're unacceptable and/or if they can come up with something funnier.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
xazothia wrote:I'll give you that the complaints about the appearance of the coffee cups are a little bit of a stretch, but I would hardly say there's "nothing wrong" with this design.

My biggest problem (aside from the usual and/or what's already been said) is that the tail of the squirrel on the right looks stunted. Like the edge of the paper/canvas was reached and that was the end of it. It looks less than squirrel-like, consequently. If it was at least the same length as the other squirrel's it wouldn't be an issue. Call it nitpicking, but when you include a detail like Mister Sleepy carrying his breakfast (I actually think it's a nice touch!) but fall through on something simple, it brings a design down.


I intentionally made the tail shorter to try to differentiate between them more-so. For some reason the shorter tail made him look less active to me, which is what I was looking to do. Because of the color limitations on woot, I unfortunately didn't have the liberty of giving them slightly different tints in color, so I was looking for ways to give the two characters different personalities aside from the facial expressions. I guess I could have made the difference a bit less pronounced though. I'm glad you took the time to notice the detail of his bringing his food with him to work though instead of just dismissing the design at first glance, and can see your point in the critique.

Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed the design, I had a lot of fun putting it together (and as much as I tried, I still can't see the human foot thing). I also tried a lot of different shirt colors for this actually, but nothing else gave me the Monday morning kind of feel that I wanted. Maybe it's related to the fact that I feel like I relate more so to the one on the right, but I think it sets the mood well either way. It also helps that asphalt happens to be my favorite shirt color, though I know that isn't the case for everyone.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ramyb wrote:I intentionally made the tail shorter to try to differentiate between them more-so. For some reason the shorter tail made him look less active to me, which is what I was looking to do. Because of the color limitations on woot, I unfortunately didn't have the liberty of giving them slightly different tints in color, so I was looking for ways to give the two characters different personalities aside from the facial expressions. I guess I could have made the difference a bit less pronounced though. I'm glad you took the time to notice the detail of his bringing his food with him to work though instead of just dismissing the design at first glance, and can see your point in the critique.

Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed the design, I had a lot of fun putting it together (and as much as I tried, I still can't see the human foot thing). I also tried a lot of different shirt colors for this actually, but nothing else gave me the Monday morning kind of feel that I wanted. Maybe it's related to the fact that I feel like I relate more so to the one on the right, but I think it sets the mood well either way. It also helps that asphalt happens to be my favorite shirt color, though I know that isn't the case for everyone.


I don't see the foot thing either. I do think it might have worked better if you had made the tail thinner, less fluffy, dragging more, but the same length as your caffeinated squirrel. Real squirrels tails often are much thinner anyway. I can relate to the expression on the right, too.

Draug


quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


These squirrels look vaguely fox-like. Especially in the tails.

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

christinaba22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages christinaba22


Well I think this is a great design. The best one in this derby yet. If people want to complain about one design out of 50 or so out there to be voted on, they should walk the walk. Make your own shirt if you don't like one. Don't cut other people down. This one definetly has my vote!

Ellisera


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ellisera
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Love!!!

XshadowraithX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XshadowraithX
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


there is something about woodland creatures doing absurd things like this that I finds pleasing to me eye!

XshadowraithX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XshadowraithX
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


just read all the "critiques". Such picking over a design humph, guess i will do some intellectual pursuit too!

The tail of the caffeinated squirrel has twitching lines. The whiskers are also bent which i think is an awesome touch to being overly jittery. I think the idea that the cup is holding coffee is slightly obvious considering the caffeinated squirrel is wide eyed and the other one is like sleepy/grumpy. That is besides that there's a few empty ones lying around. The brown band around the cups are sleeves which I feel is another giveaway that its coffee. The tail distance I don't really get. Coffee wouldnt make a body part larger...I would think it'd make the tail like straight as if electrified.

and the grey is fine. i never had green shirts till i was introduced to Woot shirts. Now i've got the "winning the race" green shirt, the laughter is the best medicine shirt, the "you've got to try this guys" shirt, "spicy italian meatball", etc = LOTS of green shirts. At least I wont be getting pinched on st. patricks day anymore =).

GNitro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GNitro

I love the design, but agree it would be nice on another color. I have way too many shirts of this color. It will be a touch decision should it win.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

My point is that Ramy can't draw, or can't be bothered to try to draw things correctly. His squirrel looks like he's eating the coffee cup not drinking from it. And that coffee cup isn't all that clearly a coffee cup in the first place, so on first glance people see different things, another shot on his lazy "art".

[Mod: snipped non-critique stuff]

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
rossianvance wrote:here is something about your designs that make me want to stop entering these contests.
-luna


I don't think you're alone.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
xazothia wrote:Woot will change titles if they're unacceptable and/or if they can come up with something funnier.


well, they will, but the whole point was to have the design have something to do with the letter 'S'. without 'starbucks' it's just squirrels. and that isn't really as clever.

flamespear


quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


It's too bad we can't have more choices of background colors on the shirts here.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

You don't see these complaints on everyone else's designs because no one else does it. When it comes to perspective and proportionality not even the MSpaint designs at the bottom with 2 votes are as sloppy. I'll give you 3 examples.

1. The tail:

As xaz mentioned the shorter tail on the right one completely throws the design off. As ramy mentioned he wanted to make it look "less active." However, since the euphemism is bright eyed and bushy tailed and that's clearly what he's going for, make the coffee drinker bushy tailed and make the other one's tail thinner. Josephus already mentioned this.

2. The face of the right squirrel:

The tail can be ignored as a design choice (albeit a very poor one). What can't be pushed aside is the sloppiness of the face. Given the position of the ears we are obviously looking at a 3/4 profile. However, we see all the way through the mouth meaning the head is a full profile. Either this squirrel has a seriously deformed skull or ramy was simply too lazy to properly draw the same perspective on the head.

3. Eating the coffee cup:

While you can explain away that a jittery squirrel might be gnawing on the cup (as well he might) what is horrendously ugly and sloppy is the jaw. Take a look at the closeup view. The upper jaw juts way out over the coffee cup, yet the lower jaw is shown behind it. Since the squirrel is holding the cup nearly vertical it gives the squirrel the look of having a massive overbite. To be honest the lower jaw looks like a flat plane behind the cup. It looks very grotesque and will be much more noticeable on the printed shirt.

And that's the problem and that's why there are so many complaints. The drawing is sloppy. The perspective is sloppy. The elements are not internally consistent and it is never fixed from derby to derby. You won't see these complaints anywhere else because no other artist in the derby is this sloppy. There's not a single artist who has seen a fog that has ever had these problems with their designs. These designs would fail basic drawing 101 at the high school level and would barely fly in an elementary art class.

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Coffee jokes are a trope about as stale and flavorless as that cardboard cup the squirrel appears to be chewing on.

Someone mentioned the "inhaler" issue, and now I just can't seem to un-see it every time I look at the comp.

Sorry Ramy, but to me, this design is painfully bland and uninspired. Nonetheless, credit where credit is due, you certainly know how to appeal to the Woot masses.

Salinga


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Salinga
Re: Starbucks Squirrel

Both of the mouths looks weird, imo.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
streetwalkincheetah wrote:Kinda reminds me of this


picture of this link:




mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Two words. Internal consistency.

Every good cartoonist in existence is internally consistent. They make stylistic changes and often things are grossly different from reality (your Bugs Bunny example), but their style is consistent throughout the design. That's the problem here. That's why the tail is an issue. If both tails are small that is a stylistic choice. Changing proportions is just sloppy.

SeanCHICKEN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeanCHICKEN
MaliceKaiser wrote: But these arguments in his defense are just a load of gristle.


As are the critiques. The majority of people seem to like his designs, as shown by the number of votes he gets.

Adam7986


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
MaliceKaiser wrote:Again, you've got to be kidding me. As someone already said, Ramy's designs are the DEFINITION of formulaic.

No one is saying that cute anime-inspired designs are inherently bad. What makes them bad is poor execution, and Ramy's designs are consistently executed poorly. It's the same deal with literally any other art style.

I don't care if you like or dislike his designs. I don't care if you feel like defending them despite this. I don't care if you think everyone is overreacting with their critiques of his submissions. But these arguments in his defense are just a load of gristle.


What's the formula? I fail to see a pattern in his designs except that people don't like them. Cute anime inspired doesn't do it. Drakxxx one of my favorite designers on the this site has the same style he uses every time and no one gets on him because his designs look awesome.

Part of my argument was about what you are referring to as poor execution. Just because someone doesn't draw some thing to your standard does not mean it has no merritt, which is what you imply.

Adam7986


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
bluetuba wrote:This is hilarious because Ramy's art is precisely formulaic, almost all the shirts he submits are extraordinarily similar. Wanna know where the amazing creativity and technique all you guys adore comes from? "How to draw Anime" books. Where do you people come from?



Obviously this post went over your head. I am not implying that Ramy is the only true artist here... There are plenty of people I like more than Ramy. Drakxxx being a fave so score one for todays shirt. I am saying that if people here had an understanding of art and design beyond what they saw in an Apple ad they would know that things do not have to be perfect.

Eveyone comments about the mouth or the eyes, but no one says anything about the briefcase that isn't a perfect rectangle? It seems weird that no one chooses to pick on this, instead they just attack what they don't like. Thats not critique and it's not about anything other than your dislike of a stlye.

witelite


quality posts: 0 Private Messages witelite
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Im amazed at you people. when i clicked on the shirt i thought it was pretty cool, but not my thing. (i do like the art style though)

SubBass49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


That cracked-out squirrel is creepin' me out, so it must be done well!

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


As a coffee lover, I can really dig this shirt. However, something really bugs me about the coffee squirel's mouth. I wish it didn't go back so far, it's a little creepy ^^;. Overall though, this is very cute and funny. I'm always amazed that you can work with such few colors and make a very complete image.

Fatstrat06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatstrat06
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


because titles can't be changed...?

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Wasn't expecting this to get rejected over Starbucks in the title. He can just resubmit with another title though I guess.

I mean *I* sure wouldn't want to get sued by Starbucks either.

He might want to give the squirrel orange stripes though just to be safe on the "existing shirts" rule.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


Strange rejection, considering we just had a derby full of band name shirts. I guess I'll keep in mind to be careful about titles... :\

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Starbucks Squirrel


But, this might be a good time to perhaps make some fixes and try a resub? I don't know, I just hate seeing rejections on stuff so late in the derby. :\ (Sunday counts as late, doesn't it?)

Balloons and muscle relaxers!

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Fatstrat06 wrote:because titles can't be changed...?


As much as I dislike this shirt, I don't think a title should be rejection-worthy. They just had a derby full of trademarked band names. They also regularly change names of entries if they print.

There was also an entry rejected for being a backprint. I'm wondering if we have a new Rejectionator today?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
bassanimation wrote:Strange rejection, considering we just had a derby full of band name shirts. I guess I'll keep in mind to be careful about titles... :\


Starbucks = big scary corporation.

The rejection reason makes it seem like woot doesn't care that similar shirts exist though, which is really frustrating to me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
kylemittskus wrote:Starbucks = big scary corporation.

The rejection reason makes it seem like woot doesn't care that similar shirts exist though, which is really frustrating to me.


The fact that they mentioned the similar shirts probably means they were aware of it and they may have rejected it for that as well. I think you're right in that the scarier reason is probably Starbucks lofty corporate lawer fleet.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
mrwednesday wrote:Two words. Internal consistency.

Every good cartoonist in existence is internally consistent. They make stylistic changes and often things are grossly different from reality (your Bugs Bunny example), but their style is consistent throughout the design. That's the problem here. That's why the tail is an issue. If both tails are small that is a stylistic choice. Changing proportions is just sloppy.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, I just think it's not something worth nit picking over when there are others more worth it. Not that it matters as this has been rejected anyway.

auggie24


quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
bluetuba wrote:
He might want to give the squirrel orange stripes though just to be safe on the "existing shirts" rule.


Thanks! I just about spit out my coffee onto the keyboard over that comment.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail