Derby #312: '80s Retro

Don't You Forget About Me

Similar Shirts Exist

Rejected because: Similar Shirts Exist

add a comment

Comments

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Don't You Forget About Me


Sincerely Yours,
The Breakfast Club


For the younger crowd (or the older crowd that really liked Pitch Perfect!).



curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
This is the first one of these I've ever seen that I'd actually buy. Nicely done.

Re: Don't You Forget About Me

marceepauff


quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
Re: Don't You Forget About Me


These exist all over the internets already. Cafepress and etsy; same design even:Here

Votes appreciated:

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Don't You Forget About Me


Please reject this yourself before the rejectionator does.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarlosTiger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarlosTiger

Is it just me, or could this also apply to the Princess Bride?

tomriker1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomriker1
tomspc wrote:why is this stolen shirt still here and in the fog. I don't understand this place sometimes.


Stolen is a strong word. Knowing this artist's body of work I'd say not stolen but independently thought of something someone else thought of as well.

tomspc


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
tomriker1 wrote:Stolen is a strong word. Knowing this artist's body of work I'd say not stolen but independently thought of something someone else thought of as well.


Since this shirt is identical (font, layout and even shirt color) to others for sale on the web, I find it hard to believe that idea was "independently thought of". Just saying.

tomriker1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomriker1
tomspc wrote:Since this shirt is identical (font, layout and even shirt color) to others for sale on the web, I find it hard to believe that idea was "independently thought of". Just saying.


The "HELVETICA" style tee is a well parodied tee that started from this design... http://thejailbreak.com/2009/11/19/famous-john-paul-ringo-george-t-shirt-to-be-re-issued/
So now that your are informed and know the history of this type of design I'd say yes it is quite possible that - given the theme of this week's derby - it was not stolen and was thought of independently. Wouldn't you?

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
tomspc wrote:Since this shirt is identical (font, layout and even shirt color) to others for sale on the web, I find it hard to believe that idea was "independently thought of". Just saying.

Knowing the artist, I can vouch that this was indeed an independent idea. She's had her ideas and designs lifted too, so she's well aware of what it's like on the receiving end.

FWIW, the Helvetica list concept is very very common, so naturally, the typeface and left justified list would look alike.

tomspc


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
tomriker1 wrote:The "HELVETICA" style tee is a well parodied tee that started from this design... http://thejailbreak.com/2009/11/19/famous-john-paul-ringo-george-t-shirt-to-be-re-issued/
So now that your are informed and know the history of this type of design I'd say yes it is quite possible that - given the theme of this week's derby - it was not stolen and was thought of independently. Wouldn't you?


No, I wouldn't. I would think most artists check to see if their idea has been done before. Most on here use http://www.tineye.com/ reverse image look-up to check so I'm not buying these Raisinets excuses. Other artists have been crucified for much less. I'm just saying what everyone else is probably thinking. Now go away, you're getting on my nerves.

tomriker1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomriker1
tomspc wrote:No, I wouldn't. I would think most artists check to see if their idea has been done before. Most on here use http://www.tineye.com/ reverse image look-up to check so I'm not buying these Raisinets excuses. Other artists have been crucified for much less. I'm just saying what everyone else is probably thinking. Now go away, you're getting on my nerves.


Wow, very mature. Great trying to have a dialogue with you. People have ideas independently without being thieves. Also as an artist I too have looked for things when I have had an idea, searched for similar works, missed finding them, completed my work and then someone pointed out another piece in the same vein. It happens and it does not mean anything was stolen. Woot will do what woot does with this one as they always do but your accusations of theft are baseless.

tomspc


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
tomriker1 wrote:Wow, very mature. Great trying to have a dialogue with you. People have ideas independently without being thieves. Also as an artist I too have looked for things when I have had an idea, searched for similar works, missed finding them, completed my work and then someone pointed out another piece in the same vein. It happens and it does not mean anything was stolen. Woot will do what woot does with this one as they always do but your accusations of theft are baseless.


Login with your "real" id and then we'll have dialogue.

Edit: Do me one favor, just Google "Breakfast Club tshirts" and that shirt pops up first. So if not a thief then just plain lazy.

thumperchick


quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
tomspc wrote:Rude comments.


Lambast the shirt for being unoriginal - but accusing someone of theft is serious.

The overall design is a common theme. I'd easily say that this isn't the best, or most original work I've seen from this artist - but I am certain there was no theft.

Now, your rudeness and attitude are showing, you may want to put those away in polite company.

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Just to toss in my $0.02, everything I've seen from this artist suggests she would never even need to steal a design. This particular motif isn't uncommon, and I had started on one almost identical to it before I remembered to do a GIS, and abandoned it.

Even though her design will probably be rejected as a dupe, I think it's obviously a case of GMTA , not any sort of malice.

massha10


quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
thumperchick wrote:Lambast the shirt for being unoriginal - but accusing someone of theft is serious.

The overall design is a common theme. I'd easily say that this isn't the best, or most original work I've seen from this artist - but I am certain there was no theft.

Now, your rudeness and attitude are showing, you may want to put those away in polite company.


Team Tom. He was only responding to that other dude - now THAT one was rude. He also spoke the truth. I think you are being too much of an apologist for the wrong side. After all, it's not like the author already posted something like 'oops my bad did not check. My apologies everybody" and removed the design - did she?

massha10


quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
Mavyn wrote:This is my real account, does that count? I openly admit I have 2, the other is named ChasingPuck. I created it before I knew about the Reckoning, and thought I could only buy the tee on the first day.

I seriously doubt fishbiscuits stole the design. I do agree she failed to look for similar tees before submitting. It's too late for her to withdraw, so it will be up to Woot to reject.

It happens. Being a wanker about it says more about you than the artist. Comment once, report it, move in.


now YOU are actually using insulting language. and then you are calling the other guy rude? Naughty naughty. Now, be a good boy and play nice.

I am actually very surprised that the artist did not remove the design and post an apology already. I sure would have. on a second thought... I think I'll go scout out some designs. I trust you will defend me the same way if Tom ever tried outing me, right?

thumperchick


quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
massha10 wrote:I think you are being too much of an apologist for the wrong side.


I apologized for no one. I simply think being blatantly rude is absolutely not necessary and that tom's comments here have been just that - rude.

I don't care if you agree with my pov, but don't put words in my mouth.

tomspc


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
massha10 wrote:Team Tom. He was only responding to that other dude - now THAT one was rude. He also spoke the truth. I think you are being too much of an apologist for the wrong side. After all, it's not like the author already posted something like 'oops my bad did not check. My apologies everybody" and removed the design - did she?


Agree, own up to it and apologize. She's always on woot so I know she knows. Also check out her FB page, as of yesterday she was still promoting this what-a-coincidence-I-designed-the-exact-same-shirt!

tomriker1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomriker1
massha10 wrote:Team Tom. He was only responding to that other dude - now THAT one was rude. He also spoke the truth. I think you are being too much of an apologist for the wrong side. After all, it's not like the author already posted something like 'oops my bad did not check. My apologies everybody" and removed the design - did she?


I believe you are referring to me as "the other dude". How was I rude? I was having a dialogue and then was told to go away. There are no right or wrong sides here; there are people with opposing opinions who disagree, people that should be able to communicate with each other. My PoV was never about whether or not this design was original or not, being unoriginal does not automatically make you a thief. That's all I was saying. I tried to get him to see a different PoV. When at any point did I deserve to be treated poorly? It was certainly "his rudeness showing" as someone else pointed out.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
massha10 wrote:now YOU are actually using insulting language. and then you are calling the other guy rude? Naughty naughty. Now, be a good boy and play nice.

I am actually very surprised that the artist did not remove the design and post an apology already. I sure would have. on a second thought... I think I'll go scout out some designs. I trust you will defend me the same way if Tom ever tried outing me, right?


Not a boy. No reason to play nice.

And yes, I am rude to someone who goes out of their way to insult artists and members of this community on a regular basis. Tom took a breather, but for a while took delight in making accusations of conspiracy and insulting members simply because they don't like the same kind of art he does. He's not someone I respect because while he is nasty to others, any time someone calls him on it he acts like this, and unlike some others who are very vocal with their criticisms, he remains negative or meaningless. Adder at least had things to say other than 'people who vote for cats sucks, artists who draw cats suck'.

Might ask yourself why you're defending him.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

massha10


quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
Mavyn wrote:Not a boy. No reason to play nice.

Might ask yourself why you're defending him.


Because I do not like when people get bullied and called things, especially when they are right. I read all y'all's comment and determined that it was time to say something.
It seemed wrong not to. Sense of justice, if you will.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
massha10 wrote:Because I do not like when people get bullied and called things, especially when they are right. I read all y'all's comment and determined that it was time to say something.
It seemed wrong not to. Sense of justice, if you will.


Googling his comments in previous derbies might change your opinion. Or perhaps not. Perhaps you enjoy having someone constantly harp that you're an idiot.

Unrelated, but is your user name homage to Massha in the Myth-Inc Massha? Fabulous series.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

lerandia


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lerandia
Re: Don't You Forget About Me


Are people voting for this because they like the design, or because of the discussion/in support of the artist? 😯

massha10


quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
Mavyn wrote:
Unrelated, but is your user name homage to Massha in the Myth-Inc Massha? Fabulous series.


yes.

marceepauff


quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
lerandia wrote:Are people voting for this because they like the design, or because of the discussion/in support of the artist? 😯


Not that anyone necessarily cares what a derby newbie has to say on the subject but when the derby was announced I had a ton of ideas, but when I googled them to see if they already existed, I saw that in many cases they did. Seems like that would be an obvious first step, even more so for an experienced artist like her. It's one thing to have a similar idea and improve upon it, but that's not at all what this is. It's very disheartening to me that even after knowing this shirt already exists, that a reputable artist wouldn't self-police...and that the community would continue to support it, especially when there are so many inspired, original and creative options to choose from.

Votes appreciated:

tomriker1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomriker1
marceepauff wrote:Not that anyone necessarily cares what a derby newbie has to say on the subject but when the derby was announced I had a ton of ideas, but when I googled them to see if they already existed, I saw that in many cases they did. Seems like that would be an obvious first step, even more so for an experienced artist like her. It's one thing to have a similar idea and improve upon it, but that's not at all what this is. It's very disheartening to me that even after knowing this shirt already exists, that a reputable artist wouldn't self-police...and that the community would continue to support it, especially when there are so many inspired, original and creative options to choose from.


Yes people search for ideas but sometimes people also miss things. We are only human after all. There is a point after you post your design that you can no longer pull it down yourself. We have no idea what this artist has done or not at this point. As a for instance - she may have already emailed Woot and asked them to take it down. Heck she may not have even checked on her Woot entry since posting it because - as another for instance - for all we know she's flying over the Atlantic in a hot air balloon. (Just making my point. I do not actually believe she is doing that, but you get my drift.) As for tomspc saying she is definitely online promoting her stuff on facebook (which he said in the main derby thread) - facebook page posts can be scheduled in advance.

marceepauff


quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
tomriker1 wrote:Yes people search for ideas but sometimes people also miss things. We are only human after all. There is a point after you post your design that you can no longer pull it down yourself. We have no idea what this artist has done or not at this point. As a for instance - she may have already emailed Woot and asked them to take it down. Heck she may not have even checked on her Woot entry since posting it because - as another for instance - for all we know she's flying over the Atlantic in a hot air balloon. (Just making my point. I do not actually believe she is doing that, but you get my drift.) As for tomspc saying she is definitely online promoting her stuff on facebook (which he said in the main derby thread) - facebook page posts can be scheduled in advance.


Dead horse and all that - but I posted a response minutes after her submission went live because as you may or may not have noticed I also went with the breakfast club idea and the moment you google breakfast club shirt, that design popped up. So while I suppose an EMP could have gone off in her neighborhood just after she clicked submit...it just seems unlikely. Really though, my point should have been less about her intentions or morality and more about the fact that it remains in the fog, so obviously the community is continuing to support it, even though (in my opinion) they shouldn't.

Votes appreciated:

tomriker1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomriker1
marceepauff wrote:Dead horse and all that - but I posted a response minutes after her submission went live because as you may or may not have noticed I also went with the breakfast club idea and the moment you google breakfast club shirt, that design popped up. So while I suppose an EMP could have gone off in her neighborhood just after she clicked submit...it just seems unlikely. Really though, my point should have been less about her intentions or morality and more about the fact that it remains in the fog, so obviously the community is continuing to support it, even though (in my opinion) they shouldn't.


BTW marceepauff, I love your design. Very creative.

marceepauff


quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
tomriker1 wrote:BTW marceepauff, I love your design. Very creative.


thanks!

Votes appreciated:

thumperchick


quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
marceepauff wrote:... so obviously the community is continuing to support it, even though (in my opinion) they shouldn't.


1) Most people who vote do not read the comments, thus they don't realize the shirt isn't an original.

2) I am still supporting the artist, in the sense that she isn't a thief. I tattled before I commented. Pretty much everyone here agrees that the design needs to be pulled/rejected.

3) It's probably still up since the rejectionator tends to swing through shortly after derby opens, then again on Monday, when they're back in the office.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
massha10 wrote:Because I do not like when people get bullied and called things, especially when they are right. I read all y'all's comment and determined that it was time to say something.
It seemed wrong not to. Sense of justice, if you will.


You know what ticks me off? People who bandy around the word bully in a completely inappropriate way. Calling somebody who is an asshead on a messageboard an asshead is not bullying. Actual bullying is a serious and life changing problem.

If you are new and not familiar with the posters and local drama yet maybe you shouldn't get involved less you look like a fool.

I like fishbiscuit but she's been pimping the memes and pop culture pretty hard these days and while I don't approve of that it's kinda what the derby has become. This design is everywhere on the internet because it's a pretty easy one to come up with. She probably does know better than to think this would escape rejection for "similar shirts exist" but who knows, maybe she was in a rush this week and is gone for the weekend.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
tomspc wrote:Edit: Do me one favor, just Google "Breakfast Club tshirts" and that shirt pops up first. So if not a thief then just plain lazy.

FYI, Googling that did not yield this design in my search results. As you know (or your should know), results can be skewed by what one's search history is. Indeed, one my results was this shirt.

I feel this is a good time to reiterate this line from that grammar thread ...
"We are not just random screen names and goofy avatars on the Internet. We are peers and colleagues with real faces and real feelings."

So again, watch what you say, folks.

Given that the summer is when @fishbiscuit has time off, I won't be surprised if these entries were post-and-go, and that she's away for the weekend (or longer).

grrlmarvel


quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Don't You Forget About Me


So has anyone thought that maybe it was past the 24 hour limit to remove when she realized this existed? You cannot remove it after that. You have to have Woot remove it. And they are gone for the weekend.

Ever thought about talking TO THE ARTIST DIRECTLY in a calm and rational manner instead of slamming her/him in the comments? Maybe it is a mistake. These are common ideas. There are a million of these types of shirts. And yes you always check but sometimes with 24 hours to design you forget or just rush to post. It happens. It's a type shirt, easy to make it look like it's copied but it's just a typeface and layout used all over.

Fish has been a long standing member of this community, supporting others and being apart of the derbies. She has not been known to steal and has been a strong contender. If this was her MO and I KNOW IT IS NOT 100% it would have showed before.

Similar designs happen ALOT these days. Right now I'm looking at Red Bubble and there are a MILLION Pacific Rim shirts and they are all the same idea. Hot ideas/derby topics generate like minded ideas.

Again, I am sure I will be called out for being biased, whatever that is fine. My concern is this is turned into an attack before anyone bothered to try to talk to the artist in a PM and just say heads up. Not let's attack and tear apart in this forum.

Woot used to be a great place to chat and support and honestly crit things. And as for Fish not responding... if you saw all this vitriol and see that some people have all judged you guilty, would you even BOTHER RESPONDING?

Why open yourself up to those attacks?

The internet seems to make people forget that these people doing the derby are HUMAN BEINGS and have feelings and about 99% are talented with integrity and we should be treating them as such. We know we have a few amongst us that may be cheats, but they are few and far between. The rest are good people just trying to win and make art.

Many of these artists are my friends IRL and online. I see their works in progress, I see their hard work. They do not intentionally try to steal and do their research but MISTAKES happen and I wish would be give people the benefit of the doubt before attacking.

There is always the tattle button and a PM. Handle it right, don't get childish and attack.

BigWes500


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigWes500
Re: Don't You Forget About Me

GREAY SHIRT!!!!!

philosopherott


quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott
Re: Don't You Forget About Me


LETS ALL OVER REACT!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHH!!!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail