Derby #279: Food

Into the sunset

No pop culture this week

Rejected because: No pop culture this week

add a comment

Comments

flattopfrank


quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
Re: Into the sunset


Please re-vote.. I didn't send my shirt comp the first time...

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Re: Into the sunset


SWEET +1 !

deesbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deesbar
Re: Into the sunset

flattopfrank wrote:Please re-vote.. I didn't send my shirt comp the first time...


I re-voted!

flattopfrank


quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
deesbar wrote:I re-voted!


Thank you, for your support !!

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Re: Into the sunset


Poor guy.... he needs a ding dong beside him !!

deboraho


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
Re: Into the sunset


+1 PLUS PLUS... No explanation needed for this shirt !

margaretharmon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages margaretharmon
Re: Into the sunset


GMV ! This is a world wide shirt to sell! A first I have seen in a while here. Superior !!

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Into the sunset


Yeah! Awesome Frankie. I was tossing around Twinkie ideas, but you nailed it.

flattopfrank


quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
orabbit wrote:Yeah! Awesome Frankie. I was tossing around Twinkie ideas, but you nailed it.


Thanks Orabbit !!!

minionofeckerd


quality posts: 4 Private Messages minionofeckerd
Re: Into the sunset


Awesome shirt!!

lloyd2002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
Re: Into the sunset


Not to be a killjoy, but the rules say "No pop culture riffs. Original work only." - Twinkie the Kid is not "Original work", and with the current events, etc., Twinkies riding into the sunset are definitely "pop culture riffs".

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
lloyd2002 wrote:Not to be a killjoy, but the rules say "No pop culture riffs. Original work only." - Twinkie the Kid is not "Original work", and with the current events, etc., Twinkies riding into the sunset are definitely "pop culture riffs".


Twinkie the kid is not pop culture. Pop culture is all your zombies, vampires, and stuff. This design has been altered just as much as the campbell soup can, pi symbol, etc. Is a pie, hamburger, peanuts, oreos, and hot dog original art work? This is just as original as those items.

lloyd2002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
deborah11565 wrote:Twinkie the kid is not pop culture. Pop culture is all your zombies, vampires, and stuff. This design has been altered just as much as the campbell soup can, pi symbol, etc. Is a pie, hamburger, peanuts, oreos, and hot dog original art work? This is just as original as those items.


Twinkie the Kid is a commercially Trademarked mascot from Hostess brands. Even though they're in bankruptcy, he's their intellectual property. This design isn't parody - the allowed exception for usage of a mascot by third parties - so Woot will probably reject it for that reason, alone. They don't want to be sued.

Twinkie the Kid, because of the current events, is also "Pop culture" by Woot's definition. Generic vampires, zombies, etc., aren't considered Pop Culture by Woot, unless they reference specific works (like Twilight, The Walking Dead, etc.).

I don't know about the soup can, though it's clearly parody, but the pi pie isn't "pop culture" even though it's not very original.

There have been lots of discussion in past threads on what is pop culture. Basically, if it references a current fad of some sort, uses a character from modern literature, or riffs on a video game, movie or tv show, it's "pop culture". I think someone said "if you have to be in tune with popular culture to get the joke, it's pop culture."

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
lloyd2002 wrote:Twinkie the Kid is a commercially Trademarked mascot from Hostess brands. Even though they're in bankruptcy, he's their intellectual property. This design isn't parody - the allowed exception for usage of a mascot by third parties - so Woot will probably reject it for that rU eason, alone. They don't want to be sued.

Twinkie the Kid, because of the current events, is also "Pop culture" by Woot's definition. Generic vampires, zombies, etc., aren't considered Pop Culture by Woot, unless they

reference specific works (like Twilight, The Walking Dead, etc.).

I don't know about the soup can, though it's clearly parody, but the pi pie isn't "pop culture" even though it's not very original.

There have been lots of discussion in past threads on what is pop culture. Basically, if it references a current fad of some sort, uses a character from modern literature, or riffs on a video game, movie or tv show, it's "pop culture". I think someone said "if you have to be in tune with popular culture to get the joke, it's pop culture."


First let me say it is nice to meet you since this is the first feedback you have provided in the 6 months we have been here..... Please take that how I meant it. Secondly it is in the fog,let woot decide.....it is sounding a bit childish. Go
provide someone some positive feedback. .

margaretharmon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages margaretharmon
Re: Into the sunset


I am in my mid 60's and literally laughed when I read this was considered POP culture by another artist or consumer(?)....good job on the artwork and the design is very comforting. You received my vote.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Into the sunset


This is a great timely design but it certainly is pop culture.


Nothing follows.

jocw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jocw
Nice shirt! I hope this wins. I want to buy it for a gift for someone.

Re: Into the sunset

nimrond


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond
Re: Into the sunset


I never ate a twinkie in my life. And I didn't get the reference despite twinkie references being very popular in movies etc. If this isn't pop culture, what is?
Also, what's with all the hate? Who would want only positive feedback? The man's allowed to express his opinion, especially since he wasn't rude in any way.

Just ask yourself: Would you buy the shirt if you didn't know what a twinkie was? Or if you knew twinkies, but not Twinkie the Kid? Wouldn't you rather wonder about the cowboy reference and move on?

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
nimrond wrote:I never ate a twinkie in my life. And I didn't get the reference despite twinkie references being very popular in movies etc. If this isn't pop culture, what is?
Also, what's with all the hate? Who would want only positive feedback? The man's allowed to express his opinion, especially since he wasn't rude in any way.

Just ask yourself: Would you buy the shirt if you didn't know what a twinkie was? Or if you knew twinkies, but not Twinkie the Kid? Wouldn't you rather wonder about the cowboy reference and move on?


I see it as a Parody - A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule.

I can't respond on the hate question, I didn't have any. I agree the feedback should be constructive. This would be fine if there had been other cases where there was positive feedback. It just came across as odd timing to me.

rachelor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelor
Re: Into the sunset


Well don't I feel stupid! I thought it was a mash-up of Woody and Mr. Potato Head.

scrabblefish


quality posts: 13 Private Messages scrabblefish
Re: Into the sunset

Well, I didn't get it (although that's nothing new.) Thought it was a Mr. Potato Head reference

lloyd2002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
tomspc wrote:This is not pop culture. BTW - they sell knock-off twinkies in the store. I don't see them being sued. And yes it is a parody.

Bigger question is why have you suddenly raised your head and started blabbing about nothing? Is that what you do, wait till someone gets to the fog and then start blasting them. Go crawl back in your hole. Geeez insecure much?


This is the first time I remember seeing this artist. My wife and I have been around this site for awhile, and I didn't recognize this artist.

When I see something that I think may be in violation of one of shirt.woot's oddly-enforced rules, especially if they are newer artists, I try to point it out in advance so there aren't any surprises when the rejectionator comes around on Monday.

As for "waiting until someone is in the fog" - this design wasn't even close to the fog when I commented, and I do think it will be rejected for both violation of the pop culture rule and for not being parody as Woot enforces it. (Imagine the silhouette was Mickey Mouse instead of Twinkie the Kid. Both are recognizable trademarked characters, and this is not really parody. Twinkie the Kid riding into the sunset may be a political statement, but it is not parody.)

As for the "no pop culture rule", if you are using a character that is not one of your own - regardless of the source - Woot has treated it as "pop culture". Thus the "Original work only" clarification in the posted rules. Unless Frankie (who I have absolutely nothing against, and wonder why I'm being personally attacked for commenting on his submission and not about him) is the original artist who created Twinkie the Kid, the character Twinkie the Kid is not his "original work".

Sheesh. Dial it down a little. I provide positive comments sometimes, and others I point out possible rule violations. Kind of like the other commenters here.

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
rachelor wrote:Well don't I feel stupid! I thought it was a mash-up of Woody and Mr. Potato Head.


Now that is funny !!

mailmanmo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
deborah11565 wrote:First let me say it is nice to meet you since this is the first feedback you have provided in the 6 months we have been here.....

tomspc wrote:
Bigger question is why have you suddenly raised your head and started blabbing about nothing? Is that what you do, wait till someone gets to the fog and then start blasting them. Go crawl back in your hole. Geeez insecure much?


Don't be self-aggrandizing snobby little ponies, he's entitled to his opinion, whenever and however he wants to give it, and he certainly gives it a pony sight more politely than you did.
Also "original work only", if you don't understand that I can't explain it any more clearer for you.

(flattopfrank, don't take this as disrespect for you or your design, I'm just annoyed at folk bashing someone's opinion in such a way. Grrrr! ;o)

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
mailmanmo wrote:Don't be self-aggrandizing snobby little ponies, he's entitled to his opinion, whenever and however he wants to give it, and he certainly gives it a pony sight more politely than you did.
Also "original work only", if you don't understand that I can't explain it any more clearer for you.

(flattopfrank, don't take this as disrespect for you or your design, I'm just annoyed at folk bashing someone's opinion in such a way. Grrrr! ;o)


I am going to respond to this one last time.... I have not been rude at all so back off of that comment ! My point ( again ) I see this a Parody, go visit Derby 197 as a reference, view the winner and the comments... also, we have never heard one word from this poster, he mentions he wasn't even familiar with the artist Flattop so they cannot really be analyzing as critical as they claim. All I said was if there had been previous "quality comments" then this would not have seen as offensive when it was noticed. We also noticed the comment after this shirt was in the fog so it was viewed as a typical slam on a shirt doing well...We watched this shirt all day and checked the comments so we know when it was posted...

Flattop is the artist, he will never respond to any comments like this. He has fretted with woot for quite awhile trying to figure out the ins and outs. I am his biggest critic. If woot rejects this then that is the outcome.

I hope his shirt does well and I believe it is a great Parody,however, I will allow woot to do their job.

lloyd2002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
deborah11565 wrote:I am going to respond to this one last time.... I have not been rude at all so back off of that comment ! My point ( again ) I see this a Parody, go visit Derby 197 as a reference, view the winner and the comments... also, we have never heard one word from this poster, he mentions he wasn't even familiar with the artist Flattop so they cannot really be analyzing as critical as they claim. All I said was if there had been previous "quality comments" then this would not have seen as offensive when it was noticed. We also noticed the comment after this shirt was in the fog so it was viewed as a typical slam on a shirt doing well...We watched this shirt all day and checked the comments so we know when it was posted...

Flattop is the artist, he will never respond to any comments like this. He has fretted with woot for quite awhile trying to figure out the ins and outs. I am his biggest critic. If woot rejects this then that is the outcome.

I hope his shirt does well and I believe it is a great Parody,however, I will allow woot to do their job.


The frog prince is a story by the Brothers Grimm, and the idea of a princess kissing a frog has become a common saying, even for those who don't know the fable. None of the characters in the winning shirt in #179 is trademarked, and none mimics the artistic characters from the Disney film or animated short of the Frog Prince. It can also be deemed parody, because of all the other animals lining up to be kissed.

Twinkie the Kid is a trademarked corporate mascot, and this design is clearly representing the "sunset" for Twinkies, as a result of the current Bakers' Union strike. There is no parody involved. Woot pulled a shirt it was printing last year, where a knight on a chessboard had bat ears (i.e. "The Dark Knight") - they got a cease & desist letter from DC comics and pulled the shirt (and all remaining images of it). That was incredibly defensible as parody, but Woot went the conservative route. Since then, they have been zealous in rejecting things that have copyrighted characters (with spurts of weeks/months-long "no pop culture" runs since).

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I was just trying to be helpful by explaining some of the current ropes, and y'all made a federal case of it.

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
lloyd2002 wrote:The frog prince is a story by the Brothers Grimm, and the idea of a princess kissing a frog has become a common saying, even for those who don't know the fable. None of the characters in the winning shirt in #179 is trademarked, and none mimics the artistic characters from the Disney film or animated short of the Frog Prince. It can also be deemed parody, because of all the other animals lining up to be kissed.

Twinkie the Kid is a trademarked corporate mascot, and this design is clearly representing the "sunset" for Twinkies, as a result of the current Bakers' Union strike. There is no parody involved. Woot pulled a shirt it was printing last year, where a knight on a chessboard had bat ears (i.e. "The Dark Knight") - they got a cease & desist letter from DC comics and pulled the shirt (and all remaining images of it). That was incredibly defensible as parody, but Woot went the conservative route. Since then, they have been zealous in rejecting things that have copyrighted characters (with spurts of weeks/months-long "no pop culture" runs since).

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I was just trying to be helpful by explaining some of the current ropes, and y'all made a federal case of it.


ok,thanks.........

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Into the sunset

Friends of Flattop Frank Foundation...Fog Frenzy!


The silhouette might be enough to get this through.

Otherwise, I think the halftones are a bit too coarse for my liking.
Congrats on the fog, FF.

move along

flattopfrank


quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
Re: Into the sunset


I appreciate any and all criticism given. I also find all of this attention to a design very entertaining. I would also like to thank everyone for the support and a BIG THANKS to all of the voters....

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Into the sunset


Sorry dude.

move along

writermist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
lloyd2002 wrote:The frog prince is a story by the Brothers Grimm, and the idea of a princess kissing a frog has become a common saying, even for those who don't know the fable. None of the characters in the winning shirt in #179 is trademarked, and none mimics the artistic characters from the Disney film or animated short of the Frog Prince. It can also be deemed parody, because of all the other animals lining up to be kissed.

Twinkie the Kid is a trademarked corporate mascot, and this design is clearly representing the "sunset" for Twinkies, as a result of the current Bakers' Union strike. There is no parody involved. Woot pulled a shirt it was printing last year, where a knight on a chessboard had bat ears (i.e. "The Dark Knight") - they got a cease & desist letter from DC comics and pulled the shirt (and all remaining images of it). That was incredibly defensible as parody, but Woot went the conservative route. Since then, they have been zealous in rejecting things that have copyrighted characters (with spurts of weeks/months-long "no pop culture" runs since).

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I was just trying to be helpful by explaining some of the current ropes, and y'all made a federal case of it.


lloyd2002... you are awesome. I love how you write. C:

deesbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deesbar
writermist wrote:lloyd2002... you are awesome. I love how you write. C:


awwwee...Too bad this is not a writing contest...LOL

dukeblue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dukeblue
Re: Into the sunset


Pop Culture? I thought it was that little Texan we had as a President waving our economy good bye.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail