Derby #205: Mexico

Ay Chihuahua!

Like T-Bell's Revenge, off-topic. We're considering Taco Bell to be a strictly American thing

Rejected because: Like T-Bell's Revenge, off-topic. We're considering Taco Bell to be a strictly American thing

add a comment

Comments

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


A collab with Kevlar51.


mymovinman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mymovinman
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Swwet Work GMV +1

kevlar51


quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Thanks Boots! I had a good time with this one

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
kevlar51 wrote:Thanks Boots! I had a good time with this one


"Good time??" Was that all it was to you!? A "GOOD TIME!?" It meant the world to me, and all you can say is you had a "good time!" I'll never be as good as Walmazan, will I!? You were thinking about him the whole time, weren't you! ;)


nancyzas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyzas
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Ay Chihuahua is a riot! Next time try a margarita glass.

taylertot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylertot
BootsBoots wrote:"Good time??" Was that all it was to you!? A "GOOD TIME!?" It meant the world to me, and all you can say is you had a "good time!" I'll never be as good as Walmazan, will I!? You were thinking about him the whole time, weren't you! ;)


Well...it was Walmazan...his sweet nothings whispered in the ear really are hot...

taylertot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylertot
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


This is an awesome shirt design! I'm still waiting on your red zebra one coming in the mail...hopefully it'll be here soon. And naturally, I did get Kevlar's In the Library with the Wrench shirt. Two fantastic artists!

walmazan


quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Wow guy, awesome collab, you two guys rock hard! +1
Hay chihuahua!!!!!

kevlar51


quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
BootsBoots wrote:"Good time??" Was that all it was to you!? A "GOOD TIME!?" It meant the world to me, and all you can say is you had a "good time!" I'll never be as good as Walmazan, will I!? You were thinking about him the whole time, weren't you! ;)


boooootsyyy pleaaaaase!!!! it's not like that!!! you know you're the only collab partner for me! that walmazan guy ... he's just for fun every now and again ...

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
kevlar51 wrote:boooootsyyy pleaaaaase!!!! it's not like that!!! you know you're the only collab partner for me! that walmazan guy ... he's just for fun every now and again ...


Don't lie to me! You came home reeking of fruit with smiley faces!


kevlar51


quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
BootsBoots wrote:Don't lie to me! You came home reeking of fruit with smiley faces!


that may be true... but I came home to the slogans.

scruz78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scruz78
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Yes, yes, yes... unbelievably adorable. I want one!

killerorca


quality posts: 4 Private Messages killerorca
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Normally I don't care for cute items, but this one made me smile. There is only one thing stopping me from buying it though: the color. Is it possible to get a re-sub on a blue or olive green maybe? Red just isn't for me.

taylertot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylertot
killerorca wrote:Normally I don't care for cute items, but this one made me smile. There is only one thing stopping me from buying it though: the color. Is it possible to get a re-sub on a blue or olive green maybe? Red just isn't for me.


Red is all that is good in the world. Red also makes my boobs look bigger.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
kevlar51 wrote:boooootsyyy pleaaaaase!!!! it's not like that!!! you know you're the only collab partner for me! that walmazan guy ... he's just for fun every now and again ...


Your only collab partner? Your ONLY collab partner??? Need I remind you of this! Or how about this!!! It's over, kevlar. Please, just take your cute little robots and go. ::sniff::










GNitro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GNitro
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Your only collab partner? Your ONLY collab partner??? Need I remind you of this! Or how about this!!! It's over, kevlar. Please, just take your cute little robots and go. ::sniff::


GMV just for the epic thread conversation based around Kevlar's infidelity

kevlar51


quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Your only collab partner? Your ONLY collab partner??? Need I remind you of this! Or how about this!!! It's over, kevlar. Please, just take your cute little robots and go. ::sniff::


Yeah uhhhhh ... we should talk.

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


+1 for CHURROS! lol

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


VOTED.

Obese dogs make me happy.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Sweet design, you guys!

Dang it, my nearest Taco Bell is 100 miles away. (there are only 2 in the whole country :p )

starksfam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages starksfam
kevlar51 wrote:that may be true... but I came home to the slogans.


As much as I like the shirt, I'm loving this thread even better.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


design: hilarious. well done you two.
the discussion: hilarious!
kevlar: Babel fish! ;)

killerorca


quality posts: 4 Private Messages killerorca
taylertot wrote:Red is all that is good in the world. Red also makes my boobs look bigger.


While I support boobs and most boob related activities I cannot condone misrepresenting one's size to be larger than it actually is. So that is another point against red tee shirts to me. I am biased I admit, guys rarely look good in red, you ever see a person in red pants? case closed

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


This might be a terrible observation, but it kinda looks to me like this poor doggie got run over by a truck. Tire tread behind him, he's kinda flat and deceased looking, and he seems to have some sour creme or something oozing from his backside.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

PixelPants


quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


You guys do know you left the door to the comment thread open and the whole neighborhood can hear every word. I just came to drop off some compliments about your design. Guess I'll just leave them here by the door.

andrewdanger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewdanger
Re: Ay Chihuahua!

looks a little too similar to this:



I hope it doesn't get rejected.

raerae104


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raerae104
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Oh my giddy aunt! I have a chihuahua and her stomach totally does this when she eats too much. She took an entire half a pizza once and she's the runt. Also just so you know your thread had me almost falling out of my chair laughing at work.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
taylertot wrote:Red is all that is good in the world. Red also makes my boobs look bigger.


Really? I'll have to order several when this prints.

BTW - huge Lulz for the design and the thread. Nice way to start my morning.

spanchenblow


quality posts: 10 Private Messages spanchenblow
BootsBoots wrote:Don't lie to me! You came home reeking of fruit with smiley faces!


lol

I don't envy that pup's owners. Unless they're of the 'doggie fart, gladdens my heart' persuasion, they're in for a rough night.

cwendauthi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwendauthi
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Apart from skin tone and physiology, I'm pretty sure this is what I look like after eating at [burrito joint of choice].

Thread is hilarious.

holothuria


quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria

I don't think it's the intent, but this looks a bit like a "fat, lazy Mexican" joke.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

wootvan


quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Um, Boots, Kevlar wanted me to tell you that it's him and not you. He thinks you're really cool and beautiful and talented and great, but he's just not ready for real commitment. He'd tell you himself, but he's real upset and taking some strong medication.

amreli


quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Wow, that Kevlar sure does get around. Seriously, best comment thread of the derby.

Nice work, still not a fan of red shirts, but I do think it's what works best for the shirt.


potsy356


quality posts: 0 Private Messages potsy356
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


I dont know which is better, the great shirt or the lulz conversation about Kevlars getting around.
Great work guys GMV :D

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


As a chihuahua owner, gmv. Sweet collab!

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


I heard Kev was polyamartist.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

viscosity2004


quality posts: 7 Private Messages viscosity2004
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Seeing this pop culture reference makes me feel so old. :'(

( RIP Gidget <3 )

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Oh, snap! That sucks. I get the reason but, man what a bummer. And something about it strikes me as not very fair.

kevlar51


quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


I've really got to disagree with this rejection. The T-Bell design showed a guy in a sombrero having the runs from eating what was clearly taco bell--an american chain that serves texmex food.

Here, we depict a chihuahua (mexican dog) eating tacos and churros (both traditional mexican foods). So having a nondescript soda cup makes this off topic?

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
kevlar51 wrote:I've really got to disagree with this rejection. The T-Bell design showed a guy in a sombrero having the runs from eating what was clearly taco bell--an american chain that serves texmex food.

Here, we depict a chihuahua (mexican dog) eating tacos and churros (both traditional mexican foods). So having a nondescript soda cup makes this off topic?


Kevin's right. This is 100% on topic.
The Chihuahua is the smallest breed of dog and is so named for the state of Chihuahua in Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahua_(dog)

The Chihuahua breed originated in Mexico. This rejection is incorrect and extremely disappointing.










expo01


quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
kevlar51 wrote:I've really got to disagree with this rejection. The T-Bell design showed a guy in a sombrero having the runs from eating what was clearly taco bell--an american chain that serves texmex food.

Here, we depict a chihuahua (mexican dog) eating tacos and churros (both traditional mexican foods). So having a nondescript soda cup makes this off topic?




Kevlar is right and i think its a clean on topic entry , Chihuahua or Chihuaheño wich is the right name of the breed is a totally Mexican breed.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Man, the rejectionator got it waaay wrong. And it's too late to do anything about it....right?

Oh....wait....where did that bell on the soda cup come from??? damn.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

walmazan


quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


I think the chihuahuas are more mexicans than my enchiladas! Please reconsider this rejection!!

And I want it so bad!

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

walmazan wrote: I think the chihuahuas are more mexicans than my enchiladas! Please reconsider this rejection!!

And I want it so bad!


It was decided by the early derby Rejectionator (not me by the way -- there are multiple Rejectionators that form one Giant Rejectionator, Voltron style) that Taco Bell themed shirts are not about Mexico. I think that's a good call and I support it.

This is clearly about Taco Bell considering the bell on the cup and the Taco Bell mascot surrounded by fast food wrappers. It's the same concept as the other design, with a dog instead of a guy in a sombrero (both Mexican) and a slightly different digestive issue. The artists can resub and hopefully make it seem that there's a reference to Mexico instead of Taco Bell, which we'd fully support. Good luck.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
tgentry wrote:It was decided by the early derby Rejectionator (not me by the way -- there are multiple Rejectionators that form one Giant Rejectionator, Voltron style) that Taco Bell themed shirts are not about Mexico. I think that's a good call and I support it.

This is clearly about Taco Bell considering the bell on the cup and the Taco Bell mascot surrounded by fast food wrappers. It's the same concept as the other design, with a dog instead of a guy in a sombrero (both Mexican) and a slightly different digestive issue. The artists can resub and hopefully make it seem that there's a reference to Mexico instead of Taco Bell, which we'd fully support. Good luck.


Chihuahua are decidedly Mexican, so even if you consider Taco Bell strictly American, there is still a Mexican element in this design. Not to mention, Taco Bell may be American, but it's unquestionably Mexican influenced.

Are you going to reject all entries that are not composed of purely mexican things? Didn't think so. Terrible rejection.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Johndis5 wrote:Chihuahua are decidedly Mexican, so even if you consider Taco Bell strictly American, there is still a Mexican element in this design. Not to mention, Taco Bell may be American, but it's unquestionably Mexican influenced.

Are you going to reject all entries that are not composed of purely mexican things? Didn't think so. Terrible rejection.


The other Taco Bell design had a guy in a sombrero, which is a Mexican element as well. It was still a Taco Bell design. This one is a Taco Bell design, even with a Chihuahua. Since you weren't complaining about the other one getting rejected for the exact same reason this one was, I'm confused at your stance.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
tgentry wrote:The other Taco Bell design had a guy in a sombrero, which is a Mexican element as well. It was still a Taco Bell design. This one is a Taco Bell design, even with a Chihuahua. Since you weren't complaining about the other one getting rejected for the exact same reason this one was, I'm confused at your stance.


I hadn't seen the other one until just now. It shouldn't have been rejected either, at least not for the reason given, with the toilet paper indicating bathroom humor, it would have likely been rejected anyway. Not to mention, the other design was rejected shortly after it was submitted giving the artist time to make adjustments and ultimately a better shirt (which he did). This one got to stew for 3 days during which time multiple rejections came down.

At any rate, the consistency you are trying to demonstrate here would be much more impressive if you guys (not trying to single you out) were more consistent with your rejections from derby to derby and not just the occasional derby from time to time when no one there has much else to do.


Guess you can't please everyone ;)

kevlar51


quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


moral of the story: don't design around on your collab partner

wootvan


quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan
kevlar51 wrote:moral of the story: don't design around on your collab partner


grrlmarvel


quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
kevlar51 wrote:moral of the story: don't design around on your collab partner


Kevlar - I never knew this about you. Honestly I'm shocked. You seemed like such an outstanding and upright designer. Fishbiscuit called me crying over this. So sad.

lunadust12


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunadust12
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


best comment thread EVER. you guys are hilarious.

collinvh


quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


I personally feel as though both shirts fit the Mexico theme. It baffled me that this didn't get rejected earlier (after I saw the hammer come down on T-Bell). I could have understood T-Bell's Revenge being rejected for toilet humor but not "off-topic". Sorry for the unfortunate rejection.

wootvan


quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Perhaps the actual reason for rejection is the icon on the cup...come on, can shirt.woot really approve an image of a condom?

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
kevlar51 wrote:moral of the story: don't design around on your collab partner


Yeah! That's right! You got what's coming to you! I'm so glad I tattled on our design. ;)


paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


I would think this rejection would fit under 'no pop culture'. But oh wait - that wasn't a rule this week! Too bad the Rejectionator Borg Unit couldn't make up it's mind in time to give the artist a chance to remove the bell and try a re-sub. Sorry, I realize it's likely no self-respecting Mexican would go anywehre near a Taco Bell, but I really thought this design was awesome, and would place.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Ay Chihuahua!


Resubmit without all the fast food trappings! Maybe a margarita instead of the soft drink, a brown paper sack instead of wrappers, I think it's a funny enough idea to stand without the Taco Bell reference.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail