Derby #225: Australia
+235

Blue Ring Love

Blue Ring Love
add a comment

Comments

anemality


quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
Re: Blue Ring Love


Welp. This is my first go here. I might puke, but that's okay. It was fun -- this was also my first time doing ANYTHING like this, so I'll let this dangerous cute thing speak for itself. Five colors on asphalt.

DEETS:


See the big picture here!

YEP!

zekecatz


quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
Re: Blue Ring Love


Nice job, especially the eyes. Welcome to Woot.

captainassassin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainassassin

Good color choices, the design fits the shirt well, and the theme is well presented.

Nice work!

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
Re: Blue Ring Love


A blue-ringed octopus shirt!? My pre-Derby prayers have been answered. Good stuff, indeed. Just have a few suggestions:

1) Might just be me, but the head seems just a little bit off on the top portion of the octopus (that is, the part that is coming from the left side to the back).

2) Those jellyfish look rather phallic, to the point of being pretty noticeable. Once you see it (look at the "head" of the jellyfish, you won't be able to unsee it.

That being said, once again, very good job, particularly as your first shot at this kind of thing. I am also particularly pleased that you tied in the "Australia" bit of the theme, rather than just an octopus itself. I highly look forward to seeing any future work you submit to future Derbies.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

anemality


quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:
1) Might just be me, but the head seems just a little bit off on the top portion of the octopus (that is, the part that is coming from the left side to the back).


Probably. I looked up a bunch of references but I will admit, this is the first time I've ever drawn an octopus anyway. It's hard to figure out positioning/perspective on the little buggers. D:

ChaosDoctor07 wrote:
2) Those jellyfish look rather phallic, to the point of being pretty noticeable. Once you see it (look at the "head" of the jellyfish, you won't be able to unsee it.


OH GOD. *deletedeletedeletedelete-- no jk, no delete* I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time I draw jellies (another subject I am unfamiliar with) but my intention was definitely NOT to make them look...weiny-y.

ChaosDoctor07 wrote:
That being said, once again, very good job, particularly as your first shot at this kind of thing. I am also particularly pleased that you tied in the "Australia" bit of the theme, rather than just an octopus itself. I highly look forward to seeing any future work you submit to future Derbies.


Thank you much for the suggestions and compliment! :D

missmelis


quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
Re: Blue Ring Love


This is great, anemality! The shading and placement are terrific - it looks like you've been doing this for years!

But of course...

ChaosDoctor07 wrote: 2) Those jellyfish look rather phallic, to the point of being pretty noticeable. Once you see it (look at the "head" of the jellyfish), you won't be able to unsee it.
... now I can't unsee it. Damyew, ChaosDoctor07! *shakes fist crankily*

However, overall the design is really visually appealing. Nice job!

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

purina


quality posts: 0 Private Messages purina
Re: Blue Ring Love


+1 Octopi and jellies, another must have shirt in this derby

qetza


quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza
Re: Blue Ring Love


Nice colors and the design looks great on the shirt!

timbudtwo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages timbudtwo
purina wrote:+1 Octopi and jellies, another must have shirt in this derby


Only one octopus. And octopi is an incorrect pluralization. Octo = greek, pi = latin. -podes (greek) or -es (english) suffixes are technically correct. However, everyone knows what you mean.

Also, I love the shape of the jelly fish. Now i REALLY want to buy one just so I can see if other people notice. Or it will just be my little secret.

djkturkey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages djkturkey
Re: Blue Ring Love


LOVE IT! I used to have one of these little guys. Absolutely amazing design, outside of the jellies. =P Welcome to Woot!

llamassassin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages llamassassin
Re: Blue Ring Love


He looks all warm and snuggly...which strikes me as an odd thing to say about an octopus...

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Blue Ring Love




  • Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • I like the Starbucks here that's better than the other one; cause the other one's not as good.

Jessara


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jessara
timbudtwo wrote:Only one octopus. And octopi is an incorrect pluralization. Octo = greek, pi = latin. -podes (greek) or -es (english) suffixes are technically correct. However, everyone knows what you mean.

Also, I love the shape of the jelly fish. Now i REALLY want to buy one just so I can see if other people notice. Or it will just be my little secret.


Oh, call them octopuritan and try not to think about Ian Fleming. Or octopuddies, as in I Tot I Taw A.

Jessara


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jessara
Jessara wrote:Oh, call them octopuritan and try not to think about Ian Fleming. Or octopuddies, as in I Tot I Taw A.


Falling over laughing here. The Woot Puritanbots are better than usual!

marytsunami


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marytsunami
Re: Blue Ring Love


where can i buy this.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail