Derby #245: Poetry Illustrated
+59

the road not taken

the road not taken
add a comment

Comments

matthewmichaux


quality posts: 0 Private Messages matthewmichaux

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

by Robert Frost

poeju


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poeju
matthewmichaux wrote:TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

by Robert Frost


I love the detail work here, but I feel like it would play better on white or gray the image sharply ends on the black. Even a yellow shirt with brown detail (white becomes yellow).

Nice work regardless.

matthewmichaux


quality posts: 0 Private Messages matthewmichaux
poeju wrote:I love the detail work here, but I feel like it would play better on white or gray the image sharply ends on the black. Even a yellow shirt with brown detail (white becomes yellow).

Nice work regardless.


Thanks for the input! As this is my first entry into the derby, I appreciate any feedback I get. I'll look into editing the image for different hues and designs and see if it makes sense to resubmit.

bkeyser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkeyser
matthewmichaux wrote:Thanks for the input! As this is my first entry into the derby, I appreciate any feedback I get. I'll look into editing the image for different hues and designs and see if it makes sense to resubmit.


Yes resubmit with a different color shirt. I think even if you blurred the edges it would help it on the shirt but different color would help it.

Love it besides that!

nadine624


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nadine624
bkeyser wrote:Yes resubmit with a different color shirt. I think even if you blurred the edges it would help it on the shirt but different color would help it.

Love it besides that!


I agree! Blur the edges and put it onto grey maybe, something so it's not so harsh. I love the design but it's too "confined" like that.

Melinda413


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Melinda413
nadine624 wrote:I agree! Blur the edges and put it onto grey maybe, something so it's not so harsh. I love the design but it's too "confined" like that.


I agree. I think this is beautiful, but the harshness of the edge bugs me for some reason. this is the first time I'm looking at the derby contests and i'm fascinated. But I really like this.

GravitySpec


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GravitySpec
Re: the road not taken


Love this poem by Robert Frost! I have to agree with the others. Feather the edge of the image so it isn't as harsh and change the color of the shirt to either a yellow or tan with image in either as it is or in a medium or dark brown. Something akin to a sketching on parchment paper.

A good first entry into the derby! Do consider revising it. :D

aemely


quality posts: 5 Private Messages aemely
Re: the road not taken


Reminds me a bit of The Box of Delights BBC TV show, when the box takes Kay into the woods. http://www.nostalgiaholic.com/wp/83/when-the-wolves-were-running/

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail