Derby #225: Australia

The Last Stand

Nice, but no pop culture this week.

Rejected because: Nice, but no pop culture this week.

add a comment

Comments

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood

Link to an enlarged version.

Thanks for looking.

(And thanks to WierdBMD for the idea )

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood

Argh. Pop culture is so vague
Well that sucks. Does anyone know if I can still submit this as a daily?

WierdBMD


quality posts: 4 Private Messages WierdBMD
dreadwood wrote:Link to an enlarged version.

Thanks for looking.

(And thanks to WierdBMD for the idea )


Thanks for the awesome design. I didn't think it was pop culture either. When in mainstream today (or even outside of the mainstream) do you see RISK mentioned? RISK was originally released in the US in 1959 and has not been created into a movie or any notable video game since it's origination. Albeit the only people that would define this shirt as "pop-culture" would be the Woot community. I don't know whether to be upset about that (no shirt) or happy (because that describes the Woot crowd).

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
dreadwood wrote:Argh. Pop culture is so vague
Well that sucks. Does anyone know if I can still submit this as a daily?


It's happened before.

Pop culture doesn't have super popular to be considered such, nor is it limited to only the present era. I'm won't be surprised if someone submitting a blue koala this derby would be rejected as pop culture just the same, even though the store in context went bankrupt like 20 years ago.

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
WierdBMD wrote:Thanks for the awesome design. I didn't think it was pop culture either. When in mainstream today (or even outside of the mainstream) do you see RISK mentioned? RISK was originally released in the US in 1959 and has not been created into a movie or any notable video game since it's origination. Albeit the only people that would define this shirt as "pop-culture" would be the Woot community. I don't know whether to be upset about that (no shirt) or happy (because that describes the Woot crowd).


Ah well, hopefully I can use it somewhere. Thanks again for the idea.

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
Narfcake wrote:It's happened before.

Pop culture doesn't have super popular to be considered such, nor is it limited to only the present era. I'm won't be surprised if someone submitting a blue koala this derby would be rejected as pop culture just the same, even though the store in context went bankrupt like 20 years ago.


Good to know. Your knowledge of woot-lore/history is uncanny. Thanks a ton (:

Cormano


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cormano
Re: The Last Stand


So sorry this got rejected

But am I just dumb or what's the landmass all the little yellow guys are standing on

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
Cormano wrote:So sorry this got rejected

But am I just dumb or what's the landmass all the little yellow guys are standing on


Looks like Siam/Southeast Asia to me.

Cormano


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cormano
Narfcake wrote:Looks like Siam/Southeast Asia to me.


Southeast Asia? Oh dear God - is that why they're yellow?

The Tim


quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
WierdBMD wrote:RISK was originally released in the US in 1959 and has not been created into a movie or any notable video game since it's origination.

I beg to differ. RISK: Factions by EA, available on PC, Xbox Live, and PSN.

seacore


quality posts: 0 Private Messages seacore

If this became a daily tshirt, I'd buy it, but I'd rather the invading army be a different colour, just to avoid the racist interpretation.

Esoteric1081


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Esoteric1081
Re: The Last Stand


This is what I thought (after marsupials) when I saw the derby. If I had artistic ability I would have tried something similar.
Koalas are way more popular than this nerdy game. I wish this this was not rejected.

adumb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages adumb
Re: The Last Stand


wish this wasn't rejected...awesome idea!


dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

seacore wrote:If this became a daily tshirt, I'd buy it, but I'd rather the invading army be a different colour, just to avoid the racist interpretation.


I see the possible confusion with the color of the invading army, but I honestly did not even think of this. I had already used 6 colors, so it needed to be one of the ones I had already used, and I thought this one looked the best. Sorry for any confusion.

dialingwand


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dialingwand

I would buy this in a second. My favourite design of this derby.

adamant628


quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
The Tim wrote:I beg to differ. RISK: Factions by EA, available on PC, Xbox Live, and PSN.



Pretty sure he said notable.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail