Derby #229: Roleplaying in Everyday Life
+457

Kitty evolution

Kitty evolution
add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Kitty evolution


They grow up so fast :`)

D3lusional


quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
Re: Kitty evolution


Ok, that's cute.

drakepieper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drakepieper
Re: Kitty evolution


Is there a way I can get this shirt!?

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: Kitty evolution


I don't get it. Is this based on a particular game in which one thing "evolves" into another? Because, without that, it isn't kittys who become cats, it's kittens, and they don't do it by evolving. Somebody please 'splain?

asmadasrabbits


quality posts: 3 Private Messages asmadasrabbits
Nekkochan wrote:I don't get it. Is this based on a particular game in which one thing "evolves" into another? Because, without that, it isn't kittys who become cats, it's kittens, and they don't do it by evolving. Somebody please 'splain?


Pokemon?

kbsig106


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kbsig106
Re: Kitty evolution


So true, you buy a kitty and through the wonder of nature you end up with a cat that owns you.

raevynpheather


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raevynpheather
asmadasrabbits wrote:Pokemon?


Pokemon is not a tabletop RPG. It is a video game and a card game.

Aslo, I am not a Ramyb hater, as I own 20+ of his shirts, I am just annoyed that this derby is supposed to be about tabletop RPGs and everyone is doing video games.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
raevynpheather wrote:Pokemon is not a tabletop RPG. It is a video game and a card game.

Aslo, I am not a Ramyb hater, as I own 20+ of his shirts, I am just annoyed that this derby is supposed to be about tabletop RPGs and everyone is doing video games.


I'm just going based off what tgentry said in the prederby thread

tgentry wrote:...tabletop or video game isn't important so long as it's clear we're dealing with role-playing in some way. SFW role-playing that is.


I hope that clears up why there are so many video game shirts around. I only have a little bit of experience with tabletop rpgs, so I wanted to do a design based on what I know better

Mogar


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mogar
ramyb wrote:They grow up so fast :`)


This so perfect describes my relationship with felines.

cptgone


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone
uninspired designs...
lloyd2002 wrote:that miraculously get a rush of votes the first day or so


i'm new here (not a designer, just a happy customer) and i noticed that too (dunno if it was a coincidence, and who's to blame if not).

couldn't woot.com check for IP? that should make it harder to cheat.

lyonscc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
cptgone wrote:uninspired designs...


i'm new here (not a designer, just a happy customer) and i noticed that too (dunno if it was a coincidence, and who's to blame if not).

couldn't woot.com check for IP? that should make it harder to cheat.


It might make it harder, but there are a number of businesses and colleges that run their networks through a proxy-IP, which would give a ton of false-positives (I run a few websites on the side, and when we try to do verification via IP addresses, it gets pretty dicey).

I think Woot's primary method to prevent cheating like that is the fact that you have to have purchased something to be able to vote, and once you purchase something, Woot has the name and address of the customer.

dmaz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
lloyd2002 wrote:uninspired, recycled cats/turtles/penguins/bunnies that marginally meet derby theme


Aside from a lot of stuff being discussed that I don't really agree with, THIS, I do agree with. At least we can take comfort that it most likely won't print in the midst of some fresh designs that are actually getting attention for once.

lemonlade


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lemonlade
Re: Kitty evolution


>_< I am wearing one of your other shirts, while thinking how much I hope this wins so I can buy it!

redburr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redburr
Re: Kitty evolution


To be honest if I was to go off the whole tabletop rpg thing I am not really in love with any of the shirts there are none of the rpg shirts I've seen that I would wear. So since I can't find any of those I pick this one because my ever growing army of cat shirts needs more recruits and well it is a cute shirt. Very well done despite the whole not going on the tabletop gist they kinda meant.

Pheline


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pheline
raevynpheather wrote:Pokemon is not a tabletop RPG. It is a video game and a card game.

Aslo, I am not a Ramyb hater, as I own 20+ of his shirts, I am just annoyed that this derby is supposed to be about tabletop RPGs and everyone is doing video games.


er, I dunno- what is a real definition of "role playing games"? I really don't know, as I haven't played any- but I have seen people turn Pokemon into one- yes, younger people, but there isn't an age limit to whom a designer should appeal, is there?

icemutt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages icemutt
Re: Kitty evolution


I have some friends who have turned the pokemon base into a tabletop, and I can see it as a basic handheld rpg, so this is really sweet to me.

Plus I think it would go well with my "super effective" tee from dianasprinkle.

Good luck!

aleafloor


quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor
icemutt wrote:I have some friends who have turned the pokemon base into a tabletop, and I can see it as a basic handheld rpg, so this is really sweet to me.



If you go by that then ANYTHING could be turned into a role play tabletop and therefore anything could fall into this category. In it's base purpose though Pokemon isn't a role play game. I think this one is a bit of a stretch when it comes to fitting into the topic.

Is it cute? Sure, I just don't see how it fits.

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Re: Kitty evolution


To be fair, they do say "tabletop RPG CONCEPTS" [emphasis added]. I don't have enough experience to say for certain that there is a tabletop RPG with evolution or something similar, but it is possible for this to be a Pokemon reference while still being on topic as a representation of an RPG concept that ISN'T Pokemon.

jvcline


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvcline
HeartlineTwist wrote:To be fair, they do say "tabletop RPG CONCEPTS" [emphasis added]. I don't have enough experience to say for certain that there is a tabletop RPG with evolution or something similar, but it is possible for this to be a Pokemon reference while still being on topic as a representation of an RPG concept that ISN'T Pokemon.


Please. He even has the same/similar font type as Pokemon. This is just an example of not being able to meet the OBVIOUSLY intended criteria of the submission being tabletop-related and hunting for an excuse to glorify nothing more than cutesyness.

It's not inspired, and it's barely original, yet it still racks up a boatload of votes.

Sickening.

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
asmadasrabbits wrote:Pokemon?


Well, that explains why I didn't get it. I know nothing about Pokemon!

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
jvcline wrote:Please. He even has the same/similar font type as Pokemon. This is just an example of not being able to meet the OBVIOUSLY intended criteria of the submission being tabletop-related and hunting for an excuse to glorify nothing more than cutesyness.

It's not inspired, and it's barely original, yet it still racks up a boatload of votes.

Sickening.


Since people often elect not to read before jumping to conclusions, I figured I would post this again. Quoted from tgentry, renowned woot staff member, from before the start of the derby.

"...tabletop or video game isn't important so long as it's clear we're dealing with role-playing in some way. SFW role-playing that is." (bold added for emphasis)

That is all

girlysatan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages girlysatan

Long Post ahead...
What's with all the pokemon hate? I think this entry fits fine in this derby. Pokemon is actually a card game (aka tabletop), not that it matters since they said role-playing is more important. In that case, I always thought of the game itself as being a Role Playing Game, because at the root of it:


  1. you are role playing a kid that is given a quest: to fill your uncle/grandpa/crazyoldguyfromthevillage's pokedex with ALL the pokemon!
  2. you go off and adventure with your base fire/water/plant/insomegameselectric pokemon (kind of like a base weapon/base stats you start with in D&D)
  3. all your pokemon have stats, which you can raise or change (again, like those stupid sheets without the need to erase or redo them all over again because its digital and not a freaking sheet of paper >.<)
  4. there are the usual monsters you fight out in the field (OMGbigspidersAAAH could be OMGspearowsEEEE), or recurring baddies that you have to fight within the storyline, plus your rival, that I always named jerkface or another name that I probably can't post =3

Overall I think there are plenty of other ways it can be seen as an RPG. RPG video games were just based off the table top games anyway until they evolved into what they are now (heh get it? evolved? no?). I think that's why they allowed role playing in general.

Also there are plenty of entries that don't completely fit "tabletop rpg concepts" but they haven't been rejected. I'm sure they are willing to let the artist work something up especially when they have a small time frame. Can you make up a brand new idea, design it, make it polished enough to get submitted, and send it in the next day? What about three like he normally does? It takes me weeks to make a piece of art, whether its digital or not. I make pixel art, and you would think its easy. But getting the shading correct can take hours even if you are experienced, and don't even think you can get it done fast if you work 8-9 hours a day. Mine aren't even large pieces, they are less than 50pxl in length XD

Ramyb knows his audience. That's why he gets so many votes. He's not a cheater, or someone who makes something that doesn't fit. He makes his art so it appeals to a wide range of people. And it shows when he wins, because they sell like crazy. I just don't like to see so much disdain for someone who does very good work over and over again.

missmissa07


quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
Re: Kitty evolution


I would like to point out to everyone that Pokemon is, in its own way, an RPG. In the games, you play the part of a youngster who goes on his/her way to become the ultimate Pokemon master. In this sense, you are playing a role that does not exist in real life. To quote from Wikipedia:
A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.
-In the Pokemon games, you are assuming the role of the Pokemon trainer. You act out this role by catching Pokemon and advancing the story through battling gym leaders, etc. It is, without a doubt, an RPG.

Also--Yes, it is a video game--but so are things including Final Fantasy and WOW. Surely you wouldn't say that those video games could not be accepted in this derby?

I agree that Ramy's designs often skirt the line of theme, but I actually believe this shirt is very on-topic and is much more so than many of the other entries this week.

smklung


quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung
Re: Kitty evolution


Regardless if this design is on topic or not, it's uninspired and uninteresting anyway. Even the Ramyb minions haven't loved it enough to push it into the fog yet.

aspherical


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aspherical
missmissa07 wrote:I would like to point out to everyone that Pokemon is, in its own way, an RPG. In the games, you play the part of a youngster who goes on his/her way to become the ultimate Pokemon master. In this sense, you are playing a role that does not exist in real life. To quote from Wikipedia:
A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.
-In the Pokemon games, you are assuming the role of the Pokemon trainer. You act out this role by catching Pokemon and advancing the story through battling gym leaders, etc. It is, without a doubt, an RPG.

Also--Yes, it is a video game--but so are things including Final Fantasy and WOW. Surely you wouldn't say that those video games could not be accepted in this derby?

I agree that Ramy's designs often skirt the line of theme, but I actually believe this shirt is very on-topic and is much more so than many of the other entries this week.


Going by your definition, Halo is an RPG.

missmissa07


quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
aspherical wrote:Going by your definition, Halo is an RPG.


I'd say that the story line of Halo could be considered an RPG. Most video games can.

Also, Wikipedia's definition, not my own.

joemail11


quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
Re: Kitty evolution


An RPG has a character or group of characters that you control and usually, create, as they progress through a fictional storyline. Throughout the game, you gradually power up the skills, stats, and equipment of your characters as the enemies get progressively tougher, eventually culminating in a boss battle. Thus, Pokemon is certainly an RPG, as you level up and evolve your monsters to prepare for tougher trainers and, eventually, the Elite Four. Halo, however, is not an RPG, as your pre-defined character's skills remain constant throughout the game. Mario games are not RPGs for the same reason.

Therefore, the topic of this shirt is firmly in the realm of this derby.

sanishcoale


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sanishcoale
Re: Kitty evolution


Legit.

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
drakepieper wrote:Is there a way I can get this shirt!?


nope

that was fun while it lasted!

unicornears


quality posts: 0 Private Messages unicornears

Def. Pokemon. This is too cute! Hope it won!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail