Derby #208: Four
+521

The Fourth Horseman

The Fourth Horseman
add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Death on a pale green horse, followed by the wildest and foulest beasts of the earth. Hope you enjoy

laughtrack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages laughtrack
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Impressive... You managed to put bunnies, squirrels, and zombies on the same shirt...

squarerootofpi


quality posts: 8 Private Messages squarerootofpi

krubdesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krubdesigns
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Awesome Design +1

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
Re: The Fourth Horseman


And here I was hoping that after last week you'd aim closer to "Aztec Sunset" and farther from some of your previous work. -sigh-.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: The Fourth Horseman


LOL.
Did you and Walmazan call each other to decide what to wear to school today?

move along

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
j5 wrote:LOL.
Did you and Walmazan call each other to decide what to wear to school today?


Huh. I just now noticed that.

As far as the design itself, it appears that Death is standing on the undead horse. Was that intended?

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: The Fourth Horseman


This is laugh-out-loud funny.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mymovinman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mymovinman
studio1172 wrote:Ramy, now you are just slapping us in the face.


Can you blame him!
+1GMV

mymovinman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mymovinman
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I have collection of Ramy Reaper's...and would love adding this one to it!!

Oxyminoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oxyminoan
j5 wrote:LOL.
Did you and Walmazan call each other to decide what to wear to school today?


Except Walza's designs are wearable by people other than 13 year old girls.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Oxyminoan wrote:Except Walza's designs are wearable by people other than 13 year old girls.


An interesting argument, considering his designs are often most lady and kid friendly Just a little fun tidbit of information, but my shirts generally sell about 85% or more in men's sizes except in a few select cases. Make of that what you will.

explodedwhale


quality posts: 5 Private Messages explodedwhale
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Here's what I see:
Death standing on a horse that is laying down. The position and size of Death and the way the horse's legs are make this a bit awkward for me. It's like Death is a low budget circus performer.

The expression on the horse's face is off to me. Maybe it would be better if he had teeth?

In between Death's hand and the penguin, there is something that looks like a loch ness monster with udders.

abojko


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abojko

My prediction? We have a winner and the first black t-shirt in my closet. What? No, I'm no racist. I also discriminate against creme and lemon. Can you make a creme shirt I would buy, RAMYB? No? I didn't think so.

illeander


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illeander
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I love the zombie bunny.

jerabatten


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerabatten
Re: The Fourth Horseman


With such an obscure theme as "Four," one would not think this derby was tailor-made for you as much as it seems to be.

And I think your men's sizes are going to overweight teenage girls!
Just kidding.

juliaL719


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Well, at least you're willing to admit you've beaten these tropes to death.

CindyToo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages CindyToo
Re: The Fourth Horseman


So. Much. WIN! :-D

dribbles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dribbles
mymovinman wrote:I have collection of Ramy Reaper's...and would love adding this one to it!!


+1 GMV another for my collection fingers crossed

p.s any one selling/trading http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=33882 in WL or WXL =) i need it to match my tattoo's lol

citystreetlight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages citystreetlight
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Although this is well done I find the only thing that connects this piece to the theme of the derby is the title. Although death is one of the horsemen of the Apocalypse, it appears as more of a stand alone concept. I just think it is too vague.

drakeji


quality posts: 1 Private Messages drakeji
Re: The Fourth Horseman


If this prints, maybe it will look better than the other RamyB death shirt:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Behold_a_pale_horse%E2%80%A6nqrDetail.png

The printed version was pretty terrible - none of the background detail was visible.

holothuria


quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
juliaL719 wrote:Well, at least you're willing to admit you've beaten these tropes to death.


Like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ramyb even takes heat for his moments of self-parody.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

raerae104


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raerae104
dribbles wrote:+1 GMV another for my collection fingers crossed

p.s any one selling/trading http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=33882 in WL or WXL =) i need it to match my tattoo's lol


try teetrade.org and search that shirt

dcponcho


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcponcho
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I don't really see the four theme. I guess it has to do with the four horsemen and since one of them is death.
However, I do enjoy this t-shirt. I missed out on beyond a pale horse, and I think this is a suitable replacement for it.

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I'm torn here. On the one hand, I love that you did a self parody and also included in the "horrible beasts" is a snake--interpret as you will--but as much as I like the self-depreciating humor it feels too much like it would be an inside joke.

Kinda like it's woot related humor, without really being directly about woot. It's still a funny shirt though.

TDOM


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TDOM
Re: The Fourth Horseman


this is the best shirt in this derby.

cwendauthi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwendauthi
Re: The Fourth Horseman

Love the concept/humor, Ramy.

explodedwhale wrote:Here's what I see:
Death standing on a horse that is laying down. The position and size of Death and the way the horse's legs are make this a bit awkward for me. It's like Death is a low budget circus performer.

The expression on the horse's face is off to me. Maybe it would be better if he had teeth?

I agree that the horse is off, but it's definitely not lying down. Would you like some tacky motion marks or would you then just complain that it's spasming on the floor, legs akimbo? It's a cartoon horse doing a cartoony run. Its expression throws me off--and teeth might be the reason. I kind of get the impression of a cracked out pony that forgot to put in its dentures.

And Death would, at the most, have to be kneeling on the pony--you can see the line of Death's bent knee in his cloak. I guess he could have some non-human physiology under there. If he had goat legs he could be standing on the horse.

explodedwhale wrote:
In between Death's hand and the penguin, there is something that looks like a loch ness monster with udders.

Are you talking about the pony's tail? -.- I think you're grasping at straws with that criticism.

j5 wrote:LOL.
Did you and Walmazan call each other to decide what to wear to school today?

You know, it's really funny you say that because---

dcponcho wrote:I don't really see the four theme. I guess it has to do with the four horsemen and since one of them is death.

citystreetlight wrote:Although this is well done I find the only thing that connects this piece to the theme of the derby is the title. Although death is one of the horsemen of the Apocalypse, it appears as more of a stand alone concept. I just think it is too vague.


---these types of comments are *not* on Walz's 4th horseman shirt. I can understand disliking a specific person. But borderline hypocrisy is something else entirely.

FWIW, I think it's a stretch for the theme as well. Definitely lots of better subject matter to plunder.

ChaosDoctor07 wrote:And here I was hoping that after last week you'd aim closer to "Aztec Sunset" and farther from some of your previous work. -sigh-.


You mean, like this? http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54719

abojko wrote:My prediction? We have a winner and the first black t-shirt in my closet. What? No, I'm no racist. I also discriminate against creme and lemon. Can you make a creme shirt I would buy, RAMYB? No? I didn't think so.

I don't think anyone would make a creme shirt I would buy and then actually wear. Right now I have 2, one from random-shirt roulette and one that I bought before I really though about a creme shirt would look like.

thurdl01


quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Someone's going to have to help me on this design. This isn't the only shirt I have with this problem, but to me this doesn't say FOUR. I only see one horseman. And I went back and counted a second time just to make sure I hadn't miss another one, or three.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Fourth Horseman


great characters, my favorites are the penguin and giraffe.

IgnatiusRiley


quality posts: 1 Private Messages IgnatiusRiley

This site has become a parody of its own awfulness.

Earlysong


quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
cwendauthi wrote:---these types of comments are *not* on Walz's 4th horseman shirt. I can understand disliking a specific person. But borderline hypocrisy is something else entirely.

FWIW, I think it's a stretch for the theme as well. Definitely lots of better subject matter to plunder.


I tattled on both of them for this reason but I doubt either will get rejected.

I love this website! ^^

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Earlysong wrote:I tattled on both of them for this reason but I doubt either will get rejected.


Death is traditionally the fourth and final horseman of the four hoursemen. Hence the reason death is on-topic minus the other three. Hope this helps. You can all stop tattling on Death now.

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
tgentry wrote:Death is traditionally the fourth and final horseman of the four hoursemen. Hence the reason death is on-topic minus the other three. Hope this helps. You can all stop tattling on Death now.


HAHA! I like the "stop tattling on death."

deisdestiny


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deisdestiny

mispost

texnewmex


quality posts: 0 Private Messages texnewmex

!

Poraro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Poraro

Yawn, yawn and yawn.

No doubt this will be in the top 3 but I don't see the big deal about it. He's pretty much rehashed some of his older shirts and put it into one and said it's the fourth horseman.

mafafu888


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mafafu888
tgentry wrote:Death is traditionally the fourth and final horseman of the four hoursemen. Hence the reason death is on-topic minus the other three. Hope this helps. You can all stop tattling on Death now.

Using that knowledge someone could have a picture of a quarter on their shirt since they are one of four.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tgentry wrote:Death is traditionally the fourth and final horseman of the four hoursemen. Hence the reason death is on-topic minus the other three. Hope this helps. You can all stop tattling on Death now.


That really doesn't make sense, man. You're putting everything that's remotely known as "fourth" into play- The Media is known as the fourth estate, a lot more well known than death as the fourth horseman of the apocalypse, so anything to do with newspapers or tv news is at least as on topic as death. Presumably the planet Mars is on topic now too- It is, after all, the fourth planet. Delta! That's the fourth Greek letter.

I really think death needs the context of the other horsemen to be legit.

spanchenblow


quality posts: 10 Private Messages spanchenblow
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Hey woot, can we get a 'downvote' option? Limit one per user per derby... Plleeeeaaaase?

This design is some epic trolling from ramy. Well played, sir...well played.

smklung


quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung
Re: The Fourth Horseman


i get my hopes up when Ramy does designs like "aztec sunset", and then he comes back into his old elements of throwing up cute animals on paper.
Its really frustrating, I feel like a close friend of a drug addict (Ramy). Ramy makes me proud sometimes, but more often than not he relapses.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Josephus wrote:You're putting everything that's remotely known as "fourth" into play


Yes. Why wouldn't we? It's a four derby.

Look, if it was just the grim reaper without a horse that would be one thing. If it's Death on a horse then he's on topic. He's the fourth and final horseman. Showing four of something is not the only way to go about the derby.

Jeni0816


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeni0816
dribbles wrote:+1 GMV another for my collection fingers crossed

p.s any one selling/trading http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=33882 in WL or WXL =) i need it to match my tattoo's lol


I have it in a Men's Large. Message me if you're interested...

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tgentry wrote:Yes. Why wouldn't we? It's a four derby.

Look, if it was just the grim reaper without a horse that would be one thing. If it's Death on a horse then he's on topic. He's the fourth and final horseman. Showing four of something is not the only way to go about the derby.


hm. well, if everything "fourth" is OK, then, never mind! I can't disagree.

-shocking, I know, but there it is. :^)

XshadowraithX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XshadowraithX
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I'm assuming Death is usually the last referred horseman hence hes the "four"th.

zOhEmGee i spy previous ramyb characters zoombified! <3 penguin. <3 bunny....wait...wasn't there like a ban on rabbits on shirts cuz of that time when all those bunny shirts kept coming out and winning?

(not that i have anything against bunny shirts, i have many of them...and i would love a reprint of "you gotta try this guys" for spare shirt's sake)

SJulian1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SJulian1
ramyb wrote:An interesting argument, considering his designs are often most lady and kid friendly Just a little fun tidbit of information, but my shirts generally sell about 85% or more in men's sizes except in a few select cases. Make of that what you will.


That means very little. I know a girl who owns practically all of your shirts in men's sizes.
Men shirts aren't *exclusively* for men.

paulandstacy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulandstacy
SJulian1 wrote:That means very little. I know a girl who owns practically all of your shirts in men's sizes.
Men shirts aren't *exclusively* for men.


I never buy the women's sizes--too tight if you actually have to wear a bra & they are too small through the shoulders--so I usually laugh at the "most lady friendly" category.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
SJulian1 wrote:That means very little. I know a girl who owns practically all of your shirts in men's sizes.
Men shirts aren't *exclusively* for men.


It's a meaningful statistic only in as much as it can be compared relatively to other shirts. Because of the number of shirts that are purchased, if one sells 40% in women's sizes and one sells 10%, even if that isn't a reflection of the exact number sold to either gender, it is still an indication of the fact that one was purchased more by women than the other.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who enjoyed this design

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
smklung wrote:i get my hopes up when Ramy does designs like "aztec sunset", and then he comes back into his old elements of throwing up cute animals on paper.
Its really frustrating, I feel like a close friend of a drug addict (Ramy). Ramy makes me proud sometimes, but more often than not he relapses.

You know he has a "4 seasons" shirt here in the fog, right?

In fact, here's a boost

move along

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
ramyb wrote:It's a meaningful statistic only in as much as it can be compared relatively to other shirts. Because of the number of shirts that are purchased, if one sells 40% in women's sizes and one sells 10%, even if that isn't a reflection of the exact number that sold in those sizes, it is still an indication of the fact that one was purchased more by women than the other.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who enjoyed this design


I've seen a -lot- of men and boys wearing ramy shirts. In fact, more males than females.

Chumpy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chumpy
Re: The Fourth Horseman


The joke seems woot related. Without a reference to woot, the shirt doesn't make any sense...

EBOLAinfectedMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages EBOLAinfectedMonkey
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I'm always amused at how many comments are on ramy's shirts.

...Haters gonna hate.

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

Exohdus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exohdus
blinddog3d wrote:I dunno, ..."85% of the people that buy your shirts are men who love men?"


BlindDog3D


LOL epic winning.

Yauchy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yauchy
AdderXYU wrote:Habitual theft is proof. Haters hate because what they hate deserves it.


QFT. I love a good dose of warranted internet hate, nom nom nom. Ty fellow haters

"Long live the fighters" ~ Muad'ib
"I got 99 problems, but ... A woot ain't one "

unsweetener


quality posts: 1 Private Messages unsweetener
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I find it troubling that "girls probably like these designs!" and "pony men might like these designs!" are considered valid/hilarious insults here. I mean, really? Maybe a little self reflection and a little less frothing internet rage over cute animals is in order?

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
unsweetener wrote:I find it troubling that "girls probably like these designs!" and "pony men might like these designs!" are considered valid/hilarious insults here. I mean, really? Maybe a little self reflection and a little less frothing internet rage over cute animals is in order?


uh, you don't think girls would like these designs? seems to me that girls are likely to like these...I wouldn't comment on whether gаy men like them, myself.

unsweetener


quality posts: 1 Private Messages unsweetener
Josephus wrote:uh, you don't think girls would like these designs? seems to me that girls are likely to like these...I wouldn't comment on whether gаy men like them, myself.


I do think that these designs are probably popular with girls! I just don't think that "This style is bad because girls like it" is a valid critique, which was suggested upthread. It's depressing. Same with the comment about men who love men, which was frustrating enough that I wanted to say something.

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Again, not trying to ride hate train to rage town, but the more I think about it, the more that I feel that this is way too much like a woot-related t-shirt.

Not trying to be rude, self-deprication is cool and all, but I think that if it weren't for certain parties hitting the "tattle" button like epileptic crack-addicts then this shirt might have been rejected by now. I get the feeling that the dozen or so hard-core Ramyb haters actually make it more difficult to get an off-topic design rejected because the woot staff see the usual suspects and ignores them.

kamukamu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kamukamu
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Those animals aren't dead. They're un-dead. Death, do your job right.

slowjam


quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I'm not one that regularly publicly hates on ramy designs, but honestly, how can you vote for this? The death character looks legitimately terrible. Just terrible. It looks like a 6 year old drew it. I understand he has a cutesy, unrealistic style with awful proportions and all (I see it every week), but this is something I expect to see on a refrigerator because the kid's parents don't want him to feel bad that he sucks at drawing.

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
blinddog3d wrote:I dunno, ..."85% of the people that buy your shirts are men who love men?"


BlindDog3D



As a man who loves men, I assure you that I have better taste / fashion sense than this. -_-

mspaeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mspaeth

Maybe this meets the derby criteria, as it's the fourth time each of those characters has been recycled.

I hope some more creative shirts win... I'd hate to end up with this one in a random shirt pack. I've gotten 3-4 ramyb designs that I won't wear that way.

sbaszto


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbaszto
ramyb wrote:An interesting argument, considering his designs are often most lady and kid friendly Just a little fun tidbit of information, but my shirts generally sell about 85% or more in men's sizes except in a few select cases. Make of that what you will.



Men's shirt sizes don't translate into that many men wearing the shirt necessarily. I know that my female friends and I prefer the cut and comfort of the men's size instead of the women's so we always buy them.

Exohdus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exohdus
spanchenblow wrote:Hey woot, can we get a 'downvote' option? Limit one per user per derby... Plleeeeaaaase?



I pray we get this option one day. These mediocre re-hashed pieces will still get tons of votes, but at least there may be enough people to counter that we can at least keep it out of top 3.

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
mspaeth wrote:Maybe this meets the derby criteria, as it's the fourth time each of those characters has been recycled.

I hope some more creative shirts win... I'd hate to end up with this one in a random shirt pack. I've gotten 3-4 ramyb designs that I won't wear that way.


Maybe that "Four Seasons" shirt should have a bead-eyed rabbit for spring, a bead-eyed squirrel for summer, a bead-eyed turtle for fall, and a "cute" grim reaper for winter. Seems to be the cycle he works on.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
spanchenblow wrote:
Hey woot, can we get a 'downvote' option? Limit one per user per derby... Plleeeeaaaase?

Exohdus wrote:I pray we get this option one day. These mediocre re-hashed pieces will still get tons of votes, but at least there may be enough people to counter that we can at least keep it out of top 3.

Hey, I know! maybe they can do a $1-$5 scale for voting. That would be awesome and innovative.

move along

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
llandar wrote:Maybe that "Four Seasons" shirt should have a bead-eyed rabbit for spring, a bead-eyed squirrel for summer, a bead-eyed turtle for fall, and a "cute" grim reaper for winter. Seems to be the cycle he works on.


Hey! I didn't know staff were allowed to criticize submissions (outside of rejectionating)

move along

chunkydesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
j5 wrote:
Hey, I know! maybe they can do a $1-$5 scale for voting. That would be awesome and innovative.


Since votes are the only deciding factor in a derby, I´m afraid that wouldn´t work... What you´d get would be most people voting 5 on their own design and then going around giving 1 to all the others.

holothuria


quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
j5 wrote:Hey! I didn't know staff were allowed to criticize submissions (outside of rejectionating)


Really? llandar is a card-carrying Ramybasher.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

joshuaelander


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuaelander
Re: The Fourth Horseman


I dare any of you that claim this is "drawn by a 6 year old" or is "aweful" to try and draw this pic then post it on here so we can all get a good laugh and you will finally realize the error in you judgement.

joshuaelander


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuaelander
llandar wrote:Maybe that "Four Seasons" shirt should have a bead-eyed rabbit for spring, a bead-eyed squirrel for summer, a bead-eyed turtle for fall, and a "cute" grim reaper for winter. Seems to be the cycle he works on.


Do I sense a hint of sarcasm :S

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
chunkydesign wrote:Since votes are the only deciding factor in a derby, I´m afraid that wouldn´t work... What you´d get would be most people voting 5 on their own design and then going around giving 1 to all the others.


Yeahhhh, that was a joke. Threadless, etc.

move along

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
holothuria wrote:Really? llandar is a card-carrying Ramybasher.


Yes, really, I didn't know staff personal opinion was allowed to surface. Now I do, though.

move along

slowjam


quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam
joshuaelander wrote:I dare any of you that claim this is "drawn by a 6 year old" or is "aweful" to try and draw this pic then post it on here so we can all get a good laugh and you will finally realize the error in you judgement.


Dear Josh United Arab Emirates Lander,

I brazenly reject your dare. I am not a woot "shirt artist" if you will. I have never and likely will never enter a derby. I just buy the things printed here.

A random sampling of people who criticize Ramy's "art" attempting to draw disproportional grim reapers is not a good way to validate the worth of Ramy's style. If all art critics had to be better sculptors than Michelangelo, there would not be very many art critics. I (or anyone else) do not have to be a great artist to say that this drawing really looks like crap. I could draw my crappy stick figure grim reaper, scan it and post it up here, and still think this picture is horrendous.

Also, a quick ctrl-f found that your "aweful" was the only instance of that spelling in the thread, rendering your mocking of woot shirt commentators baseless! Bwahaha!

Sincerely,
slowjam

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
j5 wrote:Yes, really, I didn't know staff personal opinion was allowed to surface. Now I do, though.


I'm pretty sure woot staff can do whatever they want. Ilandar has always been outspoken and you can sometimes catch others in discussion threads or in derby threads (usually praising)

And that was before Tgentry got hired on, he's probably the most talky of them all. Probably because he's one of us. ^^

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

greypanther13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greypanther13

I'm surprised by all the personal attacks in the comments. It kind of feels like kindergarten. I think what makes Woot awesome is that if you want a shirt, you vote for the shirt. If it doesn't make it through, maybe next time. It shouldn't be a reflection on the artist or how well they draw or if they want to draw a bunny each and every time. While it's a competition, it also makes business sense to go with what appeals to people. And certain designs are more popular. Doesn't make the artist less of one because he knows what'll get votes. If you don't like it, don't vote for it or buy it.

slowjam


quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam
greypanther13 wrote:I'm surprised by all the personal attacks in the comments. It kind of feels like kindergarten.


Yes, this drawing DOES look like it belongs in kindergarten. Hey-o. That joke wrote itself.

But honestly I haven't seen many personal attacks in this thread. "This shirt sucks" and "Ramyb sucks" are two different things. I've seen a lot of "this shirt sucks." Ramy actually does have good designs in derbies. The ones that don't involve poorly drawn cartoon animals tend to end up looking quite nice.

The reason you see so many scathing attacks every week from people is that these shirts are in fact (slightly) harmful to us. "If you don't like it then don't vote it and don't buy it" doesn't complete the story. The fact that 1 in 7 woot shirts (clearly I'm inflating this number, I know this style doesn't place every week) is a poorly drawn bead eyed animal pushes out other designs we'd like to buy time and time again. Fairly or unfairly, in some people's minds woot has become a "cute shirt" site, and foremost among the contributors to that style is Ramy. Of course people are going to lash out about that.

Frankly I'd rather see a site that is open to both criticism and praise of the works submitted, rather than some sort of pseudo-censoring "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" system.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
slowjam wrote:But honestly I haven't seen many personal attacks in this thread.
.
.
.
Frankly I'd rather see a site that is open to both criticism and praise of the works submitted, rather than some sort of pseudo-censoring "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" system.

Personal attacks are regularly deleted, so unless you visit often, you won't see them. He'll, I've even had non-personal-attack comments deleted, so ??? (Note that I'm not sure if the OP is referring to current state or some transient state of thread flux).

To be fair though, criticism of the work, if well or even poorly reasoned, is retained, so your second point stands.

move along

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
laughtrack wrote:Impressive... You managed to put bunnies, squirrels, and zombies on the same shirt...


Too bad the no zombies rule didn't last longer after the zombies derby, eh?

Doople


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doople
Re: The Fourth Horseman


Every shirt from Ramyb seems to be less and less original. It seems like you've run out of ideas. Every new submission from Ramyb is essentially the same. They've become unoriginal, boring, and each time its like I'm seeing recycled shirts from previous submissions. There is zero originality anymore. Even this one I could have sworn I've seen something very familiar.

I used to be a fan, and wonder why people constantly hated on these shirts, but I'm starting to realize the reason now. My prediction for next derby: more cute animals, nothing new like all the others.

Exohdus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exohdus
slowjam wrote:But honestly I haven't seen many personal attacks in this thread. "This shirt sucks" and "Ramyb sucks" are two different things. I've seen a lot of "this shirt sucks." Ramy actually does have good designs in derbies. The ones that don't involve poorly drawn cartoon animals tend to end up looking quite nice.

Fairly or unfairly, in some people's minds woot has become a "cute shirt" site, and foremost among the contributors to that style is Ramy. Of course people are going to lash out about that.


Slowjam nailed it. I will never ever pay for a 'cutesy' shirt, but I won't fault those who do. What frustrates me is that we've seen ramy put out some legitimately great art, and if he wants to sell cutesy thats fine...just put something out that isn't a trace of a previous winner.

papercaged


quality posts: 0 Private Messages papercaged

walmazan continually dishes out cute shirts with food items that have little button eyes and always end up in the fog. An onion with a face, peeling away her layers. Remarkably similar to a certain nude cupcake. Mustard bottle with a face. Broccoli with a face. Whole group of veggies with faces chased by a blender. Tacos with button eyes. And I never see these types of comments on his shirts, calling him unoriginal, etc.

I like both artists, just saying. :]

Exohdus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exohdus
papercaged wrote:walmazan continually dishes out cute shirts with food items that have little button eyes and always end up in the fog. An onion with a face, peeling away her layers. Remarkably similar to a certain nude cupcake. Mustard bottle with a face. Broccoli with a face. Whole group of veggies with faces chased by a blender. Tacos with button eyes. And I never see these types of comments on his shirts, calling him unoriginal, etc.

I like both artists, just saying. :]


I'll probably never buy a walmazan shirt, and I cringe a little every time I see one. But I have to give him credit because he at least has the common sense to use a different food/condiment each time.

mcosgrove


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcosgrove
Re: The Fourth Horseman


garbage like this consistently winning is the reason I check this site less and less.

grshpr76


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grshpr76
Re: The Fourth Horseman


i LOVE "My L'il Reaper" shirts.

atwjohnson1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages atwjohnson1
explodedwhale wrote:
In between Death's hand and the penguin, there is something that looks like a loch ness monster with udders.


What you see is the tail of the horse and the legs of one of the zombie animals.

draigun


quality posts: 23 Private Messages draigun
explodedwhale wrote:Here's what I see:
Death standing on a horse that is laying down. The position and size of Death and the way the horse's legs are make this a bit awkward for me. It's like Death is a low budget circus performer.

The expression on the horse's face is off to me. Maybe it would be better if he had teeth?

In between Death's hand and the penguin, there is something that looks like a loch ness monster with udders.


hahahaha I love this.. so much.

mogthemoogle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mogthemoogle
spanchenblow wrote:Hey woot, can we get a 'downvote' option? Limit one per user per derby... Plleeeeaaaase?

This design is some epic trolling from ramy. Well played, sir...well played.


Well, honestly, I think he deserves to dish out some payback. His designs always get some epic hypocritical trolling.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail