Derby #270: Propaganda...FOR SCIENCE!
+92

GM Uh-Oh

add a comment

Comments

orabbit


quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
Re: GM Uh-Oh


If you don't know, this is a real thing.

This scares the hell out of me. I don't want to live in a world where all our food is sterile and life is owned by the benevolent ubercorp. Vote in the name of real food!

oakenspirit


quality posts: 71 Private Messages oakenspirit
orabbit wrote:This scares the hell out of me. I don't want to live in a world where all our food is sterile and life is owned by the benevolent ubercorp. Vote in the name of real food!


Love where your slogan ended up... heh


orabbit


quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
Re: GM Uh-Oh


Whoops! I just noticed that in my rush to get the comp file ready, some things got messed up. I'm sure it bugs no one but me, but here's what it really looks like:

sunaness


quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
Re: GM Uh-Oh


Wow the sheer genius of where the slogan ended up is frightening me a bit!

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: GM Uh-Oh


Such a happy tunato!

bjmantis


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjmantis
Re: GM Uh-Oh

Must be a process similar to how they make Clamato juice.

autsey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
Re: GM Uh-Oh


lurve! great job!

nimrond


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond
orabbit wrote:If you don't know, this is a real thing.

This scares the hell out of me. I don't want to live in a world where all our food is sterile and life is owned by the benevolent ubercorp. Vote in the name of real food!


I don't think we should stop inventing great stuff, just because our current laws and patents may turn that into the extortion of peasants or monopolistic corparations. Plants that potentially end world hunger, give us an renewable energy source without taking too much land away needed for food production or more efficient plants that help save the rain forest - endless possibilities!

But as always: With great power comes great responsability! :D

kestrad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kestrad
orabbit wrote:If you don't know, this is a real thing.

This scares the hell out of me. I don't want to live in a world where all our food is sterile and life is owned by the benevolent ubercorp. Vote in the name of real food!


I realize this is a propaganda contest and all, so there are going to be artistic liberties, but I really wish people would stop perpetuating such misleading images about GMOs. Yes, a fish gene was put in a tomato. No, it's not going to be anything close to a fish-shaped tomato or a tomato-shaped fish. It's going to be a tomato that happens to produce a protein that usually are produced by a fish.

I don't want to argue one way or another about GMOs, but it pisses me off when people misrepresent genetic manipulation. It is alarmist and contributes nothing people's knowledge of how genetics actually works.

orabbit


quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
kestrad wrote:I realize this is a propaganda contest and all, so there are going to be artistic liberties, but I really wish people would stop perpetuating such misleading images about GMOs. Yes, a fish gene was put in a tomato. No, it's not going to be anything close to a fish-shaped tomato or a tomato-shaped fish. It's going to be a tomato that happens to produce a protein that usually are produced by a fish.

I don't want to argue one way or another about GMOs, but it pisses me off when people misrepresent genetic manipulation. It is alarmist and contributes nothing people's knowledge of how genetics actually works.


Thanks for your comments, nimrond and kestrad. I guess there's a reason that inane, humorous stuff does better than politically sensitive designs. I took the propaganda aspect to heart, and wanted to incorporate the distortion and manipulation associated with it. I know it's alarmist, but that's the point.

I personally am for genetic manipulation in concept, but in practice, it's had some unfortunate consequences. For example, Monsanto suing small farmers for patent infringement, or GMO crops contaminating organic farms. As long as the mega-corps are the ones funding the research, the noble science will get co-opted for their less-than-noble purposes.

/soapbox

I hope I don't turn anyone off with my politics. Next week, I think I'll draw some cute animals.

aerc712


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
orabbit wrote:
I hope I don't turn anyone off with my politics. Next week, I think I'll draw some cute animals.


Careful, your cute animals might have to run away from a pitchfork or two.

As for this design - I think the graphic and slogan go for the absurd and humorous pretty effectively. Living in farm country, there's lots of talk about who grows what etc., but the fishmato is, in my opinion, a hilarious representation of what we won't get to.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail