Derby #245: Poetry Illustrated

Tell Tale

So good, but we're pretty sure this is a short story.

Rejected because: So good, but we're pretty sure this is a short story.

add a comment

Comments

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Tell Tale


Very cool. Love the textures!

poeju


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poeju
Re: Tell Tale


Great design and you get my vote, but the Tell-Tale Heart isn't a poem, it's a short story.

Dolemite


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite
poeju wrote:Great design and you get my vote, but the Tell-Tale Heart isn't a poem, it's a short story.


TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous...

for this entry that is.

alephnull2k1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alephnull2k1
poeju wrote:Great design and you get my vote, but the Tell-Tale Heart isn't a poem, it's a short story.


But it was written by a Poe...so it's like 75% there...

missmissa07


quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
poeju wrote:Great design and you get my vote, but the Tell-Tale Heart isn't a poem, it's a short story.


I have to agree .

anamya


quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya

Aw, and it's so pretty too... If it gets pulled, it will be sad.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Tell Tale


It's a poem


Nothing follows.

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: Tell Tale


The textures are fantastic, but I can't stop seeing wood "armor" with the way its oriented on a person.

anamya


quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya
taternuggets wrote:It's a poem


In my compilation book, it is listed under fiction, not poems. :/

skahfee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skahfee
taternuggets wrote:It's a poem


Just because someone on the internet says it, doesn't make it so. ;)

All the same, gorgeous work.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
skahfee wrote:Just because someone on the internet says it, doesn't make it so. ;)

All the same, gorgeous work.


Just because you say it isn't doesn't make it so. ;)


Nothing follows.

skahfee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skahfee
taternuggets wrote:Just because you say it isn't doesn't make it so. ;)


Have you read it?

http://www.literature.org/authors/poe-edgar-allan/tell-tale-heart.html

juliaL719


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
Re: Tell Tale


The thing which bothers me about this entry is that I realize how little an artist can care about the parameters set up for him.

Like, for instance, knowing what a poem is.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
skahfee wrote:Have you read it?

http://www.literature.org/authors/poe-edgar-allan/tell-tale-heart.html


Not since I was a wee schoolboy. It might not be a poem, but it is Poe-try.


Nothing follows.

poeju


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poeju
taternuggets wrote:Not since I was a wee schoolboy. It might not be a poem, but it is Poe-try.


Ha! It still gets an "I'd want one" because I still want one, even if it's not a poem.

patrickspens


quality posts: 8 Private Messages patrickspens
Re: Tell Tale


I thought this was poetry, but I might be wrong.

http://contemporarylit.about.com/cs/literaryterms/g/poetry.htm
"Poetry has been known to employ meter and rhyme, but this is by no means necessary. Poetry is an ancient form that has gone through numerous and drastic reinvention over time. The very nature of poetry as an authentic and individual mode of expression makes it nearly impossible to define."

i'll leave it in the hands of the rejectionater to decide

juliaL719


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
patrickspens wrote:I thought this was poetry, but I might be wrong.

http://contemporarylit.about.com/cs/literaryterms/g/poetry.htm
"Poetry has been known to employ meter and rhyme, but this is by no means necessary. Poetry is an ancient form that has gone through numerous and drastic reinvention over time. The very nature of poetry as an authentic and individual mode of expression makes it nearly impossible to define."

i'll leave it in the hands of the rejectionater to decide


It's a short story, though, not a prose poem.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
juliaL719 wrote:It's a short story, though, not a prose poem.


Too bad it's nearly impossible to define.


Nothing follows.

missmissa07


quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
Re: Tell Tale


I think the case here that has to be made is that in pretty much any anthology with Poe's works, it is listed as a short story, not a poem. It's more that it is commonly recognized as a short story in the cannon. I think if it were a less common work of fiction, it would slide through pretty easily.

But, it's up to the rejectionator, not me. I wish you the best of luck no matter what happens!

doubtingsalmon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages doubtingsalmon
Re: Tell Tale


A lovely design, but "The Tell-Tale Heart" is most definitely a short story. The various types of poetry aside, it reads nothing like Poe's poems.

tarmawolf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tarmawolf
doubtingsalmon wrote:A lovely design, but "The Tell-Tale Heart" is most definitely a short story. The various types of poetry aside, it reads nothing like Poe's poems.


This. Anyone who is a fan of Poe will agree that his poems bear a marked difference from his short stories in structure, fluidity, and meter.

Reclaimer456


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456
patrickspens wrote:I thought this was poetry, but I might be wrong.

http://contemporarylit.about.com/cs/literaryterms/g/poetry.htm
"Poetry has been known to employ meter and rhyme, but this is by no means necessary. Poetry is an ancient form that has gone through numerous and drastic reinvention over time. The very nature of poetry as an authentic and individual mode of expression makes it nearly impossible to define."

i'll leave it in the hands of the rejectionater to decide

The only competent definition for Poetry that I heard while getting a degree in English is that Poetry is what poets write.

elankat


quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
taternuggets wrote:It's a poem


Just because a website formats it in stanzas and calls it a poem doesn't make it one. Original publication was as a short story...

Page from "The Pioneer"

AmethystHubbard


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AmethystHubbard
Re: Tell Tale


Please resubmit this design for other derbies. It is way to neat to go unprinted on what I would consider to be semantics.

MrsBones


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBones
AmethystHubbard wrote:Please resubmit this design for other derbies. It is way to neat to go unprinted on what I would consider to be semantics.


^ This.

If I'm to keep buying shirts, I need MXS! Please add my size!

MadamAtom


quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
Re: Tell Tale


Can we sneak it in based on this?

Telly Taley Heart

devynf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages devynf
Re: Tell Tale


Please hang on to this design. Hopefully there will be a Derby it will fit into. I love it! Job well done!

ferretfreak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ferretfreak
Re: Tell Tale

I know this one shouldn't be in this derby, but they should seriously sell this shirt design too! I love it!

Stephanie W.

VenusAD


quality posts: 8 Private Messages VenusAD
AmethystHubbard wrote:Please resubmit this design for other derbies. It is way to neat to go unprinted on what I would consider to be semantics.


Agreed. Love the design!

The Tell-Tale Heart is most definitely not a poem. Poe readily spoke about his methods and works. Like another said, his poetry was very obviously different than his short stories. Tell-Tale is a short story.

But seriously, I want this shirt.

RandomLynx


quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx
Re: Tell Tale


Great design, I hope it appears again to compete.

goliathprmoose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goliathprmoose
Re: Tell Tale


Regardless of the derby, can I order one?

alatariel113


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alatariel113
Re: Tell Tale


Aww! I love this. I wish there was an option to buy!!!!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail