Derby #266: Single Line
+352

Octavius

add a comment

Comments

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Octavius


Thank you to everyone in the pre-derby thread for your suggestions, and for pointing out the places to fix to avoid rejection!

llamassassin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages llamassassin
lyonscc wrote:Thank you to everyone in the pre-derby thread for your suggestions, and for pointing out the places to fix to avoid rejection!


I...I don't know if there is anything more amazing than a steampunk octopus. o_O

iggymartin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iggymartin
llamassassin wrote:I...I don't know if there is anything more amazing than a steampunk octopus. o_O


A steampunk octopus made out of one line?

zombienerd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zombienerd
Re: Octavius


Looks great but too bad it's probably going to be rejected. There's a lot of end lines in this picture. It's not really one line. :c

Ubb


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ubb
I don't know. I see a beginning and an end. Sure there are the points to take into consideration but I don't necessarily see that as being a problem.

zombienerd wrote:Looks great but too bad it's probably going to be rejected. There's a lot of end lines in this picture. It's not really one line. :c

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
zombienerd wrote:Looks great but too bad it's probably going to be rejected. There's a lot of end lines in this picture. It's not really one line. :c


It only has one beginning and ending. Every "spike" has a negative "bump" or "spike" behind it, similar to the derby winners in the last "one line" derby. If Travis wants to see them up close to verify, I can provide the base file.

zombienerd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zombienerd
lyonscc wrote:It only has one beginning and ending. Every "spike" has a negative "bump" or "spike" behind it, similar to the derby winners in the last "one line" derby. If Travis wants to see them up close to verify, I can provide the base file.


Haha you're right. I was viewing it on my tablet. Those tiny widdle notches weren't big enough to see. Disregard, etc.

olliefelde


quality posts: 0 Private Messages olliefelde
zombienerd wrote:Haha you're right. I was viewing it on my tablet. Those tiny widdle notches weren't big enough to see. Disregard, etc.


I thought the lines had to all be 3/8" wide. Am I mistaken? Great piece of work by the way. Nice design.

O


p.s. nevermind. I didn't realize the rules had changed from yesterday.

lloyd2002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
Re: Octavius


How is this not pop culture?

seakitty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages seakitty
lloyd2002 wrote:How is this not pop culture?


Steampunk is a style, not pop culture, I would think.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
lloyd2002 wrote:How is this not pop culture?


How is it?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

wyrddsmith


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyrddsmith

I love this design.

thePenrod


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thePenrod
Re: Octavius


The design is pretty impressive, but he only has seven legs.

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
thePenrod wrote:The design is pretty impressive, but he only has seven legs.


The eighth one is obscured by his head, Christian...

lonelypond


quality posts: 435 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Octavius


fun

cubeking


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cubeking

I don't mean to nitpick or insult the artist, but are the sharp lines around the clock and those that look similar, counted as the same line? Those seem to me like retracing the line or adding new lines. I like the shirt but it doesn't seem to comply with the one line rule.

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
cubeking wrote:I don't mean to nitpick or insult the artist, but are the sharp lines around the clock and those that look similar, counted as the same line? Those seem to me like retracing the line or adding new lines. I like the shirt but it doesn't seem to comply with the one line rule.


No insult taken - see my comment from Aug 25, 2012 12:41 AM, above.

Everywhere there is a "spike" or "sharp point", there is (on the other side of the line, right behind the "spike") a "negative spike" or "bump". I realize the anti-aliasing may blur it a little, but if you look closely at each spike, you should be able to see the bump behind it. This keeps it from 'retracing' itself...

fierytresses


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fierytresses
Re: Octavius


why didn't this one get into the 2nd change derby. I really wanted one of these. It is soooo steampunk.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail