Derby #196: Amusement Parks
+57

Dunk O' Kitty

Dunk O' Kitty
add a comment

Comments

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Dunk O' Kitty


Um... how the heck did that mouse get that cat tied up and then put him on a platform in a dunking booth!? Don't know but sure looks funny to me.

Here's another design a came up with for the theme. I hope people dig it. Open to all feedback good and bad. I hope to have a link for the detail's up later.

walmazan


quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Dunk O' Kitty


hahaha! Love it!

grrlmarvel


quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Dunk O' Kitty


In our house it would be one of the other cats trying to dunk their brother. Love it. GMV.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Dunk O' Kitty


Nice use of four colors!


wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: Dunk O' Kitty


Just wondering why the shark/piranha is missing from the tank?

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
wootvan wrote:Just wondering why the shark/piranha is missing from the tank?


I was going to put in a gold fish swimming but decided the threat of the cat getting wet was threatening enough.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Dunk O' Kitty


I'm surprised that this design isn't doing as well as I thought.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
midgerock wrote:I'm surprised that this design isn't doing as well as I thought.


I dunno...it just didn't speak to me. It's done well and all, just not my type of shirt. Not into kittehs.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 128 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
midgerock wrote:I'm surprised that this design isn't doing as well as I thought.


I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share.

The cat is oddly cartooned. The body looks rather small and cartoonish compare to the head which seems to have realistic cat features on a rather large head for the body. Cat's actually have small heads for their bodies unless they are kittens. Even if the cat is suppose to be a kitten the muzzle feels really large on the face and looks more like a large cat rather then a house cat.

This makes the cat feel off balanced and not as appealing. If you made the cat all cartoony or all realistic it might work better. Though the pose also feels a bit odd for a realistic cat.

I feel like the design is a bit complicated and big on the shirt. Some of the background elements seem unnecessary or are just not helping the design as much as they should. The large banner behind the rat for instance. I feel like the words should either take up the whole banner or the banner should not be quite as large. The slogan could be more interesting as well "Dunk O' Kitty" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

The background pieces look really flat to me even though I think you wanted them to feel like they were round. The pool of water under the cat is the object with the most perspective issues. The top lip of the pool curves up but the top of the clear part right under it curves down fighting the optical illusion of it being a round object.

The coloring feels a bit muddy and not as striking. This is probably an issue with using too many soft half tones around the lines. Sometimes when the shading is too soft on an image with bold inking it makes the coloring feel like it has no real shape. Adding in some hard edged shadows(maybe using a 5th or 6th color) along with the soft shading helps minimize that effect.

Some of these things could be okay, though I think the cartooning issue on the cat would still bother me, if there was a stronger concept or joke to this shirt. I feel like the cat doesn't look scared or worried enough. He could look a lot more interesting if he was puffed out like when cats get scared. Right now I just feel like there's not enough to the shirt to really make it interesting.

This doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It's just not as interesting as it could be. Anyway I hope this helps you a little.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
DianaSprinkle wrote:I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share.

Considering some of the entries in front of this, it must be something more.

To me, the cat looks like he enjoys this too much.

move along

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

DianaSprinkle wrote:I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share ... Anyway I hope this helps you a little.


Wish everyone would give, request, and accept feedback like this. This kind of well thought out feedback is gold.

Other considerations for this design might be to reposition the mouse away from the sign so it's given a clean, easily read silhouette, check the perspectives on the cylinders, and move away from a complimentary color scheme with an already complicated/busy design, or simplify the design and keep the colors. I think the idea is solid in terms of being Woot friendly and could easily be retooled into a highly voted entry.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
I first want to say, thanks for taking to time to provide the feedback you did. I ask for it weekly and never get it. also fyi, thanks for the feedback in the prederby thread with my other design.
DianaSprinkle wrote:I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share.

The cat is oddly cartooned. The body looks rather small and cartoonish compare to the head which seems to have realistic cat features on a rather large head for the body. Cat's actually have small heads for their bodies unless they are kittens. Even if the cat is suppose to be a kitten the muzzle feels really large on the face and looks more like a large cat rather then a house cat.

This makes the cat feel off balanced and not as appealing. If you made the cat all cartoony or all realistic it might work better. Though the pose also feels a bit odd for a realistic cat.


as to the rendering. I think may be more preference for you than mass preferences. I appreciate the thought but I don't think that needs to change. I am actually quite happy with the animals in how their rendered.


DianaSprinkle wrote:
I feel like the design is a bit complicated and big on the shirt. Some of the background elements seem unnecessary or are just not helping the design as much as they should. The large banner behind the rat for instance. I feel like the words should either take up the whole banner or the banner should not be quite as large. The slogan could be more interesting as well "Dunk O' Kitty" doesn't really roll off the tongue.


as to the banner that actually is how dunk tanks are normally set up. as this is set up right now is how you would see a dunk tank. I was going to initially omit the text but again it was need to break up the field of yellow. As to the title of the game being dunk o' kitty, well I think that again may be personal preference.

DianaSprinkle wrote:
The background pieces look really flat to me even though I think you wanted them to feel like they were round. The pool of water under the cat is the object with the most perspective issues. The top lip of the pool curves up but the top of the clear part right under it curves down fighting the optical illusion of it being a round object.


I agree with you on this an see what you mean the perspective is off and needs tweaking.

DianaSprinkle wrote:
The coloring feels a bit muddy and not as striking. This is probably an issue with using too many soft half tones around the lines. Sometimes when the shading is too soft on an image with bold inking it makes the coloring feel like it has no real shape. Adding in some hard edged shadows(maybe using a 5th or 6th color) along with the soft shading helps minimize that effect.

Thanks coloring has been a issue for me and I trying new tricks to get it together so I appreciate your advice on that.

DianaSprinkle wrote:
Some of these things could be okay, though I think the cartooning issue on the cat would still bother me, if there was a stronger concept or joke to this shirt. I feel like the cat doesn't look scared or worried enough. He could look a lot more interesting if he was puffed out like when cats get scared. Right now I just feel like there's not enough to the shirt to really make it interesting.

This doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It's just not as interesting as it could be. Anyway I hope this helps you a little.


again appreciate the feedback. I understand you don't find the concept and execution interesting, so that comes down to a matter of taste for you but I appreciate the elements which may make the design better apart from my concept and rendering.

@ tgentry, as I said I am thanks for the feedback and this may be the first time in a long time some one has taken the time to provide feedback. Thank you.

jerberry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerberry
Re: Dunk O' Kitty

I love the kitty; the big eyes and flattened ears do it for me! I love the colors,too. It does feel slightly boxy. Maybe a mouse getting ready to play would be cute, up front. Overall, I just felt like I wouldn't wear it, but enjoyed your work!

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
jerberry wrote:I love the kitty; the big eyes and flattened ears do it for me! I love the colors,too. It does feel slightly boxy. Maybe a mouse getting ready to play would be cute, up front. Overall, I just felt like I wouldn't wear it, but enjoyed your work!



thanks jerberry for sharing. It does make a difference hearing people do enjoy even though its not something they would wear. Thank you.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail