Derby #367: Needlework
+208

Prep Work

Prep Work
add a comment

Comments

nancyzas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyzas
Re: Prep Work


What a fun idea! Great drawing and concept.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Prep Work


Adorable addition to your sheep series.



treblesinger72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72
Re: Prep Work


wonderful!

caramelarrow


quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
Re: Prep Work


I just love your sheep! This will make a great Christmas gift for my friends who knit.

07/11/14

grrlmarvel


quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Prep Work


Yeah Kevlar's sheep are back! I love them!!

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Re: Prep Work


It's a good design but as a friendly word of warning, the BG is gonna look rather muddy without some additional saturation. Gotta anticipate the way things print these days, and I would personally say the background will be very hard to make out on the printed shirt under a lot of lightings at its current color.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
TobiasAmaranth wrote:It's a good design but as a friendly word of warning, the BG is gonna look rather muddy without some additional saturation. Gotta anticipate the way things print these days, and I would personally say the background will be very hard to make out on the printed shirt under a lot of lightings at its current color.


I'd imagine a designer with over 3 dozen woot prints has a pretty good idea of how things will print. It looks like it'll print just fine.





Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
Re: Prep Work

Yay Kevsheep! They always bring a smile. GMV.

dfunk29


quality posts: 48 Private Messages dfunk29
Re: Prep Work


Sew, sew good! See what I did there...yeah, I knew it was a pop quiz when I was typing it, but there it is.

Seriously though, great shirt!

suuki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suuki
Re: Prep Work


LOVE it!

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
odysseyroc wrote:I'd imagine a designer with over 3 dozen woot prints has a pretty good idea of how things will print. It looks like it'll print just fine.


It's just some constructive criticism from a picky shirt owner. That combination of shirt color and ink color is very similar to that found on another shirt I own and like, and the background is barely visible. So in my opinion a bit more saturation would do this design some good if it manages to print. Not a major shift, just a slight one, since it's pretty much a single color and relies on negative space.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
TobiasAmaranth wrote:... That combination of shirt color and ink color is very similar to that found on another shirt I own and like, and the background is barely visible. ...

Sooo ... you're nitpicking because another shirt with a completely different design didn't print well, knowing very well that what prints here may or may not be what the artist envisioned in the first place? I'm trying to understand your train of thought here ...

I have 15 different designs from 3 different shirt sites that Kevin designed or collaborated on, many involving halftones/shading/fade outs to varying extents. I trust him in the color selections for this design.

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Narfcake wrote:Sooo ... you're nitpicking because another shirt with a completely different design didn't print well, knowing very well that what prints here may or may not be what the artist envisioned in the first place? I'm trying to understand your train of thought here ...


My train of thought is 'ACK, it's a dark blue on a dark blue shirt, that's gonna be a pain with printing around here!' -- My own issue was with the Return of the Noms shirt from last Halloween. It looked fine digitally, very visible. But on the printed one, the background was nearly invisible.

Is there something wrong with giving constructive criticism based on my experiences with the site's printing? I'm not here to be a jerk, after all. I just noticed a familiar color combination and suggested a bit more saturation for the background.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
TobiasAmaranth wrote:... Is there something wrong with giving constructive criticism based on my experiences with the site's printing? ...

So long as it's valid, no. Other Wooters do have a point about how your critiques come across and potential underlying motives, whether they're real or perceived - NOT that this is the place for any further discussion on that.

sonofafish


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
Narfcake wrote:So long as it's valid, no. Other Wooters do have a point about how your critiques come across and potential underlying motives, whether they're real or perceived - NOT that this is the place for any further discussion on that.


he can say whatever he wants, as long as it's about the design. his motives shouldn't matter, and it's not as if he hides them, they're in his sig (and most of his posts).

The real action is in the sheep anyway, so right or wrong, genuine good will or ulterior motive, the design is cute and funny and it comes through. Feels like this theme was tailor-made (*eyebrow wiggle*) for Kevlar's sheep, and TA probably knows that. Great work, Kevlar!

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
sonofafish wrote:he can say whatever he wants, as long as it's about the design. his motives shouldn't matter, and it's not as if he hides them, they're in his sig (and most of his posts).

The real action is in the sheep anyway, so right or wrong, genuine good will or ulterior motive, the design is cute and funny and it comes through. Feels like this theme was tailor-made (*eyebrow wiggle*) for Kevlar's sheep, and TA probably knows that. Great work, Kevlar!


On top of all of that, it looks like many of the commenters don't even care about the above dispute, so whatever his motives, the artist can take them or leave them and that'll be the end of that.

Personally not near-enough of a sheep lover to wear this design, nor do I know any, so it won't be getting my vote. Cute concept though.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

marceepauff


quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff
Re: Prep Work


Love. +1

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Narfcake wrote:So long as it's valid, no. Other Wooters do have a point about how your critiques come across and potential underlying motives, whether they're real or perceived - NOT that this is the place for any further discussion on that.


Oh, I assure you I don't comment with criticisms to 'boost Fable's chances of winning'. I already know the effects drama ends up having on shirts. I rarely comment, and I'm much more likely to give constructive criticism to something in the fog than something lower down where I'd focus on the things they did right.

If an artist has the talent and fans to make it into the fog, they aren't total freshmans. They don't need coddling. They don't need a self-esteem boost. So I focus my comments, when I feel motivated to give them, on things to improve on.

For those that do something I might potentially like, I will still give advice, but focus more on the positives that I'd like to see them retain. An occasional fox design, or even an anthro design in the lower voting section.

But all in all, I rarely post. My shirt interests are fairly narrow, often filled by Fable and sometimes an artsy canid design or Nintendo reference. When there's actually another design I'd like to see print, I vote for it. In the mean time, I give my support to Fable as one of my few best friends, and if a design shows up I feel my art knowledge can apply to, offer constructive criticism.

I genuinely think that this design's final printing could benefit from 5-10% more saturation on the background to compensate for potential Woot printing issues. The background has a nice negative space element to it, and if it's too close to the shirt color (which in my eyes it currently is) then it will only be visible in the best of lighting conditions. And that's also the only issue I see with the design and even said that it's worth a chuckle from me.

Soooo, yeah. Just because I support Fable in my signature doesn't mean that everything I do is a mission to help her win. Kindly leave her out of this and stop treating me like the devil in disguise.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Opinions voiced as actual opinions and not facts! Hoorah!


There's always going to be the witch hunters as long as there are popular artists. Do artists with a following and fans generally garner more votes? Yes. Is that the fault of the fans or the artist? Technically yes, since it's the artist who has a good enough talent to gather those fans and said fans are doing the voting.

Honestly I mainly wanted to comment to thank you for one small thing: You are careful to voice your opinion as opinions, ie "I think" "I feel" "In my personal experience" etc and give decent reasons. You leave it open for the artist to come back with their own reasonings and opinions and personal experience. You actually make an effort to keep from putting people on the defensive, unlike many other commentors who simply use factual terminology such as "This is" "Never has there been" "This isn't" etc which tends to lead people to feel that the commentor believes their opinion is fact and anyone else who thinks differently is wrong. So as a general browser and basic commentor, I thank you.

I know others do this as well, who I also thank. It's just something I happened to very much notice here. So yeah, migrating back to Cracked now.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

lonelypond


quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Prep Work


yep. I have a knitting habit to pick up and this is the perfect shirt for it.

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Prep Work


Thanks very much to everyone for all the support on this!

Drama aside--to Tobias’s point, I’m confident this design would print well with the color I’ve selected. Like Sonofafish said, the focus is on the sheep. The background’s job here is to make the foreground pop—a brighter blue would compete with the foreground and be counterproductive. In contrast, with Return of the Noms, the blue was used for part of the main focus (the ghosts). Not that I want any parts of my design to disappear, but there’s a lot more blue ink here than what was used in Return of the Noms, which used comparatively thin lines; so the background should still show up.

I always appreciate critique, and I hope this helps alleviate some fears!

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
kevlar51 wrote:I always appreciate critique, and I hope this helps alleviate some fears!


The ghosts printed just fine on Noms; the part that I was disappointed with was the graveyard background. It appears to have enough contrast on the computer version, but the printed version it was nearly impossible to make out without really good lighting. Not even in regards to 'clarity' but simply noticing there's even something there.

And again, while it certainly is a bit brighter to begin with, I was suggesting only a 5-10% increase from the point it's at. Very minor, but enough to compensate for the dulling of the color. Something between the two colors used on Noms; say, 1/3 of the way to the ghost blue when comparing to the background color.

Once again, only my opinion on the matter, given after seeing a Navy shirt using a blue in the background.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
TobiasAmaranth wrote:The ghosts printed just fine on Noms; the part that I was disappointed with was the graveyard background. It appears to have enough contrast on the computer version, but the printed version it was nearly impossible to make out without really good lighting. Not even in regards to 'clarity' but simply noticing there's even something there.

And again, while it certainly is a bit brighter to begin with, I was suggesting only a 5-10% increase from the point it's at. Very minor, but enough to compensate for the dulling of the color. Something between the two colors used on Noms; say, 1/3 of the way to the ghost blue when comparing to the background color.

Once again, only my opinion on the matter, given after seeing a Navy shirt using a blue in the background.


Ah gotcha. Understood, but I'm still going to stick with my main position--the background's role is to bolster the sheep, and I think it accomplishes that.

Hope I've got your vote either way!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail